Horror Aficionados discussion

Vampire on the Orient Express (Avery & Carter, #1)
This topic is about Vampire on the Orient Express
Group Reads > June 2020 Group Read #1 Vampire on the Orient Express

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10840 comments Mod
Our first group read for June is Vampire on the Orient Express. please use spoiler tags, % and page number. Have fun and happy reading!

Alan | 4803 comments Mod
I clicked the link for Amazon and discovered I actually bought this book at some point. Guess I'll be joining the group read.

message 3: by Sydney (new) - added it

Sydney Scothon (sydneyscothon) | 3 comments I just downloaded it a minute ago since it free on kindle unlimited

Jason | 428 comments I'm ready to go

WendyB  | 2972 comments Mod
I'm in. I'll start in a few days.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2258 comments I think I might try this one. I was looking at the others that I might still read that didn’t get picked. I think this is on kindle unlimited and too 🤣😂

Graeme Rodaughan I'm in on this.

Kasia (kasia_s) | 3123 comments Mod
Got my copy too, yay!

Troy (robotroym) The title and cover alone has my interest piqued! I will plan to join you all. Grabbing my copy now.

message 10: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily | 53 comments Yes!,

message 11: by Karen (new)

Karen (karenluvsshoes) | 33 comments This looks interesting!

Montzalee Wittmann (montziew) | 56 comments I have read it and enjoyed it!

Marie | 3578 comments I read it last year and it was one of my top reads for 2019! I loved it so much that it went straight onto my favorites shelf!

message 14: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2788 comments I'm not one for group reads but this title and cover has me interested.

message 15: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula (pad1069) | 24 comments I've read it as well - enjoyable and fun, worth reading again.

Kimberly (kimberly_3238) | 5842 comments Mod
Just bought it--I'm in!

message 17: by Kasia (last edited May 27, 2020 06:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kimberly wrote: "Just bought it--I'm in!"

woohoo :)

Jason | 428 comments I've starting, can't wait

I started last night, and then had a nightmare about a train, it was so weird, my bf had to wake me up at like 4am as I was whimpering and struggling in my sleep which never happens lol.

Jason | 428 comments Cool

Jason | 428 comments I'm on chapter 3 - 11%

Jason | 428 comments Setting up the players so to say

Jason wrote: "I'm on chapter 3 - 11%"

Exactly where I'm at now.

I had to stop myself from reading more, smooth like butter.

Graeme Rodaughan Shane Carrow is a smooth writer. I noticed that straight away too.

Graeme Rodaughan Ch 1. 6%. A beautifully concise and atmospheric start.

Jason | 428 comments Chapter 10 - 28%, I am enjoying it so far, I agree the writing is smooth. Really starting to connect with the characters

Jason wrote: "Chapter 10 - 28%, I am enjoying it so far, I agree the writing is smooth. Really starting to connect with the characters"

I'm at this exact same point. I'm loving it, and as you said, the connection to the characters is beginning to grow!

Graeme Rodaughan Ch 8. 24% in.

Impressions...

"Where's colonel Mustard?"

"On a fast moving train there is no where to escape to."

I feel like the train is a little like the 'Nostromo,' or the 'Demeter,' and I'm just waiting for characters to start disappearing.

Jason | 428 comments You know its going to happen, it has to happen, so I am enjoying the wait

Graeme Rodaughan I'm enjoying it too, Jason.

Graeme Rodaughan 61% in.

Something is hitting the fan.

Orient Express Shocker! Vampires Infest First Class: "I couldn't get a hot toddy without risking my life!"

Jason | 428 comments 63% done... Its definitely on the right track

Graeme Rodaughan HI Jason, we're almost exactly at the same point.

message 35: by Kasia (last edited May 31, 2020 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

About to start CHAPTER XVI / 64% in.

I like how the action doesn't ask for permission to start, the story just takes off, some people would need 400+ pages to tell it.

WendyB  | 2972 comments Mod
I'm only at 20% but enjoying the story.

Graeme Rodaughan Kasia wrote: "I like how the action doesn't ask for permission to start, the story just takes off, some people would need 400+ pages to tell it."

It's the train... train, plane, spaceship, submarine... there is no place to go except to Action Stations!

Imagine if an author spent 400+ pages with characters remarking on the passing scenery from the dining car while supping on cream-of-chicken soup and downing a chilled chardonnay.

Wait! No, don't imagine that - Oh! The humanity!!!

Brian Excellent book cover!

Adding to my "to read"...

Graeme wrote: "Kasia wrote: "I like how the action doesn't ask for permission to start, the story just takes off, some people would need 400+ pages to tell it."

It's the train... train, plane, spaceship, submari..."

Just finished, very nice!

message 40: by Alan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan | 4803 comments Mod
Finished it in one sitting. By the title I was expecting some fun little romp aboard a train as it chugs through Europe. Did not expect it to actually be (view spoiler) And I'm OK with that. I thought the end was dragged out a bit, but other than that I rather enjoyed it.

Jason | 428 comments Just finished, really enjoyed this book. As Kasia said the story goes straight into it. Nice traditional Vampire romp.

Graeme Rodaughan I could imagine a Hammer Horror production of this as a movie.

Jason | 428 comments Absolutely.

Jason | 428 comments A young Peter Cushing would romp through this.....

Graeme Rodaughan Finished it. Loved it. Review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 46: by Kasia (last edited Jun 01, 2020 08:09AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Graeme wrote: "I could imagine a Hammer Horror production of this as a movie."

I though it would make a fun film, the last 3rd specially was very cinema friendly, with the nature and all.

The ending reminded me of a certain movie but I can't really give a title since that would be a spoiler for the movie lol.

I'm at 63% now, and things are really picking up.

message 48: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily | 53 comments I know it might be a little late for this comment, well things happens.....I am at 39%

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 246 comments Gonna start reading this soon ! It’s on KU thank you !!

Shaina (shainlockholmes) | 246 comments Kimberly you aren’t missing anything at Luminous Dead really.

« previous 1