Biography, Autobiography, Memoir discussion

Hello and Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 3021 comments Mod
Starting a new discussion for introductions because I cant find the old one.

message 2: by D'anna (new)

D'anna | 25 comments Hello I'm DeAnna D. I'm a proud native Texan who loves her dogs (all 4 of them!) and books. My fav authors are Judy Blume, Jennifer Weiner, VC Andrews, Kay Bratt, and Nicholas Sparks.

message 3: by Koren (new)

DeAnna wrote: "Hello I'm DeAnna D. I'm a proud native Texan who loves her dogs (all 4 of them!) and books. My fav authors are Judy Blume, Jennifer Weiner, VC Andrews, Kay Bratt, and Nicholas Sparks."

Welcome DeAnna D!!!

message 4: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1709 comments Welcome!

message 5: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Clare | 62 comments i have just completed my memoir and am exhausted by it. It will be live on amazon by the end of April / early May. I shall keep you all posted.

Woman Reading Hello all! I signed up for Goodreads last fall once I realized the power of other avid readers' input in finding new titles to read. Then I decided to join a team challenge to read more nonfiction this year, and I was surprised to note how frequently I had chosen biographies. I like history, and the biography genre makes history more accessible & enjoyable at times.
I'm glad to find another interesting GR group, especially when we need to spend more time at home because of the pandemic. Stay healthy all, WR.

message 7: by Sylvia (new)

Sylvia Clare | 62 comments Woman Reading wrote: "Hello all! I signed up for Goodreads last fall once I realized the power of other avid readers' input in finding new titles to read. Then I decided to join a team challenge to read more nonfiction ..." lovely to meet you - I also really like biography and memoir, and am about to publish my own memoir too by the end of april.
hope we share lots of good reads

message 8: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1362 comments Woman Reading wrote: "Hello all! I signed up for Goodreads last fall once I realized the power of other avid readers' input in finding new titles to read. Then I decided to join a team challenge to read more nonfiction ..."

Welcome!

message 9: by Koren (new)

Welcome Woman Reading!

message 10: by Sherry (new)

Sherry (sherryc) | 2 comments Finally finding the time to check out all Goodreads has to offer. Finding lots of recommendations for my favorite genres (Memoirs and True Crime).

message 11: by Koren (new)

Sherry wrote: "Finally finding the time to check out all Goodreads has to offer. Finding lots of recommendations for my favorite genres (Memoirs and True Crime)."

Yayyy! You found us! Hey everybody, Sherry and I met on paperbackswap so I invited her here and I know we share a lot of the same taste in books so everybody give her a warm welcome!

message 12: by Denise (new)

Denise Massar | 1 comments Hi Everyone,

I joined Goodreads last fall after thinking/wondering about it for years. I am a memoir junkie and always love to hear other's recommendations, so please tell me your favorites. My favorites from last year were: Once Again We Saw Stars, Wild Game, Inheritance, and Mothers of Sparta.

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (julielill) | 1362 comments Welcome to all the new members!

message 14: by Koren (new)

Denise wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I joined Goodreads last fall after thinking/wondering about it for years. I am a memoir junkie and always love to hear other's recommendations, so please tell me your favorites. My f..."

Welcome Denise!

message 15: by Koren (new)

To all of the new members: Feel free to comment or start new posts. We need some new ideas here.

message 16: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Furuli | 1 comments Aloha, Andrea Furuli, here. I recently finished a memoir; sharing slivers of my family’s story of how we lived life fully, despite my husband brain cancer diagnosis fifteen years go. It’s live and available now....looking forward to sharing with and learning from other memoirists.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Andrea wrote: "Aloha, Andrea Furuli, here. I recently finished a memoir; sharing slivers of my family’s story of how we lived life fully, despite my husband brain cancer diagnosis fifteen years go. It’s live and ..."

Aloha Andrea!

message 18: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Dukett (goodreadscomsharondukett) | 2 comments Hi all. Sharon Dukett. I wrote a memoir that is coming out June 2, No Rules. I also read lots of memoir, which I have been reviewing on Goodreads, both old and new ones. Have stacks still waiting to be read. In between I read fiction as well. This week I finished Not By Accident by Samantha Dunn, and Hippie Chick: Coming of Age in the 60s by Ilene English.

message 19: by Koren (new)

Sharon wrote: "Hi all. Sharon Dukett. I wrote a memoir that is coming out June 2, No Rules. I also read lots of memoir, which I have been reviewing on Goodreads, both old and new ones. Have stacks still waiting t..."

Hippie Chick looks good. I'm going to look for it. The reviews are excellent.

message 20: by Aabha (new)

Aabha Vatsa Hi all! This is Aabha Rosy Vatsa from Faridabad, near New Delhi, India. I just finished writing my autobiography titled THE GIFT OF LIFE. It is a riveting narrative of my five decade journey across Africa and India which question's the purpose and meanings of my life's happenings. From being inspired by Eve Ensler's a Billion Rising campaign to the bombing of the twin towers, the narrative weaves a few world events with personal highs and lows.
The Kindle version is available on Amazon while the print version will be out in May end. Will keep you posted.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Aabha wrote: "Hi all! This is Aabha Rosy Vatsa from Faridabad, near New Delhi, India. I just finished writing my autobiography titled THE GIFT OF LIFE. It is a riveting narrative of my five decade journey across..."

Welcome Aabha!

message 22: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1709 comments Welcome!

message 23: by Craig (new)

Craig Tomashoff | 3 comments Koren wrote: "Starting a new discussion for introductions because I cant find the old one."

Hi, I'm Craig, a writer/reader from LA. And I am actually working on what I hope will be a humorous yet also vaguely touching read. But I'm curious to see if anyone here can recommend a good memoir that is funny but also has a heart and a point...it isn't just an essay collection. Please let me know if anyone has ideas. Thanks!

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Dukett (goodreadscomsharondukett) | 2 comments Yes. Rudy's Rules for Travel: Life Lessons from Around the Globe. I loved this book and it was funny and touching.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sho...

message 25: by Koren (new)

I suppose funny and touching are in the eye of the beholder but I will look on my humor shelf and see what I have read that I consider funny and touching:

Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood by Trevor Noah

Ava's Man by Rick Bragg

All Over But the Shoutin' by Rick Bragg

message 26: by Lady ♥ Belleza (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 216 comments :::waves from New York:::

message 27: by Craig (new)

Craig Tomashoff | 3 comments Koren wrote: "I suppose funny and touching are in the eye of the beholder but I will look on my humor shelf and see what I have read that I consider funny and touching:

[book:Born a Crime: Stories From a South..."

Thank you! I'll check these out!

message 28: by Craig (new)

Craig Tomashoff | 3 comments Sharon wrote: "Yes. Rudy's Rules for Travel: Life Lessons from Around the Globe. I loved this book and it was funny and touching.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sho..."

Thanks! I will check it out!

message 29: by Karin (new)

Karin | 275 comments Craig wrote: "Koren wrote: "Starting a new discussion for introductions because I cant find the old one."

Hi, I'm Craig, a writer/reader from LA. And I am actually working on what I hope will be a humorous yet ..."

A Girl Named Zippy fits this suggestion :)

message 30: by Finn (new)

Finn Briscoe (finnbriscoe) | 2 comments Finn here. I write short stories and novels. Here’s what I usually say in a bio: A tech entrepreneur with a passion for Latin American fiction, who didn't make it big but did make it bust, I grew up on a farm but never sang "Oh What a Beautiful Morning" while skipping through fields of waving grain. A budding entrepreneur, I risked life and limb to become an insignificant drug smuggler at the age of eighteen to help finance an education in Latin American literature, but had to get serious when my wife gave me three wonderful gifts (our children). Scared of starving kids, I began studying engineering and eventually started my own telecom company. It died, but I didn’t.

That’s pretty stuffy, so let me make it quick: Shit happens!

I have a memoir series out on Amazon that I´d like to share with the group: Fun Loving Finn .

Some people find Jesus, I think responsibility’s better, but these stories are definitely pre-responsibility. Road trips and drug dealing start it out wild, then back to growing up on a farm. Cattle, horses, or a kid on a tractor might sound boring at first, but you’d be surprised. Good clean fun can be…well—fun!
Many of Finn’s adult adventures crisscross legal as well as international boundaries, and while he’s out of Missouri for many episodes, Missouri’s never out of Finn. Mexico, Massachusetts, or the Mississippi River; Alaska, Peru, and Rio de Janeiro.
Do the farm boy and the errant hippie have anything in common other than a voice with a twang?
Here´s a link to my Amazon Author´s page. Check out the second book in the series: Billy Jewell and the Fish and the Vietnam Lottery . It´s Free all weekend long.
amazon.com/author/finnbriscoe

message 31: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Carter (barbaracarter) | 3 comments I am writing a series of memoirs that focus on various life experiences, from the massages we take away in childhood, to first love, anxiety, depression, grief, addiction, etc. Tough subjects matter. Raw and real.
I am also a visual artist artist.
Check me out here in Goodreads or visit
www.barbaracarterartist.com

message 32: by Mark (new)

Mark Playne | 1 comments Hello. Just wanted to say that my narrative non-fiction travel memoir is free on Amazon for the next three days. This the blurb.
This the blurb. "A bumbling backpacker. An exotic South American street dancer. When their travels lead them into the hands of the Colombian underworld, he has one last chance to get something right and save their lives.
Confronted with their imminent murder he delves into his deepest memories searching for any clue that might provide a means of survival. Should he listen to his logic, or follow his gut instinct? He has three seconds left to decide...."
Of course, would live to know what you all think.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

message 33: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Barron (carolinebarron_author) | 2 comments Hi memoir fans. I'm Caroline Barron, an author from Auckland and Northland, New Zealand. My book has just been released: 'Ripiro Beach: A Memoir of Life After Near Death'. Official cover blurb below, but I want to share the touchstones readers have shared with me. This book is for you if you: have ever yelled at your kids and felt shame, had long term pain or surgery, been adopted, or spent years diving into family history to try and work out who you are. It's for you if you have had a near death experience, birth trauma, PTSD or depression. It's for you if you've spent years figuring out what's wrong, but getting nowhere. This book is for YOU.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

It's available in NZ via www.carolinebarronauthor.com/book

For international buyers: https://www.fishpond.co.nz/Books/Ripi...

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Ripiro-Beach-M...

Cover blurb:
Does DNA write our destinies? Or do the hands that nurture triumph over nature? What is it that determines who we really are?

Caroline Barron’s father never found his birth mother. After he dies suddenly on her twentieth birthday, Caroline develops an insidious fear of her own untimely death. When she nearly bleeds out on an operating table during childbirth, it almost seems her greatest fear is justified.

Emerging from the experience a changed woman, Caroline spends the next six years poring over her family history in an attempt to make sense of her inexplicable rage. The family secrets she unearths threaten to destabilise her identity and carefully built life, eventually leading her to Northland’s rugged Ripiro Beach, where past and present dramatically collide.

Ripiro Beach is a beautifully written, relentlessly honest memoir about one woman’s determination to gather the threads of a life that has come undone.

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra Blasi (debra_di_blasi) | 1 comments Hi, Everyone.
I'm a former book publisher, educator, and multiple-award-winning author of 8 books. For the first time, I'm offering a giveaway of paperback Advance Reader Copies of Selling the Farm which won the 2019 C&R Press Nonfiction Award and will ship 09/15/20. A limited number is available to those who complete a Reader Survey and qualify for the giveaway. Those selected to receive the book are under no further obligation. Importantly, your information remains private; I will not sell, share or otherwise disseminate. If you're interested, please go to: Reader Survey

Selling the Farm

message 35: by Shalu (new)

Shalu Gupta | 3 comments Mark wrote: "Hello. Just wanted to say that my narrative non-fiction travel memoir is free on Amazon for the next three days. This the blurb.
This the blurb. "A bumbling backpacker. An exotic South American st..."

is it still available?

message 36: by Shalu (new)

Shalu Gupta | 3 comments Hello,
Hope you all are well!
I am a ghostwriter and editor. I am not a picky editor, so I edit all except horror. However, when it comes to writing, I specialize in writing memoir, romance and self-help books. I love to write experience. I love how people tackle life challenges, overcome obstacles, still gather courage to revisit the difficult times to write their memoir to inspire others. I have written many, but I specifically remember the book I wrote for an army officer and entrepreneur.

I joined this group to learn more about memoirs. I would love to read if any of you have any recommendations for me. I don't have kindle unlimited as of now but I will buy the subscription soon. Feel free to share the links of your books, or shoot a query. My email is yourcoauthor@gmail.com.

Have a great day!

message 37: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Rae (goodreadscomcindy_rae) | 1 comments Hi,
I'm Cindy Rae and I love reading memoirs and biographies. I have been hearing a lot about Goodread and decided to join.

I have been working on my memoir, Not Always Pretty, and after endless editing, I am finally feeling good about it.

Does anyone know where I can find Beta readers?

My website: http://www.cindyrae.net/index.html

My blog (still needs work): http://www.beautifulatanyage.info/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cindyraem/?...

Twitter: https://twitter.com/cindyraem

message 38: by Koren (new)

I have gotten a bit behind on welcoming new members soooo....Welcome everyone!

message 39: by Rick (new)

Rick Bailey (rick__bailey) | 15 comments I hope to be a good reader of stuff you post.

About me:

I'm a former writing teacher, more freshman comp than creative writing. I've had tons of experience thinking about nonfiction writing, the essay in particular. In my teaching and even more in my retirement, I write to make sense of what's going on in my life (and what went on). I also write as a legacy and/or memory project. So I think in terms of stories and vignettes, those that seem saturated with significance and also those that are kind of trivial. Then I write to capture them.

Right now I'm thinking about school experiences and times of national alarm.

JFK was assassinated on a Friday.
9/11 happened on a Tuesday.
Coronavirus happens every day.

These three sentences got me out of bed this morning.

message 40: by Koren (new)

Rick wrote: "I hope to be a good reader of stuff you post.

About me:

I'm a former writing teacher, more freshman comp than creative writing. I've had tons of experience thinking about nonfiction writing, the ..."

Welcome Rick!

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Jordan | 29 comments Hello my name is Melissa Jordan. I self published my memoir about my childhood abuse at the hands of my mother and her partner.

It's called No One To Save Me. You can find it here on Goodreads.

I'm trying to generate honest reviews and feedback.

Thank you for reading

message 42: by Koren (new)

Welcome Melissa and Jay!

message 43: by Rick (new)

Rick Bailey (rick__bailey) | 15 comments Hi writers and readers,

I'd like to get some readers and reviews of my work. In return I'm happy to read and write reviews of other people's work. Can this be done without causing onerous expense for readers (me included) to bear? My books are on Amazon, to purchase. I also have PDF and watermarked docx files that I could share cost-free.

How is this issue handled on Goodreads? Thank you for your insights.

Rick

message 44: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 1709 comments Welcome everybody!

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Hello everyone I'm new to goodreads, I wanted to pop in and say hi :)

message 46: by Koren (new)

Jessica wrote: "Hello everyone I'm new to goodreads, I wanted to pop in and say hi :)"

Welcome Jessica! If you have any questions I'm sure you can find answers from someone in the group.

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Thanks Koren!

message 48: by Sevda (new)

Sevda Khatamian | 1 comments Hello friends,
Hope you're well.
This is Sevda Khatamian. I am an artist and explorer. I've lived abroad since I was eighteen, and it's been four years that I'm traveling without a home.
My new book was published recently. The title is Put Me in the River. It's a travel memoir. Talks about thought, imaginations, and incidents occurring all the while. I've included some of my experiments as well, to be able to express the matter more pronounced. I wonder about time, seasons and global warming on an everyday level, borders, food, home, and remaining a stranger all throughout. The whole project is rather experimental. Although a bit nervous about it, I'm encouraged take it a step further for the upcoming projects.
Please feel free to have a look, and let me know if you're interested.
Take good care,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08...

message 49: by Angela (new)

Angela Caruso (angicaruso) | 1 comments HI! I'm Angela! I'm 21 and I'm an Italian student. I would like to read Gordon Ramsay biography/autobiography, do u know which is the best book about it? I saw too many options. Thx a lot! <3<3

message 50: by Koren (new)

Angela wrote: "HI! I'm Angela! I'm 21 and I'm an Italian student. I would like to read Gordon Ramsay biography/autobiography, do u know which is the best book about it? I saw too many options. Thx a lot! <3<3"

Welcome Angela! I have not read a Gordon Ramsey bio so I wont be any help.

« previous 1 3 4 5