Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2015 Challenge Archive > Meet & Greet Challenge Round 7 (Dec/Jan): READING!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 623 (623 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments The Meet & Greet Challenge Round 7!
1 December 2014 - 31 January 2015

This is a challenge for the hordes of members who need help selecting their next book to read :) This is basically a group Pick-It-For-Me challenge WITHOUT the new book recommendations or categories. It is a two (2) month challenge and will be repeated every two months so long as there is significant interest.

This challenge is limited to members who are 18 years or older. This is the only age-restricted challenge in our group. There are many other challenges to choose from for those under 18.

Depending on the number of sign-ups for this challenge, groups will consist of 15-20 people.

INSTRUCTIONS: Step by step
1. Each participant must create a shelf and include on that shelf books that they would like to read in the coming two months. You will need to have at least 30-40 books on this shelf and you must post the link to that shelf when you sign up. If you participated in the last MnG, you may use the same shelf.

Participants also appreciate not having too many books on that shelf - they want to select something you really want to read or be pushed to read. Try to keep the shelf under 100 books.

2. Sign up by the sign-up close date in the Sign Up/Discussion thread, posting the link to your shelf.

3. Once sign-up closes, each person will recommend to every other person in their group THREE (3) books selected from each member's nominated shelf. Recommendations will be sent via PM (private message) - NOT in the thread. If you have a private profile, you will need to 'friend' the other members in your group so that they can see your shelf.

4. Members choose ONE (1) book from each set of recommendations, removing that selected book from their nominated shelf (to reduce multiple selections of the same book) and placing it in another shelf to track this challenge. I would suggest that you create a second shelf for these selections for ease of tracking.

5. When picking starts I will open the participants thread for each member to post their list of selected books.

6. Once the challenge opens on the first day of the next month, mark off each book on your challenge list as it is finished, noting the date completed. Update your completion rate at the top of your list throughout the challenge - eg "Completed: 3/15". If wished, post feedback on each book in the discussion thread :)

Do not repost your list in the Participants Thread - you will maintain your list in the original post.

To complete this challenge, you must read at least five (5) books from your chosen list. You may, of course, complete the full list.

DATES TO REMEMBER:
19 Nov 6PM US EST - SIGN-UPS close date! Please allow at least 3 hours for the groups to be posted. Sorry, no latecomers due to the massiveness of the picking!
27 Nov - PICKING due date! Picks for all group members must be completed.
1 Dec - OPENING date - Start reading!

There will be two threads for this challenge:
* the Sign Up/Discussion thread. All sign-ups, chat and questions occurs in this thread.
* the Participants' Lists thread. This is only for the final book list for each participant. The participants' thread will be locked until we are ready to start picking.

You cannot start picking for your team members until groups are posted.

RULES/TIPS:
* You must not recommend new books.
* You ONLY select from the pickee's nominated shelf.
* You must nominate 3 books for each set of picks.
* Book nominations and selections do not need to be in any order.
* You can add/subtract books at any time during the sign-up and picking process. (If a book has already been recommended during the picks, this recommendation stands valid.)
* If you recommend a book from a series, please ensure that it is the next book for the reader in that series.
* If a book from a series is recommended but it is not the next book for the reader in that series, please feel free to substitute the appropriate book for that recommendation.
* You may put re-reads on your nominated picking shelf if desired. (This means the book may already be 'read' and rated - but if it is on that shelf, these books are fair game for the pickers.)
* You must have completed the picking for your group members by the picking due date.
* You may use books planned for other challenges in this challenge and vice-versa unless otherwise specified in the alternate challenge(s).
* There is NO minimum page number requirement in this challenge.
* Books may be from any romance sub-genre, but we are a romance group so please keep your books on your nominated shelf to the romance or popular fiction genres.
* Remember - if your profile is private, you will need to 'friend' the other group members as they will not be able to access your nominated picking shelf otherwise.
* Feel free to 'friend' all the members of the group, as this will make picking much easier and faster :)
* A member can ask for repicks from another member if they have already selected all three of the nominated books. For this reason, it is important that members move books off their nominated picking shelf as soon as they have made their selection.
* When providing feedback in the Discussion Thread, please ensure that key plot points are hidden behind the spoiler 'tag' - <'spoiler>blah plot point blah<'/spoiler> (ignoring the apostrophes which have been inserted to show the formula.

Our members read a variety of romance sub-genres. You do not need to have read the book that you recommend, nor do you have to have knowledge of the sub-genre that may predominate any of the shelves. How you select books from the nominated shelves is entirely up to you.

How to create a new bookshelf:

* Go to My Books
* Click on edit next to 'bookshelves' on top left
* Type in the name of your shelf and click 'Add'
* Customize the shelf as desired

A kindly reminder:
YOU ARE NOT SIGNED UP UNTIL YOU POST A LINK TO YOUR SHELF.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:34PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments BONUS PICKS

Some members like to receive more picks than from just their group. If you would like to participate in bonus picks, please note this in your sign up post. If you sign up for bonus picks, you MUST pick for every other person in the bonus picks group. This includes members who were in your original group - they will receive two sets of picks from you. Please do not recommend the same books to a member that is in both your original group and the bonus pick group - a clean set of picks is required.

Please be aware that the bonus pick group could be comprised of only a few people OR be at least the size of another full group. Last round, 40% of the participants signed up for bonus picks.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 19, 2014 02:57PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Sign ups: by 19 Nov 6pm US EST

Jane(PS) - picking shelf
Dee - rrrc meet n greet
Sassafrass - meet n greet
Katie - meet and greet to read
Laurla - rrrc mng to pick
Roger - mgpick
Sallie - rrr 2015 meet greet
Zara - rrrc mngc decjan 2014-15
Poongothai - meet and greet
MKat - meet n greet options
Aarati - rrc meet and greet
Skandia - rrrc m g
siriusedward - meet and greet
~Melissa~ - meet n greet
Ezinwanyi - meet greet
Debbie - meet greet
Sadie - meet n greet pick shelf
Larissa - on deck tbr
Logan - meet greet to pick
Jojo - meet and greet
Catherine - 2014 rrrc meet n greet dec
Tara Jo - pifm meet n greet
Diane - mng picking
Lily - 2014 rrrc mg7 challenge picks
Donna - 2014meetandgreet
Nadine - m g pick shelf
Che-che - meet n greet
Sunshine - next
Toka - meet n greet nominated
Karla - help me decide
beppy - meet n greet
Courtney - rrrc picking shelf
Amie - meet gree picking shelf
Breann - mg pick me
Nichole - pifm shelf
Kathy - pick it for me
Grace - meet and greet
Raine - rrrc meet n greet
Becky Bookworm - beckys meet n greet picks
Mary - meet and greet
AndaM - the meet greet
KarenH - meet and greet
Ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) - mgnpick
Hadley - pick for me mng
Melissa - pickitforme
Doruntina - meet n greet challenge
Gea - 2014 meet greet
Shelby - meet and greet to read and gang bang q4 2014
Joyce - meet greet rrrc challenge
Jennifer - picking list
Cathy - meet and greet
Kristy - rrrc
julia - meet and greet
Penney - meet and greet options
LIZZ - mag picking shelf
Becky (Fibrobabe) - dec mng
~Leslie~ - meet and greet
Ana - meet and greet
Dana - meet n greet
Gigi - pick4me
Tina "coffee & books" - pick me meet n greet
Runell - needtoreadnow
Jasmin - meet n greet
Celeste - pick it for me
Kai - picking shelf
R~wka - meet and greet to pick
Christina - meet greet options
Cristal - meet greet challenge
Emelie - meet and greet challenge
Macwolf01 (Elise) - meet greet
Shannan - m g shelf
Ramneek - pick for me

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 20, 2014 12:17PM) (new)

message 5: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 20, 2014 12:15PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Here we go!

Group 1
Skandia - rrrc m g
Tina "coffee & books" - pick me meet n greet
Cristal - meet greet challenge
Dee - rrrc meet n greet
Karla - help me decide
Joyce - meet greet rrrc challenge
Larissa - on deck tbr
Donna - 2014meetandgreet
Amie - meet gree picking shelf
R~wka - meet and greet to pick
Debbie - meet greet
Raine - rrrc meet n greet
Kai - picking shelf
Runell - needtoreadnow
Sadie - rrrc meet n greet picking shelf
Macwolf01 (Elise) - meet greet
Zara - rrrc mngc decjan 2014-15
Ezinwanyi - meet greet

Group 2
Cathy - meet and greet
Ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) - mgnpick
MKat - meet n greet options
Mary - meet and greet
~Leslie~ - meet and greet
Christina - meet greet options
Ramneek - pick for me
Ana - meet and greet
Poongothai - meet and greet
Gigi - pick4me
Sassafrass - meet n greet
Katie - meet and greet to read
Shelby - meet and greet to read and gang bang q4 2014
Hadley - pick for me mng
Penney - meet and greet options
Jane(PS) - picking shelf
Grace - meet and greet
julia - meet and greet

Group 3
siriusedward - meet and greet
AndaM - the meet greet
Gea - 2014 meet greet
Breann - mg pick me
Becky Bookworm - beckys meet n greet picks
Sallie - rrr 2015 meet greet
~Melissa~ - meet n greet
Roger - mgpick
Logan - meet greet to pick
Courtney - rrrc picking shelf
KarenH - meet and greet
Jennifer - picking list
LIZZ - mag picking shelf
Emelie - meet and greet challenge
Aarati - rrc meet and greet
Che-che - meet n greet
Dana - meet n greet
Catherine - 2014 rrrc meet n greet dec

Group 4
Laurla - rrrc mng to pick
beppy - meet n greet
Shannan - m g shelf
Lily - 2014 rrrc mg7 challenge picks
Kathy - pick it for me
Kristy - rrrc
Tara Jo - pifm meet n greet
Diane - mng picking
Sunshine - next
Nadine - m g pick shelf
Nichole - pifm shelf
Melissa - pickitforme
Jojo - meet and greet
Toka - meet n greet nominated
Becky (Fibrobabe) - dec mng
Doruntina - meet n greet challenge
Celeste - pick it for me
Jasmin - meet n greet

The members who signed up for bonus picks, please use the post above :)

message 6: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Res

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments me me me! shelf to follow as soon as I tweak it

message 8: by Sassafrass (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:48PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3799 comments Sorry Jane....

I'm in. Please use my meet-n-greet shelf

I'm in for bonus picks too!

message 9: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:44PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments I'm in - picking shelf

And I'm in for bonus picks

message 10: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Sorry Jane....

I'm in. Please use my meet-n-greet shelf"

LOL - no need to be sorry :) I assume you are talking about posting before I had finished. Didn't matter at all :)

message 11: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3799 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Sorry Jane....

LOL - no need to be sorry :) I assume you are talking about posting before I had finished. Didn't matter at all :)"

Yeah, I deleted my post. A little too excited I guess. LOL

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments sassy - excited? NEVER...

message 13: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Sassafrass wrote: "Sorry Jane....

LOL - no need to be sorry :) I assume you are talking about posting before I had finished. Didn't ..."

message 14: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2083 comments I'm in! Bonus picks for me, too, please. :)

Meet and Greet

message 15: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3505 comments Me me me and my shelf: rrrc-mng-to-pick

I'm in for bonus picks too :-D

message 16: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3799 comments Dee wrote: "sassy - excited? NEVER..."

Har, har, Dee. I seem to notice you were too far behind me in posting. ;)

message 17: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:17PM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1385 comments I'm in I will be doing bonus picks also

mgpick

message 18: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Nov 06, 2014 03:27PM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1091 comments Im in...https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... is a work in progress as I am adding more books to my list....

message 19: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) wrote: "Im in...https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... is a work in progress as I am adding more books to my list...."

Hi Sallie - can you please make sure I have listed your correct shelf? Thanks :)

message 20: by ZaraS (last edited Nov 06, 2014 07:39PM) (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer | 932 comments I'm in again please.

My shelf is: MnG Dec-Jan 2014/15

message 21: by Poongothai (new)

Poongothai (poongsa) | 298 comments I'm in
My shelf : Meet and Greet

message 22: by siriusedward (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) i'm in too...
will post the link once its done...

message 23: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 21365 comments OMG - is it time for this already?! I am soooo in!

Please use my meet-n-greet-options shelf.

Now I just need to get that shelf updated!!

message 25: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 962 comments I'm in! My shelf rrc-m-g

message 27: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1962 comments I'm in - hopefully Dec/Jan will be better than Oct/Nov - I've only gotten to 3 :(

My shelf is still under construction - will be good to go by time of picking

meet-n-greet

message 28: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Nov 07, 2014 09:28AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments I'm in. meet-greet

Thanks ~Melissa~

message 29: by Debbie (Doc) (new)

Debbie (Doc) | 345 comments I'm in. I'll need to update my shelf.

Meet & Greet

message 30: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1962 comments Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker wrote: "I'm in.
I'll get to shelf in a min.

Thanks ~Melissa~"

:)

message 31: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (rissareadsromance) | 317 comments I'm in!

Please use this shelf: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 32: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments I'm in!

My shelf: meet-greet-to-pick

message 33: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 1010 comments I'm in please

2014-meet-and-greet

message 34: by Catherine (last edited Nov 07, 2014 02:54PM) (new)

Catherine | 624 comments I've never done this one before...sounds like fun..I'll give it a whirl :) I'm a little confused on the picking..but I'm still in :)

shelf: 2014 rrrc meet-n-greet dec

message 35: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Catherine wrote: "I've never done this one before...sounds like fun..I'll give it a whirl :) I'm a little confused on the picking..but I'm still in :)"

Firstly you need to set up a shelf Catherine. Something like 'picking shelf'. Then you need to put on that shelf the books that you are thinking of reading over the next couple of months. You need to have at least 30-40 books on there.

Once you have created the shelf, you need to post the link here so that I can put you on the participants list. Until I have that link I can't put you on the list :)

Check out what the others have done above...

Once the groups are allocated:
Use the links that I post in your group for each person's shelf, and pick out three books for them. They then select just one book from your picks to read. Others will do the same for you.

When you receive picks from the others in your group, you select one book from each set of picks, and move it off your picking shelf and onto another shelf so that it doesn't keep being selected.

Hope this helps!

message 36: by Tara Bieck (new)

Tara Bieck I'm in....Here's my shelf...I'll work on moving books to it in the next week.

pifm-meet-n-greet

message 37: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1446 comments Yay, another round. I love this challenge. My bookshelf is mng-picking

message 38: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Catherine wrote: "I've never done this one before...sounds like fun..I'll give it a whirl :) I'm a little confused on the picking..but I'm still in :)

shelf: 2014 rrrc meet-n-greet dec"

Great - I have your shelf. Now you just need to add books that you'd like to read over the next few months onto it :)

message 39: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 624 comments so...if books are picked..I have to read them? or do I still choose what I'm reading out of those picked?

message 40: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilygcs) | 200 comments I'm in, please pick from my 2014 RRRC MG7 Challenge Picks shelf.

message 41: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Nov 07, 2014 03:35PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Catherine wrote: "so...if books are picked..I have to read them? or do I still choose what I'm reading out of those picked?"

The other members in your group will pick three books from YOUR picking shelf. You select one of those three to read. But you do this for each member in your group - roughly 15-20 members.

Only put the books that you want to read on your shelf, and you'll end up with a great list of books to read for this challenge :)

message 42: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 624 comments oh..ok...so I don't have to read all of them! whew!!! :)

message 43: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Catherine wrote: "oh..ok...so I don't have to read all of them! whew!!! :)"

LOL - no. But I suspect some ppl come pretty close ;) And remember, despite moving your selected books off the shelf once you have picked which to read, you will inevitably end up with some double-ups... If the books is on you picking shelf when they are making their picks, it is fair game!

message 44: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 20355 comments Catherine wrote: "oh..ok...so I don't have to read all of them! whew!!! :)"

In actual fact, you only need to have read 5 books from your final selected list to have completed the challenge :)

message 46: by Nadine Bookaholic (last edited Nov 07, 2014 04:49PM) (new)

Nadine Bookaholic (nadinesobsessedwithbooks) | 1053 comments I'm in. I'll come back to post the link to my shelf

Please use this shelf to pick from:
meet greet pick shelf

message 47: by Che-che (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:04PM) (new)

Che-che | 1 comments I'm in
My shelf will be called Meet-N-Greet!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 48: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Yep....

Count me in plus bonus picks..l

Next

message 49: by Karla (last edited Nov 07, 2014 05:52PM) (new)

Karla | 286 comments I'm in! I love this challenge!. I'm in for the bonus picks too.

Help Me Decide

UnusualChild{beppy} | 1087 comments i'm in. and i guess i'll do bonus picks, too.

my shelf: meet n greet

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13