Review Group discussion

Finished rounds > Group 254. General - Mod. Kat.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by E.M. (last edited Jun 09, 2020 02:41AM) (new)

E.M. Swift-Hook | 2778 comments Mod
The review group is the most successful group for peer reviews on goodreads. It hosts non-reciprocal reading/review rounds of ten authors with a variety of themes and genres, as well as ‘general’ rounds where any book is permitted, from non-fiction, to horror. When a round has ‘now forming’ in the title, there are places available, you can sign up. If it doesn’t, it’s full – look for another round or check back another time.

The Amazon rules state that authors/publishers are not allowed to specifically supply published books in return for reviews on Amazon. To comply with this rule, we don’t insist members review on Amazon, but we do insist that every participant in the round has the capacity to leave a review on their local Amazon store, so we all start with the same options.

The founding principle of the group is honest, non-reciprocal reviews, so please help maintain the integrity of the group by letting me know as you sign up if you have been reviewed by, or have reviewed another author in the group and do check back as the group fills to report any clashes. Usually places are allocated on a first come, first served basis.

This is a General round
All fiction/ non-fiction accepted. This means you may be required to read anything from a book about tax returns to horror/erotica and everything in between.

Please note it is always possible that the books you are assigned may contain material you find upsetting or offensive. If you can't commit to this, please do not sign up.

Now for the boring stuff, but please read it, it saves a lot of time if everyone is on the same wavelength.
Before signing up below with your Goodreads author and Goodreads book link in the thread below, please ensure that:

1. You have enough time to read and review 4 books within the 12 weeks of time allowed.

2. Your book is currently available for sale on Amazon (not pre-order) and it complies with the individual round theme, if there is one.

3. Your book is fit to be reviewed.
If it is not, due to editing or other issues, you risk poor reviews. This is your problem, not that of the reviewers or the groups. For a small fee, the group admin will look at the first few pages of your book to advise. The number one error new authors make is not having their book beta read and edited, by non-family members.

4. You can submit reviews to Goodreads and Amazon.
Amazon allows only those people who have spent $50 in the last year to leave reviews in each of their stores. If you are unsure about your Amazon reviewer status, try posting a ‘test’ review before signing up. If you are unable to post reviews on Amazon, please do not sign up.

5. You can provide (and accept) at least PDF files.
You are not expected or required to buy the books you are allocated to review, but as this will give a ‘Verified Purchase’ review on Amazon, it is welcomed when you choose to do so. Many authors have books available via KU and others might provide smashwords coupons. Most authors can provide mobi and/or epub files directly by email. Please note: International Copyright laws apply. You cannot sell, or give away material you have received without the author’s express permission.

6. You have completed your reading if you are currently in another review round in this group. You can be involved in the ‘one for one’ list whilst you are in a round.

7. You have an author profile set up before you join.

8. Your Goodreads profile allows people to message you, i.e. your profile is not set to private.

9. You declare any relationship you have with another member in the round.
Amazon will not allow reviews from the same household on the same book or if you are an editor, relative or close friend of another member.

10. You agree that your reviews will be unbiased and honest, whatever the star rating, and you will try to avoid ‘spoilers’. i.e. giving away the finale of a book.

11. You will not ask a fellow author to change a review of your book because you don’t agree with it.
If you think you have a legitimate concern, talk to the mod of your round, NOT the other author. Personal attacks, or pressurising other members WILL NOT BE TOLERATED and will result in you being blacklisted.

Please note:
We all want reviews, it’s why we joined the group. It is bad taste to expect other people to review your book and then not do the same for other people in the group. People that DNF and/or don’t post reviews will find it difficult to get into a subsequent group.

It is not necessary to leave any kind of disclaimer in your review, but ultimately, it is up to individuals. Reviews that state you received a copy ‘in return’ for a review will probably be removed/not allowed by amazon.com. ‘I received a free copy from the author without an obligation to review’ would be more acceptable if you feel the need to add a disclaimer.

Your Goodreads details and the rounds you participate in may be recorded by the admin mod on a database. We do not retain details of email addresses etc.

Allocation is entirely random and there will NOT be any rearranging of the listing to accommodate personal preference. The ONLY circumstance in which you may duck out of giving a review is if YOU provide a stand-in reviewer.

The only way this group can function is if we trust each other to behave honourably. And it IS perfectly possible to give a fair-minded review of a text that does not coincide with our normal choice of reading matter. If you need a few hints/tips, please see this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I will do my best to fit everyone into the group they request, but occasionally, particularly in the case of our more prolific good standing members, I may have to decline a member request to fit the maximum number of people into a particular round. I will always endeavour to start another round as soon as possible with that member in mind.

It is permissible to review an author more than once if a different book is available.
If you need anything clarified please ask, either by goodreads personal message to me or on the thread below, before signing up. It’s a pain to have to keep rearranging the list because people haven’t read the above.

Your group moderator will be:
Kat Kinney

Member Links
1. J.E. Rowney
2. Balroop Singh
3. Thomas A. Burns Jr.
4. Pamela Schloesser Canepa
5. Alexis Lantgen
6. Phillip Murrell
7. Diana J. Febry
8. Dave Saari
9. Ili Mais
10. Azriel Hope

Book Links
1. Ghosted
2. Emerging From Shadows : Poetry by Balroop Singh
3. The Legacy of the Unborn: A Novel of Lovecraftian Horror
4. Malachi, Ruse Master
5. Saints and Curses
6. Zombie Walkabout
7. Trouble at Clenchers Mill
8. Dog Leg Left
9. St. Claire's Blues
10. The Fall of Arcades

message 2: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Rowney (jerowney) | 228 comments Hi. Please sign me up with Ghosted. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gracey | 50 comments Hi E.M.,

Can I sign up with The Dust and The Dark Places Part One again.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Markstrom | 69 comments I would like to join please https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary Markstrom | 69 comments I forgot to put the name of my book - Out Of The Madhouse And Into The Doghouse.

message 6: by Balroop (new)

Balroop Singh (balroopsingh) | 169 comments Hi E.M. I would like to join this group with my poetry: Emerging From Shadows:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...
Thank you. Balroop.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Gracey | 50 comments Hi all, I am looking to switch to Group 257 as the 18+ groups are a bit more suitable to my genre.

message 8: by E.M. (new)

Welcome J.E. and Balroop.

Andrew and Mary - you have both signed up for the 18+ round so are in that.

message 9: by Azriel (last edited May 29, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

Azriel Hope | 51 comments Hi E.M.
I am new to this group :) but was invited by Kat :) can you please sign me up for The Fall of Arcades :) The Fall of Arcades (Fallen Angel, Immortal Romance #1) by Azriel Hope The Fall of Arcades

Thank You,
Lorie (Azriel Hope)
Azriel Hope

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 713 comments Mod
Glad to see you over here, Lorie :)

message 11: by Azriel (new)

Azriel Hope | 51 comments Thanks Kat :)

message 12: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Lantgen (alexislantgen) | 68 comments I'd be interested in joining with my collection of fantasy short stories, Saints and Curses.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 13: by E.M. (new)

Welcome Lorie and Alexis :)

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Markstrom | 69 comments Sorry I just realized that I have signed up for 2 groups by mistake. I think I have to withdraw from this group.

message 15: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Silvester | 4 comments Would like to join too please

Very keen on a good read :)

message 16: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Rowney (jerowney) | 228 comments I’ve read and reviewed Balroop before. Just a heads up for the organisation of the list :)

message 17: by Balroop (new)

Balroop Singh (balroopsingh) | 169 comments Hi E.M. this poetry book is coming to the group reviewing for the first time. J.E. you've reviewed 'Moments We Love.'

message 18: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Rowney (jerowney) | 228 comments Yes I think you can’t review my books if I have reviewed yours before though?

message 19: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 140 comments Please could I join? https://www.goodreads.com/author/show... with https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... I don't recognise any of the other authors listed so far.

message 20: by Dave (new)

Dave Saari | 74 comments I'd like to join with Dog Leg Left.

No clashes so far ...

message 21: by Dave (last edited May 30, 2020 03:29PM) (new)

Dave Saari | 74 comments Actually I do have a clash with Diana -- she has reviewed two of my previous books but not Dog Leg Left

message 22: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jr. (3mdetectiveagency) | 249 comments I'd like to enter this round with my just published book The Legacy of the Unborn, written under the pseudonym of Silas K. Henderson.

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jr. (3mdetectiveagency) | 249 comments I have reviewed Diana's The Trouble at Clencher's Mill

message 24: by Kat (new)

Kat (katwiththehat) | 713 comments Mod
We're getting close, which is super!

Right now is an excellent time for everyone to double check the list of everyone who has thrown their name as a candidate for the round. To see if you've reviewed someone: go to your bookshelf and search each author by name. If they show up on your bookshelf, you've reviewed them in the past. To see if an author has reviewed you, go to their bookshelf and type in your name. Figuring out clashes now makes things easier for EM and saves us time down the road so we don't have to redo the order once we get it set it place.

message 25: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Rowney (jerowney) | 228 comments I’ve read and reviewed Thomas and Balroop before but not the books they have in this round.

message 26: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jr. (3mdetectiveagency) | 249 comments Yes, both J.E. and Dave S. have reviewed Stripper!

message 27: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 140 comments Hi Thomas!
Hi Kat, the second book in the series, Trouble at Fatting House is available & I would be equally happy with a review of that one.

message 28: by E.M. (last edited Jun 03, 2020 01:50AM) (new)

Welcome Diane and Dave!

Thomas - I'm really sorry but I can't see any way to fit you in with the pre-existing clashes of those who signed up before you. If you or anyone else can see something I've missed and can see a fit, please do let me know :(

message 29: by E.M. (new)

Thomas - Kat has suggested a way this might work! let's try it :)

message 30: by Phillip (last edited Jun 02, 2020 05:51PM) (new)

Phillip Murrell | 136 comments I'd like to join this group with Zombie Walkabout

I have no current conflicts. I've read none of the authors, and none have reviewed me.

message 31: by E.M. (new)

Welcome Phillip.

message 32: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Jr. (3mdetectiveagency) | 249 comments E.M. wrote: "Thomas - Kat has suggested a way this might work! let's try it :)"

What is that way?

message 33: by E.M. (new)

Thomas wrote: "E.M. wrote: "Thomas - Kat has suggested a way this might work! let's try it :)"

What is that way?"

The current listing seems to work - unless both Kat and I have missed a clash somewhere, which is always possible. Please say if we have.

message 34: by Ili (new)

Ili Mais (ili_mais) | 17 comments If there is room left, I would like to join with St. Claire's Blues.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 35: by E.M. (new)

Welcome Ili

message 36: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Canepa | 77 comments Hi! If you still need one, I would like to join with Malachi, Ruse Master, https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

I have been reviewed before by Ballroop SIngh and I thought I had been reviewed by Diane Febry but I can't find a review from her anywhere. Maybe her name is just familiar to me. Can you advise?

message 37: by E.M. (new)

Pamela wrote: "I have been reviewed before by Ballroop SIngh and I thought I had been reviewed by Diane Febry but I can't find a review from her anywhere. Maybe her name is just familiar to me. Can you advise?"

You can check if someone has reviewed you by going to their profile and click 'reviews' under their photo. The click the 'Author' heading to get them in alphabetical author order, and then you can check through to see.

Hope this helps.

message 38: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 140 comments Hi Pamela & EM. I've triple checked & I haven't previously reviewed Pamela before.

message 39: by Grady (last edited Jun 04, 2020 07:07PM) (new)

Grady Brown | 42 comments I would like to join this group with Cosmic Genten.

I have no conflicts with this group.

Cosmic Genten (Benfold Star Trilogy Book 1) by Grady P. Brown

message 40: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Lantgen (alexislantgen) | 68 comments So far as I can tell, I've never reviewed or been reviewed by anyone on the list.

message 41: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Canepa | 77 comments E.M. wrote: "Pamela wrote: "I have been reviewed before by Ballroop SIngh and I thought I had been reviewed by Diane Febry but I can't find a review from her anywhere. Maybe her name is just familiar to me. Can..."

Thank you, E.M.! Diana said she has checked and she has not reviewed me before, nor have I reviewed hers. -Pamela

message 42: by Mary (new)

Mary Elizabeth Hughes | 118 comments Hi E. M.,
If that spot is still open, I'd like to submit "Imagining Violet Married" Imagining Violet Married - I have read one of Balroop Singh's books and I have been reviewed for this book by J.e. Rowney and Thos. Burns, and Diana Febry reviewed the first part of the trilogy, "Imagining Violet". The book is historical fiction, published November 2019.

message 43: by E.M. (new)

Mary - Really sorry but I can't see a way to fit you in as I can't move Daina, J.E. or Balroop and all would need to be 'above' you in the list.

message 44: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Canepa | 77 comments E.M., Did I get in as your tenth person for the review round?

message 45: by Oliver (new)

Oliver Kent | 21 comments If there's still space, I'd like to sign up
Finding Hope: Searching for Happiness: Book 1
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

I've completed all my reviews for Group 250

Balroop has reviewed a different book of mine. No other clashes.

message 46: by E.M. (new)

Welcome Pamela.

Sorry Oliver and Grady - please keep an eye out for new rounds.

I need everyone in the round to check they have not reviewed the four people above them on the list ( the list wraps around so 10 is 'above 1). Please also check that if you have already reviewed any of the four people 'below' you on the list they have more books available that you have not yet reviewed.

You can check if you have reviewed anyone before by going to your reviews, clicking the 'Author' heading to get them in alphabetical author order, and then checking through to see. You can check if someone has reviewed you in the same way through their profile.

If you are new to these rounds although you won't need to check for previous reviews I do suggest you try the steps I have put here so you know what to do in future rounds :)

Any issues with these, please post to say so. If both these things check out please post to say you are good to go.

When enough have said they are good, we can start the reading phase.

message 47: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 136 comments I have no conflicts with authors listed above nor below me.

message 48: by J.E. (new)

J.E. Rowney (jerowney) | 228 comments Seems fine, thanks.

message 49: by Balroop (new)

Balroop Singh (balroopsingh) | 169 comments Hi E.M, I've reviewed one of the books of Pamela and J.E. has reviewed one of mine. In both cases the books are different. All sounds good to go.
Thank you.

message 50: by Diana (new)

Diana Febry (dianaj) | 140 comments All good with me. NB David, Ili, Azriel & JE -no need to contact me. Once we have the go-ahead I'll download your books.

« previous 1 3