The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > Cryogenic (without oversleeping) Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottcowan) | 11 comments Hi,

I'd be interested in reading a story about cryogenics gone wrong.

I've got lots of examples of colonists lost in space, but I beat you know some without the oversleeping trope.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott

message 2: by Qukatheg (new)

Qukatheg | 25 comments This may or may not be exactly what you're looking for, but I love Love Minus Eighty. It's a romance story set on a dystopian Earth and exploring a potential dark side of cryogenics.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8182 comments Definitely: Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Charles Sheffield. (Cryosleep is the point.)

Maybe: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis Taylor. (Cryosleep is just the hook.)

message 4: by Trike (last edited Jan 08, 2020 08:17AM) (new)

Trike | 8182 comments Movies:

Sleeper
Idiocracy
Passengers
Forever Young
Demolition Man

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8182 comments Took me a while to remember this one: Warrior by Donald McQuinn. I recall enjoying this book, but it takes awhile before the cryo part shows up.

message 6: by Eva (last edited Jan 09, 2020 05:34AM) (new)

Eva I second We Are Legion (We Are Bob)! Such a great series.

Aurora Rising also matches (if you like YA). Oh wait, there is some oversleeping due to an accident, so maybe not this one.

message 7: by Francis x (new)

Francis      x | 86 comments The book , Lockstep by Karl Schroeder.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6E6ATI/...

message 8: by Scott (last edited Jan 08, 2020 06:06PM) (new)

Scott (scottcowan) | 11 comments There seems to be a few tropes out there

- Human Popsicle
- CryoPrison
- Fish out of temporal water
- Sleeper starship

Usually these are the inciting incident or the plot device to bridge the years without having to write about it.

Tomorrow and Tomorrow seems outside of that with since it's essentially using cryogenics as a way to create immortality.

Great suggestions, my long backlog has gotten longer

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8182 comments Tomorrow and Tomorrow has cryogenics that go wrong. It’s an expansion of a short story in the collection Far Futures.

message 10: by Phil (new)

Phil | 1136 comments The Door Into Summer by Robert Heinlein

message 11: by Scott (new)

Scott (scottcowan) | 11 comments Another trope is the audience representative. I see that in games (The Outer Worlds) where someone is pulled from cryo without memories or at least a backstory.

- A Fire Upon the Deep

Another is the temporal shift workers

- Shift (Silo series)

message 12: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3496 comments Mod
I know of a series that involves cryogenics in a scary dangerous post apocalyptic world, but that is the major twist you find out later in the first novel of the trilogy. Early on you are led to believe you are in rural idyllic America, present day.

The book series, if you don't mind that I spoiled the major twist:
(view spoiler)

message 13: by William (last edited Jan 11, 2020 10:28AM) (new)

William | 401 comments Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds uses cryogenics with so, so many twists.

Cryogenics is a common feature of his books, but in this one (which can be read as a stand-alone) it plays a key role. Avoid spoilers!

Cryogenics also plays a very different role in Reaper by Janet Edwards facilitating full immersion in cyberspace. Of course things don't go to plan in this detective/mystery style plot, though with less of the normal cyberpunk noir and more of a kind of fun/heroic feel.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 233 comments I would suggest

Ubik by Philip K. Dick
Ubik by Philip K. Dick

Get the spray-on variety if possible.

message 15: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithvolson) | 13 comments "A Deepness In The Sky" is full of cryogenic space travel and a very good story. This is the prequel to "A Fire Upon the Deep" (a S&L book a few years ago). Not really a cryogenics-gone-wrong, but as everyday normal usage. It only goes wrong in the gap between those two novels.

message 16: by William (new)

William | 401 comments Keith wrote: ""A Deepness In The Sky" ..."

An excellent example - the plot and the setting are explorations of how cryogenics could facilitate and alter our perceptions/societies.

Brilliant book in general imho.