The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Metagalactic Fruit Compote

Comments Showing 1-50 of 709 (709 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 30, 2020 03:07PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Metagalactic Fruit Compote

Team Members:

maria helena - Captain
Cathy M. - Co-captain
Mia Wellington - Co-captain
Ashita Chandy
Jodi Espindola
Brandy P
Alla
Michele Abrams-Lehn
Ananya

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments r

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 28, 2020 12:53AM) (new)

message 5: by maria helena (last edited Apr 19, 2020 02:04AM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Rules / All About Uno
Team Spreadsheet
Tracking sheet

Team Shelves
maria helena
Cathy
Jodi
Brandy
Alla
✔ Michele
Ananya

Ashita
Mia

Remember
📚 Only books started after the challenge has begun can count for cards.
📚 All finished books must be marked as read with a finished date and must be on your Uno shelf.
📚 Re-reads are ok provided it has been more than 6 months since last read.
📚 For book titles starting with an article (A/An/The), the article can be ignored or used.
📚 Books must be more than 100 pages in length.
📚 Children's books, Graphic Novels, Manga, Cook Books, Plays and Poetry books only be used if verified as over 25,000 words using arbookfind.com or more than 3 hours of audio using a reputable website (e.g. audible, overdrive).
📚 Coloured covers need to be at least 50% of a colour. Please post colour covers in the thread so we can check that they are ok to use.
📚 Have fun!

Posting Books
📚 When you finish a book, please post in this thread.
📚 Include:
- Book title
- Author
- Date completed
- All cards it works for, and why
📚 Please list all cards the book works for. It makes it easier to switch around books if necessary.

Countdown to start of UNO

message 6: by maria helena (last edited Apr 19, 2020 02:04AM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments r

message 7: by maria helena (new)

message 8: by maria helena (new)

message 9: by maria helena (new)

message 10: by Cathy M. (last edited Feb 13, 2020 10:38PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Perky Space Chef! February Mini Challenge

This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players. This month we are baking a delicious space treat!.

We have given you a recipe for Astral Pavolva. All underlined words need to be found as words in text or title, items on covers or cover colours. All underlined numbers, are matched to books read by page numbers, series numbers or publication dates. To make it easy, these are listed below. For each book read you will receive 10 points.

Underlined Words -
There are 5 categories:
word in title
word in text
colour of book cover
item on cover
colour of item on cover

Underlined numbers -
There are 3 categories:
page numbers
series number
publication date

Creativity is the key to the challenge, not rules.
So, diagonal lines on the cover? That can work for "diagonally".
A green coloured book? Is the green a bit like a "lime"?!

Words can be in different contexts, so, for example, "peaks" could be a picture of mountain peaks on the cover

Numbers for the publication date can be the month or the day or the last two digits of the publication year. (3 digit numbers can not be used for publication date) Publication date is for the edition being read (and shelved).

If you complete every item in the recipe your team will receive 30 bonus points.

Astral Pavlova Recipe
(view spoiler)

(I'll post just the words we need so we can keep track)

But wait... there's more!

Have your team create a recipe for your team name and submit via message to the UNO Pixie by Feb 29 to receive an additional 30 bonus points.

◈ Books can be started at any point since the start of the UNO challenge (Feb 1)
◈ Books need to be finished after the start of this mini challenge on February 14, 7pm AEDST (countdown is here) and before March 1 at 7pm AEDST (Countdown to March is here)

◈ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands
◈ The usual book length rules apply

So put on your aprons, grab a carton of eggs and lets get started!

message 11: by Cathy M. (last edited Feb 26, 2020 01:01AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments TRACKING LIST for MINI-CHALLENGE

starfruit ~ OPEN
1 ~ OPEN - should be easy to fill
120 ~ Cathy - Quick Fix - 120 pgs

DONE:(view spoiler)

message 12: by Cathy M. (last edited Feb 27, 2020 02:55PM) (new)

message 13: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments Hi team!

My name is maria helena, or MH for short. Uno is one of my favourite team challenges. I’ve played most years and been captain or co-captain most of the times.

I love reading series and mostly read crime and thrillers.

Looking forward to playing with you all!

message 14: by Brandy (new)

Brandy (fantasyfan101) | 48 comments Hi all! I’m Brandy. I have done Uno in the past and loved it! I put that I read an average of like 12 books a month but lately it’s been much higher. I like fantasy the most but I read others as well. I do a lot of audio books. Can’t wait to get started!!

message 15: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments Hi everyone! My name is Michele. I played UNO 2 years ago and loved it. Looking forward to this year! My reading varies greatly due to chronic migraine but I love audiobooks as well. I enjoy the teamwork involved in this challenge and hope everyone has fun playing! Can’t wait to get started!

message 16: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments A summary of what we need to read for February is posted in message #6. Does anyone already have plans of what they are going to read?

Remember to set up your Uno shelf if you haven't done so already.

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments I’m dying to read the third “Truly Devious” book- “The Hand on the Wall.” The cover is green so that would fill green H- which is the green 3 card, correct??

message 18: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 96 comments Hi!! This will be my first time playing UNO so please be patient and I’ll try not to be annoying with questions. Lol!! Excited and hope this will be fun :)

message 19: by maria helena (last edited Jan 28, 2020 10:06PM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments Michele wrote: "I’m dying to read the third “Truly Devious” book- “The Hand on the Wall.” The cover is green so that would fill green H- which is the green 3 card, correct??"

The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3) by Maureen Johnson definitely works for the colour card "3 Green".
- The cover is more than 50% green, it is over 100 pages long, and it has a title starting with H (ignoring the article)

It also works for 3 because it is third in the Truly Devious series :)

message 20: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments Jodi wrote: "Hi!! This will be my first time playing UNO so please be patient and I’ll try not to be annoying with questions. Lol!! Excited and hope this will be fun :)"

No worry - ask as much as you want :-)

message 21: by maria helena (last edited Jan 28, 2020 09:59PM) (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments I'm planning on reading The Last Time I Saw You by Liv Constantine which could work for the colour card 8 Red.

message 22: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Hi everyone! My name is Cathy & I will be assisting our fearless leader Maria Helena & fellow Co-Captain Mia to make this as painless as possible :P

I've played UNO a couple times before, as a player, Co-Captain/Captain, though I sat out the last year or 2 (can't remember, it feels like it's been so long!). I originally wasn't planning on playing but I've missed the camaraderie of playing Team Challenges so I gave in. Luckily the wonderful mods were able to put together this team for us!

I'm an Office Manager in a law firm in LA so there are times I won't be able to log in for long during the day, but I usually do check-in at night when I have more time. But fear not, one of us will eventually be around to answer any of your questions & to help you along the way. That's what we are here for! Looks like there are a lot of newbies but don't worry, you'll catch on quick enough.

Hopefully we find lots of good books to read during this time, but most importantly, have fun :)

message 23: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments I can start with The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley which works for 3, 6 or 9 Green (according to the characters listed on the main page so I'll have to confirm once I start).

I didn't realize how many color covers we'd have so I'll look for some more!

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi Mh...popping in to say hi to you and your team!

message 25: by maria helena (new)

maria helena (mariahel) | 930 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Mh...popping in to say hi to you and your team!"

Hi Laura! :-)

message 26: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Hi Laura! So sad you don't remember us being "Others" buddies so long ago... :)

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Cathy M. wrote: "Hi Laura! So sad you don't remember us being "Others" buddies so long ago... :)"

Hi Cathy! Anything I say here just digs me a deeper hole doesn't it?
We should definitely do another buddy read for the next release!!

message 28: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 29, 2020 11:28AM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Looking thru the threads again, looks like so far we have:

- 8 Red ~ The Last Time I Saw You by Liv Constantine MH
- 3 Green ~ The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3) by Maureen Johnson Michelle
- 9 Green ~ The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley Cathy (or 6 Green)
- 1 Red ~ OPEN
- 6 Green ~ OPEN
- 5 Blue ~ OPEN
- 5 Yellow ~ OPEN

Please speak up if you can cover any of the colors! We also have to duplicate 4 of the cards so even if they are claimed above, we can still use them for the duplicates. I know I'm one of the bigger readers in the group and I have access to tons of books (too many subscriptions) so I don't want to hog all the spots for them and want to give everyone a chance.

Last night I was looking for 5 Red & 5 Yellow, come to find out we don't even have 5 Red as a card. Ugh wasted so much time :( 5 Yellow is TOUGH but I will continue the search.

message 29: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Laura wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Hi Laura! So sad you don't remember us being "Others" buddies so long ago... :)"

We should definitely do anot..."

Awww not my intention *hugs* I enjoyed doing the BRs with you before so yes we definitely should!!

message 30: by Jodi (new)

message 31: by Jodi (new)

message 32: by Ashita (new)

Ashita Chandy | 2 comments Hi this is my first time to play UNO.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura Cathy M. wrote: "Laura wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Hi Laura! So sad you don't remember us being "Others" buddies so long ago... :)"

We should defi..."

Great! I bet we could get some of the “Others” to join us. Enjoy uno and see you soon!

message 34: by Ashita (new)

Ashita Chandy | 2 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

I’d like to go for Green as well.

message 35: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Mia wrote: "I can take one red
I’ll do https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Hi Mia, can you please confirm which edition you will be reading? The only one with a red cover is the Slovenian one (?).

message 36: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Jodi wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
I’ll take 5 yellow."

I'm sorry Jodi, the consensus from the Captains is that this one does not work for yellow. Appears more off-white than yellow. :( BUT if you want to read it, it will work for the standard cards. Just not for yellow cover.

message 37: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Jodi wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
I’ll also take green 6"

This one is good!!

message 38: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Ashita wrote: "Hi this is my first time to play UNO."

Welcome Ashita! Let us know if you need help with understanding anything.

message 39: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 29, 2020 05:16PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Ananya wrote: "Will Scythe. work for 1 Red (as it is first book in a series)?"

Great book! I'm sorry, I don't think this is 50% red but will let the other captains chime in for a consensus. It will work for #1 card though for 1st in series, along with cards 2, 4, 6, 9 & Reverse (that I remember at least).

message 40: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Laura wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Laura wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Hi Laura! So sad you don't remember us being "Others" buddies so long ago... :)"

Hi Cathy! Anything I say here just digs me a deeper hole doesn't it..."

For sure :) Good luck to you & your team too!

message 41: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Ananya wrote: "and this If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman for 5 blue( it starts with 'I'?"

Another book I loved!

Would definitely work for the Blue cover.

message 42: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 29, 2020 04:52PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Great job with those color covers! Here is an updated listing (hopefully I didn't miss any):

- 8 Red ~ The Last Time I Saw You by Liv Constantine MH
- 3 Green ~ The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3) by Maureen Johnson Michelle
- 6 Green ~ A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue Grafton Jodi
- 9 Green ~ The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Flavia de Luce, #1) by Alan Bradley Cathy (or 6 Green)
- 5 Blue ~ If I Stay (If I Stay, #1) by Gayle Forman Ananya

- 1 Red ~ OPEN
- 5 Yellow ~ OPEN

Duplicated Card (4 of any listed above):
- 6 Green ~ A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1) by Sue Grafton Ashita

If anything comes up and you are unable to read the book that you've claimed, please make sure you let us know so someone else can cover before the end of the month.

Also, please remember that books cannot be started until the game starts - Countdown is posted at bottom of Post #6 above.

message 43: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 96 comments https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Here is the book I originally listed for yellow 5 with the full yellow cover edition. Will this work?

message 44: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments I can read “One of Us is Lying” for card Red1

message 45: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments How do I find the cute little book photos?

message 46: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Jodi wrote: "https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Here is the book I originally listed for yellow 5 with the full yellow cover edition. Will this work?"

That one is definitely yellow. Please make sure you mark as read the correct edition (should be the one you read) to your UNO shelf.

message 47: by Cathy M. (last edited Jan 29, 2020 09:47PM) (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Michele wrote: "How do I find the cute little book photos?"

In the upper right corner of the Comment box click on "add book/author". Then enter the title, click the cover option at the bottom of the box that pops up and click on search. If you see the correct book but wrong cover/edition, you can click on "Other options"right below the "Add" box to the right of that book. Once you find it click"Add" and it will post to your Comment (once you post).

For One of Us is Lying, I don't see a red cover option. Which edition do you have?

message 48: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments Cathy- I don’t seem to have that option for adding books- maybe because I use my phone? Either way I have the hardcover version of “One of Us is Lying.” Not certain if it qualifies as red or not- I’d argue it should. If not I can read another book- thinking “Magic for Liars.” Or anything else that would help the team.

message 49: by Michele (new)

Michele Abrams Lehn (mabramslehn) | 428 comments One of Us Is Lying

Yep, must comment from computer. Got it.

message 50: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 505 comments Michele wrote: "One of Us Is Lying

Yep, must comment from computer. Got it."

Don't see any edition that would qualify as being more than 50% unless its not listed on GR - One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1) by Karen M. McManus looks to be the English version, and others have even less red on them. If you are reading the 2nd book in that series then yes it would work.

Also when you are on your phone are you using the app or web page (Safari or whatever you have on your phone)? If you view as a web page and it comes up as the Mobile version you can switch to Desktop version by clicking on Desktop version and the bottom right of your screen.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15