Start by marking “From a Buick 8” as Want to Read:
From a Buick 8

From a Buick 8

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  53,530 ratings  ·  1,493 reviews
In a secret shed behind the barracks of the Pennsylvania State Police, Troop D, there’s a cherry Buick Roadmaster no one has touched in years – because there’s more power under the hood than anyone can handle…
Published September 24th 2002 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about From a Buick 8, please sign up.
Simina This is so, so good. I loved this one, altho so many people dislike it, I don't know why. It is kind of grose here and there, but nothing unbearable.…moreThis is so, so good. I loved this one, altho so many people dislike it, I don't know why. It is kind of grose here and there, but nothing unbearable. I'll have to re-read this someday!
Long days and pleasant nights!(less)

Kemper
Jun 09, 2009 rated it liked it
You ever make a meal comprised only of a bunch of leftovers that don’t really match? That’s how you end up eating half a Salisbury steak with the sweet-n-sour chicken from last night’s take-out. Stephen King loves doing that only it’s with books instead of food.

Here we have a hunk of Christine served up with stray bits from The Tommyknockers, and it’s all done using one of his preferred methods of having a character tell a long rambling story. Uncle Stevie then seasons it up with a lot of wistfu
Carol
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

OMGOSH, I really can't believe I'm rating a Stephen King novel 2.5 Stars, but From A Buick 8 turned out to be a real "clunker" of a read for me.

The story begins enticingly when a mysterious man dressed in black rolls into a gas station for a fill-up and forthwith disappears leaving his evil vintage car behind. Unfortunately though, except for a few freaky monster moments and light shows, the plot was long, lacking and laborious.

A rare disappointment from The King!

trishtrash
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often wonder if 'Buick' counts as metafiction: a story told within a story which is, in a way, about stories, and our obsession with endings and with finding out. Principally, though, it's a rollicking good horror yarn in which the creepy is layed on with a trowel until you just want it to stop... well, maybe after one more page.

The premise of an alternative dimension has never been handled so diffidently. It's there, in the boot of a car, under a tarp, in a garage on the local sheriff's offic
Rebecca McNutt
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Although From a Buick 8 isn't my favourite King book and I think it could have done more to be original and memorable, I still really enjoyed reading it. This is a very ambiguous and somewhat strange novel, but contrary to its reputation, I didn't find it bad at all. It wasn't great but it's obviously a strong effort and it's still a fun story. What really brings From a Buick 8 to life in every respect are its characters and the connections they have together, although the sci-fi and fantasy asp ...more
Edward Lorn
May 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Guantanamo Bay Detainees
There are many problems with this book, but they can all be summed up with a quote from the actual text:

From page 297 of the hardcover, third paragraph, starting fourth sentence in:

But--this is important--tell me a story, one that has a beginning and a middle and an end where everything is explained. Because I deserve that. Don't shake the rattle of your ambiguity in my face. I deny its place. I repudiate its claim. I want a story.

No. Fucking. Shit. King spends a great deal of this book explain
*~Lan Lan~*
Feb 20, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

Yes, I did it! I finished this book!

It is not like this book is horrible or anything, but for its 350 something page length, it took longer and a lot of energy to finish. In comparison to King's novels that I have read, this is one of the most dense, uneventful books he has published.

From a Buick 8 is a novel that is meant to make you think more than entertain. It presents an interesting premise, one that emphasizes our human nature for needing 'meaning' in life. It makes us question
Nathan
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I don't think this is the best novel I've read. It's not even Stephen King's best. It is my favorite though. It's the novel I've reread most often. This was at least my fifteenth reading of it and I still had fun.
Franco  Santos
A veces, cuando alguien lo pasa mal, le ayudan más personas de las que esperaba. Y a veces, aun así, no es suficiente.

Empezaba tan bien este libro... Al principio pensaba que me iba a encantar, pero a medida que avanzaba se me hacía cada vez más aburrido. Lo bueno es que no es pesado, entonces se puede leer rápido. No obstante, en relación con la historia, es muy lenta y repetitiva.

Lo siento, Steve, pero no me gustó.
Erik
Apr 29, 2008 rated it did not like it
You have a favorite restaurant. They serve a new four-course meal each time you visit (the fourth being dessert) and you always leave feeling full and satisfied. But this time you notice the "Under New Management" sign. But you're not worried. They're still doing great business and the line is around the block. Fortunately, you made reservations.

As the courses progress, you notice the flavors are bland, uninteresting, and redundant. Maybe the chef is having an off night. You push through it, bec
The Face of Your Father
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I avoided this novel for years, in fear that it would be a 'Christine' part 2 situation. Well, I was wrong.

It's actually an extremely better novel, in my opinion. Scarier? No. More exciting? Definitely not. More entertaining? No. Better written? Yes.

George A Romero used zombies to explore deeper meanings of civilization in his films. Stephen King does the same thing in his novels, just with the supernatural/unexplained, and usually a car is involved in some way as well. Buick 8 is about dealin
Reanna
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
First off, let me just say this book literally took me all month to get through and it was relentlessly slow. I kept hoping, wishing the story would pick up the pace but it just never did. If you're looking for one of those quick, enjoyable King fixes that we all know and love, this is not the book I'd recommend. I read it because it was the book selection of the month for the group and I would have eventually read it anyway.

I really wanted to rip this book apart and rate it a 1 star but that's

I'm reading it anyway.
Jerry
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Just finishing off another rereading of this one, which, I gotta say, stands up remarkably well to repeated readings ... in fact, I couldn't help but notice this time around that From a Buick 8 actually gets more and more frightening each time I read it. Quite counterintuitive. Knowing that 90-to-99% of readers will not understand what I'm about to say here, I just love this book. It has some of the most gorgeous writing SK has done anywhere, and when you compare it with, I don't know, Firestart ...more
Jerry B
Jul 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
One-idea book tires -- way too long for small plot...

Like a burlesque sketch that is funny for a minute or two but gets boring when nothing new happens for another half hour, King gives us an interesting premise that goes almost nowhere for the rest of the book. An old Buick is left at a gas station by a mysterious person who disappears, as does one of the investigating State Police of Troop D in Western PA; thereafter, the car is stored at the barracks and occasionally puts on laser light show
Joanne Harris
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I can see why some Stephen King fans found this book unsatisfactory. It is relatively slow-moving, inconclusive, relies on implict, rather than explicit menace, and seems at times almost existential in its depiction of death and the mundane. It dares to tell a story that ends on a question mark, and challenges and subverts all the standard tropes of the standard horror novel. However, to me these are the very things that make the book stand out as it does - in fact, I think this may be the most ...more
Kit★
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: keep-forever
This was a re-read for me, the only other time I had read this book was when it was first published, back in 2002. So, needless to say, I didn't remember much aside from the basic premise of the story: the car and the things it does. So it was nice sinking into this story all over again, getting to know the characters, the "Troop D Family". Stephen King does such a good job of creating and fleshing out characters, I feel like I know them, this whole story felt like I was there at the barracks, s ...more
شيرين هنائي
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
اعلم انني العربية الوحيدة في قراء ستيفن كينج التي تجرأت و كتبت بالعربية،لكن خلف ذلك سر صغير..اود ان اشارك قاريء العربية شغفي بهذا الكاتب الرائع و اشاركه ايضا وجهه نظري في الخمسة نجوم التي اعطيتها لتلك الرواية.
اولا هي رواية بسيطة تنقلك في سلاسة الى عالم الجنود و الثكنات و السر الذي تداريه كتيبة صغيرة و تتاورثة طيله ربع قرن.
اسلوب غير مسبوق في التقافز بين رواة متعددين و مع ذلك لا يفقد لقاريء ابدا ترابط الاحداث و لا تركيزه مع من يكحي ماذا..كل شخصية لها لزماتها و لكنتها و شخصيتها المتفردة..تحدي كبير
Beth
Oct 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
You don't have a be Stephen King fan to enjoy this book. The plot was intriguing, the characters were likeable, and the story involves a true mystery. This is the kind of story that only Stephen King could pull off successfully. Make no mistake - this is not "Christine" revisited. This is a whole-new, remarkable story about a not-of-the-world Buick... but, not really a Buick. The story revolves as much around the complex lives of its characters as it does the mysterious Buick... that's not reall ...more
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
2002 - I just didn't "get" it.

October 2014
The first (and second) time I read this book the extent of my thoughts were “Hmmm...I just didn’t get it.”. I gave it 2 stars and called it good. I’ve always felt a little guilty about that. Not only because I generally adore everything King writes on principal, but also because I obviously didn’t care enough to write a bit more.

I have been on a Colorado Kid/Haven kick for the last ten months or so. For anyone unfamiliar with either of those, the novel
Si Barron
I loved the premise of this story. Stephen King usually takes an interesting situation and then throws characters at it and watches how it develops. Sometimes, especially in his early novels the characters develop the situation and we move on into what might be called plot line. (King doesn't start with a plot line fixed, he creates as he goes along so he says in 'On Writing')

This development does not happen in 'From a Buick 8' Perhaps it has something to do with the way the narrative is told- a
Jay Jessmer
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
OK, I've said before that Stephen King is a genius, and he has now shown me another reason why, albeit probably unintentionally. This book grabbed me immediately, and sucked me in, then about a third of the way in I thought, ok, this is going nowhere and I am going to be let down. There was nothing really happenning and I could feel that it was just going to be a LONG short story.
Then about 2/3 of the way through, I realized what was happenning: I became a character in the book. Alright, that'
Patricio
In Pennsylvania, the State Police of Troop D finds a mysterious car that has some peculiar aspects and behaviors. The car -a Buick 8- is a portal between our world and other dimension, and sometimes it aborts strange things.

From a Buick 8 is a different book from all the Kings I've read before. It is quite slow, there are unanswered questions and it deals with the absurd. However, it also had good aspects and it was better than what I was expecting.

YES, it was slow -I say it again-, but it arose
Siobhan
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
If the truth is to be known there are a number of Stephen King books that I sit and think ‘why, and more importantly how, did I work my way through all of this’. I was expecting this to be one such book, meaning I was more than a little bit surprised when I managed to go against everyone who seems to think it is a rather drab book.

It is a slow starter. In fact, I will change that to say the book is rather slow as a whole. Events seem to take place in fits and starts as details are relayed to us.
Chrissa Vasileiou
Το "Από μια Μπιούικ 8" είναι η πιο τρανή απόδειξη πως ένα μυαλό όπως αυτό του King,αφάνταστα δημιουργικό κι εφευρετικό,μπορεί να εμπνευστεί από το οποιοδήποτε γεγονός,όσο τυχαίο και να 'ναι,και να δημιουργήσει μια ιστορία που με την πρώτη ματιά μοιάζει εξωπραγματική,αλλά όσο προχωράς στην ανάγνωση βυθίζεσαι μέσα της και σε τραβάει με έναν παράξενο τρόπο,παρόμοιο μ' εκείνον που τραβάει η Μπιούικ τους άντρες της Διμοιρίας Δ.
Είναι επίσης η απόδειξη πως κάποιες ιστορίες,όσο ευφάνταστες και καλογραμμ
Miriam Smith
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept-book
I either love Stephen King books or hate them....and this was one I loved! Not over the top, had a brilliant story line and had my emotions all over the place. A real classic. This and The Green Mile are my favourite King books and would recommend this to anyone.
Gorgona Grim
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pravo osveženje i odličan podsetnik na "starog" Kinga. Pomalo sam bila skeptična oko toga kako će radnja biti građena oko jednog običnog automobila, ali kako sam se samo prevarila - Bjuik je sve, samo ne običan.

U Statleru, (izmišljenom) gradiću u Pensilvaniji, četa D predstavlja lokalni policijski ogranak čiji su članovi, redovni pripadnici policijske jedinice, međusobno povezani poput porodice - vode računa jedni o drugima tokom smene i onda kada se ista završi. Četu D ujedno vezuje i misterija
Alex Telander
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Stephen King will publish two books this year: one is already out, and the other will be released tomorrow. In January or February the publishing schedule was switched around for some reason, so Everything’s Eventual – a collection of short stories – was released in March, while From a Buick 8 will be released on Tuesday. Why this is, I know not, but I can certainly say Mr. King did not save the best for last in his publishing schedule of 2002. From a Buick 8 is simply not that good.

The book beg
Johann (jobis89)
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
"In my experience the bad shit gets saved up until you have a day when everything comes due at once. That was one of those days."

From A Buick 8 is about a group of Pennsylvania State Troopers finding a "car" that seems to be some kind of portal between our world and some other scary Unknown world, and then keeping it secret as they try to figure out what exactly this car is.

This has been my least favourite King book so far. It's not a bad, it's just not a great book either. I did enjoy the frie
Derek Patz

Let us go the barracks of rural Pennsylvania State Police station. Located amongst the Amish community, Troop D is running full steam answering calls for burglaries, car accidents as well as domestic assault. Sandy Dearborn runs the show while Shirley is in charge of dispatch.

The story starts with Sandy and the gang telling a story to young Ned Wilcox about his dad and a Buick Roadmaster that sits in a shed out back. We continue to hear the good old days of events, calls and the past of Troop
Marc-Antoine
Aug 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Some stories are meant to be ambiguous, this is one of them. I was under the impression that I hadn’t read this one yet, I was wrong. I enjoyed it, but I’ll probably forget it again.
Goodreads Librari...: Format correction 3 18 May 11, 2018 08:25AM
2018 Beyond the C...: From a Buick 8 1 1 Apr 30, 2018 05:47PM
Play Book Tag: From a Buick 8 by Stephen King - 2 stars 4 11 Sep 25, 2017 11:52PM
Around the Year i...: From a Buick 8, by Stephen King 1 8 Jun 24, 2017 09:07PM
Finding this hard work - anyone else? 22 85 Sep 16, 2015 12:05PM
  • The Regulators
  • Night Visions 5
  • The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon: A Pop-up Book
  • Darkfall
  • The Dark Tower: Treachery
  • The Throat
  • The Journals of Eleanor Druse: My Investigation of the Kingdom Hospital Incident
  • The Stephen King Universe: A Guide to the Worlds of the King of Horror
  • The Damnation Game
  • Nobody True
“It's funny how close the past is, sometimes. Sometimes it seems as if you could almost reach out and touch it. Only who really wants to?” 29 likes
“You don't always talk with your mouth. Sometimes what you say with your mouth hardly matters at all. You have to signify” 25 likes