Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive (Tournaments) > Elite Eight - Pair 3 - F2L/E2L (SS - P2) vs Shapeshifter (Other) (SS - P4)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 77 (77 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments winner Pair 2 - Friends2Lovers/Enemies2Lovers vs. Winner Pair 4 - Shapeshifter - Other

message 2: by Dee (last edited Oct 27, 2014 04:26PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Members
Roger
Cathy
Sassafrass
Tabs
Ezi
Danielle
Grace
Elizabeth
Bethany
Sofia
Joyce
Brooklyn
Chanelle
Fran
Lisa
Logan
Lynne
Medavis66
Megan L
Mimi
Nan
Susan A
Ty

message 3: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Nov 05, 2014 12:05PM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1228 comments Reserving My spot
F2L/E2L: Black Hurricane by Erica Pike
Shelved Enemies to Lovers
read 11/3
theme 5/5
enjoyment 4/5
total 9/10

Shapeshifter (other): Tiger Boys
tiger shifters
read 11/5
theme 4/5
enjoyment 4/5
overall 8/10

Winner F2L/E2L

message 4: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Nov 14, 2014 09:02AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) Elite Eight - Friends2Lovers/Enemies2Lovers vs. Shapeshifter - Other

F2L/E2L: Rock Chick | Kirsten Ashley | 08/11/14 | 4 stars

Shapeshifter - Other: Rack & Ruin | 14/11/14 | 4 stars

winner: shapeshifter (others)

Rock Chick (Rock Chick, #1) by Kristen Ashley Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3) by Charlie Cochet

message 5: by Lynne (last edited Nov 19, 2014 06:49AM) (new)

Lynne (lovetoreadgal) | 1159 comments World Cup of Reading – Elite Eight Round
Pair 3 – F2L/E2L vs. Shapeshifters

October 27th – November 17, 2014

E2L: Asking for Trouble by Tess Bailey – 11/14
Theme: 5
Enjoyment: 4 (Just happened a little too fast for me)
Total: 9

vs.

Shapeshifters (Dragons): Kiss of Fire by Deborah Cooke – 11/16
Enjoyment: 3
Total: 8

WINNER: Enemies to Lovers

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1311 comments Question- Shapeshifter-other just excludes bears and wolves right? A lion shapeshifter would be good?

message 7: by Brooklyn (last edited Nov 05, 2014 05:40AM) (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) My spot.

F2L/E2L - Gives Light - 315 pgs
Theme: 5/5
Enjoyment: 4/5

There are 6 books in this series and I read book 1. The story was nowhere near finished but it was a fabulous start. The way Rafael hears Skylar, who is mute, is uncanny. I loved the way the Native American heritage was integrated into this story. It's as much a part of the story as the budding relationship between the two MCs.

Shapeshifter (other) - Control (hawk) - 220 pgs
Enjoyment: 5/5

I so loved this book. I just can't seem to get enough of mated shifters. No matter their animal form, I just love the magnetism between them. They can't help but be drawn to each other even if they don't necessarily recognize that person as their "mate". If only humans IRL had fated mates like this.

Winner: Shapeshifter (other)

message 8: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) The book I'd like to read has a hawk shifter and a bear shifter. Would this count for shifter (other) even if it has the bear?

message 9: by Sassafrass (last edited Nov 08, 2014 03:49PM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3580 comments F2L/E2L
Tempting the Best Man (Gamble Brothers, #1) by J. Lynn Tempting the Best Man (shelved Friends to Lovers 56 Times)
completed 11/1/14

This a good, quick, hot friends to lovers story. I wish it had been a little longer but I really enjoyed what we were given. Typical bad boy not seeing what he had until it was too late. I really did feel like he should have had to fight a little harder to get Madison back, but that's just my opinion.

I'm looking forward to get a little more of the Gamble brothers. The first two books of the series were on sale at Audible, so I snatched them. On to book two very shortly.

Enjoyment: 4/5
Total: 9/10

vs

Shapeshifters (others):
Feather Adored (Raptors Revealed, #3) by Lorie O'Clare Feather Adored (owl shifters)
completed 11/8/14

I've been really getting a kick out of these owl shifters. The author does a great job at getting the demeanor and mannerisms of owls to come out in their human behavior. it's quite "interesting" as they are wont to say!

This story was pretty dark and I really felt for Andrea and Anna. I couldn't believe who it was that was after them. He was a true nut job.

Anyway, I liked the story of Beel and Andrea and I look forward to seeing how the story continues.

Enjoyment: 4.25/5
Total: 9.25/10

WINNER: SHAPESHIFTERS (OTHER)

(I can't believe it!)

message 10: by Medavis66 (last edited Nov 12, 2014 11:24PM) (new)

Medavis66 | 238 comments Friends2Lovers
Creed (Unfinished Hero, #2) by Kristen Ashley
360 pages
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/users...
Loved it! This book was so intense for me, it read like a series on its own. I was very absorbed by this storyline. I can't imagine all that Creed and Sylvie went through. This was well-developed and carried to a fitting end. I'm off to read Deacon next, as I read these out of order and started with Raid, book 3. These can easily be read as standalones, but they do have overlapping characters that enhance the story, in case you are a series addict (like me!).
Enjoyment 5/5
Theme 5/5

Shifter
Wild Cat (Shifters Unbound, #3) by Jennifer Ashley
296 pages
https://www.goodreads.com/genres/feli...
I enjoyed this book. It is the first I have read from this author. I had not previously read a feline-shifter book, so this was a great new experience. I liked the drama and setup in this story...it was much more than just hot kitty romance, thank goodness. I enjoyed many of thecharacters and have others in this series now on my tbr list.
Enjoyment 4/5
Theme 5/5

Winner F2L/E2L

message 11: by Susan A (last edited Oct 30, 2014 06:35AM) (new)

Susan A | 1470 comments F2L/E2L

Better Than Friends shelved F2L

Complete 10/28
Theme: ★★★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★★

The MCs in this story, Curt & Jack, were strangers at the start of the story, who became friends, and then became lovers --a very good fit with the Friends to lovers theme. Their friendship was a theme throughout the book. When they hit snags with their romance, it was their friendship that pulled them together. This is a part of series, and while this can be read as a stand-alone, reading books 1 & 2 (or 2 then 1) is my recommendation. I have enjoyed all the books in this series.

Shapeshifter - other

A Gay Romance Unusual Shape Shifters List

Complete 10/30
Theme: ★★★
Enjoyment: ★★★

This book had 3 rather unusual shapeshifters - -major spoiler, so don't look if you intend to read this (view spoiler). Only 3 stars for theme because the shifter part of the book didn't happen until page 174/188.
The book was a farce from start to finish, poking fun at every cheesey aspect of gay romance you've ever read. And while it was very funny at times, it wasn't a good match for me.

WINNER: F2L/E2L

message 12: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments ha!!! I was crossing my fingers for this one!

F2L/E2L - Kinked or Archangel's Shadows

Shapeshifter - Kinked or Shifting Shadows: Stories from the World of Mercy Thompson

message 13: by Tabs (last edited Nov 09, 2014 07:00PM) (new)

Tabs Archangel's Shadows (Guild Hunter, #7) by Nalini Singh vs King's Throne (String of Fate, #2) by Bianca D'Arc

F2L/E2L: Archangel's Shadows by Nalini Singh
Theme: 4/5
Enjoyment: 3/5

Shapeshifter (other): King's Throne by Bianca D'Arc
Theme: 4/5
Enjoyment: 2/5

Winner: F2L/E2L

message 14: by Lisa (last edited Nov 09, 2014 07:51AM) (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments F2L/E2L. Secret Fire
How it fits: MM Enemies to Lovers Shelf

Theme 5/5
Enjoyment 4/5
Total 9/10

Shapeshifter Hell & High Water
How it fits: Best Gay Shifters
Theme. 5/5
Enjoyment 5/5
Total 10/10.

Winner. Shapeshifter

message 15: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Nov 05, 2014 03:34PM) (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Pair 3 - Friends2Lovers/Enemies2Lovers vs. Shapeshifter (other)

Friends2Lovers/Enemies2Lovers: The Boyfriend Mandate by River Jaymes
Genre:★★★★★ College friends/roomates, then lovers etc
Enjoyment:★★★★★. I can't even explain how much I loved this book. Definitely one of the best I've read all year.
Total★★★★★. I have to say if you want a book that will make you cry, smile, cringe etc, this is it!

Shapeshifter (other): Knight Avenged by Coreene Callahan
Genre: ★★★★--this was dragon shifters.
Enjoyment: ★★★, this one was long and I am not sure why I didnt connect with this one.
Total: ★★★½

Winner: Friends2Lovers/Enemies2Lovers:

The Boyfriend Mandate (The Boyfriend Chronicles, #2) by River Jaymes Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2) by Coreene Callahan

message 16: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) Can we read the same book as someone else? For the same theme?

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments I believe so.

message 18: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "I believe so."

Thanks.

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments yes you can Brooklyn

message 20: by Megan L (last edited Oct 28, 2014 07:04AM) (new)

Megan L Harnett | 806 comments Reserving my spot!

Friends 2 Lovers: Own the Wind/Kristen Ashley

Theme:
Enjoyment:
Total:

VS

Shifters - Other: About a Dragon/G.A. Aiken

Theme:
Enjoyment:
Total:

WINNER:

message 21: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) Dee wrote: "yes you can Brooklyn"

Great! Thanks. I just might end up doing that.

message 22: by Sofia (last edited Oct 31, 2014 02:52PM) (new)

Sofia Lazaridou (sofiagreycullensalvatore) | 59 comments F2L/E2L: Under the Orange Moon 3 stars

Shapeshifter (Other): Waterfell 2 stars

Winner: F2L/E2L

message 23: by Logan (last edited Nov 13, 2014 12:23PM) (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Elite Eight
Pair 3

Friends 2 Lovers/Enemies 2 Lovers:
Nor Iron Bars a Cage - finished 11/12
Shelved as friends-to-lovers
Enjoyment: 3/5
Total: 8/10

Shapeshifter (Other): Magic Breaks
MC is lion shifter

message 24: by Lisa (new)

message 25: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Loved Keeping Promise Rock."

Everyone raves about it, and it was one of Roger's picks for me in November's PIFM challenge, so I figure now's my chance to finally read it!

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1228 comments Logan wrote: "Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Loved Keeping Promise Rock."

Everyone raves about it, and it was one of Roger's picks for me in November's P..."

Oh yes it is great one of My book that if I could rate it higher I probably would have gone with 9 out of ten stars if not a full ten stars read.

message 27: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) Logan wrote: "Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Loved Keeping Promise Rock."

Everyone raves about it, and it was one of Roger's picks for me in November's P..."

I agree, a great book.

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (mooselover) | 2121 comments I've read up to and including book 3. I need to finish off the series.

message 29: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "I've read up to and including book 3. I need to finish off the series."

I thought the last book was a great ending to the series.

message 30: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3580 comments Logan wrote: "Lisa - President of Challengeaholics Anon and Challenge Enabler wrote: "Loved Keeping Promise Rock."

LOVED that book! Great book, Roger!

message 31: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments I was only lukewarm abt KPR - I think I rated it high and now I'm like remember barely anything

message 32: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Well this was quite the popular choice! If it's not too inappropriate to ask here, do any of you have a copy you could lend me for Kindle?

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Logan wrote: "Well this was quite the popular choice! If it's not too inappropriate to ask here, do any of you have a copy you could lend me for Kindle?"

I just checked my kindle (because I never know what I have on it, lol, way too much buying...) and I don't have it. Sorry Logan!

message 34: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments Elite Eight
Pair 3

As of now.....

Friends 2 Lovers/Enemies 2 Lovers:The Rosie Project
Shelved as friends-to-lovers

Shapeshifter (Other): Croc And The Fox

message 35: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Fran wrote: "Logan wrote: "Well this was quite the popular choice! If it's not too inappropriate to ask here, do any of you have a copy you could lend me for Kindle?"

I just checked my kindle (because I never ..."

No problem. It was sweet of you to check!

message 36: by Roger - president of NBR United - (last edited Oct 28, 2014 08:26PM) (new)

Roger - president of NBR United - (roger_presidentofnbrunited) | 1228 comments Logan wrote: "Well this was quite the popular choice! If it's not too inappropriate to ask here, do any of you have a copy you could lend me for Kindle?"

I have to check as I can't remember if I lent it.

I just checked my copy has already been lent.

message 37: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Logan wrote: "Well this was quite the popular choice! If it's not too inappropriate to ask here, do any of you have a copy you could lend me for Kindle?"

I didn't like Keeping promise rock. It was darn depressing and made me eat a lot of ice cream...well, I kind of wanted the ice cream, but I had to keep eating it to feel good. Amy Lane is just a queen at bring the emotional stuff!

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments as much as I love Amy - she is just too angsty for me - there is angst that is good and then angst just for angst sake...and sometimes I think she goes that route

message 39: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Dee wrote: "as much as I love Amy - she is just too angsty for me - there is angst that is good and then angst just for angst sake...and sometimes I think she goes that route"

That's one reason I've hesitated with this book. I'm not usually into angsty romances in general. But I'll give it a shot.

message 40: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 877 comments Shout out to Dawn for pointing out that KPR is available on Scribd subscription service. I signed up for a free trial and can get it that way. Thanks Dawn!

message 41: by Ty (new)

Ty  | 1943 comments Dee wrote: "as much as I love Amy - she is just too angsty for me - there is angst that is good and then angst just for angst sake...and sometimes I think she goes that route"

that's how I feel about Colleen Hoover....

message 42: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) I'm reading an Amy Lane right now and it's very angsty. And the narrator is just making it worse!

message 43: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi Chinyere | 2657 comments Brooklyn wrote: "I'm reading an Amy Lane right now and it's very angsty. And the narrator is just making it worse!"

Amy Lane will always be angsty--that's why I am a little leery of reading her new book Behind the Curtain by Amy Lane . i have to be in the mindset to endure the angst

message 44: by Brooklyn (new)

Brooklyn (raynebair) That's the book I was talking about - Behind the Curtain

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments Ty wrote: "Dee wrote: "as much as I love Amy - she is just too angsty for me - there is angst that is good and then angst just for angst sake...and sometimes I think she goes that route"

that's how I feel ab..."

i find Colleen Hoover angsty, but not as much as Amy Lane - when I read AL, its like, ok, what terrible awful tragedy is she going to have befall them this time

message 46: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 59 comments F2L/E/L - Keeper of the Dreams by Penelope Williamson
Theme5/5
Enjoyment 5/5

Shapeshifter(other) - Lion's Heat by Lora Leigh
Theme 5/5
Enjoyment 3/5

Winner F2l/E2L

message 47: by Dawn (last edited Nov 08, 2014 06:57AM) (new)

Dawn Friends 2 Lovers: rock by Anyta Sunday rock

Enjoyment: 5
Total: 10

VS

Shifters - Other: Rack & Ruin (THIRDS, #3) by Charlie Cochet Rack & Ruin

Enjoyment: 4
Total: 9

WINNER: F2L/E2L

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments there is a freebie on amazon of a shark shifter right now - Touching Paradise - I have not read it to say good/bad/otherwise

message 49: by Medavis66 (new)

Medavis66 | 238 comments Does it qualify at 137 pages?

message 50: by Dawn (last edited Oct 31, 2014 01:20PM) (new)

Dawn Dee wrote: "there is a freebie on amazon of a shark shifter right now - Touching Paradise - I have not read it to say good/bad/otherwise"

It's not long enough for this though right? 137 pages, 41,000 words

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.