Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/BOTM > BOTM - October 2019 - A Week to be Wicked

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Sep 01, 2019 10:56AM) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
Discussion thread for the October 2019 BOTM. Please remember to use the spoiler tags when necessary! (Please see 'some html is ok' for instructions.)

Happy Reading!

A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2) by Tessa Dare
A Week to Be Wicked

Synopsis:

When a devilish lord and a bluestocking set off on the road to ruin... time is not on their side.

Minerva Highwood, one of Spindle Cove's confirmed spinsters, needs to be in Scotland.

Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne, a rake of the first order, needs to be... anywhere but Spindle Cove.

These unlikely partners have one week to
• fake an elopement
• convince family and friends they're in "love"
• outrun armed robbers
• survive their worst nightmares
• travel four hundred miles without killing each other
All while sharing a very small carriage by day and an even smaller bed by night.

What they don't have time for is their growing attraction. Much less wild passion. And heaven forbid they spend precious hours baring their hearts and souls.

Suddenly one week seems like exactly enough time to find a world of trouble. And maybe... just maybe... love.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 234 comments I would do a reread on this any day. I love the hero and the heroine. I think the hero has that Sebastian from Devil in Winter quality. He knows how to make a girl laugh, among other things...😉

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin | 11 comments I cannot wait to read this one next, although I have got a TBR pile from the library like you wouldn’t believe. I’m hoping to like this one better than I liked the Sarah Maclean book that I can’t think of the name off the top of my head. That book takes place across the country with the two main characters forced to share a carriage and lodgings together and fight off unexpected events (and feelings). I didn’t like the dynamic in that book at ALL! Hope alls well that ends well

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments I’ve had this series on my TBR list for awhile, I’m going to try to get it started so I’ll be ready by October to read book 2. :)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 295 comments This is one of the best historical romances I've read in a while. I loved the banter between Colin and Minerva. Enjoy your reading everyone.

message 6: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Erin wrote: "I cannot wait to read this one next, although I have got a TBR pile from the library like you wouldn’t believe. I’m hoping to like this one better than I liked the Sarah Maclean book that I can’t t..."

Was it this one: The Rogue Not Taken?

I used to really enjoy Maclean’s books...she was an auto buy at one point then I lost my taste for them.

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Chapter One is a masterclass in character introduction, exposition, witty banter, and comic timing. I love Minerva's voice and really admire the virtuosity of Dare's natural-seeming shifts between the narrative present and the past. I'm hooked!

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I like Tessa Dare but was disappointed when I read A Week to Be Wicked a few years ago. Wonder if I would enjoy it more a second time around.

message 9: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments I’m starting tonight

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments I thought this was a fun read. I like both Colin and Min

message 11: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Sam (AMNReader) | 606 comments Mod
Oh might do this one since I'm revisiting 5* books....

message 12: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 123 comments Darbella wrote: "Tammy, did you notice that the Heroine in Do you What to Start a Scandal, Charlotte (Mirerva's sister) story was foreshadowed by[spoilers removed]"

I didn’t even know Charlotte had a book lol

message 13: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Darbella, the links between Week to Wicked and these earlier Dare novels are really interesting. I know it's fairly standard now for romance writers to plan series in which each novel focuses on a different sister, for example, but is Dare unusual in having Piers (from a different Dare series) show up as the romantic hero in Charlotte's book? It makes it sound as if Dare's romances all potentially connect, or at least all take place in the same fictional world. That kind of internal consistency never seemed that important to the romance authors I used to read 30 years ago so I'm intrigued!

message 14: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

I do think it's now common these days to center a series, it's a great shortcut too (for character development etc). Spin offs are not unusual, but I definitely see them way less?

And don't forget Grace Burrowes. Holy Hannah. Her reading order is somewhat bizarre.

Sometimes I'm relieved to have a standalone.

Other authors in queer romance do it too, I think KJC and Cat Sebastian both have done this. I can't always remember the tie ins but both of their more recent f/f books were spin offs i think.

message 15: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Darbella wrote: "Brian, I love when authors do this. It makes the world they creates seem so much more real. Charlotte also played an important role in her other sisters story [book:Beauty and the Blacksmith|175432..."
Darbella, thank you for this--so cool. I will track down some of the authors and novels you mention. (view spoiler) is a must-read for me lol. My context for this kind of storytelling is what happened to superhero comics in the 1960s when Marvel realized they could get readers to buy more comics by switching from the older style of stand-alone stories to integrating their stories into a coherent single universe in which characters developed complicated histories and relationships over time and stories overlapped. I only started noticing this happening in various Harlequins last year (after many years away from the genre)--it is a great marketing gimmick, obviously, but as a reader I also love the fuller illusion of a world with its own history and continuity. (As a soap fan, I love this too.) I will definitely be checking out Rose Gordon's books once I have read of few more of Dare's. The other authors too. Cheers!

message 16: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I do think it's now common these days to center a series, it's a great shortcut too (for character development etc). Spin offs are not unusual, but I definitely see them way less?

And don't forge..."

Thank you, Sam! I will check out Grace Burrowes too. I started a queer romance series that also has a famously convoluted reading order (by Sloane Kennedy) but didn't get hooked enough to really get into the interconnected romances. I just picked up a couple of Cat Sebastians though and am looking forward to those--didn't realize they were constructed this way, but pleased that they are.

I know what you mean about a good standalone. I love a series, but sometimes you just want a beautiful well-constructed complete story!

message 17: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

I hope you like Sebastian, I really love her Turner series and like her overall.

Burrowes is a really unusual author... I'm not sure what I think overall yet, good enough.

And Dare is so much fun. Another hit and miss but really... Always delightful.

message 18: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I hope you like Sebastian, I really love her Turner series and like her overall.

Burrowes is a really unusual author... I'm not sure what I think overall yet, good enough.

And Dare is so much fu..."

I can't wait to get into all of them! I just stumbled across Sebastian on amazon, in large part because of the marvelous covers to her books. And I am really enjoying the current Dare read--it doesn't feel as ambitious or virtuosic as Loretta Chase, but it is funny and extremely appealing all the same.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments Brian wrote: "Darbella, the links between Week to Wicked and these earlier Dare novels are really interesting. I know it's fairly standard now for romance writers to plan series in which each novel focuses on a ..."

If you like this kind of intertwined worlds/world building Lorraine Heath Lorraine Heath is a great author that does this as well. So does Sarah MacLean Sarah MacLean.

message 20: by Rina (new)

Rina | 14 comments I am reading it - love Colin and Minerva, they have a great chemistry.

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 234 comments I love Colin. I love a guy that can make me laugh.

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Melissa wrote: "I love Colin. I love a guy that can make me laugh."

I do too. It seems like Colin's are usually ones that can do that -- examples: Colin Bridgerton in the Bridgerton series & Colin Eversea in the Pennroyal Green series, and of course this Colin.

message 23: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Darbella wrote: "Tammy, did you notice that the Heroine in Do you What to Start a Scandal, Charlotte (Mirerva's sister) story was foreshadowed by[spoilers removed]"

Great catch!

message 24: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Oct 09, 2019 05:16PM) (new)

Brian wrote: "Darbella wrote: "Brian, I love when authors do this. It makes the world they creates seem so much more real. Charlotte also played an important role in her other sisters story "

Caroline Linden also has interconnected series. Her current one has links for her first book (a stand-alone technically), and two other series. It's been fun seeing the links and she is a wonderful writer, a fave of mine.

message 25: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I am going to queue this one up for a re-listen.

message 26: by Brian (last edited Oct 09, 2019 05:38PM) (new)

Brian | 28 comments Brian wrote: "Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I hope you like Sebastian, I really love her Turner series and like her overall.

Burrowes is a really unusual author... I'm not sure what I think overall yet, good enough...."

Thanks for these recs, Desiree. Funnily enough I just happen to be reading Heath's A Scoundrel in Her Bed concurrently with the Tessa Dare for this month! I think Dare is a better writer, but Heath's characters are fun (and I love her cover artist). Will check out MacLean too!

message 27: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Brian wrote: "Darbella wrote: "Brian, I love when authors do this. It makes the world they creates seem so much more real. Charlotte also played an important role in her other sisters story "

[aut..."

Will check her out--thank you!

message 28: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Am really enjoying the (view spoiler) business in Dare. I love that Minerva is an academic/adventurer. Fitting that her name is Minerva too since the "owl of Minerva" symbolizes wisdom/knowledge. Nice touch!

message 29: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Jackson | 5 comments I’ve read this book twice, for one scene in particular! Five stars! Think I’ll queue it up again!

message 30: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I love Colin. I love a guy that can make me laugh."

I do too. It seems like Colin's are usually ones that can do that -- examples: Colin Bridgerton in the Bridgerton series & Colin..."

Get outta my brain. I now have this weird bias...

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 234 comments Minerva needs a light hearted man to make her laugh.

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I love Colin. I love a guy that can make me laugh."

I do too. It seems like Colin's are usually ones that can do that -- examples: Colin Bridgerton in ..."

LOL - sorry, not sorry. Welcome to the club!

message 33: by Petra (new)

Petra | 94 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Melissa wrote: "I love Colin. I love a guy that can make me laugh."

I do too. It seems like Colin's are usually ones that can do that -- exampl..."

I loved everything about Colin. What a great developed character. The only and really the only thing, I didn’t like about him was his name. To me the name Colin is pretty boring, middle of the road kind of name. The whole time read this book I kept thinking “I wish she changed his name” maybe it reminded me of Colin Firth who did a great job in “Pride and Prejudice” but I think as a person, Colin is touch on a boring side as a person. Definitely not like Colin in this book.

message 34: by Rhonda (new)

Rhonda Jackson | 5 comments Colin and Minerva discussing math! Can’t stop laughing out loud!😂

message 35: by Petra (new)

Petra | 94 comments Hi Darbella
I thought it was wonderful what Tessa Dare did with how Colin called Minerva. It was all revealed later. Just genius. I enjoyed this book so much as well
Darbella wrote: "Finished: I love that while they were making out all the rock talk about his anatomy.....all in the name of science. hehe

Also, I loved that they [spoilers removed]

I enjoyed Minerva and Colin'..."

message 36: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Minerva and Colin are such a witty, hilarious couple. I am loving this book (currently in Chapter 17 among the bluebells). What stands out to me most so far is just what a brilliant writer Dare is. The dialogue is obviously wonderful, but the image patterns are developed like elaborate poetic conceits--she is just such a meticulous craftswoman when it comes to organizing the imagery (I'm thinking of the "looking at the ground" versus "looking at the sky" conversation between the couple on pages 184-85). She is really a literary genre writer, which is my favorite kind of writing!

message 37: by Sam (AMNReader) (last edited Oct 20, 2019 04:49PM) (new)

I cannot believe I don't have my hold copy yet! It's killing me!!

ETA 9 min later!! I got it now, SORRY for the bad timing

message 38: by Petra (new)

Petra | 94 comments Sam - lol you just needed to mention it to us sooner :)

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 109 comments Just started this yesterday, had to read the first one in the series. I love that though Colin knows her name he’s always calling her the wrong name.

message 40: by Sam (AMNReader) (last edited Oct 21, 2019 03:31AM) (new)

I'm constantly going on about characters with vulnerability being a key to me for a great Romance. This is no exception, it's fun to have as a reread so when Min asks Colin how he sleeps at night and he responds "I don't" it's heartbreaking.

I also adore the sensitive "rake" who appreciates women, and love the first exchange in chapter 1. Colin is such a quick, natural character to me, I'm not sure how else I can put that.

I equally adore Min for her passion and awkwardness.

message 41: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

At ch 9:
Re names: I find it ridiculous that (view spoiler)

message 42: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Sam (AMNReader) wrote: "I'm constantly going on about characters with vulnerability being a key to me for a great Romance. This is no exception, it's fun to have as a reread so when Min asks Colin how he sleeps at night a..."

I totally agree with Sam about the importance of vulnerability for great romance, and I'm always interested in how authors pair emotional vulnerability with more general "Achilles' heels." How common is the (view spoiler) trope in historical romance, for example? I encountered it in a Janice Maynard novel last year, but I especially love the way Dare develops it with Colin.

message 43: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Darbella wrote: "Sam, I loved it that he messed around with her name. I found it charming that he did use it correctly when it mattered the most.
However, I do like quirky things like that, but I can see where it ..."

I like it too, my point was Minerva missing that he knows her name is what I found hard to believe. I agree it's a mechanism to show when he's being (view spoiler)

message 44: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Darbella wrote: "Brian, might I suggest Always to Remember (western historical romance). Always to Remember That hero was one vulnerable/beta guy.
Sam, I thought she did catch on eventually and start..."

Oh I'm sure she does, but not yet. She just said he can't be bothered to remember past the first initial now during this scene!

Brian- I think I've read other claustrophobic heroes, but I actually think I've read more heroes in Histrom that can't be touched than anything else, usually due to torture or abuse...I find Colin's more compelling in a lot of ways because he's grounded from a young age in love but then ends up in a sense with nothing to lose. And a little lost. In other words, he really makes sense to me... Frankly, not all of Dare's characters do IMO

message 45: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Darbella, thank you for the rec...I will check it out. Am currently reading Scouldrel in Her Bed also by Heath, so how about that!

Sam, that is interesting about the hero's vulnerability being signalled through inability to be touched dur to abuse. I suppose that conceit keeps their suffering squarely in a classic male "heroic" domain of war or intrigue, but I am enjoying what Dare is doing here. I find Colin very plausible too.

message 46: by Petra (new)

Petra | 94 comments Darnell’s I’m going to check out this book you’ve mentioned. I love beta heros

message 47: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Brian wrote: "Darbella, thank you for the rec...I will check it out. Am currently reading Scouldrel in Her Bed also by Heath, so how about that!

Sam, that is interesting about the hero's vulnerability being sig..."

Totally agree... The reason I loved Anthony Bridgerton's (The Viscount Who Loved Me) fear of bees. It's a different recipe! PTSD gets done A LOT.

message 48: by Brian (new)

Brian | 28 comments Fear of bees lol! There must be so many unexplored phobias for romance heroes. Where is my copy of the DSM-V??

message 49: by Sam (AMNReader) (new)

Well, I finished. In regular Sam fashion--totally carried away. Loved it just as well this time around and appreciate so much in this book!

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I just started the audio — great discussion all!

« previous 1