Start by marking “Always to Remember” as Want to Read:
Always to Remember

Always to Remember

After refusing to fight for the Confederacy, Clayton was spurned by everyone in his hometown of Cedar Grove. To Meg, who lost her husbands and brothers in the war, Clay's presence was a constant offense. As punishment, Meg commissioned Clay to create a memorial for the town's war heroes. But as she spent months watching him, Meg's feelings began to change.
Published February 1st 1996 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Always to Remember, please sign up.
Kristy Moore He's the same age as Kirk, so 20. He's 25 when Chapter One opens up, and Meg is about 2 years younger. She married Kirk when she was 17 and he 19, and…moreHe's the same age as Kirk, so 20. He's 25 when Chapter One opens up, and Meg is about 2 years younger. She married Kirk when she was 17 and he 19, and Kirk went to war a year later.(less)

Start your review of Always to Remember
Sophie ♥
Dec 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Historical romance readers, particularly Lorraine Heath fans
Rate: 5 BRIGHT AND SHINY STARS ☆☆☆☆☆

Lorraine Heath just blew me away with this book! I never would have imagined I'd enjoy this one so much since it's one of her earlier books and not as acclaimed as the Texas Trilogy and her newer books. But from the very beginning this book had me connecting emotionally with the characters and the story.

After refusing to fight for the Confederacy, Clayton was spurned by everyone in his hometown of Cedar Grove. To Meg, who lost her husband and brothers in the
Julianna
Mar 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Sweet Historical Romance
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

After finishing Always to Remember, I was left with a sense of almost sheer perfection. This unique book is far more than a mere romance. It is a morality tale of a man making a stand for what he believes, and facing the scorn of an entire town because of it. This story asks and in my opinion, answers quite well the difficult question, What truly constitutes courage? It is about love and hate. It is about true friendship. It is about loyalty to one's convictions.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
Holy shit, this book.

I loved this. It wasn't quite my idea of perfection, mind, so four stars instead of five, but it is really quite good. The reader is absolutely disgusted by Meg from the beginning, but that's purposeful. Clay is...wow. Clay. What can I say about Clay? He's a man who withstood imprisonment and torture (physical and psychological) because he refused to dishonor his beliefs. Conscientious objectors have always been castigated in society as cowards because most people don't
Al George
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments

Lorraine Heath, where have you been all my life? Have I been living under a rock? I mean, I've read a few of your books - When the Duke Was Wicked chief among them. But in truth, I haven't much recall. Kinda like one regency flowing in to another, if you know what I mean.

But man alive, your Texas books. Hoooeeee (does that sound particularly Texified?). These books are straight up killers. I'm in love with your Texas heroes. There I
Misfit
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: virgin-hero
"I will not take up arms against my fellow man."

"I didnt believe we should fight the Northern states, and yet, I could not in all good conscience take up arms against the South, my home, and my friends. But more than that, I would not fight because I believe its a sin against God to kill another man."

When Texas joined with the rest of the Confederate states, all the young men of Cedar Grove were ready and willing to join the glorious cause. All that is, except for Clayton Holland, who refused
Sam (AMNReader)
22% - I call it.

I'm too heroine centric and she's not going to be my jam. The hero is compelling enough, but it really seems like all the growth for her will be because he's such a better person than her...and I can't say
anything about the quote/paragraph breaks because I'm too irritated (chalk me up as someone who'd rather read a book w/o quotation marks than this)

I think I threw up my hands when the heroine picked a white piece of marble, saying it's "pure and white like the glorious Cause,"
Beanbag Love
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the last of my Lorraine Heath Texas story backlist and it was a very good read. A strong 4.5, I'd say.

For a romance novel it's very thought provoking. I might have been bothered by the heroine, but Heath humanized her and invited empathy. I had to wonder how I would feel in the same circumstances, knowing only the little she could know. The story touches heavily on the irrationality of grief and the variety of ways that people can show courage. I thought about it long after I turned the
[̲̅ρ̲̅υ̲̅и̲̅y̲̅α̲̅]
Choko
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was one of the most heart-wrenching, beautiful and touching book I have read in a long time!!!! I cried, smiled and my soul was simultaneously hurt and uplifted by the study of the human spirit in the post-civil war American south... I thought I was to read another romance novel, but it turned out to be a roller-coaster of emotional discovery written in a deceptively simple way, slow and thick as molasses, but just as sweet and overwhelming... I have always liked Lorraine Heath's ...more
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
It could be that I'm in my... hormonal period... but this book really made me feel some strong emotions and sniffle more than a few times.

One reviewer marked this on the "beta-hero" shelf, but I have to disagree. Clay is in no way beta. He's pure, alpha man. Just because he's a pacifist doesn't mean he's not alpha. He knows exactly what he wants, exactly what he believes in, and he never wavers from that. He's brave enough to stand for what he believes in after everything ugly and cruel people
Keri
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am going to try and do justice about how much a I loved this book. I knew going in with the synopsis on the back that this was going to be a tough book to read. It was, but it was also beautiful as well as painful. I read the entire thing in one sitting and had a big piece of glass in my throat for most of it and tears welling up more than once. Clay didn't want to fight for the Confederacy and he didn't believe in slavery, but he did whole-heartedly support his fellow man. He just didn't want ...more
Dawn
5 stars hands down.

First let me clarify that this book is 336 pages, NOT 100 pages as is noted on both GR and Amazon. I did email Amazon to make them aware of this error.

A summary of the story:

The period is just after the Civil War, and takes place in a small Texas town. The hero (Clay) is shunned by all, branded a coward who refused to fight in the war. His choice was a moral one, because he refused to kill people for his beliefs.

When the towns men depart for war, Clay is taken by the army and
Leona
Stopped about halfway through. Could not get past the heroine. She just went on and on. Rinse, lather, spin.

I do not get all the rave reviews.
Jujubee
Review to come...because tonight I have no words to adequately express all the feels that Clay and Meg's poignant and gut-wrenching journey unexpectedly wrought.
One thing is clear. There is no winner in war.
EDIT UPDATE:
Okay. It's been a week.
I think I'm ready to share my thoughts on this story.
First off, let's remember that this story was written in 1996. So don't judge it by the dated bodice ripper cover-style OR by the homey, front porch warm-and-fuzzy cover-style (depending on which
Readdiction
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wish I could give justice to how perfect this story is. I cried and I laughed and when the story came to an end, I refused to let go of the characters who became so real to me.
Clayton suffers from the town's scorn; he's labeled as a deserter because he refused to fight when all the able men left for war. It is awesome to see how strong he is in braving every insult and how courageous of him to maintain his eloquent silence. He is one of the most memorable and strongest heroes I have ever read.
Linda
SuperWendy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. Emotional, heartfelt, a real gut-puncher. It took me on a roller coaster in the best possible way.
Birjis
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, western
Clay Holland is a passivist. Refusing to fight in the Civil War, he was branded a deserter, literally, and was beaten, starved, and imprisoned. He's now returned home to his 3 brothers and a town which dispises him. Meg Warner, his friend's widow, is one of the people who despises him most. She hates the fact that her husband was killed in the same war that Clay refused to fight in and enlists his help to carve a memorial for the fallen soldiers. She hopes to elicit guilt, remorse, and feelings ...more
Linds
This romance is really sweet and beautiful.

Clay is a different type of romantic hero, and you just fall in love with him. He's shy, quiet, thoughtful, and intense.

Clay wouldn't go off to fight in the Civil War because he was against slavery and he wouldn't kill anybody else. He was imprisoned and tortured but wouldn't give in to what he believed in.

When he gets back to his small Texas town he is shunned by everyone in the town save his little brothers. Everybody hates him and brands him a
Monika
5 courage stars

Within the shadows of honor, courage often walks in silence.

I couldn't put the right words to describe how deeply I was touched by this book.
This is one of the best book I ever read.
What is coward and what is courage?
It took a great man to stand and fight for what he believes.
Clayton Holland is one of the bravest silent hero. He's not usual but he's so special.
Leea
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I should probably give this book 5 stars but it exhausted me too much. I have never seen a female lead that i've hated more than Meg. Her hatred and want for revenge against Clay was almost too much to read at times. Always to Remember is painful, beautiful and heartbreaking. Heath has a way with words.
TJ
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a beautifully touching, poignantly written story! It is both heartbreaking and inspiring at the same time. And, it accomplished this without huge theatrics. It is, instead a quiet, elegantly crafted book the deepens the emotion and tears at the heartstrings by showing honor amidst every day life and against the worst of prejudice and revenge.
Jacqueline J
Story of man who had been a conscientious objector during the Civil War. This story takes place a few years after the war. The heroine despises him but gets to know him while he works on a stone statue that she has commissioned for the town's dead soldiers. Quite angsty. A good read.
❆ Crystal ❆
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 tearful stars. I'm not sure I've ever cried so much reading a book. It was a bleeding heart story for sure. I'm glad I read it... Clay was so wonderful... he was such a great character. He came alive for me in this book and I'll remember him always.
sraxe
I completely loved it (mostly). Clay is such a treasure and his twin brothers are a pair of gems, too. Even with the townspeople being just really crap people overall (I felt especially resentful towards Kirk's father near the end considering his son having been best friends with Clay) and not at all deserving of Clay's presence, I think the book deserves a reading if only because of Clay and the interactions between the twins and anyone and everyone else.

I was ready to give this book five stars
Maqluba
It was missing that IT factor for me. I felt like I was all pro-hero but I didn't understand the heroine most of the time. I thought we missed a lot of her emotional changes from hating to liking the hero-- the change was too severe for me. I feel like we were told rather than shown a lot of the emotional stuff and we missed out on a lot of background things. It's hard to explain but I just had to say it... I'm really disappointed because I've really enjoyed Sweet Lullaby and I thought we might ...more
Jackie C
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully written heart aching read. My god Clay just broke my heart! Great story telling although tear jerking at times ends with a HEA!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Simple Jess (Marrying Stone, #2)
  • His Secondhand Wife (The Copper Creek Brides #2)
  • Without Words
  • Morning Glory
  • Beautiful Bad Man (Sutton Family, #1)
  • The Texan's Wager (Wife Lottery, #1)
  • The Wives of Bowie Stone
  • The Promise of Jenny Jones
  • Annie's Song
  • Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold
  • Dancing on Coals
  • Hummingbird
  • When a Texan Gambles (Wife Lottery, #2)
  • Silver Lining
  • Cherish
  • Sing My Name
  • A Texan's Luck (Wife Lottery, #3)
  • Courting Miss Hattie
Also writes Young Adult under Rachel Hawthorne, Jade Parker, and with her son as J.A. London)

Lorraine Heath has always had a soft spot for emotional love stories. No doubt because growing up, watching movies with her mom, she was taught that the best movies "won't half make you cry."

She is the daughter of a British beauty (her mom won second place in a beauty contest sponsored by Max Factor®

Related Articles

Abby Jimenez has always had a knack for diving into new passion projects. She started her bakery, Nadia Cakes, after taking a cake decorating class...
“Within the shadows of honor, courage often walks in silence.

-Engraved on the monument Clay built”
19 likes
“If he wasn't angry, he certainly did a good imitation. His voice was clipped and as hard as stone. She wrung her hands together. "I love you. Clay."
"No, you don't."
Meg felt as though he'd just slapped her. "Yes, I do. When you leave this town, I'll go with you."
Narrowing his eyes, he studied her. "Will you marry me?"
"Yes."
"Will you give me children?"
"If I can. Kirk and I were never able to conceive, but if I can have children, I want to have yours."
"In this town that we move to, wherever it is, will you walk down the street with me?"
"Of course."
"Holding my hand?"
"Yes."
"And the hands of my children?"
"Yes."
He unfolded his arms and took a step toward her. She wanted to fling herself into his embrace, but something hard in his eyes stopped her.
"And what happens, Mrs. Warner, when someone you know rides through town and points at me and calls me a yellow-bellied coward? What will you do then? Will you let go of my hand and take my children to the other side of the street? Will you pretend that you haven't kissed me, that you haven't lain with me beneath the stars?" With disgust marring his features, he turned away. "You think I'm a coward. Go home."
"I don't think that. I love you."
He spun around. "You don't believe in that love, you don't believe in me."
"Yes, I do."
He stalked toward her. She backed into the corner and bent her head to meet his infuriated gaze.
"How strongly do you believe in our love?" he asked, his voice ominously low. "If they threatened to strip off your clothes unless you denied our love, would you deny our love?"
He gave her no chance to respond, but continued on, his voice growing deeper and more ragged, as though he were dredging up events from the past.
"If they wouldn't let you sleep until you denied our love, would you deny our love so you could lay your head on a pillow?
"If they stabbed a bayonet into your backside every time your eyes drifted closed, would you deny our love so your flesh wouldn't be pierced?
"If they applied a hot brand to your flesh until you screamed in agony, would you deny our love so they'd take away the iron?
"If they placed you before a firing squad, would you say you didn't love me so they wouldn't shoot you?"
He stepped back and plowed his hands through his hair. "You think I'm a coward. You don't think I have the courage to stand beside you and risk the anger of your father. I'd die before I turned away from anyone or anything I believed in. You won't even walk by my side."
He looked the way she imagined soldiers who had lost a battle probably looked: weary, tired of the fight, disillusioned.
"You don't believe in me," he said quietly. "How can you believe in our love?”
16 likes