Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Recursion

Recursion by Blake Crouch

47207032

bookshelves: from-publisher, netgalley, scared-suspense-reads
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis

CONGRATULATIONS- Goodreads Choice Awards Science Fiction Winner!

**********************

"Everything will look better in the morning. There will be hope again when the light returns. The despair is only an illusion, a trick the darkness plays."

I'm convinced that Blake Crouch is THE science fiction/fantasy author of our time. You know, the one that readers pre-order their books without reading the description, the one that 50 years from now people are still talking about, dissecting his plot points and their dual meanings? Yeah, that's Crouch. If you don't agree, then that's ok, I'll respect your opinion. But also, FIGHT ME. While I've enjoyed all of the author's novels to date, Dark Matter is the one that sealed the deal in making me a life long fan. (But also Desert Places) Recursion is another worthy entry in Crouch's SFF productions, and one that felt reminiscent of Dark Matter, which made me a very happy Chelsea. Yes, the plot is unique in it's own way, but it still gave off those complex vibes that are a cross between "exciting, high concept thriller" and "deep, emotional family drama".

"How would I know if one had changed? What would it feel like?"

The premise of this novel is simple: What would happen if the memories contained inside your mind had never occurred? I'm not entirely sure how the author devised the plot for this book, but I imagine it stemmed from a simple question, not altogether different from the one presented above. Once you've read the book, it's easy to see how an entire novel could spring from such an innocent thought. It's clear that Crouch has a way with writing sagas that pull the heartstrings, because all of his ideas that evolve into stories are a delicate balance of intellectually stimulating action and moving, emotional love mingled with loss. The kicker is that the author knows how to write a science fiction that seems so dangerously close to reality, you find yourself turning the last page, shaking your head and chuckling because that could NEVER happen, but secretly wondering if it possibly could.

If you enjoyed Dark Matter and its extraordinary premise, you'll likely fall head over heels for Recursion as well. A few of the same concepts are used in both novels, but each of these books are truly a labor of love in their own, unique way. Once again, I have found myself floored at how a person's mind could concoct such a brilliant scheme, and I'm looking forward to finding out where Crouch chooses to take us next.

*Many thanks to the publisher for providing my review copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Recursion.

December 11, 2018 – Shelved
May 13, 2019 – Started Reading
May 16, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)

Melissa Say what?! 😧💃🏻🙌🏻

Chelsea Humphrey Melissa wrote: "Say what?! 😧💃🏻🙌🏻"

I have no idea how that will work logistically but it sounds intriguing! Maybe a film followed up by Netflix series? 🧐

Stacey Camp This book rocked me to my core. Definitely the book to read in 2019!

Chelsea Humphrey Stacey wrote: "This book rocked me to my core. Definitely the book to read in 2019!"

Yay! So happy to hear that!

message 5: by Destiny (new) - added it

Destiny What??? I didn't know Shonda Rhimes was picking it up? Oh wow! Book news doesn't get better than that.

Chelsea Humphrey Destiny wrote: "What??? I didn't know Shonda Rhimes was picking it up? Oh wow! Book news doesn't get better than that."

Right?! I’ve been doing my happy dance for quite awhile!

Carol Cool....sign me up for the movie! Thx. for info!

Chelsea Humphrey Carol wrote: "Cool....sign me up for the movie! Thx. for info!"

Thanks so much, Carol! I'll be reading this one soon thanks to your fab review!

Carol Chelsea wrote: "Carol wrote: "Cool....sign me up for the movie! Thx. for info!"

Thanks so much, Carol! I'll be reading this one soon thanks to your fab review!"

Hope you love it too Chelsea!

Chelsea Humphrey Carol wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Carol wrote: "Cool....sign me up for the movie! Thx. for info!"

Hope you love it too Chelsea!"

Thank you! :)

Matthew Need.This.Now.

Chelsea Humphrey Matthew wrote: "Need.This.Now."

It was a little slow for the first 10% but now it's taken off and I cannot put it down!

message 13: by Tory (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tory I SO EXCITED for this book!

Chelsea Humphrey Tory wrote: "I SO EXCITED for this book!"

Hooray! <3 I hope you enjoy it!

message 15: by Tory (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tory So excited I'm leaving verbs out of my sentences, apparently!

Chelsea Humphrey Tory wrote: "So excited I'm leaving verbs out of my sentences, apparently!"

LOL I love it!!!

message 17: by Jess☺️ (new)

Jess☺️ Glad you enjoyed it Chelsea 🌻

Chelsea Humphrey Jess☺️ wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Chelsea 🌻"

Thanks, hun! <3

message 19: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Jordan But will it make me feel tiny, insignificant & terrified the way Dark Matter did?! Great review, I can't wait for this. Dark Matter was amazing.

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Fantastic review!!

Chelsea Humphrey Deanna wrote: "Fantastic review!!"

Thanks De!

Lisa wrote: "But will it make me feel tiny, insignificant & terrified the way Dark Matter did?! Great review, I can't wait for this. Dark Matter was amazing."

It most certainly will! I can't wait for you to read this one, Lisa. <3

Zoeytron Love your review, Chelsea. Looking forward to this one!

Chelsea Humphrey Zoeytron wrote: "Love your review, Chelsea. Looking forward to this one!"

Thank you so much, ZT; hope you enjoy it as well!

message 24: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin This is on my June ARC list and I picked it out of mere curiousity as BC is often trending on my Goodreads. Your review makes me excited to get into it. Terrific review, Chelsea!

Aneil Dark Matter quickly became one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time. I’m so glad that Goodreads alerted me to this new book, and I can’t wait to download the Audible version on June 11.

Chelsea Humphrey Aneil wrote: "Dark Matter quickly became one of my favorite sci-fi novels of all time. I’m so glad that Goodreads alerted me to this new book, and I can’t wait to download the Audible version on June 11."

Aneil, I'm eager to hear your thoughts on the Audible version! Hope you enjoy it.

Erin wrote: "This is on my June ARC list and I picked it out of mere curiousity as BC is often trending on my Goodreads. Your review makes me excited to get into it. Terrific review, Chelsea!"

Thanks, Erin! I hope you enjoy it. <3

Barbara You convinced me Chelsea. I requested this from Netgalley. 😎💖🍀

Chelsea Humphrey Barbara wrote: "You convinced me Chelsea. I requested this from Netgalley. 😎💖🍀"

Hooray! Hope you enjoy, Barbara! <3

message 29: by Leslie (new) - added it

Leslie My BOTM selection for June.

Chelsea Humphrey Leslie wrote: "My BOTM selection for June."

Yay!I hope you enjoy it, friend! <3

Karen Rush Loved this book. Great review, Chelsea.

Chelsea Humphrey Karen wrote: "Loved this book. Great review, Chelsea."

I'm so glad you enjoyed this one as well! <3

Susanne  Strong Great review Chelsea! Glad you liked this more than I did. :)

Chelsea Humphrey Susanne wrote: "Great review Chelsea! Glad you liked this more than I did. :)"

Thanks Susanne! I hope your next read is a perfect fit for you! <3

message 35: by Avril (new)

Avril Thanks. I am giving him a go.

message 36: by Avril (new)

Avril Thanks, Chelsea. I have downloaded the first of his trilogy

Chelsea Humphrey Avril wrote: "Thanks, Chelsea. I have downloaded the first of his trilogy"

Avril wrote: "Thanks. I am giving him a go."

Awesome! I hope you enjoy it, Avril!

message 38: by Evie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Evie Oo - have not read Desert Places, but yes - I agree that he's the best sci-fi/fantasy author of our time. After Run (I'd read the Whispering Pines trilogy then went 'looking') - I was hooked!

I didn't pre-order but did grab it the day it came out and finishes it in 2 days. Will look up that tag on IG!

Chelsea Humphrey Evie wrote: "Oo - have not read Desert Places, but yes - I agree that he's the best sci-fi/fantasy author of our time. After Run (I'd read the Whispering Pines trilogy then went 'looking') - I was hooked!

I di..."

Oh so thrilled you loved this one Evie! <3 And we would love to have you come join the group!