Seasons of Reading Readathons discussion

Fall Readathons/Events > FrightFall Readathon 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol | 18 comments Looking forward to some scary👹👿👺☠️Stories.
Thanks for doing the Readathon.

message 3: by Elyse (last edited Sep 16, 2019 04:31AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Woot! Can't wait! I think I'll be in a good position by the end of the month to start reading my King list.

TBR:
Physical Own
The Institute by Stephen King Duma Key by Stephen King Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4) by Stephen King Night Shift by Stephen King The Dark Tower Fall of Gilead by Robin Furth The Dark Tower Battle of Jericho Hill by Robin Furth Creepshow by Stephen King
E-Book Own
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Overdrive/Libby Audio Holds
The Fireman by Joe Hill Wolverton Station by Joe Hill Strange Weather by Joe Hill Horns by Joe Hill Blood and Smoke by Stephen King

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Stockard Miller (michelleamiller) | 319 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Looking forward to some scary👹👿👺☠️Stories.
Thanks for doing the Readathon."

You're welcome! Glad to have you with us again. :)

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Sep 17, 2019 07:36AM) (new)

Elyse wrote: "Woot! Can't wait! I think I'll be in a good position by the end of the month to start reading my King list.

TBR:
Physical Own
The Institute by Stephen King Duma Key by Stephen King [bookco..."

In addition to Doctor Sleep, I'm going to be reading from Full Dark, No Stars and Joe Hill's 20th Century Ghosts in October. :)

Duma Key is one of my King favorites.

message 6: by Elyse (last edited Oct 17, 2019 04:45AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Woot! Can't wait! I think I'll be in a good position by the end of the month to start reading my King list.

TBR:
Physical Own
The Institute by Stephen King..."

I really liked Full Dark, No Stars! Really good stories.

message 7: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments Elyse wrote: "Woot! Can't wait! I think I'll be in a good position by the end of the month to start reading my King list.

TBR:
Physical Own
The Institute by Stephen King Duma Key by Stephen King [bookco..."

I adore Heart-Shaped Box. I found it so creepy that I had to stop reading it prior to going to sleep.

message 8: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments My October Reads include:

The Turn of the Screw by Henry James The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup Night Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko

And one or both of
The Outsider (Holly Gibney, #1) by Stephen King or The Institute by Stephen King

message 9: by Elyse (last edited Oct 01, 2019 07:22AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments It's October! Woot! I started listening to Strange Weather by Joe Hill this morning and YAY the first story is narrated by Wil Wheaton! Seems to sound incredibly like a King story...didn't he have a camera capturing souls story too?
I can't wait to start reading The Institute by Stephen King when I get home!!

message 10: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments I started reading The Institute by Stephen King and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

message 11: by Marlena (last edited Oct 04, 2019 05:38AM) (new)

Marlena Lang | 1 comments I am currently reading No Exit and boy is it creepy and atmospheric! - I have since finished this book and it was very well down, I very much enjoyed it start to finish!

message 12: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments I've started The Outsider.

message 13: by Carol (last edited Oct 31, 2019 06:33PM) (new)

Carol | 18 comments Finished Book # 1.....The Haunting of Galsbury Inn: Haunted House The Haunting of Galsbury Inn Haunted House by Caroline Clark by Caroline Clark &
Carrie King

Finished Book # 2....No More Time No More Time (A Dodie O'Dell Mystery #5) by Suzanne M. Trauth by [[bookcover:Moms of the Missing: Living the Nightmare|47575533]author:Suzanne M. Trauth|6187623]

Finished Book # 3....Racked Racked by Sue Coletta by Sue Coletta

Finished Book # 4....Moms of the Missing: Living the Nightmare Moms of the Missing Living the Nightmare by Steffen Hou by Steffen Hou

Finished Book #5.....1st Shock 1st Shock (Schock Sisters, #1) by Misty Evans by Misty Evans

Finished Book # 6....Pelican Beach Murder: Book Two in the Meg Miller Cozy Mystery Series Pelican Beach Murder Book Two in the Meg Miller Cozy Mystery Series (Meg Miller Cozy Mysteries 2) by Phyllis H. Moore by Phyllis H. Moore

Finished Book # 7....Treble with the Law: Legal Beagle Cozy Mystery #2 Treble with the Law Legal Beagle Cozy Mystery #2 by Jessa Archer by Jessa Archer

Finished Book # 8....By Book or By Crook By Book or By Crook (Lighthouse Library Mystery #1) by Eva Gates by Eva Gates

Finished Book #9....Christmas Cupcakes and a Caper Christmas Cupcakes and a Caper (Death by Cupcake, #4) by D.E. Haggerty by D.E. Haggerty

Started Book # 10....The Id Paradox The Id Paradox by Jan Notzon Jan Notzon ......Read 3/4 but won’t finish tonight

message 14: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments Finished book 1 (The Outsider) and beginning book 2 : The Turn of the Screw by Henry James

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Amy J. wrote: "My October Reads include:

The Turn of the Screw by Henry JamesThe Chestnut Man by Søren SveistrupNight Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko

And one or both of
The Outsider (Holly Gibney, #1) by Stephen King or [bookc..."

Night Watch is SO good! Enjoy your scary reads, and thanks for joining us!

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Marlena wrote: "I am currently reading No Exit and boy is it creepy and atmospheric! - I have since finished this book and it was very well down, I very much enjoyed it start to finish!"

Welcome to FrightFall, Marlena! Glad you enjoyed your first read.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Carol wrote: "Finished Book # 1.....The Haunting of Galsbury Inn: Haunted House The Haunting of Galsbury Inn Haunted House by Caroline Clark by Caroline Clark &
[author:Carri..."

Glad to have you with us again, Carol!

message 18: by Michelle (new)

Elyse wrote: "I started reading The Institute by Stephen King and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill"

Yay, October! Elyse, I'm doing more Kingtober than I thought. Read "In the Tall Grass" and watched the movie on Netflix. Currently still reading Doctor Sleep and 1922 in Full Dark, No Stars.

Hope you're enjoying your reads!

message 19: by Elyse (last edited Oct 07, 2019 05:03AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments I finished listening to Strange Weather by Joe Hill this weekend. Really liked 2 of the stories, liked 1, and hated 1.
Started listening to The Fireman by Joe Hill yesterday. Getting The Stand/Year One (Nora Roberts) vibes so far.

message 20: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I started reading The Institute by Stephen King and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill"

Yay, October! Elyse, I'm doing more Kingtober than I thought. Read "In the Tall Grass" a..."

I really need to watch the King Netflix adaptations this month!

message 21: by Michelle (new)

Elyse wrote: "Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I started reading The Institute by Stephen King and Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill"

Yay, October! Elyse, I'm doing more Kingtober than I thought. Read "In ..."

Thought it was pretty good, but changed a bit from the story. I'll look forward to hearing what you think. :)

message 22: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Scothon (sydneyscothon) | 1 comments I started reading the stand

message 23: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments I finished The Turn of the Screw by Henry James , not my favorite. And started The Institute by Stephen King on audible and Night Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko in paperback.

message 24: by Diana (new)

Diana | 42 comments Finished: No Judgements (Little Bridge Island #1) by Meg Cabot , Lotería by Mario Alberto Zambrano , Heart of the Moors An Original Maleficent Mistress of Evil Novel by Holly Black

Starting: I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid

message 25: by Janet (new)

Janet (spiritus3) | 3 comments I just started reading The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

message 26: by Diana (new)

Diana | 42 comments Stayed up late last night finishing I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid , which might not have been the best thing because then I stayed up even later trying not to think about it.

Switching over to the lighter side of scary with: Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1) by Rose Pressey

message 27: by Amy J. (last edited Oct 14, 2019 12:23PM) (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments I started and finished The Chestnut Man by Søren Sveistrup over the weekend. (I LOVED it). I'm still reading Night Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko , but I'm having trouble getting through the second story. I hated that the first one ended. I was really into that story then it was just suddenly over. And I'm still listening to The Institute by Stephen King , which I'll probably finish up this weekend.

message 28: by Elyse (last edited Oct 15, 2019 05:39AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments I finished listening to The Fireman by Joe Hill this morning and will finish reading Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill today! Then I can focus on The Institute by Stephen King . I started listening to Blood and Smoke by Stephen King this morning.

message 29: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments I finished listening to Blood and Smoke by Stephen King yesterday and started listening to Horns by Joe Hill this morning.

message 30: by Elyse (last edited Oct 17, 2019 04:49AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Gosh, I can't believe it's time for the mid-event check-in already!! I feel like I've read nothing this month! Can't wait for Dewey's to help me out!

Mid-Event Check-In
Read

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
Listened
Strange Weather by Joe Hill The Fireman by Joe Hill Blood and Smoke by Stephen King

Currently Reading
The Institute by Stephen King on page 175-ish
Currently Listening
Horns by Joe Hill just started this morning-about an hour in

message 32: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Autumn Is Azathoth wrote: "Mid-event (through aft. Oct. 17):
https://thehauntedreadingroom.blogspo..."

Wowza!

message 33: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments I finished Night Watch (Watch #1) by Sergei Lukyanenko . And started Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler .

I had a realization that all my horror is from white, male authors. So, I started looking for horror written by women. I love Octavia E. Butler's sci-fi/fantasy so I thought I'd read her "horror" novel about vamps. So far its my least favorite of her novels, but it's still pretty darn good. I'm also going to try to read The Hunger by Alma Katsu by Alma Katsu

message 34: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Amy J. wrote: "I'm also going to try to read The Hunger by Alma Katsu by Alma Katsu."

Just entered the Goodreads Giveaway for this one!

message 35: by Diana (new)

Diana | 42 comments Finished: Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1) by Rose Pressey and also had a bit of quick fun with Skeletitos Countdown to Midnight by Susie Jaramillo

Finishing up: Black Canary Ignite by Meg Cabot later today

message 36: by Michelle (new)

Posting this here in case anyone participating in the readathon wants to join us for our #SomethingWickedFall watch-along.

Reminder! The #Midsommar Watch-Along is tonight! 10 pm Eastern/9 pm Central.
We will be using Slack for discussion while we watch (It's free!). Here's the invite link to join: https://join.slack.com/t/seasonsofrea...

message 37: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Finished listening to Horns by Joe Hill . Did not like it. Now I'm out of King/Hill audiobooks! Boooo. Must search my Audible for horror books.

message 38: by Elyse (last edited Oct 23, 2019 11:31AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments I started listening to The Bad Seed by William March yesterday an I didn't realize the Lifetime movie I watched last spring with Rob Lowe was a retelling of this book! So I'm a little bit familiar with the plot which is nice.
I'm still chugging along with The Institute by Stephen King , I'm about halfway through.

message 39: by Elyse (last edited Oct 28, 2019 04:58AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Whew what a weekend! Dewey's is over and I'm still recuperating. lol. I read for 18 hours 40 minutes.
I listened to Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1) by James Howe Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2) by James Howe The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3) by James Howe
And I read Creepshow by Stephen King Coraline by P. Craig Russell The Dark Tower Fall of Gilead by Robin Furth The Dark Tower Battle of Jericho Hill by Robin Furth
Plus I did finish The Institute by Stephen King !

message 40: by writer... (last edited Nov 07, 2019 08:58AM) (new)

writer... (goodreadscomwriter) | 63 comments Sept - Oct
Frightfall / Gothics /Murders / Mysteries WrapUp

The Little Man From Archangel by Georges Simenon Murder in the Mews (Hercule Poirot, #18) by Agatha Christie The Blue Cross by G.K. Chesterton The Flying Stars and The Invisible Man by G.K. Chesterton The Unbreakable Alibi (Partners in Crime Vol. 3) by Agatha Christie Sherlock Holmes The Blue Diamond (Dominoes Level 1) by Bill Bowler The Disappearance of Lady Frances Carfax by Arthur Conan Doyle The Old Ladies by Hugh Walpole
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie The Hummingbird Dagger by Cindy Anstey A Rare Book of Cunning Device (Peter Grant, #6.5) by Ben Aaronovitch The Dry (Aaron Falk, #1) by Jane Harper The Flower Show Murder (Monica Noble, #2) by Joyce Cato Death of a Ghost by M.C. Beaton The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim A Short Story by Agatha Christie Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie
A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15) by Louise Penny The Adventure of the Empty House (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #1) by Arthur Conan Doyle Father Brown Mysteries Collection by G.K. Chesterton The Adventure of Black Peter (The Return of Sherlock Holmes, #6) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Green Bicycle Mystery The curious death of Bella Wright by Antony M. Brown Finding Lady Enderly by Joanna Davidson Politano Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1) by Chris Grabenstein

message 41: by Elyse (last edited Oct 31, 2019 11:31AM) (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 382 comments Wrap-Up
Physical
The Institute by Stephen King The Dark Tower Fall of Gilead by Robin Furth The Dark Tower Battle of Jericho Hill by Robin Furth Creepshow by Stephen King Coraline by P. Craig Russell
E-Book
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill The Quiet Boy by Nick Antosca
Audio
Strange Weather by Joe Hill The Fireman by Joe Hill Blood and Smoke by Stephen King Horns by Joe Hill The Bad Seed by William March Bunnicula (Bunnicula, #1) by James Howe Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #2) by James Howe The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3) by James Howe

Whew Dewey's was a big help! But I did have to veer off of my King only which saddened me. First time in 3 years I've read something (multiple somethings!) other than King in October.

message 42: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 23 comments I finished Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler .

I started The Hunger by Alma Katsu , but I'm sure I won't get it finished tonight

message 44: by Diana (new)

Diana | 42 comments I hit such a slump these last two weeks. I don't know if it was because I finished the books I was looking forward to reading but after that I couldn't pick anything else up. It hasn't helped that one bored me enough to want to give up but a part of me still wants to work through it.

Graphic novels did help in the end a bit:
Diana, Princess Of The Amazons by Shannon Hale , Batman Nightwalker #1 Special Edition by Marie Lu , Black Canary Ignite by Meg Cabot

Murder Can Mess Up Your Masterpiece (A Haunted Craft Fair Mystery #1) by Rose Pressey , I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid , Skeletitos Countdown to Midnight by Susie Jaramillo , Heart of the Moors An Original Maleficent Mistress of Evil Novel by Holly Black , There Is No Good Card for This What To Say and Do When Life Is Scary, Awful, and Unfair to People You Love by Kelsey Crowe , No Judgments (Little Bridge Island, #1) by Meg Cabot

Audiobook:
Lotería by Mario Alberto Zambrano

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 45: by Kelley (new)

Kelley (shewolf0316) | 54 comments here is my list of books completed during #frightfall
Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1) by Dean Koontz Demon Kissed (Blood Feud #2) by Patti O'Shea Dr. Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King The Butterfly Garden (The Collector, #1) by Dot Hutchison The Shining by Stephen King Rolling in the Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #0.5) by Mira Grant Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1) by Mira Grant The Pretender's Gambit (Rogue Angel, #51) by Alex Archer Carmilla by J. Sheridan Le Fanu Agent of Chaos (The X-Files Origins #1) by Kami Garcia Carnival Row Tangle in the Dark by Stephanie K. Smith

message 46: by Michelle (new)

Thanks for joining me for FrightFall last month. :)

Be sure to link up your wrap up by Friday at 11:59 pm CST. Link is in the top of this thread.

message 47: by Michelle (new)

Kelley wrote: "here is my list of books completed during #frightfall
Prodigal Son (Dean Koontz's Frankenstein #1) by Dean Koontz Demon Kissed (Blood Feud #2) by Patti O'Shea Dr. Sleep (The Shining, #2) by Stephen King The Butterfly Garden (The Collector, #1) by Dot Hutchison [bookc..."

Impressive, Kelley! A lot of great scary there.

message 48: by Michelle (new)

Diana wrote: "I hit such a slump these last two weeks. I don't know if it was because I finished the books I was looking forward to reading but after that I couldn't pick anything else up. It hasn't helped that ..."

Hey, you did a great job, Diana!

message 49: by Michelle (new)

writer... wrote: "Sept - Oct
Frightfall / Gothics /Murders / Mysteries WrapUp

The Little Man From Archangel by Georges SimenonMurder in the Mews (Hercule Poirot, #18) by Agatha ChristieThe Blue Cross by G.K. Chesterton[bookcover:The..."

Great group of reads! Impressive job. :)

message 50: by Michelle (new)

Elyse wrote: "Wrap-Up
Physical
The Institute by Stephen King The Dark Tower Fall of Gilead by Robin FurthThe Dark Tower Battle of Jericho Hill by Robin Furth Creepshow by Stephen King [bookco..."

Thought I saw some non King books in there. Did you read Duma Key? I thought it was on your list. You did some impressive reading, and I'm sure King would understand you veering off the path a bit. :)

« previous 1