Start by marking “Recursion” as Want to Read:
Recursion

Recursion

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  12,954 ratings  ·  2,909 reviews
Memory makes reality.

That’s what New York City cop Barry Sutton is learning as he investigates the devastating phenomenon the media has dubbed False Memory Syndrome—a mysterious affliction that drives its victims mad with memories of a life they never lived.

Neuroscientist Helena Smith already understands the power of memory. It’s why she’s dedicated her life to creating a
Published June 11th 2019 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Recursion, please sign up.
Trish No, but since there are 11 days left until Recursion releases, and Dark Matter is an AWESOME book, you might as well...
Henry
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  12,954 ratings  ·  2,909 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
me: *finishes reading any book by Blake Crouch*

me: what the fuck…..
me: [at dinner] what the fuck…
me: [trying to sleep] what the fuck….
me: [in the bathroom] what the fuck….
me: [breathing] w hAt THe F uCK
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
UPDATE: IT'S OUT!! Go read it so we can all gush about it!!

(4.5) As always, Crouch knows how to keep you on your toes and does a great job at mixing thriller and sci-fi genre.

A mysterious disease starts affecting people’s memory, giving them memories of a life they never lived. NYPD detective Barry Sutton is trying to investigated how the False Memory Syndrome is spreading and ultimately will come to face Helena Smith a neuroscientist who invented a device that’s changing the world.

Recursion wil
Emily May
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2019
But what do you cling to, moment to moment, if memories can simply change. What, then, is real?

Imagine you woke up one morning and discovered that your entire life - your job, your kids, your friends, all your experiences - wasn't real. It still feels real. You remember it vividly. But you also suddenly remember another life; your real life. And you are told that the life you remember is a result of FMS (False Memory Syndrome)-- an illusion created by your brain.

I don't know about you, but tha
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
Pleased to announce that Recursion is the #scaredsuspensebookclub pick for June 2019! Come join us in reading and discussing this one on Instagram; discussion will be posted on the 21st of the month. Can't wait to spill the tea with you all!

Book of the Month selection June 2019

**********************

"Everything will look better in the morning. There will be hope again when the light returns. The despair is only an illusion, a trick the darkness plays."

I'm convinced that Blake Crouch is THE scienc
Matthew
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All the people!
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
Fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

Pink Floyd - Time

I am just going to say it – Blake Crouch is t
Melissa
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Matter
Recommended to Melissa by: Haley
Creative. Though-provoking. Emotionally-charged. Memorable.

Whether you’re a reader that frequents the sci-fi genre, or one that only occasionally takes a risk when it comes to the suspension of disbelief (hello, that’s me!), recognizing and appreciating the level of creativity behind Blake Crouch’s work takes little effort. Time and again, Crouch has proven just how rewarding it can be to take a chance on something different. Something totally outside of my typical. With Dark Matter (one of my a
j e w e l s
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
FIVE MIND-BENDING STARS

Book readers tend to throw around words like “addictive” and “unputdownable”. But, I'm dead serious about those words. And guys, I’m here to tell you, I read RECURSION straight through dinner last night until I finished at three am this morning. What an intelligent and freakin’ addictive thriller!

The first half sets up the rest of the book and it is crucial to read carefully and try to understand the very simple quantum physics necessary to travel around in time. LOL.😂

I fi
Petrik
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi & Dark Matter fans
Recommended to Petrik by: Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Recursion has become the first sci-fi standalone to be included in my favorite shelves.

As many readers probably did, my first experience with reading Crouch’s work was for Dark Matter. I was super impressed by it and after hearing that the author has a new sci-fi thriller that’s highly recommended for readers who loved Dark Matter gave me so much joy; it would be insane for me to not take a look at Recursion. Do note that taking a look at Crouch’s novel can be surmised as reading the novel non-s
Debra
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past."
- George Orwell, 1984

This was a book I had to sit and think about before writing my review, mainly because I had to let it sink it. What would it be like to live your life over again? What would it be like to go back and change past events? How would this action affect your future? How would it affect the future of others? This book is deep and is thought provoking.

Blake Crouch has written a very ambit
Holly  B
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dark, sci-fi thriller that had my mind bending in many directions!

From the author of  Dark Matter , which has been on my reading list for some time, but still haven't read it yet.

Would you like a do-over of your life?   Hmm, that seems like a loaded question and it is! This was quite an edge of your seat, genre crossover that had me needing answers and quick.

A brilliant neuroscientist Helena Smith, has developed technology that will redefine how we think about time and memory.  Playing with
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Blake Crouch has done it again!!! Recursion was fascinating, confusing and brilliant!

Dark Matter is one of my favorite sci-fi books of all time so I was almost scared to delve into Recursion - nervous it wouldn't live up to my expectations for Crouch. This book was ambitious. Thankfully, I had nothing to fear. Mr. Crouch's brilliant mind hasn't failed us yet.

Recursion deals with memory - preserving memory, and using it to shift our reality. What a roller coaster ride this was. Can you imagine g
Paromjit
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blake Crouch's latest science fiction thriller is a complex mind messing of a thought provoking read. It is intense, time shifting and asks profound questions of identity, memory, and what it is that makes us human. Just be prepared to find yourself buffeted all over the place. I understand that the novel is going to be filmed, and I am not surprised by this, this is a twisted story that just fizzes with energy and vitality. NYPD police officer Barry Sutton tries but fails to prevent a woman lea ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five OMG I’m suffering from brain cells bleeding and explosion of my last standing grey cells, what the hell I just read and who am I ? stars!

I know the drill but let me rephrase one more time! This is not an easy, soft, sunshine and rainbows reading!

In my opinion people who are brave enough to dive into this journey should put themselves an IQ test and discover their cognitive skills. ( luckily I read the quantum physics for dummies before the beginning but I feel like I can be great cast for
Vani
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc-s, adult
Blake Crouch is simultaneously my hero and my nemesis because his books make me love the world and the English language while also making me want to rip my heart out and stomp on it soooo being approved for this arc made my entire life 100000% better.

WOW. Like. Wow. Dark Matter by Blake Crouch is one of my favorite books of all time, and I hoped I'd love this one even a fraction of that amount. Miraculously, I love it even more. I read Recursion in one sitting. This is one of those books for whi
Felicia
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
If Black Mirror served as a surrogate for Groundhog's Day and Back to the Future, Recursion would be that test tube baby.

This one starts out with a bang, or more like a plunk, as the story opens with a woman jumping from a building to her death, but not before she utters the words "My son has been erased." to Detective Barry Sutton.

What follows is two storylines, one where Barry searches for the meaning behind the woman's final words and one where researcher Helena Smith is developing a means t
Susanne  Strong
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
3 Stars.

What can I say about Blake Crouch’s new book Recursion? Well, it’s got “a Whole Lotta Crazy Going On!”

Can you say, do-over? Are your memories to be trusted? What happens if your memories are replaced with new ones and you keep re-living your life over and over?

Just ask NYPD Detective Barry Sutton, whose life has been in tatters for the last several years, ever since the death of his daughter Meghan. When he is called to the scene of a potential suicide, he learns of something called “Fa
Christina - Traveling Sister
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
5, WAT WAT WAT WAT WAT. Amazeballs stars!!!

Full review along with a recipe for huevos rancheros featured on my blog Recipe & a Read!

So, I feel like I need to start this out with a little caveat. I would put Blake Crouch’s Dark Matter in my top 5 favorite books ever read. I absolutely adored it. Was I confused at times? Yes. Was I also completely and utterly thrilled the whole time I read it? Also, yes. I was both excited and incredibly nervous to read his upcoming novel Recursion because de
Larry H
Mar 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

This was some crazy s--t.

"What's more precious than our memories? They define us and form our identities."

Blake Crouch's new book, Recursion , is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma.

Crouch's Dark Matter , which was one of the top five books I read in 2017, blew me away, even though I wasn't 100 percent sure I understood everything I read. But this book? This is a fascinating, albeit confusing, meditation on memory and how crucial what we remember is to our identity. It's
marilyn
I'm looking forward to reading more books by Blake Crouch because I enjoyed Recursion so much. We follow NYPD Barry Sutton and neuroscientist Helena Smith through decades and decades and decades of memories. They know the world is being destroyed due to Helena's invention and they try over and over to stop the destruction, with heartbreaking results, each time.

Helena invented a "memory" chair that was intended to allow a person to save memories for later when they might be suffering from dement
Kaceey
Helena is a gifted neuroscientist trying to develop a way to preserve memories. It’s personal for her. Her mother has Alzheimer’s. Helen is quickly running out of both time and funding. But at what price is she willing to move ahead?

Barry is a New York City policeman. He’s called to help talk down a woman threatening to jump from a building as she suffers from False Memory Syndrome.
So little is known about this condition. Is it contagious? Is he willing to put his own life at risk to save her?

I
Ginger
Apr 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley.

5 STARS!
Full review up!

Recursion was a science fiction thriller that kept building and building for an epic finale!

I’m still thinking about the ending of Recursion today. It’s a hard driving look into what is the meaning of déjà vu, much less the possibilities of rewriting mistakes and tragedies in your life.

Recursion starts off with a woman jumping to her death in front of NYPD detective, Barry Sutton. Barry doesn’t un
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars, rounding up. On sale now! Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

description
A sort of memory chair ...

Recursion begins with a dual timeline in alternating chapters, a familiar literary approach, but then splinters into razor-sharp time shards as the characters deal with the explosive consequences of a new technology relating to personal memory.

In November 2018, detective Barry Sutton attempts to prevent a woman from jumping from the 41st floor of a New York City tower. The woman, Ann, tells
Linda
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Memories stay.......People don't.

Detective Barry Sutton, Central Robbery Division of the NYPD, races to the 41st floor of the Poe Building known for its Art Deco motif and certainly not for what is about to happen. A lone woman is perched on the edge in more ways than one. She looks imploringly at Barry and tells him in a breaking voice that her son has been "erased". Before Barry can even blink, the woman falls to her death.

What's real, Barry?

A paralyzing question that will run like a gazelle s
Liz
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I’m not a fan of sci-fi, but I loved Dark Matter and am fascinated by issues involving memory. So this one was a no brainer to read. In 2007, Neuroscientist Helena Smith is devoting her life to creating a technology to preserve our memories. Meanwhile, folks in 2018 are suffering from False Memory Syndrome, an affliction in which a person literally has memories of living an entirely different life. Barry Sutton is a detective that attempts to save a woman from suicide when she is suffering from ...more
jessica
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
the thing i admire about blake crouch is how he can take a story centred in one particular genre, but make it accessible and enjoyable to everyone. this book is everything that is right in the sci-fi world and is proof that sci-fi can be written exceptionally well and appeal to the masses, regardless of individual genre preferences.

not only is this story living in a dangerously close reality, where scientific and technological advances play a massive role in society (for better or worse), but th
Bradley
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have no problems in announcing that this book ought to be a multi-multi-billion-dollar bestseller.

Maybe I'm biased, too, but damn, this guy can write a great novel that tickles all my SF bones and reminds me how much I love well-crafted thrillers. Does this remind you of his Dark Matter? It should.

And if you loved the ideas behind The Butterfly Effect, Flatliners, and Groundhog Day, I'm certain you're going to fall head-over-heels for this novel.

Am I giving too much away? No. Probably not. T
preoccupiedbybooks
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
A thrilling, brutal and action packed sci-fi, which made me feel ALL the emotions!

If you liked Dark Matter then I think you should definitely read this mind bending tale of time and memory.

This story blew my mind! How does Blake Crouch come up with this shit?! Like he must be some kind of genius! I still haven't got my mind fully wrapped around some of the events in this book!
description
I wont spoil you, as this is best enjoyed when you don't know what's coming! All you need to know is that the story start
Lisa
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: net-galley
My thanks to Crown Publishing, Blake Crouch and Netgalley. Once again I received a gratis copy, all for the price of a measly review! What's funny is that I truly hate reviewing books, but for some author's, I'll go through it! Or as I call it hell and high water!
First of all I have read Mr. Crouch since 2013. When I got my first kindle fire. I bought everything he had written, and loved most of it. Most! Man, all my favorite storytellers eventually scare the crap out of me. I love that and hate
Jilly
Ready to be mind-fucked? Again? Blake Crouch fucked us in Dark Matter, and now he's texting us at midnight saying, "you up?"

Much like with this book, I'm intrigued....

When I first started reading I was a little thrown off by the writing style. It is written in the present tense, which is unusual, so it felt a little strange until I got used to it. But, it makes a lot of sense as a creative choice because of how important time is in the story. That is my geeky grammarian talking. She needed you t
Erin
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
5 messed with my mind stars!

Blake Crouch is a new to me author and he's definitely earned a spot on my favorites of 2019. It's been awhile since I have been so fascinated with a novel that I completely lost track of time. Recursion presents a big what if in his latest book, "what if you could have the chance to turn back time?"

Barry Sutton, an NYPD detective finds himself in this exact situation as an ordinary day at work leads him into a deeper investigation. Meanwhile, in another time and
Play Book Tag: Recursion by Blake Crouch 7 25 Jul 16, 2019 07:39PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Recursion by Blake Crouch - Starting July 1, 2019 24 35 Jul 12, 2019 09:40PM

• Wanderers
  • The Last
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Lock Every Door
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Last Widow (Will Trent, #9)
  • The Homecoming
  • Searching for Sylvie Lee
  • All the Wrong Places
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more
“Life with a cheat code isn't life. Our existence isn't something to be engineered or optimized for the avoidance of pain. That's what it is to be human - the beauty and the pain, each meaningless without the other.” 11 likes
“Everything will look better in the morning.
There will be hope again when the light returns.
The despair is only an illusion, a trick the darkness plays.”
7 likes