Start by marking “One of Us Is Lying” as Want to Read:
One of Us Is Lying

One of Us Is Lying

(One of Us is Lying #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  133,977 ratings  ·  19,304 reviews
Yale hopeful Bronwyn has never publicly broken a rule.

Sports star Cooper only knows what he's doing in the baseball diamond.

Bad boy Nate is one misstep away from a life of crime.

Prom queen Addy is holding together the cracks in her perfect life.

And outsider Simon, creator of the notorious gossip app at Bayview High, won't eve
Published May 30th 2017 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about One of Us Is Lying, please sign up.
Karen McManus Hi Hannah, yes, that was the original inspiration -- The Breakfast Club with a criminal twist. I've always been interested in the concept of different…moreHi Hannah, yes, that was the original inspiration -- The Breakfast Club with a criminal twist. I've always been interested in the concept of different types of people being brought together and having to interact with one another, and thought that adding a mystery would raise the stakes in an interesting way.(less)
Karen McManus Hi Joan, thanks so much for reading and for your question! I'm currently working on a second book for Delacorte, due to be published in 2018. It's…moreHi Joan, thanks so much for reading and for your question! I'm currently working on a second book for Delacorte, due to be published in 2018. It's also a standalone YA in the suspense/thriller vein. (less)

·  133,977 ratings  ·  19,304 reviews

Start your review of One of Us Is Lying
Chelsea Humphrey
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Solomon ✴ The Bookish King
What a marvelous, delectable read! There was something so addictive about this book; it felt at times distinctly young adult while also having moments that felt so well done it was beyond the stereotype of what a teenage thriller tends to be. It’s taken me 4 days just to collect my thoughts to the point that I can attempt writing a proper review, and I’m certain this will be one of the most talked about books in the YA genre this Spring/Summer season. My issues with this book were minor, and I’l ...more
Larry H
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this 4.5 stars.

If One of Us Is Lying was a television series, I would binge-watch it wholeheartedly. It's been a while since I've gotten so into a book I've devoured the majority of it in one sitting when I haven't been on a plane. This hooked me completely, and I'm surprised how much I liked it.

Five students have detention one afternoon. There's Cooper, the golden boy and star baseball player trying to decide between college and the major leagues; Bronwyn, the clas
Chaima ✨ شيماء

Hi hello I’m coming at you live from the bog of eternal satisfaction on this warm wednesday night in July because THIS BOOK.

I finished this book with the biggest cheesiest grin on my face, I don’t even know what plane of existence that was but there were a lot of corny feelings involved (any planets I can blame that on??). It’s like I was floating on a cloud or something. I was overwhelmed with so many emotions for no reason and I guess my cotton candy heart just went off!!! I wish at least it was rai
Trina (Between Chapters)
Content warning: Harmful representation of sexuality and mental illness.

This book was such a disappointment because I was REALLY enjoying it up until the last 3rd or so. I seriously thought this would be a 4 or 5 star read. However, upon finishing, I strongly believe that this book should not have been published as is. It's ignorant and damaging.

Aside from the parts that I found harmful, the writing was very trope heavy and relied on too many stereotypes for character development
Matthew
4 to 4.5 Stars

Every time I walk into the living room my wife is watching Pretty Little Liars or Revenge or Riverdale or Veronica Mars or . . . well, you get the idea. Sometimes I watch a bit with her. As I started this book I immediately thought “this book will be perfect for her – it’s the same type of thing”!

So, if you like those shows, books like those shows, books those shows are based on, etc., then this is the book for you. While not the most complex mystery I have
Charlotte May
‘Everybody’s got secrets,’ he says. ‘Right?’

THIS BOOK!! You guys, I thought this book was brilliant! So many great elements all thrown together.

- murder mystery
- high school drama
- secrets, both big and small
- suspicion

I love a murder mystery anyway, but this one was made better as I cared about the 4 kids who were suspects.

The star of the baseball team harbouring a huge secret.
The Prom Queen who has never been able to find herself as a separate person from her long term
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I'm going to go ahead and leave this at a 4 star. I wasn't sure between 3 and 4 because it's one of those books that was driving me crazier than I am. I couldn't put the book down and wanted to smack everyone in the book!

Major players:

Simon
Broneyn
Nate
Cooper
Addy

They all go to detention and one dies. Why?

There are lies and evilness all around! Stupidity and sadness.

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
More addicting than lays potato chips! Well, I can't remember the last time I've eaten lays potato chips. Do they still make them?

My 5 stars are for pure page-turning enjoyment. I LOVED "The Breakfast Club" ---(my kids watched it a half dozen times too) ---and this was The Breakfast Club on steroids!

Moral of the story: All kids lie! haha!
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
”Six hours and five minutes from then we were heading to detention. An hour later, he died.
Seventeen years, gone just like that.”

Six people
A detention room
A cup of water
1 teacher
5 students
4 students
1 dead body

This is the recipe this book was made of and since I enjoyed solving the murder mystery I decided that I won’t go into detail all too much.
This is the kind of book in which you get four POVs and have as much information as the characters that talk abou/>5
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
I feel like one of maybe four people in the world who just... really did not enjoy this book? I've been putting off this review for weeks because I just don't know where to start. I have so many friends who raved about this book to me, so I was so disappointed by it.

These are only my opinions, and I would never dream of disrespecting anyone who disagrees with my review, so please show the same courtesy and don't hate me for what I'm about to say. ❤

what i liked

This is a very quick read; if I had/>→
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
3.75 A mystery/murder breakfast club!
may ❀
I’m always so hesitant with thrillers bc they’re always a hit or miss for me buT DAMN THIS WAS SO GOOD

description

Things that this Book will Bless your Life with
- Friendship
- A precious boy who deserves the world
- Writing so addictive you’re willing to let your tea go cold for it
- CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
- A SHIP THAT WILL SMACK YOU IN THE FEELS OH MY GOD IM STILL NOT OVER IT
- A mystery that will haveclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
Anne
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan of "The Breakfast Club", I loved the concept of five characters with different personalities meeting in detention from the get go, and I'm incredibly happy to report that my high expectations were even exceeded!
(By the way, besides the detention-concept, the story is completely different from "The Breakfast Club", so you don't need to fear that this is some cheap knockoff!)

All the main characters get introduced within a few pages right at the beginning. I often find th
Sana
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is this what AKLDSBSAJL;FRSFWHATTHEFUCKJUSTHAPPENED??? feels like? Because I think I just experienced that shit, dude.

My heart is literally beating so fast from this thrill and mystery and feels fulfilled with something heavy called satisfaction. I haven't been so content and had screamy feels over a thriller since Dangerous Girls, which was 213324 decades ago.

Tbh, it's so hard to find a thriller that literally has you on the edge of your seat, biting your nails, screaming at and suspecting everyone, saying "WHAT THE FUCK" every 3 pages, wanting to fli
Pouting Always
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It sounds like the Breakfast Club with five teenagers, all from different groups, stuck together in detention. Yet things are off from the start, all of the kids claim that the cellphones that landed them there didn't belong to them. When one of them suddenly collapses from an anaphylactic attack, things get even stranger. Now Simon, the boy who had that anaphylactic attack, is dead and everyone in the room is a suspect when the tox screen comes back and it becomes clear that someone purposefull ...more
megs_bookrack
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 kids.
1 teacher.
1 room.
1 mysterious death.

Whodunnit?

This type of set up, the locked-room mystery, is one of my all-time favorite tropes.

It is so nostalgic for me, bringing back memories of family games of Clue, watching Murder, She Wrote with my Mom and reading Agatha Christie books whilst on summer vacation.

Add in the fact that this cast is very similar to the stereotypicadeath.
Erin
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book should be called All of Us Are Liars.

One of Us Is Lying was fasted paced, fun, and very addictive. Once I picked this book up I could not put it down. It also served as a pallet cleanser after The Handmaid's Tale. I needed something fun and lighter in tone(yes I know its about the murder of a teenager).

At about 100 pages in I developed a theory about who was behind the crime and it turns out I was right. All my years of watching SVU, Criminal Minds, and 48 Hours have not b
maram ☂︎
loooved the characterization, the story was entertaining and the ending was sweet-ish

rtc

---

BR WITH THESE PRECIOUS JEWELS: Sweets &
Cute Amy & Dotty & Chai latte & Prag
Lola
May 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is an adequate mystery YA novel. The writing is engaging and accessible. The story itself is narrated by the four main characters—Bronwyn, Addy, Nate and Cooper—, thus keeping things moving at a fast pace.

I was very curious about this book. How can one not be, when hearing the premise? Five students walk into the detention room and only four come out? I love these kinds of stories—like And Then There Were None—in which everyone is a suspect and no one is to be trusted.

But I was disappointed with the sto
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Some people are too toxic to live. They just are.”

Welcome to detention, where a princess, a jock, a brain, a criminal and . . . a gossip???? Wait, that’s not historically accurate . . . . .

Have all earned a spot for violating one of the most serious rules of high school: NO PHONES IN CLASS. They’ve done the crime, now they have to do the time as well as write a 500 word essay about how technology is ruining American high schoolshttp://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
Misstdennis
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 Stars!

“Unless one of us is lying. Which is always a possibility.”

Oh me oh my, this book was not what I expected at all.
I hadn't looked into the plot too much so I was going in half blind in a way.
I was thinking this would be The Breakfast Club 2.0.
But I was wrong.
I thought this was going to be yet another YA Contemporary novel with predictable plots.
But I was wrong.

This book was so gripping and I flew through the pages like it was no tomorrow.
From start to finish I was on the edge of my seat and trying to figure out the murder like a was on an episode of Law and Order.
And if I'mplots.
ButStars!
“Unless
jessica
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
detective jessica, human lie detector, reporting for duty!

i got to the bottom of this and figured it out pretty easily early on, but that didnt detract from the story in the slightest. initially, i was worried this was going to be too much like the breakfast club meets murder she wrote but, other than the student stereotypes, this wasnt like that at all and i was so glad.

i loved how entertaining this was. i appreciated the little twists and turns, here and there, that kep
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
5 Students walk into detention. A few minutes later 1 of them is dead. Who killed Simon?

I've been wanting to read One of Us is Lying for awhile now. I am a hug fan of tv shows like Riverdale and Pretty Little Liars and teen movies like Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Mean Girls, Can't Buy Me Love, Scream, etc. I could go on & on. It's pretty bad - I can't flip through the channels and see any of those on without watching. Therefore, it's no surprise that this book seemed like a pe
Carol (Bookaria)
I loooooved and devoured this book!

Once I started this book it was very hard to put down.

Five high school students end up in detention one day, one of them does not make it out alive and we are left with the questions about what happened, who did it and why.

The plot is told from the different points of views of each of the four students that survived detention and the journey and unraveling of this mystery was awesome.

It
Dannii Elle
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the author, Karen M. McManus, and the publisher, Delacorte Press, for this opportunity.

After a typical day in a typical American high school, five teenagers enter detention but only four make it out alive. Simon, notorious due to his gossip-style blog that revealed all the dark and dirty secrets his fellow students never thought would see the light of day, had made many enemies. But which one would want to
Berit☀️✨
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, audiobooks
5 suspicious Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟

Please ignore all comparisons of this book to The Breakfast Club.... and go into this book with an open mind....
The only similarity to this book and that fabulous 80s movie is these five very stereotyped teenagers spend some time in detention together... this is where the similarities end.... and I mean this in a good way.... I really enjoyed this book....

Loved all these characters..... and I really wanted them all to be innocent.... it was fun and
Jasmine from How Useful It Is
About: One of Us is Lying is a young adult thriller written by Karen M. McManus. It was published on 5/30/17 by Delacorte Press, an imprint of Random House, 368 pages. The genres are young adult, contemporary, thriller, and mystery. It is intended for readers ages 14 and up, grades 9 and up. This book is the author’s debut.

My Experience: I started reading One of Us is Lying on 9/13/17 and finished it on 9/16/17 at 1am. This book is an excellent read! I couldn’t put it down! This book wakes me u
Nicole
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, mystery, contemporary, ya
"Everybody's got secrets," he says. "Right?"

This book was a pleasant surprise! It was refreshing and a change from the usual young-adult contemporary.

Bronwyn, Nate, Cooper, and Addy are suspects for murdering the school's gossiper, Simon. When the 5 of them were in detention, the last thing they expect is for Simon to drop dead... Unless one of them planned the whole thing.

The story is told from their POVs. The nerd, the bad boy, the jock, and the princess are the most common high school stereotypes
Fables&Wren
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

Five go to detention. Four come out alive.

Simon: Is basically gossip girl without the secret identity
Broneyn: Nerdy girl with a rich family
Nate: Has a reputation and a criminal record
Cooper: The baseball player with more scholarships to count
Addy: Has the perfect boyfriend and life ahead of her

Let me try that again:

Simon: Who is tired of never being accepted by the popular crowd
Broneyn: Who’s only goal is to get into Yale and will do anything to get there
Nate: Who always takes the hitthere
:crowd
:alive.
Bibi
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I was struck by how distinct the characters were, a feat nearly impossible to achieve with an ensemble cast but which was handled adroitly by McManus. Likewise, the plot, smart and agile, moving incrementally until that final twist (which I didn't even see coming 😪).

Simon, Brownyn, Cooper, Addy, Nate. All 5 went in for detention, only 4 made it out alive. Could one of them be the killer? Because one thing they all have in common (besides the murder) is that they're all liars!

So good.
Turning Pages by ...: One of Us Is Lying Readalong! 53 42 11 hours, 51 min ago
Who did you first suspect the killer to be? 112 1013 Nov 12, 2019 09:18AM
Week reading 1 2 Nov 03, 2019 09:02AM
Book Snails Book ...: * Second Chance Reads #2--2019--"One of Us is Lying" by Karen M. McManus 4 9 Nov 02, 2019 02:15PM
One of Us Is Lying 1 6 Oct 31, 2019 08:00AM

• Sadie
  • The Cheerleaders
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Five Feet Apart
  • They Both Die at the End
  • On the Come Up
  • We Were Liars
  • Turtles All the Way Down
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Hate U Give
  • The Sun Is Also a Star
  • What If It's Us
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3)
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • This Lie Will Kill You
Hi, and thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page! I don't visit this site often, so the best way to reach me is via my website at www.karenmcmanus.com, or on Twitter, where I'm @writerkmc.

------

Karen M. McManus is the author of the New York Times and international bestselling young adult novels One of Us Is Lying and Two Can Keep a Secret. Her work has been translated into 40 languages worldwide. Karen li

One of Us is Lying (2 books)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
“Things'll get worse before they get better.” 174 likes
“I stand and hold out my hand. She gives me a skeptical look, but takes it and lets me pull her to her feet. I put my other hand in the air. 'Bronwyn Rojas, I solemnly swear not to murder you today or at any point in the future. Deal?'
'You're ridiculous,' she mutters, going even redder.
'It concerns me you're avoiding a promise not to murder me.”
123 likes