Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Archives (maybe Revisit) > Series Read: Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 436 (436 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 25, 2014 09:47AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
Thread for the series buddy read of the Walt Longmire series by Craig Johnson

Books
The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1) by Craig Johnson Death Without Company (Walt Longmire, #2) by Craig Johnson Kindness Goes Unpunished (Walt Longmire, #3) by Craig Johnson Another Man's Moccasins (Walt Longmire, #4) by Craig Johnson The Dark Horse (Walt Longmire, #5) by Craig Johnson Junkyard Dogs (Walt Longmire, #6) by Craig Johnson Hell Is Empty (Walt Longmire, #7) by Craig Johnson Divorce Horse (Walt Longmire #7.1) by Craig Johnson As The Crow Flies (Walt Longmire, #8) by Craig Johnson Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1) by Craig Johnson Messenger A Walt Longmire Story (Walt Longmire #8.2) by Craig Johnson A Serpent's Tooth (Walt Longmire, #9) by Craig Johnson Spirit of Steamboat (Walt Longmire, #9.1) by Craig Johnson Any Other Name (Walt Longmire, #10) by Craig Johnson Dry Bones A Walt Longmire Mystery (Walt Longmire, #11) by Craig Johnson

Rules & How to
1. Identify the book you are commenting
2. Comments ALWAYS under spoiler tags

Example of a comment
Little stars are not mandatory, I just like them :o)

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
Book:Fool Moon - chapters 1 to 4
☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
(view spoiler)

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Yay! Can't wait to start! Thanks, RB and Teresa (ilovebakedgoods) for setting this up!

message 5: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Oct 25, 2014 03:00PM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4284 comments I think I'll join for first book. If I continue with the others will depend on how I liked book 1.

When is start date?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments ✼Danielle wrote: "When is start date?"

Hi Danielle! I believe Nov. 8th so it will count for the Tower Team challenge, although I know one of our teammates plans to start reading a day or two before so she's ready. I've already read the first book, but I'll be here for the duration. I loved it! The characters were awesome!

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4284 comments Thanks Becky, I'll make a note of the date. Good to know you loved it.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura I'm in! This is my first ever "buddy read" - I take it we comment here to join, and then discuss the book as we read it?

message 9: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Oct 25, 2014 03:57PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments *Waves to Laura*

Glad you're joining us! One of us may come up with some discussion questions along the way to earn points for the TT challenge keep it interesting, but for the most part, you've got the right of it. We just need to use spoiler tags where appropriate.

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Woo! I've been meaning to read this for awhile so I'm glad Becky mentioned it in the buddy reads request thread.

message 11: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments I'll do this one. At least the first book anyway since I already have it on audio.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments The 1st book is sooooo good, Mary! I'm eager to see what everyone else thinks, too. Glad you're joining us! If memory serves, the second book is one of the best in the series and won an award, I just can't remember what award it was. LOL!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments I will be reading the first one once we get to the start of TT. I checked it out of the library--hoping I like it and they also have book 2.

message 14: by Mary C (last edited Oct 30, 2014 09:25AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments I got the 1st one years ago during an audible sale where they had all these 1st in a series books for like $4.99 or something. I haven't checked my library for the others yet. Was putting off until I finished some other series.

The TV show is on my list of ones to watch. I tend to not watch shows like that until they're done and then I have a marathon.

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I do the same thing. I didn't watch Breaking Bad until it was over, then marathoned with my daughter.

It was hard not to watch Longmire, though, because Starbuck is in it.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Thank goodness for Netflix! They saved me from watching hours upon hours of commercials. I binged on Breaking Bad, too.

I've watched all of the Longmire series, but it didn't affect the book for me at all. The TV show is a very loose adaptation. I tend to prefer books anyway...unless I'm just drooling over a hunk. : )

message 17: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments So when is this one starting?

message 18: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4284 comments Nov 8

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) The 8th. But join in when you are able to get to it. It's an informal series read, which means everyone can pipe in with whichever book they are currently reading.

message 20: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments And what is the plan? To read 1 a month or more while the tower teams is going on?

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I don't know if we have formulated a plan as a whole. I was just going to try to read one as time and mood permits. That could mean (for me) one a week, one every two weeks or one a month. Not sure what anyone else plans to do.

If we don't finish the series before TT3 is over, I will still read/finish the series and discuss it here.

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 774 comments Im in for this one as well...

message 23: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) With it being a series read, do we get credit for BR for each book, or just once for the series? Just curious. I'm enjoying the book enough to continue on to the next one.

message 24: by ❀Tea❀ (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments Each book. ☺

message 25: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 03, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Thanks, Tea! Sounds great.

message 26: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments Since we get the bonus points for each book, I will probably try to get at least 1 a month in if not 2.

message 27: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments I plan to start the first book either tonight or tomorrow so I can finish it up on the 8th or 9th and kick off the discussion. Can't wait!

message 28: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments I'll probably start the 1st one tomorrow. I am ready to start a new audio book.

message 29: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I wish I had thought to listen to this one! I'm about halfway done, but I didn't get to read any of it today.

message 30: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Is it OK if I saddle up my horse and join you for this here roundup?

I loved the tv show and was so disappointed when it was canceled and have been wanting to read the books for a while now. As a matter of fact I just got the Christmas short stories yesterday from the library to get me in the spirit of the holidays.

Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1) by Craig Johnson

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Of course it's okay, Sheila!

message 32: by Mary C (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:01AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments I started it last night.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Sheila (last edited Nov 05, 2014 04:17PM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've read about 1/4 of The Cold Dish. I'm listening to the audiobook which unfortunately doesn't tell you what chapter you are listening to.

(view spoiler)

message 34: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) LOL, Mary! I wasn't expecting that.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Sheila wrote: "I love the descriptive language. I can get a real feel for the location."

That was a nice perk to this book. The author was very consistent and kept it fresh. It was like being a silent observer with Walt. I'm chomping at the bit to start book 2, but I'll behave and wait until everyone else is ready.

message 36: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Sheila wrote: "I love the descriptive language. I can get a real feel for the location."

That was a nice perk to this book. The author was very consistent and kept it fresh. It was like being a..."

Reminds me a lot of the descriptive language in the Joe Pickett series by C.J. Box and the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr.

message 37: by Cynthia (last edited Nov 05, 2014 07:20PM) (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) My daughter has finally started reading again after a long hiatus, and she's started with the Joe Pickett series and loves it. I'll recommend this series next if they're similar in tone.

Edited to change 'weird' to 'series'. I'm still getting used to my new phone.

message 38: by Mary C (last edited Nov 05, 2014 06:24PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments Book 1: The Cold Dish

I am liking it a lot so far. I love the relationship between Henry and Walt. I'm up to about page 60.

I own the audiobook but since I am doing this, I checked out the ebook from the library. So I can search it and book mark things. I'm not normally a bookmarker/highlighter on ebooks. (view spoiler)

Definitely not a victim I feel sorry for in this one.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments The Joe Pickett books look good. I'm going to have to check those out. : )

Mary - The relationship between Henry and Walt is one of my favorite parts of the book. It's very realistic, but entertaining at the same time.

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Book 1: The Cold Dish

I am liking it a lot so far. I love the relationship between Henry and Walt. I'm up to about page 60.

I own the audiobook but since I am doing this, I checked out the ebo..."

I just started this tonight, and I have to say I love the relationship between Walt and Henry also.
(view spoiler)

message 41: by Sheila (last edited Nov 06, 2014 02:06AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've jumped ahead in the series to the Christmas one.

Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1) by Craig Johnson Christmas in Absaroka County by Craig Johnson

This is 4 short stories relating somewhat to Christmas.

I just read Slick Tongued Devil

(view spoiler)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) Picked this up yesterday but haven't started yet.

message 43: by Michelle (last edited Nov 06, 2014 10:12PM) (new)

Michelle (govmarley) | 3040 comments So far, I think I might have a new favorite series to add to my shelves.
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments Yes I am liking the writing style as well. I think that I will stick to print/ebook for the rest though. Johnson seems to have this habit of going into a flash back or just cutting from one "scene" to another which gets a little confusing with the audio. (view spoiler)

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments I will probably finish the first book early tomorrow. I could really finish it today but then it won't count for my team so tonight I'll have to switch to something else.

message 46: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) good point on the audiobook and switching scenes thing Mary. I find that as well although I am big fan of audiobooks in general.

message 47: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4958 comments The narrator is excellent. But I keep finding myself doing a double take because Walt's mind leaves the present time to contemplate something. There's no words to say that though, no "Walt stared off into the sunset and pondered the first time he got shot" or whatever. Can be hard to follow in audio with no italicized or bolded letters to indicate we've left the current plane of existence.

message 48: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 4284 comments Hoping to start soon.

message 49: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I finished Christmas in Absaroka County (Walt Longmire #8.1) by Craig Johnson Christmas in Absaroka County by Craig Johnson
(view spoiler)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) *avoids the spoiler!* hehe

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9