The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Void Tartlet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 567 (567 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2020 03:29PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1351 comments
Team Void Tartlet

Team Members:

Kaley - Captain
Laila Jane - Co-captain
Natasha LeTourneau
Elena
M
MelanieJoy
Anna
Gwen Landis
Ilsen
Alexis Kastigar

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Kaley (last edited Feb 24, 2020 12:02PM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Important links

TEAM SHELVES
🗸❅ Kaley - Captain
🗸❅ Laila Jane - Co-captain
🗸❅ Natasha LeTourneau
🗸❅ Elena
🗸❅ M
🗸❅ MelanieJoy
🗸❅ Anna
🗸❅ Gwen Landis
🗸❅ Ilsen
🗸❅ Alexis Kastigar

SPREADSHEETS/THREADS
Team Spreadsheet
Current Status

UNO GUIDELINES
Rules
Frequently Asked Questions

HELPFUL TOOLS
Word Count Verification (Children's books, Graphic Novels, Manga, Cook Books, Plays and Poetry books)
Yellow Covers
Blue Covers
Green Covers
Red Covers
Important note
Some books on the color cover list may not seem like the color cover. This is because GR will show the default version. There may be a specific version that has been shelved that is the actual color. The version you read is what you should shelve, and is what counts, for UNO.

COUNTDOWN
Countdown to March

message 6: by Kaley (last edited Jan 21, 2020 03:45PM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Important rules to remember

❅ Only books started after the challenge starts can count for this challenge.
❅ All finished books must be marked as read and must be on your Uno shelf.
❅ This year, the rules for color covers are different. We are using common sense to determine if a book cover is primarily one color. If you're unsure, then ask here and we can talk it over as a group. If we can't come to a decision, Laila Jane or I will take it to the captains group.
❅ Books must be more than 100 pages in length. Children's books, Graphic Novels, Manga, Cook Books, Plays and Poetry books cannot be used unless by word count they can be verified as more than 25,000 words or more than 3 hours of audio.
❅ You must check in at least once a week so I know you’re still actively participating. You can post a book, or if you haven’t finished one, just stop by here and say hi :)
❅ Have fun!! It's a social challenge, so can get chatty. And while we do want points and want to finish all our cards, this isn't supposed to be a competitive challenge. So enjoy your reading!

Other info
When it comes to cards, I prefer to just read and fill in what is needed rather than "claiming" cards (since sometimes cards need to be shuffled around). However, when it comes to color cards, please do claim those so we know those are covered.

message 7: by Kaley (last edited Jan 23, 2020 09:04AM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments POSTING FORMAT

When you finish a book, please post it below in this format.

Book:
Author:
Date Read:
Cards it fits:

So, for example...

Book: Heartless
Author: Marissa Meyer
Date read: Feb. 1, 2020
Cards it fits:
0 - standalone
3 - H title
Skip - character Catherine Pinkerton

Note: Please make to shelve the edition that you actually read, & make sure to link the edition you shelved here!

message 8: by Kaley (last edited Apr 15, 2020 05:30PM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments APRIL

Cards complete: 33 of 112

Hands complete: 3 of 16

Cards remaining:

0: 6
1: 8
2: 8
3: 7
4: 11
5: 2
6: 6
8: 3
9: 4
Skip: 7
Reverse: 4
Draw 2: 4
Wild: 3
Wild Draw 4: 2

Color cards
7 Yellow
8 Yellow
5 Red
3 Green - Ilsen

message 9: by Kaley (last edited Mar 31, 2020 08:51PM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments APRIL MINI CHALLENGE

Info to come mid-April

message 10: by Kaley (last edited Jan 21, 2020 03:51PM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Hi team!

My name is Kaley and I'm your team captain. I live in Indiana (in the US) with my fiance and our two dogs and one cat. I believe this is my fourth year doing UNO, but I'm starting to lose count!

My favorite genres include YA, new adult, and contemporary romance . . . but often it depends on my mood :) I do love mystery/thrillers now and then, and I'm usually willing to give mostly any genre a try.

Some of my favorite authors include Rainbow Rowell, Sarah Dessen, and Jodi Picoult. I will always have a deep love for the Harry Potter series as well.

I can't wait to get to know all of you! I've sent all of you a friend request -- please make sure to accept requests from Laila Jane and I so we can see your shelves for the challenge. I'd encourage you to add your fellow teammates as friends as well, especially since it'll make finding books for Reverse cards much easier, but that is not required!

Please, when you introduce yourself, also include a link to your UNO shelf. Thanks!

message 11: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Res

message 12: by Laila Jane (new)

message 13: by Laila Jane (new)

message 14: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Hi everyone! I’m Laila. This is my 5th year doing Uno and possibly my 3rd to co-captain. Uno was actually my first team challenge and one of my absolute favorites!

I live in Illinois (we’re neighbors Kaley!) with my husband and almost 3-year-old son. I work as a night nurse so you’ll most likely see me make posts at odd hours of the day.

I have always been an avid reader. From as far back as I can remember, I have loved books. My favorite genre is always romance, whether it’s YA, NA, historical, or paranormal it doesn’t matter. In the last year or so though I’ve started reading more mystery/thrillers and non-fiction books. So really, I will read just about anything.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and hope you enjoy this challenge as much as I do!!

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 124 comments Hi everyone! This is my 3rd year doing UNO and I’m so excited to start! I was obsessively checking my phone everyday of January for the sign up sheet.
I’m going to say now that there will be some days I can’t read, since I’m in school and homework can sometimes take all night, but I’m a very competitive person so I’ll probably fit it in

message 16: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 120 comments Hi all! This is my first time playing UNO and I'm excited! I love a good challenge. My name is Gwen and I live in Vermont. I read all kinds of books but some of my favorite genres are post-apocalyptic, dystopian, YA, historical fiction, memoirs, travel, some sci-fi, some fantasy, horror, thrillers, and more. I don't read much romance but I'm open to anything good.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like.

message 17: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments Hello, hello! I'm Elena and I live in Maryland with my husband and our dogs and cats. This is my 4th UNO, I think, and I've been looking forward to it every year since I joined! Science fiction and fantasy are my absolute faves, but I do read across most genres (spiritual and romance the least of), and I've definitely stepped out of my comfort zone for a challenge! So glad to meet everyone and very excited to start!

message 18: by Natasha (new)

Natasha | 78 comments Hi! My name is Natasha. I'm from snowy Minnesota and am a first time UNO Player. I love to read (obviously) and currently work at a library in the book processing department. I'll read just about anything as long as it's well written. When I'm not reading, I like to spend time with my husband, two dogs and numerous house plants. My latest challenge is trying to grow a pineapple plant (it is not going well). I look forward to reading with you all!

UNO Shelf 2020

message 19: by M (new)

M Beal | 193 comments Hello, I am M from Vancouver Canada. I think this is my third UNO, maybe the fourth. I mainly read Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Historical fiction. Excited to start this challenge.

message 20: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments So excited to meet you all! (or to work with you again in some cases!)

I went ahead and posted a breakdown of our cards for the month in this post. We have 7 color cards this month and three Wild Draw 4s, so we'll have to read for 10 color cards total between all of us. Be thinking about if you have any that you want to read for & claim! In general for non-color cards I just believe in reading what you want and I'll find the best place for it, but for color cards, claiming is usually the best course of action — that way we're not duplicating efforts since the requirements for those are so specific.

We still have a few more people who need to check in, so I will wait for all of you to get first dibs on any color cards you want and I can pick up what's left.

message 21: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Elena & Anna — can you please post a link to your 2020 uno shelf when you get a chance? Thanks!

message 22: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments Hi everyone! My name is Ilsen and this is my first UNO challenge! A friend from Goodreads told me about it and as I love the game itself, I would love for it to apply to my reading and I love reading challenges. I mostly read Young Adult fiction and my favorite genres are contemporary and fantasy but I’m open to anything! I’ve been dabbling into middle grade and adult fiction so I’m super excited.

I guess I’m a little confused on how it works. I have read the rules but I’m not sure how to plan for it or how to read it so if anyone can give me some clarification that will be great (it’s more for the special cards). But I’m super excited to take part!

message 23: by Kaley (last edited Jan 23, 2020 07:40AM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Hi Ilsen!

As far as special cards go, let me try to break it down for you:

Draw 2 — No one actually reads for this card. This card just allows us to use the same book for two cards in a hand.

So, for example, say we have a hand that has a Draw 2, 1, and 3, and I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone — I could use that one book for both 1 (first in series) and 3 (H title) because of the Draw 2.
(You can see an example on the "Example" tab of our group spreadsheet. Hand 2 has a Draw 2 card you can look at.

Reverse — This is reading a book that anyone else on your team has already read. This is why it's beneficial to have your teammates as friends...because when you go to a book's main page, it will tell you which of your friends have read it. I will go through each book everyone posts and check for this anyway as a backup, so if you can't figure out how to tell, don't worry!

Wild — This just means that whatever book I place here has to fit for any card in the same hand. So, for example, our ninth hand is 1, 5, 8, 3, Wild, 1, and Skip. Whatever I place for the Wild card has to fit the requirements for either 1, 5, 8, 3, or Skip. Don't worry about reading anything specific for this either — I will place in something that fits.

Wild Draw 4 — This means we have to duplicate one of our color cards for the month. We have seven color cards for Feb. — 9 Blue, 5 Red, 1 Blue, 1 Yellow, 4 Red, 0 Yellow, 2 Blue. Whatever we use for this must fit the requirements of one of those cards — and we can only use each one once.

Color cards — The number on these must fit the requirements for the corresponding number card, and the cover must also be more than 50% of that color. So, for example, our 9 Blue card — whatever we use for this must have a cover that is more than 50% blue and must fit for the 9 card requirements (title starting with N, author first or last name starting with N, etc.)

Hopefully that helps! If not, let me know and I can try to clarify further. It definitely is a lot to take in when you first start off, but I promise it's much easier once you get the hang of it :)

message 24: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments Ohhhhh now it makes sense!! Thank you! Like Anna, I’m also in school but I’m going to try to plan it out soon!

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena  | 409 comments My shelf - uno-2020.

message 26: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 124 comments Hi, here's my shelf - uno-books-2020

message 27: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Thank you!

So what's everyone excited about reading this year?

I plan to continue the Outlander series (though probably not during this challenge because it would really mess with my books per month)! I also recently got excited about the Hunger Games prequel The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes now that a snippet has been released! I originally wasn't sure if I'd read it, but I think it sounds like a very interesting premise.

message 28: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments I have no clue what I’m reading. I think it might be The Screaming Staircase, Loveboat, Taipei, It Ends With Us, Lovely War, and Harry Potter! I’m just not sure where everything is gonna fit.

message 29: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Kastigar | 15 comments Hi everyone! I’m Alexis and this is my first time playing UNO but I’m no stranger to a good reading challenge! I’m definitely excited to give this one a go and get to work with you all.

A little tied bit about myself, I’m closing in on my 25th birthday (on the 3rd!) and live in West Virginia. I’m a veterinary technician so you all might also see me making posts at odd hours of the day solely because the last 12+ hours at work.

But reading really helps relax after the high stress days and I’ve unfortunately fallen out of my habit of reading here recently. This challenge is all the more incentive to get back into my proper ways (especially as my grandmother and aunt would prefer them, as they’re both librarians and raised me in their libraries!)

Primarily I’m a fan of YA and Fantasy (especially anything LGBT related), but throw in biographies, sci-Fi, mystery/thriller, and classics from time to time. I’m pretty much down to give just about anything a try and see if I like it.

(I’ll edit with my link for my uno shelf. I’m on my phone like a scrub.)

message 30: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Kastigar | 15 comments ...and because I’m on my phone I can’t edit posts. Lord, regardless here’s this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 31: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Ilsen wrote: "I have no clue what I’m reading. I think it might be The Screaming Staircase, Loveboat, Taipei, It Ends With Us, Lovely War, and Harry Potter! I’m just not sure where everything is gonna fit."

I loved It Ends With Us! I had a serious book hangover after finishing that one.

As for what I'm planning to read this year, I hadn't really thought about it too much. I'm doing a lot of challenges so I've kind of let that guide me to my next books. I do really want to start The Bromance Book Club series and finish some of the historical romance series by Tessa Dare and Lisa Kleypas. Oh! And I want to finish the All Souls Trilogy. But they're long books so I'll have to fit that in somewhere.

message 32: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Kaley wrote: "Thank you!

So what's everyone excited about reading this year?

I plan to continue the Outlander series (though probably not during this challenge because it would really mess with my books per mo..."

I hadn't realized there was going to be a prequel. I'm curious to see what you think about it. I think I might be a little unsure about that one too. I feel like I have to be in a certain mood to read it

message 33: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments I think it’s still a few months from release, but I’ll definitely be checking it out. At first I didn’t think I would read it because I didn’t think emotionally I could go through another Hunger Games, but after they released a snippet, I’m intrigued....

It’s about (view spoiler)

message 34: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 124 comments I was planning on finishing the Jack the Ripper series, but I already did that! I’m also planning on reading “The Complete Works of Sherlock Holmes”. There’s a few series I’m planning to finish- Renegades, Scythe, Harry Potter (I’ve already read them three times but I have started rereading them again), the Trials of Apollo, Throne of Glass, and Girls is Paper and Fire. And I want to reread a few series like Pendragon and The Lighthouse Land, and start The Hunger Games and (maybe) Outlander.

message 35: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments I want to finish Stalking Jack the Ripper series too along with Throne of Glass, The Diviners, and my reread of Harry Potter! I’m also behind on all of my book club picks!

message 36: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 124 comments Ilsen, which book are you on in Stalking Jack the Ripper?

message 37: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1351 comments Please welcome MelanieJoy!

replacing Melissa

message 38: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Welcome MelanieJoy!

message 39: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments How was the end of the SJTP series?? I loved the first two books but then Escaping Houdini was making me mad and I never finished it 😆

message 40: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Kaley wrote: "I think it’s still a few months from release, but I’ll definitely be checking it out. At first I didn’t think I would read it because I didn’t think emotionally I could go through another Hunger Ga..."

Really? That is intriguing. I might have to put this on my TBR list

message 41: by Anna (new)

Anna (bookgirl2) | 124 comments You’ll definitely like Capturing the Devil if you like the romance. It gets a lot more romance heavy in the last one than the other three.

message 42: by Laila Jane (new)

Laila Jane (axlilxlala) | 454 comments Welcome to the team MelanieJoy!

message 43: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments Kaley wrote: "How was the end of the SJTP series?? I loved the first two books but then Escaping Houdini was making me mad and I never finished it 😆"

Anna wrote: "Ilsen, which book are you on in Stalking Jack the Ripper?"

I just need the last one left because I just haven’t had time to pick it up unfortunately. Personally I didn’t hate the third one but I understand why it made other people mad but personally I thought it was an important book. But my favorite is Hunting Prince Dracula!

message 44: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Anna wrote: "You’ll definitely like Capturing the Devil if you like the romance. It gets a lot more romance heavy in the last one than the other three."

Good to know! I didn’t like Escaping Houdini because of (view spoiler)

message 45: by Ilsen (new)

Ilsen Leon | 106 comments Kaley wrote: "Anna wrote: "You’ll definitely like Capturing the Devil if you like the romance. It gets a lot more romance heavy in the last one than the other three."

Good to know! I didn’t like Escaping Houdin..."

Ok I will say that bothered the hell out of me. (view spoiler)

I’m sorry for the long spoiler tag. I’m very passionate about this series.

message 46: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Ilsen wrote: "I’m sorry for the long spoiler tag. I’m very passionate about this series."

It's good to be passionate about it! I'm not sure if I made it to the (view spoiler) to be honest. I'm pretty sure I was reading it and then a GR challenge started (I almost want to say it was last year's UNO) so I switched to reading things that would count for the challenge (since I'd started it before the challenge it wouldn't count) and then I just never went back to it because I was mad! :-P

I'll come back to it at some point. Maybe during this challenge I'll start the series from the beginning again...

message 47: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 120 comments Quick question - I'm working on putting together a list of my colored cards options from my TBR list - what should I do with it when I'm done?

message 48: by Kaley (last edited Jan 27, 2020 06:52AM) (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments You can post it here, if you want! I have shelves for each color card, and that feeds into the color shelf links in this post. That way I can add them to the possibilities for the rest of the team to consider too!

If there are any you want to read for our corresponding February cards, let me know and I can put you down for those!

message 49: by Gwen (new)

Gwen | 120 comments Okay, here is my list:

9-Blue: Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (N in author's name)

5-Red: The Enchanted April by E. von Arnim (takes place in Italy)

1-Blue: The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen (1st in a series)

1-Yellow: On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony (1st in a series)

4-Red: Dr Sleep by Stephen King (takes place in Frazier, NH)

0-Yellow: Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (character named Zarite)

2-Blue: Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (T in author's name)

I hope I'm doing this right! Do all of these work? Dr Sleep doesn't have a ton of red on the cover so I'm not sure about that one. As for claiming any, I'm definitely reading The Enchanted April for our book group next month. I'm open to any of the others so just let me know.

message 50: by Kaley (new)

Kaley (kaleyamo) | 991 comments Ok, so:

I'm not sure that Spinning Silver works. It looks more gray than blue to me.

The Enchanted April should work as long as it's the Kindle edition:
The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim

The False Prince works!

I'll have to check on On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) by Piers Anthony & Doctor Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King I'm not sure if they're quite yellow and red enough!

And the last two look good too!

If you know for sure you'll be reading The Enchanted April, I can go ahead and write you down for that one. Let me know if there are any others you want to claim. No one else has claimed yet so hopefully we will have plenty to cover and you can keep some of them for later months if needed!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12