Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Palma, Felix - The Map of Time - Informal Buddy Read; Start date November 15, 2014

Comments Showing 1-50 of 142 (142 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 25, 2014 07:44AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30836 comments Mod
This topic is open for discussion of The Map of Time by Félix J. Palma

Book Synopsis:
Set in Victorian London with characters real and imagined, The Map of Time boasts a triple play of intertwined plots in which a skeptical H.G. Wells is called upon to investigate purported incidents of time travel and to save lives and literary classics, including Dracula and The Time Machine, from being wiped from existence.

What happens if we change history? The author explores this question in the novel, weaving an historical fantasy as imaginative as it is exciting—a story full of love and adventure that transports readers to a haunting setting in Victorian London for their own taste of time travel.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

reserved

message 4: by Abbie (last edited Oct 25, 2014 08:30AM) (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments Awesome!
I got this book for Christmas last year, and I was hoping to get it read before Its been sitting on my shelf for a year!

When in November would you all like to start?

message 5: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I already own a copy so whenever is good for me.

message 6: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I have a copy too and can start anytime.

message 7: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments How's Nov 1st? Since it's over 600 pages I don't think I would finish it before the 8th if we start on the 1st.

message 8: by Abbie (last edited Oct 26, 2014 06:49AM) (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments Sounds good.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments Ooh that looks good . I'm in too.

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Oh this looks very interesting. If I can read it I'll be very late though as I've already over committed for November :o

message 11: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Karen wrote: "Oh this looks very interesting. If I can read it I'll be very late though as I've already over committed for November :o"

Karen, don't worry if you're running late. I have 4 November BRs picked out, so I'll be dropping in late also.

There are 4 copies of this book in my library system, but of course none of them are local. I haven't physically been to the libary in years, even though I've always got e-books checked out.

I'll drop by my local branch this week and see if they can have a copy sent over. If not, I guess I'm driving 20 miles for a book. (I should make a list. Oh, wait..I've got a library spreadsheet).

If I have to drive to Abita for it, I'll definitely be starting late.

message 12: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I don't even really know how a buddy read works. What's the etiquette for spoilers when discussing the book?

message 13: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments Well, I think it is up to us. We can read a certain # of pages a night, read certain chapter, or just go commando.

Spoiler should just have the spoiler html code, so to hide in case someone hasn't gotten that far.

message 14: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments Should we start maybe the 15th?

message 15: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) The 15th is perfect for me. I'm out of wifi range Thanksgiving week, and I'd hate to miss the discussion.

I requested the book today and should be able to pick it up Friday. I think the return date will be around the 21st, so it's a great time frame.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments I'm just waiting for my copy in the post and then I'll be starting. As it's 600 pages I want to get a start on it, probably around the 1st. I'll definitely use spoiler tags though.

message 17: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I had planned to start on the 1st.

message 18: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I probably won't be able to start right on the 1st, but maybe a few days later. Or the 15th is fine with me.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments You and I can chat, Mary before the others join us?

message 20: by Felecia (new)

Felecia (fncollier) | 6 comments I love this book! I got it a few years back. Wouldn't mind rereading it again

message 21: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I can wait a few days to start if needed.

message 22: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I'd like to join, too!

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) There is some confusion with the start date of this. The header says it starts on the 15th, but the list over in the request thread says it starts on the 1st. The discussion within here seems confusing, too. Some are starting on the first, some on the 15th. I'm just trying to figure out which date to let my team know about. Thanks!

message 24: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments At the top of our thread, the mods have it as the 15th.
So I would go with that date.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments Sorry if I caused any confusion. I just meant because at 600 pages it is a slightly longer book I would start it earlier. I won't comment till the 15th if it makes it easier.

message 26: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14257 comments Mod
Happy to change it to what ever you guys would prefer. I think we had it as the 15th as that was the last discussion, but if you'd like the 1st, I'll just change the header :)

message 27: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Looks like an interesting book.

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I'm happy with the 15th.

message 29: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I can wait until the 15th too.

message 30: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) The 15th is fine. I just got back from the library with my copy, but I've got it until the 21st so I'm good.

message 31: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments I liked to join. :)

message 32: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer i'm in please

message 33: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments I'll join in the buddy read :)

message 34: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments Just bumping this up? Everyone still good to start on or around the 15th?

message 35: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (ladykatala) | 5020 comments Should be good here. Finishing up Whiskey Beach first. Only one giant hard back book at a time :)

message 36: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'll be out of town but will catch up on the 17th.

message 37: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) Yes, I have my copy. It's not due back until 12/3 so I'm good.

message 38: by ZaraS (new)

ZaraS  *book reviewer I have my copy so I'm good to go assuming I get some other books read between now and then.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments I'll be joining in about 2 days..

Gotta say, I love the cover illustration on the paperback I've got.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

I have the red cover with the white silhouettes.

message 41: by Mary C (last edited Nov 14, 2014 10:01AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I have the audio download but my favorite cover is the 1st listed up top.

I am going to try and finish up the Johnny Cash bio I am listening to tonight and start this tomorrow.

message 42: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia (cynthiab) I'm going to finish Prince of Thorns today hopefully, and get started on this one tonight.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

Started this today. I've only read the first 2 chapters but am enjoying it so far.

message 44: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I actually listened to about 3 hrs of this while doing housework and running errands. Not sure what chapter I'm on so I'll wait to comment until I can check that.

message 45: by Abbie (new)

Abbie | 2575 comments Sorry everyone, I am just trying to finish another Buddy Read real quick before I start this one.
I have been waiting to start, but I have had a crazy week last week, and didn't get to finish everything I started!

message 46: by Chris (new)

Chris (cdavies1951) | 2192 comments I listened to the first few chapters, too. I enjoyed them. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was an interesting story. (view spoiler)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments CHAPTERS 1 - VII

I've started too... I loved the introduction to Part 1 but the opening chapters weren't what I was expecting either. Although anything set in that era of Victorian England with its dark alleys and gothic undertones is my thing.

I like the writing and the way the author captures the feeling of the time. I think I'm going to like this...

message 48: by Mary C (last edited Nov 16, 2014 05:07PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I love that setting too and anything (view spoiler).

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 4973 comments Read a bit more - up to Chapter XIII.

The books taken a bit of a tangent but no doubt all the associated bits will come together to complete the tale.

I can see (view spoiler)

This not my usual reading matter.. but I'm finding it refreshingly different.

message 50: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 4953 comments I'm on Chapter 6. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3