YA Romance!!! discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2020 June-Pick-It-For-Me Challenge

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (last edited May 21, 2020 10:01AM) (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 775 comments Mod
I saw this idea from another group, all credit given to Fran from the Romance Readers Reading Challenges group.

2020 June PIFM Challenge

What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

The idea of the PIFM challenge is that you will get new-to-you books and authors selected for you as well as a push to read some books that have been lingering on your shelves. You may not be interested in the new books recommended, which is why you also get a minimum of four books from your shelf.

You only have to read ONE book to complete this challenge!

After signups are closed, your names and any extra info will go into the super secret PIFM randomizer and it will select someone for you to recommend books to and someone to give you recommendations. This list will be posted along with any specific picking rules for the month.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or friend the person giving you recommendations. PLEASE NOTE: if you choose to keep your profile private, it is your responsibility to send a very important that your profile be set to receive Private Messages (PMs) in case anyone needs to reach out to you (mods, organizer etc.)

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

Repicks:
You can ask for repicks if:
✱ The books picked for you are not yet released.
✱ If you have already read the chosen book(s) and they are on your ‘read’ shelf.
✱ If you did not receive four picks from your ‘to-read’ shelf, with at least one from your preferred shelf.

You may NOT ask for repicks because:
✱ A book is not available at your library.
✱ A genre or author you don’t enjoy.

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP:
Please sign up in this thread if you would like to participate.

✱✱ If you have a preferred shelf, please list it along with your pick! ✱✱

IMPORTANT DATES
For your convenience a https://www.timeanddate.com/worldcloc... .

You’ll have until June 7th ( 8 pm US EDT) to make your recommendations.

Please do not start reading your book(s) until the first of the month. You then have the entire month to read your pick(s) and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the PIFM Guidelines and FAQ . If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

✱Please note that late sign ups will be included at the host's discretion and no one will be included after re-picks are assigned!✱

TIPS TO MAKE THE CHALLENGE ENJOYABLE FOR EVERYONE!

Pickees
✱ To help your picker understand the type of books you like or are currently reading, please make sure your ‘read’ shelf is up to date. You can create shelves for books you DNFed (Did Not Finish) or authors that don’t work for you as well as favorite books and authors. In addition, you might consider updating your profile. You can include info about your favorite books, authors, genres, themes or tropes (or themes/tropes you dislike – i.e. secret baby).
✱ Please do not specify likes/dislikes in the sign-up thread. This information will not be included in the pairings and your pickee may not see your message and does not need to rely on that information when making picks.

Pickers
✱ Please remember this is primarily a romance readers group. Thus, most, if not all, of your picks should be romance. There are various sub genres within the romance category - Contemporary, Historical, Paranormal, Romantic Suspense, Erotica, M/M, Urban Fantasy. If your pickee reads a wide variety, you could add a non-romance as a choice.

✱ You will be using 8 picking rules to select books for you pickee. Choose at least 4 new titles for your pickee. These can be brand new to them (not found on any of their shelves) or a book found on their shelves if they've never read any of the author's work previously. The remaining 4 titles should come from your pickee's tbr, with a minimum of one from their preferred shelves if provided. Be sure to pick at least one book for each picking rule, but please limit your picks to no more than two books per rule as sometimes having too many options is worse than too few.

✱ Please remember when you are giving new recommendations, you are not limited to titles that you have read. You can choose books that are new releases, on your tbr, or titles you looked up on Goodreads or Amazon that you think your pickee would enjoy.

A few hints to help with book selection:
✱ Check the book’s publishing date.
Select "date pub" from the checkbox selections and save.
✱ Check pickee's personalized shelves, especially their exclusive shelves. A personalized shelf is one the member has created. (e.g., 'to read next', 'favorites' ‘didn’t like’)
✱ Make sure the books you choose are not on their 'read' shelf. Just because it isn't rated doesn't mean it wasn't read.
✱ Look at your pickee's 'read' shelf and see what genres they have recently read or read the most. Reviewing their ‘read’ shelf might help you in choosing something they are interested in reading right now.
✱ If your pickee reads lots of books in a genre you are not familiar with (erotic romance, GLBT, YA, etc.) Contact the Mods or the month's organizer for guidance.
✱ Include a variety of books (e.g., shorter page count, new addition to their 'to-read' shelf, an older book on their 'to-read' shelf)
This variety gives your pickee options when choosing the book or books they will be reading this month. Use the sort feature within their shelves to determine date a book was added, published or read; page numbers, ratings, etc.

If you want to volunteer to make repicks:
✱ We love that you want to help out, but please remember those who need picks have been waiting for a long time already. Please only volunteer if you are able to make the repicks within a few hours of the deadline. Thank you!

message 2: by Shreya (new)

Shreya (shreyakarnati) | 17 comments How do I sign up?

message 3: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

I'm in! So excited!

Use my TBR shelf to pick out some recommendations. https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Also, a lot of books that I want to read are not on my to-read list, so you could really recommend anything if you want

message 4: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Shreya wrote: "How do I sign up?"

Just comment here that you wanna join and add a link to one of the GoodReads shelves you want your "buddy" to choose a book from:)

message 5: by Shreya (new)

Shreya (shreyakarnati) | 17 comments Okay I would like to participate.
Use my TBR shelf to pick some recommendations: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 6: by Audrey_With_Books, Audrey Adores Books (new)

Audrey_With_Books (audrey_with_books_) | 63 comments Mod
I would like to participate as well!
My TBR is list listed down below.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Thank you!
-Audrey <3

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh sign me up!
My tbr list

message 8: by Elena (new)

Elena I would like to participate!
Here is my tbr list

message 9: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

5 participants! YAY! Hopefully some other people would like to join!

message 10: by Dee Dee (last edited May 25, 2020 10:24AM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) I'd like to join. You can choose from this list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... (I'm still updating it but these are the ones I have access to at the moment.) But I'm open to anything that isn't too heavy (for obvious reasons).

message 11: by Elena (new)

Elena K Hi all! I would like to join!

Never enough books to read 😂

message 12: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Great! 7 sign ups!

message 13: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

LAST CHANCE TO SIGN UP!

message 14: by Ava (new)

Ava (avatheadventurousreader) | 4 comments Sure, I'm in need of more books! :) I'm in!

message 15: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Okay 8 sign ups, pairs will be listed right now! :)

message 16: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

People who signed up: Click your buddy's name to browse through their preferred shelf
Becca da
Shreya
Audrey
♡Akhila♡
Elena
Dee Dee
Elena K
Ava

Pairs: You are picking for the person below you!
Becca da
Shreya
Ava
Elena K
Audrey
♡Akhila♡
Elena
Dee Dee

*EXAMPLE: Dee is picking for Becca da
Becca da is picking for Shreya
Shreya is picking for Ava, etc.

2020 June PIFM Challenge - Picking Rules

June is Adopt-A-Cat Month...here are some fun facts about cats!

1. The oldest known pet cat existed 9,500 years ago
*Recommend a book that has been on your pickees shelf for awhile or a book that you read a long time ago and loved

2. Cats spend 70% of their lives sleeping
*Recommend a book with star(s) or a moon on the cover or a book with a dark cover

3. A cat was the Mayor of an Alaskan town for 20 years
*Recommend a small-town romance or a book with an unusual title

4. The record for the longest cat ever is 48.5 inches
*Recommend a longer book or a book that is part of a long series

5. The richest cat in the world had £7 million
*Recommend a book with a wealthy character or a book set in England

6. Cats walk like camels and giraffes- Their walking sequence is both right feet first, followed by both left feet, so they move half of their body forward at once. Camels and giraffes are the only other animals to walk this way!
*Recommend a book with an animal on the cover or in the story or a paranormal romance

7. Isaac Newton invented the cat door
*Recommend a book with a smart or nerdy character or a book where a character travels somewhere

8. In 1963 a cat went to space
*Recommend a book with a 6 or a 3 in the page count or publishing date (any edition) or a book that sounds out of this world!

**Remember to pick four NEW books and four from your pickee's TBR or preferred shelf. Please limit your picks to no more than two for each rule, too many choices can be as bad as too few!**

-ALL CREDIT GOES TO Fran from the RRRC group for writing these rules
EXAMPLE: Becca da picking for Shreya
*Recommend a book that has been on your pickees shelf for awhile or a book that you read a long time ago and loved
TBR (their list)-The World of Throne of Glass
*This book has been on Shreya's TBR list for a long time
NEW-The Fill-In Boyfriend
*This book Becca da chose for Shreya to read because she read this book a long time ago and loved it.

Once again, you have to pick AT LEAST one book per number/fact, you ONLY have to read ONE BOOK to complete this challenge, you have TILL June 7th to make recommendations to your "buddy." Friend them if their profile is not set to public. If you need any help, please contact me through GoodReads :).

Have fun! So excited!
-Becca da Romance Queen<3

message 17: by Shreya (new)

Shreya (shreyakarnati) | 17 comments Here are my picks for Ava:
*Recommend a book that has been on your pickees shelf for a while or a book that you read a long time ago and loved
-Diverget(read a while ago, also on your shelf) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
-A Court of Thorns and Roses(read a while ago and loved, also on your shelf) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
*Recommend a book with star(s) or a moon on the cover or a book with a dark cover
-American Royals (star on the cover, also from your shelf) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
-Grave Mercy(unusual title) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...
-Throne of Glass(first book in a long series) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
-City of Bones(first book in a long series) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
-Clockwork Angel(set in London) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
-Chain of Gold(set in London) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
6. Cats walk like camels and giraffes- Their walking sequence is both right feet first, followed by both left feet, so they move half of their body forward at once. Camels and giraffes are the only other animals to walk this way!
*Recommend a book with an animal on the cover or in the story or a paranormal romance
-House of Earth and Blood(bird on the cover) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
-Flame in the Mist(bird on the cover) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
*Recommend a book with a smart or nerdy character or a book where a character travels somewhere
-The Conspiracy of Us(character travels a lot) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
*Recommend a book with a 6 or a 3 in the page count or publishing date (any edition) or a book that sounds out of this world!
-Legend(3 in page count, also from your shelf) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

message 18: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) My picks for Becca!

Lucky in Love by Kasie West on your list the longest or The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas which I read a long time ago and loved

These Broken Stars (Starbound, #1) by Amie Kaufman which can work for either prompt ^_^

Probed By The Gay Alien by Morgan Manson - unusual title

The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - it's mammoth, but worth it

American Royals (American Royals, #1) by Katharine McGee - I haven't read this one, but I'm assuming royals would be wealthy...

The Raven Boys (The Raven Cycle, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1) by Brigid Kemmerer - the MC travels to an alternate world

What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1) by Becky Albertalli or The Upside of Unrequited (Simonverse #2) by Becky Albertalli both fit the page count req.

Happy reading ^_^

message 19: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Thanks Dee Dee!! :)

message 20: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Becca da wrote: "Thanks Dee Dee!! :)"

You're most welcome.

message 21: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Also, forgot to mention as a reminder, please choose books that your buddy person has not already read.
My picks for Shreya!! Happy reading! :)
TBR-The World of Throne of Glass
NEW-The Fill-In Boyfriend
TBR-The Night Circus
NEW-Walk Two Moons
TBR-Stalking Jack the Ripper
NEW-Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
TBR-Upon a Burning Throne
NEW- Every Other Weekend
NEW-P.S. I Like You
TBR-Midnight Sun
NEW-Cinder
NEW-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
TBR-The Final Empire

message 22: by Shreya (last edited Jun 01, 2020 09:16PM) (new)

Shreya (shreyakarnati) | 17 comments Thanks Becca da! Can I have a few repicks as come of the books you choose haven't come out yet(The World of Throne of Glass and Midnight Sun)? I have also already read a few of the books(Cinder and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone).

message 23: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Oh yea sorry about that!

message 24: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

I'm really sorry Shreya, I am very disorganized...
REPICKS:
1. TBR- Disenchanted

6. TBR-The Raven Boys
I don't have a new one for this

7. NEW-The Stand-In Boyfriend

message 25: by Shreya (new)

Shreya (shreyakarnati) | 17 comments No worries :)

message 26: by Audrey_With_Books, Audrey Adores Books (last edited Jun 03, 2020 12:03PM) (new)

Audrey_With_Books (audrey_with_books_) | 63 comments Mod
Picks for ♡Akhila♡:

1. Before I Fall Before I Fall

2. Cinder Cinder

3. All The Bright Places All the Bright Places

4. The Heir The Heir

5. The Crown The Crown

6. Love, Life, And The List Love, Life, and the List

7. The Fault In Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars - The best book of all time ;) It's about two kids with disabilities who fall in love. It is very sad!

8. Louisiana's Way Home Louisiana's Way Home - About a girl trying to find out what happened to her mom and finds love along the way.

9. Always Never Yours Always Never Yours - About a girl and her relationships

10. Whippoorwill Whippoorwill - About a dog with an abusive owner that the girls next door take care of. The boy next door to the girl (who owns the dog with his father) fall in love <3

message 27: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Remember, y'all have till JUNE 7TH to make your recommendations/picks for your assigned person!

♡Akhila♡ you have to comment your picks for Elena.
And Elena you have to comment your picks for Dee Dee.

Please let me know if you messaged your assigned person their picks instead of commenting on this topic, Elena K I know you did because Audrey is my sister. Anyway...happy reading! :)

message 28: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) So... Is this still happening?

message 29: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Yes!

message 30: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Hey, is there any way someone else can pick for me? It's past the deadline but I'd still like to take part :(

message 31: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Aww :( I'm sorry Dee Dee, is it ok if I pick for you? I would love to look through your shelves!

message 32: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Becca da wrote: "Aww :( I'm sorry Dee Dee, is it ok if I pick for you? I would love to look through your shelves!"

That'd be great! Have at it

message 33: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Okay! My picks for Dee Dee!:)
TBR-Pride
NEW-Since You've Been Gone
TBR-Serpent & Dove
NEW-Refugee
NEW-Maybe This Time
TBR-There's Something About Sweetie
NEW-The Stand-In Boyfriend
NEW-The Distance Between Us
TBR-Witches of Ash and Ruin
TBR-The Bromance Book Club
NEW-Second Chance Summer
TBR-Deeper Than Midnight
NEW-Divergent

message 34: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Yay! Thanks. I'll check them out and make my choices ^_^

message 35: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Okay, sounds good!

message 36: by Elena (new)

Elena Soo, I no longer have to pick a book for Dee Dee? I'm sorry, I just didn't get the hang of this lol

message 37: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

You absolutely can if you want to and/or if she is okay with that! It's ok!

message 38: by Dee Dee (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Go right ahead, the more the merrier! I'm really indecisive these days so this should help lol.

message 39: by Becca da, Moderator Becca (new)

Okay y'all! Tomorrow is the end of June so please state here which books you read.

Hi Dee Dee! Thank you so much for my picks, they were all super good choices, but I decided to go with What If It's Us!
I have to say, it was a really good book! 5/5 stars
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 40: by Dee Dee (last edited Jun 29, 2020 06:47PM) (new)

Dee Dee (Dee Reads for Food) (dee_reads_for_food) Becca da wrote: "Okay y'all! Tomorrow is the end of June so please state here which books you read.

Hi Dee Dee!"

Yeah I really loved that one and I try to get as many people as I can to read it lol.

I went with Witches of Ash and Ruin by E. Latimer because I was feeling for a bit of fantasy and I had just finished reading another witchy book so I wanted to keep up the mood.

I didn't rate it...but I enjoyed it. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.