Start by marking “Dark Matter” as Want to Read:
Dark Matter

Dark Matter

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  100,581 Ratings  ·  15,152 Reviews
“Are you happy with your life?”

Those are the last words Jason Dessen hears before the masked abductor knocks him unconscious.

Before he awakens to find himself strapped to a gurney, surrounded by strangers in hazmat suits.

Before a man Jason’s never met smiles down at him and says, “Welcome back, my friend.”

In this world he’s woken up to, Jason’s life is not the one he k
Published July 26th 2016 by Crown

To ask other readers questions about Dark Matter, please sign up.

Jeremy Sometimes.
Often not.
A lot of pages read like this.
Broken.
Up.
Needlessly.
Jamie Rich To me, it's almost more of a love story and choices not made thingy?

Emily May
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2016, botm
I suppose we’re both just trying to come to terms with how horrifying infinity really is.

This book made me feel tiny. It was overwhelming and scary, but oh so very gripping too.

Dark Matter is the kind of compelling "I must know WTF is going on" book that makes you forget about everything else you had to do that day. You step into this world - this absolute mind fuck of a world that will tug at both your heart strings and your brain cells - and you don't want to come out until you know how it
Regan
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This book f*cked me up.
Jennifer Masterson
LOVED IT!!! This book is insanity in a box! 5 stars! Believe the hype! Do not read many reviews! If you like sci fi or want something different and can suspend disbelief read or listen to this book!

This is the audio version review! The audio narrated by actor, Jon Lindstrom, is as good as it gets! He was the perfect narrator for "Dark Matter". This man was born to narrate books! He's that good!

"Dark Matter" starts out pretty simple and then very quickly it turns insane and just keeps getting cra
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Dr. Mr. Crouch,

I was first introduced to your work via my Aunt Janet “The Librarian” years ago; she started me off with your Andrew Z. Thomas/Luther Kite series and I knew I’d found a new favorite author. I branched out on my own and decided to try the Wayward Pines series; somehow I ended up liking that even more than the previous. I was on a roll! Months ago, when I first saw your new book listed on NetGalley, it was vague and sneaky, both things I like in a book, but I decided to wait on requ
Matthew
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best way to sum this up - one of the most unique and original stories I have read in a long time. 75% of this book I cannot give you a similar example of from another story.

I can see why others have said it is tough to review without spoiling. EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS BEFORE IT GETS SPOILED FOR YOU!

It is the perfect balance of suspense, action, sci-fi, romance, and WHAT THE HECK!?!? I was enthralled the entire time and did not want to put it down (but we all have to sleep and work sometime, rig
Justin
Jul 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved the premise of this story.
Are we really happy? What if we made different decisions in life?
What if we could live out choices we never made but wished we did?
What if we went left instead of right?
Straight.
Backward.
Diagon Alley.
Harry Potter.
The premise was very interesting. The stuff about the box and the multiverse and even the science at times was interesting.
Why couldn't you pull that off, Andy Weir?
The plot is so fast-paced and relentless. Even if you aren't fully invested, you want t
Lola  Reviewer
It's terrifying when you consider that every thought we have, every choice we could possibly make, creates a new world.

Dark Matter, to be blunt, is miles and miles away from the line that marks my ‘‘comfort zone.’’ I never, or very, very seldom, read books such as this one.

But the truth is, I never read a book like Dark Matter before.

It’s a love story, it’s a thriller, it’s a science fiction book.

It’s thought-provoking, gripping, action-filled.

It makes you think about life and family and what
karen
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
congratulations! semifinalist in goodreads' best science fiction category 2016!

what is this book….???

i suppose it's best described as a sci fi/speculative fiction love story with philosophy sauce all over it.

it's also another one of those reviewing-on-eggshells books, because of all the spoilers that could possibly be spoilt, where we're going to have to dance our way around a bunch of important nouns and verbs.

so, this little puzzle book of genre-blending mastery... i know i wrote "love story"
Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ Martin

I just read the craziest book and it was so good. I was going along wanting to find out what in the world has happened to Jason! Why has he lost his identity. Who are these people after him! I mean one minute, you have a wife and kid and then you don't. Your in another world .. ish.

AND. THEN. IT. WAS. DOWN. THE. RABBIT. HOLE. Just trying to enjoy this book and they lured me right on down that hole!

So now. What am I going to say in this review that won't give anything away. I mean this is a boo
Jeffrey Keeten
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*****NO SPOILERS, I SWEAR.*****

”What if all the pieces of belief and memory that comprise who I am--my profession, Daniela, my son--are nothing but a tragic misfiring in that gray matter between my ears? Will I keep fighting to be the man I think I am? Or will I disown him and everything he loves, and step into the skin of the person this world would like for me to be?

And if I have lost my mind, what then?

What if everything I know is wrong?

No. Stop.

I am not losing my mind.”

There is nothing more
Melissa
Wow. Mind-blown. Amazed. Completely enamored.
This book shook me up, made me think and held my heart captive.

“description”/

I’m beyond impressed with Blake Crouch’s writing. The philosophical nature of this story and his ability to paint such a vivid world with his words really got to me. It shook me to my core.

“Are you happy in your life?”

I’m the first to admit, science-fiction isn’t my thing. Not my go-to genre or even one I read with any type of consistency. In fact, it was seeing sci-fi in the blurb tha
Paromjit
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dark Matter is a book that thrills, horrifies and asks deep philosophical questions. It begins with Jason, a physics professor surrounded by his beloved wife, Daniela, and his teenage son, Charlie, cooking supper. He steps out to meet with a long time friend, Ryan, who has been awarded a prestigious prize. On his way home, Jason is abducted, after which life as he knew it shatters.

I found myself seeing the book through the lens of the band, The Talking Heads...their album titles, song titles and
Elyse
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was hooked right away. Exciting -page turner- extremely fast pacing as rumors have spread.

The author has a unique style of writing- very short sentences. "SHOTS OF ADRENALINE"!!!
He also creates clear images from the start -- visuals of family life....[Thurs. night is family night with Jason, Daniela, and their son Charlie].
The dialogue is intimate - but at times the narration felt laborious - however the author draws us in anyway.

I liked this story... It's almost impossible to put it down -
Mischenko
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
To see this review and others please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com

What on earth can I say about this book? I don't even know how to describe it. I'm just going to say it was totally AWESOME!!!

This is my first read by Blake Crouch and Dark Matter was literally an action packed roller coaster ride! I was thoroughly engaged and engrossed by the story. I went into this book totally blind and had no idea of the plot. Also, there were surprises along the way that weren't predictable and I remained
Kemper
I’m late to the party on this one, and judging by all the 4 and 5 star reviews I can only assume that the mob will be after me with pitchforks and torches for 3 starring it. Come at me, Goodreads!

Jason Dessen is just an average guy with a wife and son he loves, and a job teaching physics at a small college. One night he goes out to meet a friend for drinks, but he ends up being kidnapped by a mysterious man who somehow rips him out of his life and drops him in the middle of a nightmare.

This is o
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Blake Crouch is a very tricky guy. *Warning-this is a mostly gif review because I have no clue on how to review it without spoiling.*

You really can't review his books without giving them away. A buddy and I were talking about him last night, it feels like HE isn't even sure where the story is going. But you better hang on because it's always a bumpy ride.
Palm Springs commercial photography

This one starts out just like a normal book. (I'm not spoiling for this part) Jason Dessen is just an average guy. He is married to his long t
Hannah Greendale
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing

To describe this book would be to distract from the elements of surprise, mystery and thrilling confusion found within its pages. Dark Matter is best picked up with as little knowledge of the story as possible and its events explored with the same sense of vulnerable astonishment as the protagonist, Jason Dessen.

The pacing and structure of this novel are brilliant. Events unfold in evermore enticing ways,
Petrik
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Petrik by: Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Shelves: owned-physical
4.5/5 Stars

(My last review of 2016 and I’m really glad it’s this book that I chose. Thank you very much to one of my GR best friend Mary for recommending this book to me.)

“Are you happy with your life?”

Single question that you’ve probably wondered or been asked several times throughout your life. How far will you go to save the one you love? Do you ever have any regrets in your life and wondered what would happen if you didn’t make that mistake?

Obviously we all have regrets, we lose someone, w
Dan Schwent
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Dan by: Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
On the way home from the local bar, Jason Dessen is ambushed by an unknown assailant in a geisha mask. After being injected with something, Jason wakes up and his world has been turned upside down...

As I mentioned in the past, I tend to resist books with any amount of hype attached. I even passed on this when it initially came up on Netgalley. However, the gang at Goodreads made me change my mind. So, yeah, the gang was right. Every once in a while, a book feels like it was written with my admit
kazzyboy
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-reads

what, with all due respect, the absolute fuck was this book

how do you even start getting over this how does that happen to someone?? i feel very.... .... mmmmm what's the word....confused?? lost?? so thoroughly mind-fucked?? like i swear to god my soul has aged for an entire century since i finished this. i literally feel like inside i’m just a tired dad who hasn’t slept in five nights because they have a newborn and their wife does the day shifts, taking their baby on a drive at night to put it
Carol
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." (Einstein).

GEESH.....try to put this one down.....If you're a fan of sci-fi, you're going to love this, and if you're not, you just may become one. Enjoy a trip to Chicago, attend a Cub's game at Wrigley and ride the Ferris wheel, but be wary for life can change on a dime.

Jason Dessen is a genius, an Atomic Physicist and Professor at a small college. He has a loving wife, a bright teenage son, and everything is right as rain, but li

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

FLOAT FOR RELEASE DATE (7/26) AND BECAUSE MITCHELL SAID HE'D CUT THIS BITCH IF I DIDN'T. (But seriously, Crouch is good. I want him to have my babies.)

ACTUAL REVIEW:

Palm Springs commercial photography

Much like Wayward Pines, Crouch’s latest book is one where the less you know the better so now I don't know what the hell to say. On the surface, this is a sci-fi thriller which is generally not my bag. Buuuuuuuut since it was a Crouch story I rolled the dice. My reaction?
Frances
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5* A quantum physicist Jason Dessen is a happy, contented family man living for the past 20 years in Logan Square, Chicago in a brownstone home. It’s a Thursday night and he’s cooking up a storm for his wife Daniela and teenage son Curtis. Daniela knows there is a celebration party for an old college buddy just down the road at Jason’s favorite bar, the Village Tap. She encourages him to go and offer hearty congratulations.

How does anyone know that a happy, peaceful life changes when it’s lea
James Trevino
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I think I never read a book that played with my mind so much as this one did...

Usually, the books I read don’t affect me in a big way, no matter how sad or tragic they are, but this one was different. There is… how do I put it? There is a sense of despair that shows up from the first few pages and never lets go, up until the very end. With every chapter you keep on hoping Jason, the main character, will make it and with every chapter you receive another blow. It reminds me of this little movie I
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
That was bananas.

*Full review to come*
Pouting Always
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like everyone has read this one by now or at least knows the premise so I don't need to summarize. The book started off really strong and honestly I was totally going to give it five stars but then the ending just kind of fell flat. I'm not sure why because logically it seems like a reasonable ending but I guess there was so much build up it felt anticlimactic. That said I really did enjoy this book, with sci fi and thrillers it's much more about the pacing and story line for me so this b ...more
Aestas Book Blog
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
OMG. This book was brilliant!!!! It is nothing like what I usually review. I'm a romance reader and this is a sci-fi thriller so trust me, I'm shocked I loved it...

Imagine you had a life you loved: a husband/wife, a son, a lifetime of memories. Then imagine waking up one day and your family is GONE. Not dead, not taken, but gone — like they never existed. That's what happened to this hero. And this is his story of doing everything in his power to get back to the woman he LOVES more than anythin
Steve
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Few words, if any, can launch an imagination better than these:
What if?

Life in the real world moves awfully fast, and when considering the near-infinite set of causes and effects, it’s impossible to disentangle. That doesn’t stop us from trying, though. We love devising rewrites. What if Arsenal’s fluky long-range shot off the United defender’s back had not snuck into the goal? What if Rhett and Scarlett had had couples counseling? What if instead of Dark Matter Julia and Tomas had given me
Lyn
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A steaming hot cup of whatthef***???

Like Crouch’s 2012 mega hit Pines, it’s hard to say much without fatal spoilers, but trust me and 90% of the readers who’ve read and enjoyed this – it’s a wild ride.

Scientist and professor Jason Dessen is abducted in a back alley in Chicago and his life is changed irrevocably. Crouch explores the concepts of the multiverse and also about identity, relationships, and existentialism.

I read a Heinlein short story years ago (and have forgotten the title) where peo
Christine
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Christine by: Daisy personally
Thank you to Blake Crouch, Crown Publishing, and Net Galley for a copy of this novel in exchange for an unbiased review.

OK, this is a book I am NOT going to read, right? Just look at that title—Dark Matter. Matter is, well, matter. The stuff that stuff is made of. Boring. This book is labeled as science fiction. No, I do not and will not do science fiction. And the real kicker is all the reviewers talking about how the quantum physics was not something they knew much about. Having gone through P
EVERYONE Has Read...: Dark Matter - *SPOILERS* 52 145 59 minutes ago
Girls, Guns and G...: Dark Matter - December 2017 BotM 21 27 12 hours, 12 min ago
EVERYONE Has Read...: Dark Matter - pre-read 42 215 Dec 12, 2017 09:41AM
What would you do? 3 22 Dec 06, 2017 09:59AM
Goodreads Choice ...: Dark Matter - May 2017 38 119 Nov 18, 2017 04:14PM
Bookworm Bitches : October 2017: Dark Matter 19 119 Nov 15, 2017 06:51PM
  • Crosstalk
  • The Wolf Road
  • Admiral (Evagardian, #1)
  • Underground Airlines
  • Join
  • The Last One
  • The Woman in Cabin 10
  • Invaders: 22 Tales from the Outer Limits of Literature
  • Security
  • The Hatching (The Hatching #1)
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Dark Side
  • The Big Sheep
  • Arrowood
  • The Underground Railroad
  • Arkwright
  • Night of the Animals
  • Made to Kill (Ray Electromatic Mysteries, #1)
Blake Crouch is a bestselling novelist and screenwriter. He is the author of the forthcoming novel, Dark Matter, for which he is writing the screenplay for Sony Pictures. His international-bestselling Wayward Pines trilogy was adapted into a television series for FOX, executive produced by M. Night Shyamalan, that was Summer 2015’s #1 show. With Chad Hodge, Crouch also created Good Behavior, the T ...more
More about Blake Crouch...
“We're more than the sum total of our choices, that all the paths we might have taken factor somehow into the math of our identity.” 122 likes
“No one tells you it’s all about to change, to be taken away. There’s no proximity alert, no indication that you’re standing on the precipice. And maybe that’s what makes tragedy so tragic. Not just what happens, but how it happens: a sucker punch that comes at you out of nowhere, when you’re least expecting it. No time to flinch or brace.” 61 likes