Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: The Cuthbert Family

Comments Showing 1-50 of 237 (237 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 19, 2020 06:56PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7203 comments Mod
Hello, Cuthbert Family!

This week we are taking on Wheel of Fortune! We may be missing Pat and Vanna (for those of us in the US), but this game is guaranteed to be just as much fun.

For more information about our group challenge (including FAQs), check out this thread.

Members:
SarahKat
Kendra
Robin
Jackie
Edie
Jillian
Nancy

How It Works:
As a team, you will track your pages read, audio hours listened to, and books completed. Then, you will turn these into letter guesses to complete the fill-in-the-blank puzzle, Wheel of Fortune style.

You can earn (1) guess by:
- Reading 1000 pages as a team
- Listening to 5 hours of audio as a team
- Finishing one book

The Rules:
1. Each guess earned = 1 letter for the team to guess.
2. You may only guess consonants (no buying vowels in this game - so no A, E, I, O, or U).
3. You must make at least 5 guesses before solving the puzzle.
4. You do not have to have an available guess in order to guess the puzzle. If you guess the puzzle incorrectly, however, you will forfeit your next team guess.
5. When you solve the puzzle, you will move on to the next one!

Each puzzle has a different category that will give you a clue into the book title. Because the formatting is weird on Goodreads, check your group spreadsheet to see your progress of your puzzle. You will also record your progress and earn your guesses on the spreadsheet.

FIND YOUR SPREADSHEET HERE!

PUZZLE 1: BEFORE AND AFTER
This category will require TWO book titles, with one book title ending with the same beginning title word as the second book. The word that the two titles have in common is shaded green on your spreadsheet.

A House in the Sky/Sky in the Deep (But you would only guess the word "sky" once.)

PUZZLE 2: FAMILY
The puzzle is the name of two or more famous people who are closely related, or rarely, the name of a well-known family. In this case, it will be a book that contains the name of a family or multiple people, or will have a family relation name as part of the title (sisters, brothers, etc.).

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

PUZZLE 5: RHYME TIME
The puzzle is a phrase with rhyming words in it or a list of thematically similar things whose names rhyme. In this case, the book title will have a rhyme or alliteration within the title.

PUZZLE 6: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
The book title will (sort of) answer this question.

Since you made it through the first six puzzles I had planned in record speed, you are now entering our LIGHTNING ROUND!

New Rules for the Lightning Round:
- You must get either 2000 pages, 10 audio hours, or 2 books in order to earn one guess.
- In addition to vowels, you are not allowed to guess R, S, or T!

*All previously earned guesses will carry over into the lightning round.

PUZZLE 7: BEST SELLER
This book has been in the first place spot on the NY Times Best Sellers list.

PUZZLE 8: ON THE MENU
Titles will contain a word relating to food or drink.

PUZZLE 9 & 10: PERSON
Book titles in this category contain someone's first and/or last name.

message 2: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1303 comments Mod
This looks awesome! Go Cuthberts!

message 3: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Sep 11, 2020 01:52PM) (new)

Robin P | 1820 comments Mod
I recognize all the other team names but what book are the Cuthberts in?

** just realized Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert take in Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables

message 4: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Yep!

message 5: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, I recognized all the other team name too and had to look up Cuthberts.

message 6: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments Lol. For me, I recognize all the names except for Finch.... it rings a bell, but I just can't place it.....

message 7: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments The family in To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus, Scout and Jen.

message 8: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments Jillian wrote: "The family in To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus, Scout and Jen."

Thanks. I haven't read that book since high school. I had completely forgotten their last name.

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments My son is working on a book report for To Kill a Mockingbird right now otherwise I might not have recognized it either.

message 10: by Jillian (last edited Sep 12, 2020 11:57AM) (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Last night, my hardback copy of The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson just came in so I'm excited that this team challenge is more relaxed so I can read it and not feel bad because it is over a 1000 pages long. It should be a some what faster read since I think this is my 3rd reread. I'm one of those people who has to reread a series from the start when a new book is coming out in a series. I also have two short audio books planned,The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue 3h 19mins left and The Young Elites by Marie Lu p.104/356, so I should still be able to get 4 books done this week.

message 11: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments So I've already finished my first book - One Day We'll All Be Dead and None of This Will Matter by Scaachi Koul.

Can I guess the letter T?

message 12: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hi all!

When you decide on which letters you want to guess, please have one team member submit their guess on this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Be sure to include your team name and the letter you'd like to guess!

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I posted the letter T guess on the guessing thread.

Do we want to go with if you finish a book you guess the letter and then take turns for the page count/hours guesses we earn?

message 14: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments Jillian wrote: "I posted the letter T guess on the guessing thread.

Do we want to go with if you finish a book you guess the letter and then take turns for the page count/hours guesses we earn?"

That works. Thanks for guessing the T for me.

message 15: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Sep 12, 2020 03:50PM) (new)

I just finished one - Blind Justice. I was confused about where to guess. I would like to guess the letter S. I just submitted it.

message 16: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat I'm here and reading! I just logged my audio hour. Trying to get this book I'm working on finished tonight.

message 17: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

I finished my audiobook of Plan for the Worst

message 18: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I went ahead and add my times so far for today. I will just add what I read tonight to tomorrow's numbers since I don't plan on logging back in tonight.

message 19: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1303 comments Mod
I had to dnf The Inheritance Games...I logged the additional 43 pages I got through today but I'm going to have to switch to a different book. Ughhhh.

message 20: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

I will guess H for my 2nd book finished. Word 5 might be The.

message 21: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat Finished my book! I'm going to guess N. Possibly an or in or no for the 2 letter word..

message 22: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Just remembered I have actually been to Green Gables on Prince Edward Island, the "Cuthbert" house. I was with a group and all the men were so-so about it while all the women were thrilled. You can tour the house and grounds and of course there is a gift shop.

message 23: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, did you finish 2 books yesterday? The spreadsheet is only showing one. If you did finish two once we update the spreadsheet we can then resubmit the guess for N.

message 24: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, I updated the spreadsheet since I looked at your book shelf and saw you finished Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11). Do you know how many pages/audio hours you listened to yesterday so we can add them to the spreadsheet.

That is really cool that you have been to Green Gables!

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

When you're ready to submit your guess for your puzzle, you can do that on the letter guesses thread as well!

message 26: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

After much thought, I decided to lower the page requirement to more closely match the audiobook requirement.

You may now earn one guess for every 1000 pages.

The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect that change.

message 27: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 973 comments Super busy day yesterday so I didn't get much reading done. I plan to make up for it today.

message 28: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I finished The Finest Hours: The True Story of the U.S. Coast Guard's Most Daring Sea Rescue so I'm going to guess D.

We also have 1 guess for audio hours.

message 29: by Jillian (last edited Sep 13, 2020 11:19AM) (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I think our first title is Me and Earl and Dying Girl

second title Girl Wash Your Face

message 30: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 973 comments I finished The Death of Bees.

Do I guess for the second puzzle?

message 31: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Puzzle guesses must be submitted and verified on the guess thread before you can move on to the second puzzle!

message 32: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (last edited Sep 13, 2020 11:42AM) (new)

Jillian wrote: "Robin, I updated the spreadsheet since I looked at your book shelf and saw you finished Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11). Do you know how many pages/audio hours you listened to..."

Sorry, I am confused about all the things to update. It was equivalent to 109 pages. There were exactly 100 pages left in Blind Justice, I made sure to stop there the night before.

I am also confused about how the number of guesses works, I thought we got one each time we finished a book or each time we had a certain number of pages read.

message 33: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I will go ahead and post that as our guess. Then we can find out if, I'm right or we need to keep guessing for title 1.

message 34: by Nancy (last edited Sep 13, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 973 comments Jillian it's Me and Earl And the Dying Girl, don't forget the "the!"

message 35: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Thanks, Nancy for catching that.

message 36: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Jillian wrote: "I think our first title is Me and Earl and Dying Girl

second title Girl Wash Your Face"

Brilliant!

message 37: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, you are correct on the guesses each time we finish a book. Finished books just have to be added to the spreadsheet to earn a guess. It would be too much for Emily to have to check the threads for finished books.

message 38: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Jillian wrote: "Robin, you are correct on the guesses each time we finish a book. Finished books just have to be added to the spreadsheet to earn a guess. It would be too much for Emily to have to check the thread..."

Thanks, I was confused between the tracking thread and the actual spreadsheet. I will get on track!

message 39: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, so 209 pages for both your books? I can add them to the spreadsheet or you can.

message 40: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Robin, I added 209 pages for you if it is wrong we can fix the page count. I'm going to out for awhile hopefully we will be on to our next title when I check back in.

message 41: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 973 comments Guess for puzzle 2: T

message 42: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments I just finished The Grammarians I think I'm going to guess a G.

message 43: by Nancy (last edited Sep 13, 2020 01:58PM) (new)

Nancy (fancynancyt) | 973 comments We have 2 guesses available, I'm thinking H, anyone else have a guess? S maybe?

message 44: by Kendra (new)

Kendra | 842 comments Jillian wrote: "I think our first title is Me and Earl and Dying Girl

second title Girl Wash Your Face"

I'm amazed you managed to figure that out from so few letters!

message 45: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments I did a word search with the word having d...n. Since I knew there could not be too many words with that combination and I saw dying and typed it into GR.

message 46: by Edie (new)

Edie | 835 comments Hi team, I am back in town after spending the weekend with family at a lake where I didn't have access to to our spreadsheet or comments. Time playing games with grandkids really cut into my reading. Great start team!

message 47: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Jillian wrote: "Robin, I added 209 pages for you if it is wrong we can fix the page count. I'm going to out for awhile hopefully we will be on to our next title when I check back in."

Yes, that is correct, thanks.

message 48: by Robin P, Orbicular Mod (new)

Where do we see Puzzle 2?

message 49: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Edie, that sounds like a fun weekend!

Robin, there is a tab labeled puzzle 2 Theme: Family

Word 1: T_ _ (3 letters)

Word 2: (7 letters)

Word 3: _ _ _ T _ _ (6 letters)

message 50: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 1668 comments Nancy wrote: "We have 2 guesses available, I'm thinking H, anyone else have a guess? S maybe?"

These sound like good letters to guess. I’ll post them on the guessing thread.

« previous 1 3 4 5