Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Elsewhere
This topic is about Elsewhere
Stand Alone Novels 2008-2020 > Elsewhere (Group Read - October/November 2020)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 6054 comments Mod
Elsewhere will be released on October 20, 2020. Elsewhere will be featured as a Koontzland Group Read for two months after being released (through the end of 2020).

About the book:

The fate of the world is in the hands of a father and daughter in an epic novel of wonder and terror by Dean Koontz, the #1 New York Times bestselling master of suspense.

Since his wife, Michelle, left seven years ago, Jeffy Coltrane has worked to maintain a normal life for himself and his eleven-year-old daughter, Amity, in Suavidad Beach. It’s a quiet life, until a local eccentric known as Spooky Ed shows up on their doorstep.

Ed entrusts Jeffy with hiding a strange and dangerous object—something he calls “the key to everything”—and tells Jeffy that he must never use the device. But after a visit from a group of ominous men, Jeffy and Amity find themselves accidentally activating the key and discovering an extraordinary truth. The device allows them to jump between parallel planes at once familiar and bizarre, wondrous and terrifying. And Jeffy and Amity can’t help but wonder, could Michelle be just a click away?

Jeffy and Amity aren’t the only ones interested in the device. A man with a dark purpose is in pursuit, determined to use its grand potential for profound evil. Unless Amity and Jeffy can outwit him, the place they call home may never be safe again.

Elsewhere by Dean Koontz

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (justinelily) | 14 comments Cool. What's one more on the TBR pile.

message 3: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Hell yeah, add it to the pile! Happy Reading!

Matthew | 175 comments I'm delighted this tale is being released just in time for Halloween. :) As for TBR piles…I am in the middle of 4 books right now. Not bragging, just admitting to what a ridiculously short attention span I have heh. One of the four is Devoted…which I hope to finish mid-August.

message 5: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Matthew wrote: "I'm delighted this tale is being released just in time for Halloween. :) As for TBR piles…I am in the middle of 4 books right now. Not bragging, just admitting to what a ridiculously short attentio..."

I'm currently reading 5 books and I'm always reading at least 2 at the same time. I mostly use audio books, but I always have one that I'm reading in print copy only - usually books that I can't get easily on audio. I'm not a speed reader - but audio helps.
The thing about reading multiple books at the same time, I find common threads that connect them, such as a character's names or particular words that stand out - it's fun to see the patterns emerge.
I finally finished Devoted this week :-)

message 6: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 464 comments This looks good!!!

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Barbara wrote: "This looks good!!!"

Yes. Sounds intriguing! I love alternate realities, so here's hoping it's a winner :-)

Matthew | 175 comments I don't think Koontz has written an entire novel dealing in alternate realities so I'm excited to see how creative the whole thing is! Starting his writing life as a sci-fi writer I'm sure it'll be good...and The Bad Place didn't get into alternate realities per se buuuut that book had one scene that FELT like one.

message 9: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Aug 03, 2020 05:50PM) (new) - added it

Matthew wrote: "I don't think Koontz has written an entire novel dealing in alternate realities so I'm excited to see how creative the whole thing is! Starting his writing life as a sci-fi writer I'm sure it'll be..."

This year, I started using the term "alternate reality" as on of my Goodreads shelves. I do use the term rather loosely. I've included two Dean Koontz titles on the shelf so far (both from Group Reads this year):
Devoted by Dean Koontz Dragon Tears by Dean Koontz

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 371 comments I'm excited about a new Koontz book. Sounds good like an old fashioned good vs evil story. Fun and mysterious gadgets and time/universe jumping all sound great.

message 11: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Mary wrote: "Fun and mysterious gadgets and time/universe jumping all sound great."

Hell yeah! I can barely contain my excitement! :-)

message 12: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments Nice description on the book - added it to my list - thanks

message 13: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Excellent Fred. I hope Elsewhere is as unique and intriguing as it sounds!

Matthew | 175 comments The problem with a book (or a movie) having such a cool premise is it sets the entertainment bar SO high that it makes disappointment a bit more possible. We all know Koontz is delightfully creative so it's very possible he'll pull this one off. Let's hope so!

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Yes. I'm hoping for the best. I had high hopes for 77SS which also had a unique premise. I've only read it once so should give it another chance. The most recent DK Stand Alone that I was impressed with is Ashley Bell. The Jane Hawk series did not disappoint.

message 16: by Shastina , Koontzland Social Media Moderator (new) - added it

Shastina  Henderson (shastinahenderson) | 92 comments Mod
I tend to like his more sci-fi stuff most! This looks interesting as heck but I'm cautious to be too excited. Especially with how The Taking ended. I'm still bummed about that.

message 17: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Elsewhere has now been moved up two weeks.
Release Date is October 6th.

message 18: by Antwanette (new) - added it

Antwanette (1coolnerd) | 11 comments I can’t wait to start reading it!

message 19: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I decided to order a copy this week. It might be about a week behind release date before I receive/start the book. I was months behind on reading Devoted and I don't plan to wait that long again. Elsewhere seems very intriguing. It's taking too long to get books from the library and it's Dean Koontz, I own a copy of nearly all his readily available works - so I bought a copy.

Elsewhere will be released this coming Tuesday October 6th

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 83 comments Preordered. Can't wait!

Matthew | 175 comments I really hope I like this better than Devoted...rated that only 3 stars and it's the first book in a long time where I havent written a review. Frankly, I didn't know what the heck to say since I felt so conflicted over my "meh" reaction to the book.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 371 comments I am really looking forward to the new Koontz book...always do.
I am hoping that it is better than Devoted---won't take much (ha)
This sounds like a combo of the Fear Nothing books and Firestarter by Stephen King.
This one doesn't seem to have been promoted as much and I think that will help. Devoted was promoted and built up often and raised my expectations. But the build-up was misleading. The story was not as advertised and I think that led me to very negative feelings about it. I am also hoping that this one doesn't have the gore.

Matthew | 175 comments Mary wrote: "I am really looking forward to the new Koontz book...always do.
This sounds like a combo of the Fear Nothing books and Firestarte..."

I was surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response by regular readers like you and me...4.5 stars with over 4,000 reviews! That led me to wonder what the heck I was missing during my reading and ya know what? Im still kinda wondering. Heh

message 24: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Oct 06, 2020 04:11PM) (new) - added it

Mary wrote: "I am really looking forward to the new Koontz book...always do.
This sounds like a combo of the Fear Nothing books and Firestarte..."

Matthew wrote: "I really hope I like this better than Devoted...rated that only 3 stars and it's the first book in a long time where I havent written a review. Frankly, I didn't know what the heck to say since I f..."

I agree with both of you. Devoted was rather mediocre.

Elsewhere is available tomorrow Tuesday October 6.

message 25: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

From the Desk of Dean Koontz

Dear Faithful Readers,

My latest novel, Elsewhere, is available today in hardcover, eBook, and audio.

We’re also developing a service that will send a troupe of mimes to your house to act out the story in a most dramatic fashion, though this might not be available until my next novel. We have a few wrinkles to iron out: 1) we need to bring the price down from $77,000 to $89.95; 2) we need to have the mimes vetted to be sure none of them has a criminal record, because although we have asked them about this multiple times, we can’t get a straight answer from them, or any answer at all, other than gestures we can’t interpret; 3) we need to get the length of the performance down from three weeks to one day; 4) we need to obtain health insurance for them, as mimes tend to be assaulted and fiercely beaten more often than you would think; 5) and we have to determine the size of the cast to know how many Porta Potties must be sent to your address.

Elsewhere is the story of Jeffy Coltrane and his daughter, 11-year-old Amity, into whose hands falls an amazing device called the Key to Everything. In short order, they find themselves pursued by nefarious agents of a mysterious organization, murderous psychopaths, a pet too hideous and dangerous to be of any interest to any program whatsoever on the Animal Planet network, and horrors of which I will not speak here. But you know me, my friends: I always thread hope through the dread and chaos.

Writing this novel, I was often on the edge of my seat because I cared for Jeffy and Amity yet couldn’t stop putting them through the most hellish series of events at a pace approximately that of an Olympic bobsled run. I sometimes wonder about my mental health, though never for longer than half a minute.

With Devoted and now with Elsewhere, I feel reborn as a writer, as enthusiastic as I was in the days of Watchers and Lightning and The Bad Place. I feel twenty-five again, a feeling that I maintain by never looking in a mirror and by closing my eyes for the entire time that I’m in the shower. I’m inspired by the response I’m getting from you, faithful readers, and I hope never to let you down.

Warmest regards from everyone here in Koontzland, especially from me,

Dean Koontz

Elsewhere by Dean Koontz Devoted by Dean Koontz Watchers by Dean Koontz Lightning by Dean Koontz The Bad Place by Dean Koontz

message 26: by K.L. (new) - added it

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments snagged it late last night and started it but was really too tired to focus on it so plan to restart tonight

message 27: by Mary (last edited Oct 07, 2020 06:09PM) (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 371 comments I sometimes wonder about your mental health too. :-) ha.
Maybe Gerda could benefit from a good set of white noise headphones or the sound of a jungle, although, how anyone finds that one relaxing, I will never know. I could send a gift card from Amazon as long it is not coming from China because, well you know why...

It is probably why I love you so much as your wild stories with good always winning out. You have made me believe you are a good guy unless there's a series of books and believe me you know horrible gore is on your way. So then you escalate the HORROR. thrill, and speed. Yes, that is when your mental state becomes worrisome to me. Did I say that you escalate the HORROR 50 fold? Then you get a little manic about the bad guys and escalate the HORROR and can't seem to stop! Sometimes, I think that you don't think we fully understand evil. Maybe if you give us a little credit you could cut out some gore. Start with just a little bit of a cut and then move to a tiny amount and. then STOP, assess your sanity and proceed from there. Medications are available, just saying...plus now we know most are coming from China. And I'm sure you aware that we are besties so nevermind. This is important. But that is the time the sides of the characters are most revealed---resolve, strength, and find the courage to follow through on the knowledge of what is good.. Straight up evil is fully exposed, no doubt in undeniable detail. For psychopaths this their moment of truth...well, you can always hope, but don't hold your breath! I have known several psychopaths and I can assure you they will not cave in their lust for evil and will always lie and maybe even charm people. (I was a nurse and believe me, evil is around us and very active in our world). It is easy to spot quickly when you have experience working in the ER, or anywhere in a hospital) ) Anyway, by the end and slowdown of the HORROR begins, the words that most describe the good guys are always HONOR..and TRUTH.

PS should I send that gift card?

I wish you success on Elsewhere.

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 83 comments K.L. wrote: "snagged it late last night and started it but was really too tired to focus on it so plan to restart tonight"

Also started Elsewhere last night. I was hooked and read much too late. Working on lots of coffee now.

message 29: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 464 comments I received Elsewhere today and so far I’m loving it
I’m going to try and make it last more than 1 or 2 days
🙄🙄🤣🤣

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 83 comments I am loving this one, too. Also trying to make it last, but...

message 31: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Haven't started yet . . . but soon.

message 32: by Jerry (new) - added it

Jerry (jazzlsnr) | 39 comments Just got my library hold; 20 pages in. I have a feeling this will be a 2-day read; seems to have that pace.

message 33: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I think once I start, I'll go through Elsewhere pretty quickly too.

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 83 comments It is a very quick read, because it's that good.

Vicky Stow (loofahcat2) | 42 comments Well, I loved Elsewhere and I also loved Devoted. I almost always enjoy Dean's books and can't really think of any of them I would rate as "meh." :)

Kaye  | 21 comments Yes, Elsewhere is a quick read. I didn't like it quite as much as Devoted or the Jane Hawk series. I do love the way the kids in these books are always intelligent and perceptive, instead of the silly, empty vessels most authors make of them. I enjoyed the distinction between time travel and parallel universes.

message 37: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

I finished reading Elsewhere last week. Here are the thoughts I shared in my Goodreads Review:

Like a ghastly rapid river
Through the pale door
A hideous throng rush out forever
And laugh - but smile no more.

-Edgar Allan Poe

I had some initial thoughts upon starting this epic novel of alternate realities - and let me in full disclosure state that alternate realities are really my thing and thus my opinion is certainly biased.

First, the stars are a nice touch. The hardcover features a nice gold embossed design underneath the dust jacket. Inside the cover and throughout the novel are diagrams representing different realities that have been mapped.

Second, reading Elsewhere brings to mind several other works of fiction that I have read and enjoyed. Most notable in comparison is the writing of Blake Crouch, specifically Dark Matter, Recursion and The Wayward Pines Trilogy. Another novel that came to mind was Burntown by Jennifer McMahon. And for obvious reasons a book with the same title: Elsewhere. I find books by association very intriguing.

My third initial thought was the similarities to my favorite television show which delves into alternate realities - FRINGE, initially dubbed "The New X-Files". Dean had included several references to The X-Files in his novels, especially while the show was still in production. Years ago, I wrote to Dean Koontz about FRINGE. At that time, Dean replied that he hadn't ever checked the show out. Now, I have to wonder if he's finally watched FRINGE - like The X-Files, FRINGE is much aligned with the writing of Dean Koontz.

I very much enjoyed reading ELSEWHERE. There is always the possibility that Dean Koontz could revisit these characters and setting. Koontz rarely writes sequels or series but tends to leave stories open for a possible return. In fact, decades after his fan favorite Watchers, Dean wrote a follow up published earlier this year, Devoted.

Reading ELSEWHERE, inspired me to finally add a Science Fiction bookshelf to my Goodreads experience. For further Dean Koontz variations on this theme, I would recommend the following: From the Corner of His Eye, Odd Apocalypse, The Bad Place, By the Light of the Moon and Relentless. There are of course many other science fiction novels by Dean Koontz, but I think the aforementioned are the most fun and wild rides. For an exploration of the inner landscape of the mind I would recommend Ashley Bell, a novel I've only read once but plan to revisit.
Elsewhere by Dean Koontz

message 38: by K.L. (new) - added it

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments Finally got around to finishing this one up yesterday. Overall I enjoyed the story, very cool premise, though I wouldn't consider it one of his best. Wouldn't mind seeing some kind of follow up. The chapters from the daughter's POV really did feel as if they were written by a young child...which is probably why they annoyed me so much, lol. Seriously this is proof that Koontz is insanely talented, but I must admit I cringed a bit every time the chapters switched to her POV.

message 39: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

K.L. wrote: "Finally got around to finishing this one up yesterday. Overall I enjoyed the story, very cool premise, though I wouldn't consider it one of his best. Wouldn't mind seeing some kind of follow up. Th..."

Thanks K. L. :-)
Which titles do you consider Koontz's best?

message 40: by K.L. (new) - added it

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments I love the Jane Hawk series, such a great character. As for his best...tough choice but I think for me it's a toss up between Dark Rivers of the Heart (something about that one just clicked with me) and Lightning..which I must say I appreciate more and more every time I read it. Of course I think I can say that about many of his books, such as over the summer when I reread Odd Thomas. Koontz, like King, is one of only a few authors I never hesitate to pick up their new novels. That isn't to say I have never been disappointed by either of them, but that's typically the rare exception.

message 41: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

K.L. wrote: "I love the Jane Hawk series, such a great character. As for his best...tough choice but I think for me it's a toss up between Dark Rivers of the Heart (something about that one just clicked with me..."

I've always had a tough time reading Dark Rivers of the Heart for some reason. Icebound and The Face are other strange ones for me - I'll give them another chance when chosen as group reads.
I agree with you on Jane Hawk and Lightning :-)

message 42: by K.L. (new) - added it

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments A lot of people are surprised when I say Dark Rivers. Not sure what it is, but when I read it it just really clicked with me. Seems like forever since I reread it, so not sure if I'll feel the same when I get around to giving it another go. Agree with you about Icebound, and honestly can't even remember the plot of The Face at the moment, lol.

message 43: by Mary (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 371 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I finished reading Elsewhere last week. Here are the thoughts I shared in my Goodreads Review:

Like a ghastly rapid river
Through the pale door
A hideous throng rush out forever
And laugh - but sm..."

I think you could add the Taking to your sci-fi shelf?

message 44: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 464 comments I liked Elsewhere a lot.....I’m fascinated by all things multiverse!! It is a fast read and I made it last as long as I could.

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 83 comments I agree. It was a fast read and I was totally enamoured by the confidence and savvy of that little girl.

message 46: by Fred (last edited Nov 27, 2020 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments The theme is fast/excellent. My favorite yearly Christmas movie - It’s a wonderful life showing the GW Bailey’s timeline is better in a different time.
The Key to Everything device that Spooky Ed gives to Jeffy/Amity - has keys to “Elsewhere” - Earth Prime, Earth 1.13 & others - how their lives would be.

message 47: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Mary wrote: "I think you could add the Taking to your sci-fi shelf?"
Yes, I should. Along with Winter Moon and some others. I probably won't get around to tagging them "Science Fiction" on my Goodreads shelves until I re-read or re-visit them though :-)

message 48: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

Fred wrote: "The theme is fast/excellent. My favorite yearly Christmas movie - It’s a wonderful life showing the GW Bailey’s timeline is better in a different time.
The Key to Everything device that Spooky Ed g..."

Karen wrote: "I agree. It was a fast read and I was totally enamoured by the confidence and savvy of that little girl."

Barbara wrote: "I liked Elsewhere a lot.....I’m fascinated by all things multiverse!! It is a fast read and I made it last as long as I could."

You are very intelligent Koontzlanders :-) I like the way your minds work! Let's hope next spring's release is equally captivating.

message 49: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara | 464 comments Thank you Dustin🤗🤗

message 50: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - added it

From the Desk of Dean Koontz

Dear Readers,

Tis the season to be jolly. That’s better than a season to be angry and mean. However, I find something unsettling about too much jolliness, especially when the jolly one is a snowman that has been brought to life by the magic in “an old black hat.” Whose hat was it? Huh? Did it belong to a serial killer, and did he die wearing it, and is his hideous, corrupted soul in that hat?

Frosty’s button nose is okay, but I’m creeped out by those two eyes made out of coal. We can often read other people’s intentions in their eyes, but NOT IN EYES MADE OUT OF COAL! The teeth in his grin are made of coal, too, and he’s always grinning, which suggests he’s psychotic.

According to my research, every December, wherever its reported that a snowman named Frosty has been dancing and singing, the unsolved homicide rate goes up 11.27% in that community. Am I surprised? No. No, I am not surprised. How can the police be expected to find and arrest a killer who can literally melt away?

Listen, if I was walking home on a winter night and here came a dancing, grinning, coal-eyed snowman wearing a serial killer’s hat, singing "Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree" with maniacal glee, I would not—repeat NOT—be filled with holiday cheer. I would probably do what Santa does in his pants when drunken reindeer take the sleigh on a 30,000 foot plunge.

Anyway, I digress. I hope you have a wonderful holiday season with friends and family and that perhaps you’ll find time to read my latest novel, Elsewhere or an older one that is full of good cheer and one of my favorites— Life Expectancy.

Warmest wishes from all of us in Koontzland,
Dean Koontz

« previous 1