Start by marking “Legend (Legend, #1)” as Want to Read:
Legend (Legend, #1)

Legend (Legend #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  309,235 Ratings  ·  23,036 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ISBN13 here.

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fi
Published November 29th 2011 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about Legend, please sign up.

Denise Salvanera Yes. I just saw it at Imdb Pro. It's currently on development. The anticipated release year is 2016. I hope they pick a good cast :)
Ella Mansfield This was the book that really got me into reading, and I am so glad I read it. I read this at age 12 and understood it perfectly enough to finish the…moreThis was the book that really got me into reading, and I am so glad I read it. I read this at age 12 and understood it perfectly enough to finish the whole series in a few days. So I would say 10 or older seeing it is now is given as a book club in 6th grade at my school.(less)

Marie Lu
Apr 22, 2011 Marie Lu rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, it's mine....so, er...yeah, a little biased. :) Shameless. I know, I know!
Kiki
A little while ago I was cleaning all the dust and papers and shit out from under my bed, and I found a plastic box full of last year's Christmas presents and decs.

You all know how it is. You start off tidying up but then you find something you forgot you had like a Katie Morag book or a recorder and you spend like a half an hour just fucking around with it and by the time you get back down to business, you can't be bothered cleaning any more and it all gets kicked right back under the bed beca
Giselle
Aug 06, 2011 Giselle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I'm such a sucker for dystopians. I love the energy, the rush I get from them. When I got my copy of Legend I was thrilled. Now I know I had a good reason to be. This is one of the good ones. A dystopian well worth reading!

We've got two narrators: the notorious criminal, Day, and the noble citizen, though a little rebellious, June. Day has escaped death before, and he's only trying to survive while taking care of his family, especially his sick brother. June got a perfect score on her Trial and
Arlene
Jul 16, 2011 Arlene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA Dystopic Fans; Hunger Games Fans
Recommended to Arlene by: Street Corner Book Tour - ARC Flannery
Are you kidding me!?!? What just happened?!?

This book is ABSOLUTELY UNPUTDOWNABLE!! Yes, I realize that’s not a word, but I have to admit I’m a bit sleep deprived seeing as I stayed up all night reading this FRICKEN AMAZING book!! Okay let me just tell you now, this review is going to be an absolute, incoherent gush-fest. I haven’t felt this pumped about a YA dystopic novel since the The Hunger Games came to town. Mind you, I’ve read some pretty awesome stories since, such as Divergent, Blood R
Etnik
____________________________________________
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time. -Day”

____________________________________________

☆☆☆☆☆5 LEGENDARY STARS!☆☆☆☆☆

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

Okay so before I start this review I want to say that I missed reading dystopians.The last one I read in June I think and this one reminded

Wendy Darling
I like an action-packed adventure, don't you? Legend is a lot of fun to read, and follows two teens who are born into opposite sides of a war in a futuristic Los Angeles in the Republic of America.

15-year-old June is an exceptionally gifted prodigy who is being groomed to become a military star. But when her brother is senselessly murdered, she embarks upon a mission to find his killer--and discovers that all signs point towards Day, a notorious criminal who is already wanted by the Republic.

Th
karen
Jan 27, 2012 karen rated it liked it
Shelves: why-yes-i-ya
so i did, i almost gave this book four stars. but then i said to myself, "self - you have to stop giving these YA dystopias your knee-jerk four star ratings just because you like the genre and you like to see teens in peril, you sick twist." and it's true. these things are pure candy for me to read. and i don't even care so much that the majority of them lack that believability factor. i tend to star-rate within this genre based on enjoyability rather than literary value, because i am neither a ...more
Rachel E. Carter
Mar 28, 2014 Rachel E. Carter rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-buy-paperback
4 out of 5 stars. This book fell short of a solid 5 for me because it had two small things I didn’t like, but otherwise it was golden.

What I truly enjoyed:

• Two unique POV’s of the hunter and the hunted –and I love, love, loved that the girl was the one sent to hunt Day, the criminal, as I tend to see this trope usually in the reverse.

description

• The action scenes –since I had read The Young Elites I already knew Lu had talent in this arena (that end duel!), and while there was no magic powers this time a
Reynje
Okay, hypothetical scenario time. Let’s suppose I had the madness, the power ("You ever tried going mad without power? It's boring! No one listens to you!" - Russ Cargill), and the inclination to pit several recently published YA dystopian novels against each other in a brutal and bloody fight to the death a la The Hunger Games. (Please, just roll with my craziness).

Now let’s suppose one of these tributes novels is Legend. How, in my mind at least, does it fare in the arena?

Without a doubt, at
Christine Delilah (Maramochabooks)
Starts novel: *reads first page*
Oh I just love Marie Lu.
Continues reading:
...
@ 12 AM

The next morning:
(actual photo of me in the mornings)
Emily May

So I finally decided to pick this up after sifting through all the reviews and reading positive after negative after positive after negative, sometimes I guess you just have to see for yourself. And Legend was all right, pretty good when compared to some of the crap I've read recently, it just wasn't anything particularly spectac
Kate ♡
Feb 21, 2014 Kate ♡ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, 2014-read
Legend by Marie Lu

Holyyyyy, omg, where do i start..
This book was absolutely incredible!
From the time i read the first page, i knew it was going to be great, but never as amazing as it truly was. From page 1 to page 305, i was completely enthralled and could not get enough of it!
Marie Lu is an incredible writer, I absolutely lovedddd the two perspective writing!

The characters were incredible, the world was so incredibly vivid that i literally feel like i just watched a movie and didn't read a bo
Ariana

I am always afraid to read a book when I’ve been holding my breath for it to come out. Legend is one of those.
I had high hopes and I am glad to say that my expectations have been met.

I was really eager to meet Day.
I’ve heard a lot of good things about him and I was pretty much intrigued, for lack of a better word.
Even though in the last half of the book he was more or less absent, I got to care more for him and to understand him better (compared to June).
He was an interesting character – he was
Steph Sinclair

I'm a dystopian book fanatic. I collect them like the Cookie Monster collects his cookies. So when I first heard of Legend earlier this year I knew I had to get a hold of it ASAP. And I wasn't entirely disappointed because Legend features a strong, kick-ass heroine, a disturbing future world, multi-cultural characters, and tons of action.

Legend tells the story of a two remarkable 15-year-olds, Day and June, living on West cost of the United States now known as The Republic. This book instantly
Maggie
❝Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.❞

Rating: ★★★★

Being a fan of Marie Lu's The Rose Society, I didn't doubt my excitement for this one. Having a familiar taste in her writing, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed. And I wasn't! The only problem is, since this is Marie's first actual novel, I noticed changes made in her writing. But that's a good thing, meaning her writ
Mizuki
Pre-review: I read Legend because I'd heard good things about it, but after reading half of this book, I found I'm not happy with the story, not at all.

Do I want to see a female author writing a worthy bestseller? Yes.

Do I want to see an Asian getting a head start with her first novel? Yes.

Do I want to see *finally* there's a well written dystopian novel gracing the realm of YA? Yes.

Still I can't pretend Legend is a good book, I just can't.

The following gif shows my feeling toward this book:

Oka
Christine Riccio
Jun 08, 2012 Christine Riccio rated it it was amazing
THRILL RIDE. just posted a booktalk: review and discussion - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pvgIi...
Mohammed Arabey
Jan 04, 2013 Mohammed Arabey rated it liked it
Welcome to The Dystopian Republic of America..

When The Country's divided between a Republic & Colonies..every side in constant war..
When certain sectors of the Republic suffer a Plague..only the wealthy survive and got the cure..
When "Elector Primo" of the Republic is held for his life, and his successor is mostly his son..
This typical Dictatorial Republic System is already a Distopian..So, as I started.. Welcome to The Republic of America.. Welcome to 'Legend'.

A nice idea The author Marie L
Tweebs☯
Mar 03, 2017 Tweebs☯ rated it really liked it
I think I would've enjoyed this book way way WAY more if these characters weren't fucking 15 years old. Because NO .

I couldn't accept anything because their ages kept slapping me in the face.

FOR REAL, this was me :

*Cool, intense scene happens*
Me: OH SNAPPPPP !!
*suddenly remembers their 15 years old*
Me: Wait...these little fetuses did this?? NOOOOOOOO

********

*Romance scene happens*
Me: Ouuuuuu......WAIT THERE 15 YEARS OLD OMFG I FEEL LIKE A PEDOPHILE. My sister is 15 like NOOOOOOO.
*flips t
Brittney ~ Her Bookish Things
4.5 Stars.....Let me preface this by saying that even though this might be my favorite dystopia, it is a long shot from being anything super original or remarkable.

The world building is OK, the general plot is fine. I think what really drew me in was just how precious the characters are - in particular, Day himself...

I've only listened to the audio version of this series so far vs reading the actual books. The narration is great- so I'm not sure how much that is affecting my opinion. That being
Darth J
May 01, 2015 Darth J marked it as could-not-finish
Shelves: disappointing, slow
DNF @ page 94

This was my second and last of Marie Lu’s books. I just find her writing style to be too dry and emotionless to be intriguing. There’s plenty of action in her books, but her world-building doesn’t make all that much sense and it’s very hard to connect to characters because they are so flat and tell more than show. Her books read like robots put them out—there’s just no life or warmth to her style.
(view spoiler)

I gave this a chance, thinking that I just didn’t care f
shady
Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
Amber Robertson
“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the great Republic of America, to our Elector Primo, to our glorious states, to unity against the Colonies, to our impending victory!”

Legend was a book I tried to go into with low expectations, I was worried about the whole dystopian thing. I went through a phase like six years ago or something where I only read dystopian, but that quickly came to an end with Divergent - a book I did not enjoy. However, I had seen many glowing reviews about Legend, with seve
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Sep 19, 2011 Stacia (the 2010 club) rated it liked it
Recommended to Stacia (the 2010 club) by: Buddy read w/Diane and Kristina in Rated YA-MA

She said : I will hunt you down. I will scour the streets of Los Angeles for you. Search every street in the Republic if I have to. I will trick you and deceive you, lie cheat and steal to find you, tempt you out of your hiding place, and chase you until you have nowhere else to run. I make you this promise : your life is mine.

He said : If I did not wish she were dead, I would find her absolutely breathtaking.

The above artwork (minus the crappy text I added from a book quote) was drawn by the au
Keertana
Aug 14, 2012 Keertana rated it it was ok
Legend is one of those books that simply demands to be read, not so much because of its original premises, intriguing characters, or fast-paced plot, but rather because everyone seems to have such a varied opinion about it. I always make it a point to read the reviews of my most trusted reviewers - those whose opinions are similar to my own - but when it came to this book, the ratings ranged from amazement, to indifference, to like, to hate. Thus, I knew I had to read this and give it a shot for ...more
Megs ♥
Dec 02, 2011 Megs ♥ rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, z-2012-reads
I don't honestly know what made me pick up "Legend" recently and start it while I have so many other books I wanted to get to first. I was in the mood for something like this, I guess.

From the synopsis I learned that this book was going to be about a little rich girl named June, and a poor bad-boy named Day. At first they have the wrong idea about each other based on where they come from, but eventually overcome those prejudices. They must decide if they can trust each other in a world where no
Mario
Aug 01, 2014 Mario rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, own-read

Finally I'm done with this book. I don't think I ever went through a bigger reading slump than this one. And I don't think that it's because of this book, because now, when I finished it, I can safely say that I really liked it.

Going into Legend I had really high expectation. I've heard from many people that this whole trilogy is ama
Dana Kenedy (Dana and the Books)
More like 3.5-3.75/5

Legend was definitely a good YA read and I am intrigues to see how this series turns out. However, it felt too short and rushed for what the story needed.

The relationship between Day and June was so... random... It actually would have been better if there was no romance at all! I just didn't care about their instalove.

Also, Day's chapter's were randomly bolded and sans-serif, which was a bit jarring at first, but I got used to it after a few POV switches. I'm still not entire
Tiernan Bertrand-Essington
Jan 02, 2012 Tiernan Bertrand-Essington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Holy amazingness. Here's what I thought:

1. At first, it's like being dropped into a sequel. The world isnt just explained right off the bat; you figure it out as time goes on, which is cool and very good world-building.
2. All the characters were highlighted, no matter how long they were in the book. I could give you a list of every character right now...but I won't.
3. June and Day were great lead characters. The whole thing played like a movie in my head. Very vivid, but not too descriptive to
Kristalia
Final rating: 4/5 stars
Final rating - for the whole series: 4.75/5 stars

*this review includes separate section for Collector's edition as well.*

Officially 400th book i have read. Wow. Anyway, i excepted Legend to disappoint me because i have seen so many mixed reviews about this one. But i stay with those who say this book is awesome. I enjoyed reading it, and i loved the characters. Oh, i adored the fact that Marie Lu has a deviant art and that she took time to draw her characters!

“Each da
YA Coffee Break: Buddy Reads - Ashley & Bree - Legend (Legend #1) by Marie Lu (ENDS 06/15/17) 15 14 3 hours, 26 min ago
Addicted to YA: Legend 45 687 May 02, 2017 11:02AM
Legend movie update from Marie Lu! 932 10517 Apr 15, 2017 09:10AM
Who do you want as Day and June for Legend the movie? 380 1937 Apr 14, 2017 12:39PM
Do you ship June and Day? 22 260 Apr 12, 2017 03:03PM
  • Endurance (Razorland, #1.5)
  • Blood Red Road (Dust Lands, #1)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Partials (Partials Sequence, #1)
  • Origin (Corpus, #1)
  • A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
  • Prized (Birthmarked, #2)
  • Breaking Point (Article 5, #2)
  • The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
  • Altered (Altered, #1)
  • What's Left of Me (The Hybrid Chronicles, #1)
  • For Darkness Shows the Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Rip Tide (Dark Life, #2)
[Note: Many apologies, but I'm woefully bad at checking my Goodreads emails! If you'd like to send a note/msg, please catch me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Marie_Lu . Thanks!]

I write young adult novels, and have a special love for dystopian books. Ironically, I was born in 1984. Before becoming a full-time writer, I was an Art Director at a video game company. Now I shuffle around at home and ta
More about Marie Lu...

Legend (3 books)
  • Prodigy (Legend, #2)
  • Champion (Legend, #3)

24 trivia questions
15 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Each day means a new twenty-four hours. Each day means everything's possible again. You live in the moment, you die in the moment, you take it all one day at a time.” 5668 likes
“What a joke! Poor little rich girl's fallen in love with the Republic's most famous criminal.” 1045 likes