Start by marking “Home Before Dark” as Want to Read:
Home Before Dark

Home Before Dark

A woman returns to the house made famous by her father’s bestselling horror memoir. Is the place really haunted by evil forces, as her father claimed? Or are there more earthbound—and dangerous—secrets hidden within its walls?

"What was it like? Living in that house."

Maggie Holt is used to such questions. Twenty-five years ago, she and her parents, Ewan and Jess, moved into
Expected publication: July 7th 2020 by Dutton Books

To ask other readers questions about Home Before Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Before Dark

Start your review of Home Before Dark
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Will the fourth one be the best one yet??
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love an author’s vivid creativity and trying something unexpected to exceed his or her previous writing performances by taking a challenge and trying something brand new.

Riley Sager is one of the most brilliant authors raises the bars and waltz between genres and serves us fresh baked from oven kind of delicious, soul crushing, mind numbing, exhilarating, surprising stories with WTF I just read kind of twisty, the rug pulled out from your feet kind of endings.
This time he dances between
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Oct 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-books
SCREAMS IN THRILLER
megs_bookrack
ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS COVER!!!!????

It is the most beautiful creation of all time.
My heart is filled with pure joy just by looking at it!

And the synopsis!?

Don't even get me started. SO. ON. BRAND.
The countdown officially begins...
Tucker
Nov 15, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
Recommended to Tucker by: Dutton
more Riley Sager!!

also, this cover is super creepy. i don't know why, it just reminds me of a nightmare i used to have

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn | YouTube |
Jordy’s Book Club
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
QUICK TAKE: Sager fans rejoice. If you enjoyed his previous novels, you'll enjoy this one. A multi-generational haunted house story that gave me "Haunting of Hill House" vibes is very much it's own thing. A few good scares, an engaging mystery with unreliable narrators, and SNAKES!! You've still got a few months until this one is officially released, but for many of you, it will be worth the wait.
Nick
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
straight to my TBR
menna hafez
Dec 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
I hope this book will be good, I can't handle another disappointed from this author
Holly  B
Oct 10, 2019 marked it as to-read

Yay!!!! Can not wait!
Andrea C. *andreandherbookss*
I don't even know what this book, but I can't wait! Another Riley Sager book coming out in 2020...sign me up!
Amy Imogene Reads
Oct 21, 2019 marked it as to-read
I am ready ...more
♡ Dakota ♡ (Sarcasm is my middle name)
After Lock Every Door I will read anything by this author. And can we appreciate the consistency of his covers. I always anticipate what the next one will look like.
Jillian Doherty
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
From the first page it feels delightfully reminiscent of Haunting on Hill House and Amityville Horror - The story continues to evolves in the best page-turning way possible! I don't want to give anything away as can't speak highly enough of how good this read is :D preeee-order!

Galley borrowed from the publisher.
Cassie
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
A story with ghosts in it?? Written by Riley Sager???

SIGN ME THE HECK UP!
Eilidh
Nov 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
AHHHH! I’ve JUST finished screaming! It’s here folks, the next Riley Sager novel, and it’s GREEN!

A potential haunted house story is just what I needed to keep my Halloween loving heart beating.

I can’t wait. And that greeeeen is to die for! Love it
 Reading Divergence
I was enamoured of Riley Sager 's first two novels, FINAL GIRLS and THE LAST TIME I LIED. His third mystery, LOCK EVERY DOOR, I've not yet read. The description for HOME BEFORE DARK really excited me, because I love a Haunting above all else.

However: the pre-Prologue, told from contemporary (adult) Maggie's point of view, didn't set me up for the story. Now the Prologue, when Maggie was five and the family freshly moved into the unusual, if not quite, unique, Baneberry House in a significantly
Tonya (Rustic Book Reviews)
Jan 22, 2020 marked it as tbr-most-anticipated
I NEED THIS NOW

Riley has become one of my top favorite authors!!!
Cassie Lola (holo.reader)
Dec 27, 2019 marked it as wishlist-books
I'll keep buying every single thing Riley Sager puts out, thank you very much!

Etsy|Twitter|Bookstagram|Instagram

Brittney Michelle Cox
[01/13/20] Prerelease thoughts. HOLY FORKING SHIRT. I am so excited for my yearly July Riley Sager Thriller Read. This is tradition now.

*Fingers crossed for it to be a BOTM pick for June/July*
Sarah- Pupsandprose
Dec 17, 2019 marked it as to-read
Another Riley Sager book?!? I cannot wait
Nina
Oct 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
OH MY GOD IT SOUNDS LIKE WHAT MY HEART NEEDS AFTER READING THE TURN OF THE KEY!!!
Jg
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just wow! I’ve enjoyed Riley Sager’s books but I think Home Before Dark takes her writing to a whole new level. A Scary, creepy, page turning plot that has more twists than a roller coaster.
Just when I thought I had it all figured out, something else would happen in the book that added another twisted level of intrigue, and the story kept getting better and better.
At the age of 5, Maggie’s parents bought a huge, old mansion in Vermont that already had old terrible stories attached to its
Marie
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book! I loved the last two that I read by Sager and once again, this one did not disappoint!!!! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I read. I must admit I was scared/freaked out at times and had a hard time reading this at night or alone. That is why it took me longer to read it. I will continue reading Sager’s books! Every time I thought I had something figured out another twist was thrown my way! Great read that I wanted to see what ...more
Amy lifewiththe_williams
Riley Sager has always been amazing but seriously gets better with every book he writes! It’s like he’s in my head and knows exactly what *I* want to read and is hitting the target every single time. Home Before Dark was beyond unputdownable. It was such a creepy, jump scare, thrill ride. I will be recommending this title to everyone!
Dsbook
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I requested this book I was not sure what type book it was going to be. Horror,,paranormal,romance? This book was so full of twists and turns that I had no idea who did it. It did tie all lose ties up in the end and had a surprising ending. I enjoyed reading this book very much. Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this book
Brie
I loved Riley Sager's take on a popular trope of the haunted house story. It had all the elements you come to expect from that kind of story, but done with his own flair. Home Before Dark was perfectly paced and thoroughly enjoyable.

Thank you Penguin Group and Netgalley for this ARC.
Hillary
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
The book within the book was super tropey, but that worked in a way that's difficult to explain. I also could have done with one fewer plot twist in the whiplash inducing conclusion, but that also kind of worked.
Jenn Estepp
Feb 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am always down for a good haunted house story, and this one is suitably creepy and very twisty. I didn’t love everything once the big reveal came, but it’s way more good than not. Great pacing, excellent cover. This is my first Sager, but I’ve got his previous books waiting on deck now.

• Things You Save in a Fire
  • The Starless Sea
  • Pretty Reckless (All Saints High, #1)
  • His True Queen (The Smoke & Mirrors Duology, #2)
  • The Controversial Princess (The Smoke & Mirrors Duology #1)
  • Blossom in Winter (Blossom in Winter, #1)
  • Tears of Tess (Monsters in the Dark, #1)
  • Dreams of 18
  • 2019 on Goodreads
  • The Man I Need (Ward Duet, #2)
  • The Flight Attendant
  • The Man I Can't Have (Ward Duet, #1)
  • The Red Lotus
  • Someone We Know
  • A Lie for a Lie (All In, #1)
  • The Empty Bed (The Burial Society, #2)
  • The Missing Sister
  • All I Ask (Paradise Beach #2)
Riley Sager is the award-winning pseudonym of a former journalist, editor and graphic designer who previously published mysteries under his real name.

Now a full-time author, Riley's first thriller, FINAL GIRLS, became a national and international bestseller and was called "the first great thriller of 2017" by Stephen King. Translation rights have been sold in more than two dozen countries.