What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > reviewed on NPR, a story of murder committed by an entire town

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christi (new)

Christi | 25 comments I'm not sure if this book is fiction or non-. I think it takes place in Florida. I listened to a review on NPR a few years ago, and foolishly didn't write down the title at the time. A small town is at least complicit in a murder of a man who deserved it--a bit like the story from Missouri in the early 1980's.

message 2: by inaword (new)

inaword | 142 comments So to clarify, the story from Missouri you're talking about is about the murder of Ken McElroy. Are you looking for a book about that particular incident, or a book with a similar story in it?

message 3: by Christi (new)

Christi | 25 comments The story is similar but I think it takes place in Florida.

message 4: by inaword (new)

inaword | 142 comments It looks like the NPR website has as list of the books they've reviewed, you might be able to look around there and see if you can find it.

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jan 22, 2020 05:44PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments So not In Broad Daylight?

Do you remember when you read it/heard the review?

message 6: by Christi (new)

Christi | 25 comments bump. I believe I heard the review in the 2010's. I was in my car, in a parking lot, without a pen. I tried the NPR archives but nothing rings a bell. I think the narrator of the story is a kid in the town. The story may have been about racialized violence, or it may not. I seem to recall the story was set in the first half of the 20th century.

message 7: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Something to try: go to the book page linked @5 - look at all the books under "Readers Also Enjoyed." Sometimes those books can be surprisingly similar to the book on that book page.