What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Owl Service
This topic is about The Owl Service
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 3 books! help please =) [s]

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Strawberrii_xx | 8 comments i read a few books back when i was in primary school, and i enjoyed each one but cant remember the names!

1- im sure it was called "the owlery" but cant seem to find it.. it was about a brother and sister and they go to live in some huge house like a castle with either their uncle and aunt, or father and stepmum (cant remember). they find a wall with etchings on it and somehow it leads to an attic in which they find plates and i think paper owls.. =S its like a fantasy/magical book, aimed at like 9+ year olds..

2- a book about this boy who lives in a boarding school, but hes like the only one and he feels lonely. at the start of the book he writes im lonely on the window (i rmmbr tht part!) and then he manages to escape, he works in sewers and lives with a kind lady, he has a friend whos a girl and she works in the mills. again aimed at 9+year olds.

3- i cnt rmmbr much of this.. i do remeber one part where the main character(a young boy) gets tied up and gagged and whistles through his nose for his parrot to rescue him.. i think theres a character in this book called aravis cammileri...

thnx.

message 2: by bup (new)

bup | 84 comments When were you in primary school?

Strawberrii_xx | 8 comments like about 6 years ago... hmmm..

message 4: by Sherri (new)

Sherri | 74 comments The first book sounds like "The Owl Service" by Alan Garner. Sorry I don't know the others.

Strawberrii_xx | 8 comments Sherri wrote: "The first book sounds like "The Owl Service" by Alan Garner. Sorry I don't know the others."

it is!! thankyouuu!

x

Michelle Mulford | 112 comments The second book might be Midnight is a Place by Joan Aiken.

Strawberrii_xx | 8 comments wowwww!! it is! hahah thanks!!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Stawberrii, So, you're now just looking for the third book you posted?:

3- i cnt rmmbr much of this.. i do remeber one part where the main character(a young boy) gets tied up and gagged and whistles through his nose for his parrot to rescue him.. i think theres a character in this book called aravis cammileri...

Correct?

message 10: by Mir (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mir | 704 comments Dick King-Smith wrote a book called Harry's Mad where a boy inherits a really smart parrot that can do a lot of things. I don't remember if the parrot saves the boy, but I think there was a burglary or kidnapping or something in it.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Strawberrii and Everyone,

This thread is fine but in the future, it would be easier to mark threads as SOLVED! and keep track of what's solved if each thread were limited to looking to find only one book.

Thanks.

message 12: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments I just added the first two found books of this post to the group's bookshelf. I guess the third book has still not been definitively solved. I wasn't allowed to send Strawberrii a message. It seemed a shame to add this thread to the abandoned folder when it's 3/4 solved.

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Needleroozer wrote: "It seemed a shame to add this thread to the abandoned folder when it's 3/4 solved. "

Well, It's 2 1/2 years old. I'm thinking we should move it to abandoned. The two shelved books will always link back to this thread. And some members here peruse the abandoned thread to see if they can figure out the books. Thoughts? I don't think we should leave it clogging up unsolved.

And I reiterate that it's highly recommended to ask for one book per thread. Thanks everybody!

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) (I vote for putting it in abandoned.)

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Me too. Doing it now.

Any thread with NO post for 2 years or more is going there.

Anybody feel free to alert the mods to these threads as you find them.

Thanks.

message 16: by Bontle (new)

Bontle Scheppers | 1 comments Hey guys I'm new to this. I'm looking for a book I read about six years ago. Sorry I don't have a lot of details but I'll do my best. The book was about this little girl (her name was Martha, Marsha, something like that) who had a baby sister. Her parents gave all the attention to the baby and not to Martha(?). I don't know the rest there should be about 2 books in this sequel I loved this books so much pleeeaaase if you know it any suggestions will do. The book is small, with peach stripes on it(I know what it looks like but not the title and author)I think the title had the words "naughty Martha;bored"... so any suggestions and I will be very happy thanks :) P.S.-it was kinda a picture book- the girl had freckles and curly, short red hair(I'm sure)

message 17: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38241 comments Mod
Bontle wrote: "Hey guys I'm new to this. I'm looking for a book I read about six years ago. Sorry I don't have a lot of details but I'll do my best. The book was about this little girl (her name was Martha, Marsh..."

Bontle, you need to start a new thread otherwise your request will get completely lost.