Start by marking “Since You've Been Gone” as Want to Read:
Since You've Been Gone

Since You've Been Gone

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  79,066 Ratings  ·  9,821 Reviews
It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just…disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough.

Dance
Published May 6th 2014 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Since You've Been Gone, please sign up.
Amicha It's recommended for 12 and up, which is fine, but I'd say it probably interests more of the 14-18ish range, so around 8th-12th grade.

Typically, I'd…more

Typically, I'd recommend it for someone looking for a good summer read or just an overall exciting book filled with unusual, daring things. It's fantastic and I totally recommend it.(less)

Kaitlyn
I get the Kelly Clarkson song running through my head every time I see this book. :P

Raeleen Lemay
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, young-adult
In a well-ordered universe.... everybody would read this book.

Seriously. It was amazing. If you loved, or even mildly enjoyed Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, pick up this book. YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT.
Christine Riccio
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED THIS OH SO MUCH. <3
Maureen
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2014
Reread June 21-23 2015 for #monthofmatson

OH MY GOSH THE FEEEEEEELS. This was the first Morgan Matson book I read and it's still just as good. I love the friendship element, I love the facing fears element, I LOVE FRANK. SO FREAKING MUCH. FRANK IS SO BAE SO SO BAE. HOW DOES MORGAN MATSON WRITE THE BEST GUY CHARACTERS EVER. HOW???
Okay I'm done. I just love this book a lot.

Reread via audiobook May 6-May 10 2016 for #monthofmatson YEAR 2
This has solidified itself as my favorite MM book. It's so freA
Zoë
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Watch my interview with Morgan Matson here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVqHE...

Seriously the best book I've read in a while! I am completely obsessed with Morgan Matson's writing and how she can make such a cute story without it being sickly sweet or cheesy! This is a story that will stick with me for a while and I definitely want to see it become a movie!
Emily May
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
*Maybe* I am too old for this book. That is one possible explanation. The other possible explanation is that this book really is just kinda lame. And tame.

Since You've Been Gone tries to be a cutesy summer story about the friendship between two teenage girls. Which was exactly what I wanted. It also tries to be a tale about a girl learning to take chances, be a little rebellious and try new things. Misspent youth and all that jazz. And I can totally get into the excitement of a good-girl-gone-ba
emma
This is the best Morgan Matson book.

I’ve long suspected it. Now, I can confirm it. I’ve reread all her works in the last nine months (and I actually trust the opinions of nine-months-ago me, unlike the opinions of two-or-more-years-ago me, who does ridiculous things like think Isla and the Happily Ever After is a good book, which, guess what, it isn’t).

This reread bonanza had a lot of bad parts, including, but not limited to: the realization that Matson is not infallible while reading Amy &
Kate ♡
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

At first i was a bit apprehensive about this book, probably because of its length and the amount of hype its received, but oh my gosh, a book has never lived up more to the hype, and well and truly exceeded my expectations. It was everything I wanted it to be, yet nothing I expected it to be and so much more.
In other words, I CANNOT EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR THIS BOOK ENOUGH, AHH

This book was unlike any contemporary novel I've read before. It was a perfect blend
karen
Jul 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
this is not the kind of book i would ordinarily read. i tend to stay away from contemporary YA novels, ones where real-seeming teens do real-seeming things. give me grand battles to the death, or a pandemic of some kind, zombies or even just basic wilderness survival, and i am on board. but teens who aren't in peril in some way?? not usually gonna blip my radar.

but i read this one at the urging of a work-friend, and i gotta say, i enjoyed it. yeah, it's just an unchallenging summer read, but it
Whitney Atkinson
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was really, really enjoyable! The first 100 pages I was hooked and I loved it, but the book started to lose its luster from then on out. I thought this book was the perfect summer read and it put me in a great, summery mood. I thought the story was interesting and I was definitely unable to put this book down, hence why i'm writing this review at 3:30 in the morning and I have a job interview in less than 7 hours. But really quickly I began to notice that Emily was a bit of a coward. S ...more
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it

❝Real friends are the ones you can count on no matter what. The ones who go into the forest to find you and bring you home. And real friends never have to tell you that they’re your friends.❞

This book was so fun and cute. I rarely read young adult contemporaries because I feel like I've outgrown that stage of my life, but Since You've Been Gone gave me all the giddy school girl feels that I've missed from way back when while I was in high school.

I just loved the whole concept of the list and
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
May 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
asjhsflkdlgjfgkfg;kf LOOOOOOVED THIS OMG MORGAN MATSON HOW DO YOU DO THIS TO ME.

full review to come.
Ashley Nuckles
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jsvsjsbaks I read this in a day and although it was super slow to start I LOVED IT SO MUCH, MORGAN MATSON IM COMIN FOR YA!!
sreeja
Dec 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
This book was just made of sunshine and butterflies and unicorns. It has been a while since I’ve read something so fluffy and heart-warming.
 photo tumblr_mu83ibwUFM1sh1bozo1_500_zpsw4ziabno.gif

if this girl ever wrote a book, this would be it

Although this book gave me serious paper towns vibes.
I mean seriously;
“perfect” girl: check
who also happens to be the missing (best) friend: check
adventure to find her: check
mc finding oneself along the way: check
road trip: check

FEATURING
Sloane; AKA (Margo)
 photo tumblr_nmayggb17S1rnzsr9o1_500_zpsozcl2onj.gif
pretty much a manic pixie dream girl, every
Farah
Jul 24, 2013 added it

That was basically my reaction when I found out there was going to be a new book by Morgan Matson. I've got to mention that she is one of the most underrated authors ever, which is not fair because her books are amazing! I, myself, wouldn't have heard about Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and Second Chance Summer if it weren't for Goodreads. So I guess I'm glad I'm on this site and OH MY GOD, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HAPPY I AM THAT MORGAN MATSON IS WRITING NEW BOOKS! I adore her and I just know tha
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Paige Bookdragon

I met my best friend when I was 11 and almost 20 years, dozens of fights and thousands of miles apart later, she and I are still best friends and I honestly don’t think I would have survived those scary stages of life without her. Why am I suddenly sharing this random information? Because I was very much inspired by the story I have just read about two best friends and how they shaped each other to be the persons they are.

I grew up used to the idea that everything could change except my family
Karmen (readingoncloud9)
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
All of Morgan Matson's books that I've read so far have been 5 stars for me. ❤ ...more
Liam
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
In a well ordered universe everyone will have read this book and loved it just as much as I did!!

What a fantastic read this book has been! I have not been so emotionally invested in a book in a while and this one completely swept me up and took me on a super cute and brilliant journey!

First thing first, I'm going to talk about the writing because wOW THE WRITING! It made the book, characters, world etc all seem incredibly real and I truly felt like I was there in the story with Emily our main ch
Tiff at Mostly YA Lit
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Review originally posted at Mostly YA Lit

Since You've Been Gone was my most anticipated contemporary YA of this spring - I LOVED Morgan Matson's first novel, Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. I loved it so much that she inspired me to start writing my own novel...which is currently sitting dustily on my computer. ANYWAY.

Because Matson has previously written about loss, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book about the loss of a friendship - one that the protagonist, Emily, feels deeply. Emily i
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, anxiety
I HAVE NO WORDS.
Kristina Horner
Nov 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I had a very interesting relationship with this book. I ended up giving it a 3.5, because while I enjoyed reading it in the end, I definitely had some issues with it.

First of all, I started to think the point of the book was Emily realizing Sloane wasn't a very good friend after all. I was really bothered by the fact that Sloane put "Penelope" on the list, when Emily had made it extremely clear to her that she wasn't interested in using a fake ID and going to a bar, and even though she ended up
Ninoska Goris
English - Español

In a well-ordered universe .... this book would not have such a high rating.

It's the beginning of summer vacation and Emely's best friend, Sloane, just disappears and doesn’t respond to her calls or messages. She has only left a list of activities that Emely must do.

Emely, who understands that when she finish doing everything it will lead to Sloane, start working on it. The main problem is that Emely is extremely shy and does nothing other than the outgoing Sloane. The activitie
Maram
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary
"Nothing worth doing is easy," Frank said. "Especially not in the beginning. But I'm not about to give up."

This story essentially follows best-friends Emily and Sloane who planned to spend the summer vacation together when Sloane suddenly up and left, leaving her with nothing but a to-do list that Emily wouldn't have imagined to do on her own. She then gets an "aha moment" thinking that by completing the tasks on that list might just lead her to wherever Sloane is.

Oh, I'm so giddy! I loved it yo
Regan
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
4.5

A great story that makes me waaaay excited for summer.
Caleb
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic and definitely one of my favorites for the year. I HIGHLY recommend to any contemporary reader!
Elisabeth

Love love loved it!! I identified so much with Emily its kind of eerie. Her story was both fun and inspiring and left me wanting more. Like seriously where is the epilogue!!
Eryn
4 stars

I normally don't read novels like these, but I'm starting to realize I should more often! They're really cute easy reads. And what's wrong with that?

My favorite thing with this novel, without a doubt, is Frank and Emily's relationship. How they were friends first, only to become something more, was enjoyable to watch unfold. Especially with how it seemed they liked one another before either of them knew. I just felt the connection as soon as they met - even if they only took is as friends
Anja
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
*5 SUMMERY STARS*

This book is such a perfect summer read!
Even though it's currently raining outside here, this book really made me feel happy and wanting to go on adventures and meet new people!
Since You've Been Gone is about Emily, who wakes up one day, discovering that her best friend is gone but she left her a list of things to do. In the process of doing that, Emily makes new friends, falls in love, finds herself and figures out why her best friend left and where she went.
This book isn't th
Angela
I love everything Morgan writes. Amy and Roger's Epic Detour made me smile uncontrollably, and Second Chance Summer made me cry uncontrollably. So, HELL YES, I'M READING THIS.
Kai
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015

3.5/5 stars

So this was a nice and easy going story, a little romance, a lot about friendship and some mystery. The way Emily and Frank fall in love seemed very realistic and incredibly cute. I just like the way they slowly formed bonds, it was more authentic that way. Also, only a tiny bit of melodrama.
It was an easy read and it took me little time to get through, but it was nothing tha
  • Open Road Summer
  • Nantucket Red (Nantucket, #2)
  • Breathe, Annie, Breathe
  • The Art of Lainey (The Art of Lainey, #1)
  • Bright Before Sunrise
  • The Chapel Wars
  • Breakfast Served Anytime
  • Something Real (Something Real, #1)
  • Isla and the Happily Ever After (Anna and the French Kiss, #3)
  • Even in Paradise
  • #scandal
  • What I Thought Was True
  • Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2)
  • Being Sloane Jacobs
  • The Things You Kiss Goodbye
  • The Museum of Intangible Things
  • Rites of Passage
  • Wish You Were Italian (If Only . . ., #2)
Morgan Matson grew up in New York City and Greenwich, Connecticut. She attended Occidental College in Los Angeles but halfway though a theater degree, she started working in the children's department of Vroman's Bookstore and fell in love with YA literature.

Following college graduation (and the proud bearer of an incredibly useful theater/English degree) she moved back East to attend the New Schoo
“Real friends are the ones you can count on no matter what.
The ones who go into the forest to find you and bring you home.
And real friends never have to tell you that they’re your friends.”
464 likes
“I don’t think you have to do something so big to be brave. And it’s the little things that are harder anyway.” 293 likes