Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > Clickers series buddy read (spoiler warnings)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 130 (130 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mehmet (last edited Nov 04, 2014 06:16AM) (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Hello every one :-) This is a buddy read for the Clickers series by J. F Gonzalez, Mark Williams and Brian Keene.
We will be reading the following books
Clickers
Clickers 2 The next wave
Clickers 3 Dagon rising
Clickers vs Zombies

The buddy read will start November 3rd and so far we have
Mehmet
Jonathan
Natasa
Mallory heart
Adam

If you would like to join us, just let us know. You are all welcome ! Happy reading :-)
Beware the sound of the Clicks clicks and more clicks ;-)

message 2: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:26AM) (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Ha ha ha. I am sure we will get it moved soon! ;)

J.F. Gonzalez has his own mythology similar to Brian Keene and Stephen King. Some common elements are shown in Clickers and his other books like The Corporation.

Clickers by J.F. Gonzalez Clickers II The Next Wave by J.F. Gonzalez Clickers III Dagon Rising by J.F. Gonzalez Clickers Vs. Zombies by J.F. Gonzalez

message 3: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Woohoo managed to move to correct folder myself. So all set up and running.

message 4: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:33AM) (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Nice work buddy.

I'll invite some friends and try to get this party started!

Brian Keene's own mythology really comes into play by the second Clickers book. It is subtle so it isn't to scare off people who have never read Brian Keene's books before.

I plan on reading The Corporation, Primitive and They after reading Clickers just so I can get familiar with J.F. Gonzalez's mythology.

They by J.F. Gonzalez , Primitive by J.F. Gonzalez , The Corporation by J.F. Gonzalez

message 5: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Cheers Jonathan :-) let's High Five !

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments yay!!

-dances around the room-

message 8: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Woohoo (joins in the dancing) :-) check out my moves ;-)

message 9: by Natasa (new)

Natasa (natasa79) | 353 comments I'm in!

message 10: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Great stuff Natasa :-)

message 11: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:38AM) (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Yes! Two awesome recruits and I haven't even started recruiting yet!

Fans of The Rising will see some familiar faces in Clickers VS. Zombies. (The fourth book in the series.)

Clickers VS. Zombies by J.F. Gonzalez

message 12: by Pamellia (new)

Pamellia (michiganparents) Clickers?? How did I miss out on this one? I'll look into it and maybe participate. Right now I'm on vacation and not reading as much as usual and not checking messages as often as I usually do.

message 13: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments You are more than welcome Pamilla to join in the fun. Let me know once you get book and I add your name.

message 14: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments I am really looking forward to read this series. Not read any Gonzalez yet and Brian Keene The rising series has hooked me right on to read Zombies vs Clickers :-)

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 19 comments Oh my gosh, Mehmet! Your profile pic is amazing!! is that you all made up?

message 16: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments No cookies, I took a pic on my friends phone and he used a zombie App to change my face. I thought it suited the moment, with Halloween and our buddy read :-)

♥♡¢σσкιє♥♡ (Krystle)  (kookiekrysp88) | 19 comments That is VERY cool! You look positively terrifying! (And I mean that in a good way. lol)

message 18: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Thanks Cookies :-) my wife said I looked very frightening in photo !

message 19: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 01, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Hi everyone! I think this will be my first J.F. Gonzalez book as well. I hear lots of great things about his books!

J.F. Gonzalez

J.F. Gonzalez has subtle connections that tie his books that deal with black magic and ancient Sumerian Gods. I believe this really doesn't become apparent until CLICKERS III: DAGON RISING though.

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments I'm joining. I think this will be my first by Mr. G, although I have They but haven't read.

message 21: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Welcome to our buddy read Mallory! Thank you so much for joining up with us!

=)

Clickers was my first book as well.

Also I would like to thank Brian Keene for advertising this group buddy read on his website!

Link: http://www.briankeene.com/2014/11/02/...

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments Yes, I saw Brian's blog post on it this AM in my email, and here I am LOL

message 23: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Have you read a lot of Brian Keene's other books Mallory?

I just finished Blood on the Page: The Complete Short Fiction of Brian Keene, Volume 1 last month and it was amazing. That collection had Halves in it which was really good.

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments I've read a couple of the Hollow books Dark Hollow, Ghost Walk; LOVED those, really lovedSixty-Five Stirrup Iron Road(that's the book that turned me on to Edward Lee;)) and The Rising. I think that's it so far.

message 25: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I really want to read the Dark Hollow series. Levi looks like a really awesome character. I heard Dark Hollow might be made into a movie, I really hope it does the novel justice!

Sixty - Five is on my to read list for sure!

I never read a Edward Lee book before.

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments Edward Lee is my demonstration to myself that I've developed a cast-iron stomach:)). Seriously, Sixty-five was great, and so are the Hollow books-just excellent. On the subject of Mr. Lee again, you might also try hisbGast, original title The Black Train, and his novella Trolley No. 1852, which stars Mr. Lovecraft:)

message 27: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Trolley No. 1852 has been on my t-read list before I joined Goodreads. The whole set up to it sounds really cool. Like something from John Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness.

What are some of your favorite horror movies Mallory?

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments Funny you should ask that as I just read the prologue to CLICKERS (really good!!) And my mind's eye is continually replaying the first scenes from "The Fog," which I started on Syfy, must have been 5 or 6 years ago. I stopped watching tv or films quite a while back, but I still admire the Halloween series, especially the first 2; The Giant Gila Monster. NOT Attack of the Giant Leeches Lol. Speaking of film, the original novella of Who Goes There? is just about the best piece of writing I've ever read.

message 29: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments That is awesome. What are some of your favorite horror books of all time?

I will always love Blood Crazy and Horns. (I was a fan of Horns before that awful movie came out.) ;)

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments Let's see, how long do we have??) Let me think...I've been reading for centuries and read fast, so that's a lot. Right immediately: Ash, almost any Sarah Rayne; Adam Nevill' s RITUAL, APARTMENT 16, and Banquet for the Damned. Ramsey CAmpbell, Ancient Images. Anything Jonathan JANZ or Joe Hart. And Paul Cornell, oh my: London Flling, and The SEVERED STREETS. And China Mieville!! [Breathless] and Bag of bones, Lisey' s Story, and Duma Key.

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments I liked Horns a lot (really love abandoned factories), but consider Heart-Shaped Box way scarier, and of course, NOS4A2 and From a Buick 8. And Clickers great and I will have to read the entire series!:)

message 32: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Heart Shaped Box was definitely a lot scarier! I agree.

You might like some of stories from 20th Century Ghosts. I really liked Pop Art and Voluntary Committal from that collection.

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Mallory Heart wrote: "Great, thanks:)"

You are very welcome!

Are you familiar with Brian Keene's Labyrinth mythology?

Eldritch_Reading_Reindeer Groundhogged (readingreindeerproximacentauri) | 189 comments Not really...I'd very much like to get the new tome by he and Mr. Gonzalez, LIBER.. which I understand quite delves into the mythologies of both...but at $59..especially at this time of year, the cost is prohibitive...

message 36: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Don't worry Mallory you already know about two of the Thirteen. =)

(Ob from The Rising and Nodens from Dark Hollow. The dark god is called Nodens right?)

So you are probably more familiar with the Labyrinth mythology then most.

message 37: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments I Am in. Already read them but would love to read them again and get more insight from others reading the series.

message 38: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Adam wrote: "I Am in. Already read them but would love to read them again and get more insight from others reading the series."

Sounds good to me. I love talking about all the little connections these novels have with Brian Keene's other series....

Such as the mysterious Black Lodge....

message 39: by Mehmet (new)

Mehmet | 1217 comments Welcome Mallory and Adam to our fun book read :-)
I am half way through the first book, it is so fun. Reminds me of a mixture of 80s horror novels mixed with Jaws.

message 40: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments This was my first JF Gonzalez book and I will be honest I didn't get it until the crossover with Keene's the Rising.

message 41: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Adam wrote: "This was my first JF Gonzalez book and I will be honest I didn't get it until the crossover with Keene's the Rising."

Me too. It was Brian that got me into JF Gonzalez.

Adam which Brian Keene books have you read?

message 42: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments I have been reading his books since 2004. I have read the Rising Series (Except Deliverance), Clickers Series, Levi Series (Love these books), Earthworm Series, Terminal, Ghoul, Castaways, The Damned Highway, 65 Iron Stirrup Road, Dead See, Entombed, Darkness at the edge of town, Kill Whitey, alot of the short story edition books he released along with Blood on the Page, The Looking Glass (Mult Authors), Urban Gothic, and I am sure I missed some.

message 43: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Did you order the Black Bible that came out a few weeks ago?

=)

message 44: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments Yes I did. Very excited to get that book. How all Keene's books are interconnected with the Mythos is very awesome.

message 45: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments I was get really excited when I spot a connection to The Thirteen or The Black Lodge. =) It's a lot of fun.

Did you ever manage to snag the elusive Field Guide to the thirteen?

message 46: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments No that is one I was never able to find. I hope to start reading clickers tonight (looks like I am far behind Mehmet)

message 47: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Go for it! I look forward to discussing all of the Labyrinth mythology with you!

Who is your favorite member of the Thirteen?

message 48: by Adam (new)

Adam | 20 comments I always though Ob was a bamf mainly because he was the first of the thirteen I was introduced to and he was a bamf in those books. What about you?

message 49: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Echevarria (gabrielzero) | 862 comments Ob is definitely my favorite especially with that scene with a rocket launcher at the end of The Rising. I liked how he took down the leader of the defunct lNational Guard.

I am curious to learn about Nodens. He is in Dark Hollow right?

message 50: by Adam (last edited Nov 05, 2014 05:44AM) (new)

Adam | 20 comments I believe it is Dark Hallow. It has been a long time since I read the Levi Series which I would highly suggest. I really enjoyed the Levi series but that is also because I live near the area the Lehorns Hollow (Actually know as Rehmeyers Hollow, which is where Dark Hallow and Ghost Walk were based)

« previous 1 3