The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

OLD TASK HELP THREADS > Sam's topic

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) does The Awakening and The Struggle does this count, my library has the title as The vampire diaries. The awakening and the struggle / L.J. Smith .

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments The word has to be in the individual book's title. Series titles like The Vampire Diaries, The Southern Vampire Mysteries, and The Vampire Chronicles do not count.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 131 comments Does Frankenstein count? I know it's his name, but Frankenstein also seems like a common monster at this point so thought it worth asking! (picture Family Feud category of Halloween monsters - Dracula and Frankenstein could definitely be up there along with witches and ghosts etc)

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments You know, I almost added this line to the end of my challenge: "...and you can read Frankenstein."

I decided not to because I didn't want the challenge to be about specific, famous monsters like Dracula and Frankenstein.

Plus, Dr. Frankenstein's creation wasn't a monster...he was a Creature. ;)

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily | 131 comments Ah well! I've been considering reading that for my one-word book but haven't committed! Plenty of other monster books out there! Fun task! Thanks!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Emily wrote: "Ah well! I've been considering reading that for my one-word book but haven't committed! Plenty of other monster books out there! Fun task! Thanks! "

It'll also work as a "name" for Cait or as sci-fi.

message 7: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments I really want to read Mr. Darcy, Vampyre if I can get hold of a copy, so thanks for the task Sam!

message 8: by Liz M (last edited Aug 29, 2009 10:28AM) (new)

Liz M Can demons be considered monsters (or a variation of devil)?

I've been wanting to read The Devils but the title of the translation I prefer is Demons .

(Yes, I can fit it into other challenges, but if I'm reading a 700+ page book, I'd be more motivated if it was worth 25 points.)

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Liz wrote: "Can demons be considered monsters (or a variation of devil)?

I've been wanting to read The Devils but the title of the translation I prefer is Demons.

(Yes, I can fi..."

Since it's still in print as The Devils, it's okay with me. Just be sure to refer to it as such when you claim the points for my challenge.

message 10: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather Is "ghost" a valid choice? How about "monster"?

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Greyweather wrote: "Is "ghost" a valid choice? How about "monster"?"

No, just the five words (or their variations) that I listed.

message 12: by Greyweather (last edited Aug 29, 2009 11:33AM) (new)

Greyweather Devil:
Printer's Devil by Stona Fitch
The Devil You Know by by Mike Carey
Devil's Cape by by Rob Rogers
The Devils in the Details by James P. Blaylock and Tim Powers
Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold
The Devil's Alphabet by by Daryl Gregory

Witch:
Good Omens - The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis

Vampire:
Will the Vampire People Please Leave the Lobby? by Allyson Beatrice

Zombie:
The Zombie Survival - Guide Complete Protection From the Living Dead by by Max Brooks

message 13: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Great task, Sam. I was so excited when I realized that Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold would work for this task! I'll probably read that one since I already own it, but I'll use Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates as my backup.

message 14: by Sam (last edited Aug 29, 2009 12:09PM) (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Cait wrote: "Great task, Sam. I was so excited when I realized that Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold would work for this task! I'll probably read that one since I already own it, but I'll ..."

Zombie is one of few books I've read that I've had an extremely strong feeling of physical disgust towards. It made me physically ill...I owned the book and had to get rid of it as soon as I finished reading it. You know, just FYI.

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Wicked Witch & Curse does this work? if not I have another book to check LOL

I did a search on my library website, some obivious choices, the lion, the witch, the wardrobe, many books on salem witch trials

message 16: by Cait (new)

Cait Poytress (caitertot) | 662 comments Yeah... I don't know if I want to go there. Thanks for the heads up Sam. Carter it is.

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Teresa wrote: "Wicked Witch & Curse does this work? if not I have another book to check LOL

I did a search on my library website, some obivious choices, the lion, the witch, the wardrobe, man..."

That's fine.

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) Sam wrote: "Teresa wrote: "Wicked Witch & Curse does this work? if not I have another book to check LOL

I did a search on my library website, some obivious choices, the lion, the witch, the ..."

YEAH : ) off to request it, my library is sure busy this weekend, I request all my books from them.

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) i found over 2,000 with witch in the title by searching the library catalog under subject witch

message 21: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments Okay, for those who might know about this: I can get my hands on two vampire books, Vampire Kisses and Vampire Academy. Which one should I go for? Im leaning toward Vampire Academy.

message 22: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Bonnie wrote: "Okay, for those who might know about this: I can get my hands on two vampire books, Vampire Kisses and Vampire Academy. Which one should I go for? Im leaning toward Vamp..."

I've heard Vampire Academy is pretty good, I haven't gotten to read it yet though. I'm leaning towards that one myself... or Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat.

message 23: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 29, 2009 08:27PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Nicki wrote: "I really want to read Mr. Darcy, Vampyre if I can get hold of a copy, so thanks for the task Sam!"

WHAT?!? First, Amanda Grange writes Mr. Darcy's Diary (which I really liked, actually), and now she's turning him into a VAMPIRE??? Make up your MIND, woman! Do you think he's a GOOD GUY or a BAD GUY?? ;)

PS - She has a whole line of diaries from Jane Austen's heroes...
PPS - Mr. Darcy, Vampyre sounds AWESOME!

message 24: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Bonnie wrote: "Okay, for those who might know about this: I can get my hands on two vampire books, Vampire Kisses and Vampire Academy. Which one should I go for? I'm leaning toward Vampire Academy."

Go for Vampire Academy. I haven't read it, but Vampire Kisses is mediocre... If I weren't 9th in line at the library for the single copy of Vampire Academy, it would be my pick!

Also, if there are any romance fans out there, there are about 4 million romance novels with "Devil" in the title, including Stephanie Lauren's first Cynster Novel, Devil's Bride and the new Sabrina Jeffries, Don't Bargain with the Devil, which I happen to already have checked out from the library. How convenient!

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments It seems like there's an Austen-related book for every task! I was going to do Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but now Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is sounding pretty tempting...

message 26: by Jo (new)

Jo I might reread some of The little Vampire books, I loved those as a kid. Or perhaps The Last Vampire.

message 27: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (Babies, Books, and Beyond) (mamamunky) | 172 comments Bonnie wrote: "Okay, for those who might know about this: I can get my hands on two vampire books, Vampire Kisses and Vampire Academy. Which one should I go for? Im leaning toward Vamp..."

The Vampire Lestat is the best of Anne Rice's books, in my humble opinion.

message 28: by Nicki (last edited Aug 30, 2009 10:14AM) (new)

Nicki (luluminstrel) | 285 comments Kristina wrote: "It seems like there's an Austen-related book for every task! I was going to do Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but now Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is sounding pretty tempting..."

One day there will be an Austen-related book for every task...

I have a couple of Stephanie Barron books for the prepositions task, Carrie Bebris for my addition bit of the maths task, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for the two authors, Mr Darcy's Diary for three words, and Mr. Darcy, Vampyre for this one!

Sara - Maybe he's a good vampire?! I want to read all those Amanada Grange books. They have good reviews :)

P.S. I've just been browing Amazon and Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters is due out in Sept! LOL

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandaroby) | 30 comments Sam, will a book with Vampire in the subtitle work? I'm specifically thinking of "In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires". My husband just got it off of PaperbackSwap, and it would be awesome to use that for the challenge.

Thanks!

Amanda

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Amanda wrote: "Sam, will a book with Vampire in the subtitle work? I'm specifically thinking of "In Search of Dracula: The History of Dracula and Vampires". My husband just got it off of PaperbackSwap, and it wou..."

No problem...that'll work.

message 31: by Katie (new)

Katie (katieisallbooked) | 263 comments If anyone is looking for YA, I just finished The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen and would highly recommend it.

message 32: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 680 comments Katie wrote: "If anyone is looking for YA, I just finished The Devil's Arithmetic by Jane Yolen and would highly recommend it."

Arithmetic is one of my words from the Random Word Generator, so I may just check it out. Thanks!

message 33: by Sara ♥ (last edited Aug 30, 2009 08:11PM) (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1136 comments Nicki wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Sara - Maybe he's a good vampire?! I want to read all those Amanada Grange books. They have good reviews :) "

If Edward can be good, I'M POSITIVE Mr. Darcy can be, too!! ;) I've read Mr. Darcy's Diary and Capt. Wentworth's Diary... They were WAY cute!

message 34: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (smalltowncdn) | 0 comments Oh yay, a challenge I can read The Reformed Vampire Support Group for! It looks hilarious, and will hopefully be a good antidote to all the Twilight-clones that are taking over the bookstore I work in.

message 35: by Beth (new)

Beth | 665 comments I love tasks that let me use an unread book I have sitting on the bookshelf down in my basement (so does my husband). This is a good one. :)

message 36: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments Would the Sense and Sensibility & Sea Monsters work as a MONSTER for Monster fest? :P

If not, I have a hilarious series to re-read. Katie MacAlister does a bunch of Vampire romance-comedy books. ^.^

message 37: by Bonnie (last edited Sep 01, 2009 07:50PM) (new)

Bonnie | 111 comments For those interested in YA, I just finished Vampire Academy and really liked it. It is much better written than the Gossip Girl/Twilight clone it appears to be on the surface.

Thanks for this task, Sam! Without it, I'd probably have continued ignoring the Vampire Academy series.

message 38: by Candace (new)

Candace (candacerenee) Bonnie wrote: "For those interested in YA, I just finished Vampire Academy and really liked it. It is much better written than the Gossip Girl/Twilight clone it appears to be on the surface."

Good! I'm reading this one for this task, but I hadn't heard too much about it, but Bonnie, you have me convinced. I'll stick with it as my choice!

message 39: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (sureshot26) | 771 comments From my lists (TBR and read):

The Devil in Buenos Aires - Lily Powell
The Devil's Wind - Richard Rayner
Chasing the Devil's Tail - David Fulmer
The Devil of Nanking - Mo Hayder
Death in the Devil's Acre - Anne Perry
Death and the Devil - Frank Schatzing
The Devil's Gentleman - Harold Schechter
The Devil's Picnic - Taras Grescoe
Lie Down with the Devil - Linda Barnes
When the Devil Holds the Candle - Karin Fossum
The Devil in the White City - Erik Larson
Devil May Care - Sebastian Faulks
Devil's Garden - Ace Atkins
The Devil's Company - David Liss

Steel Witches - Patrick Lennon
Dead Witch Walking - Kim Harrison

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - Seth Grahame-Smith

message 40: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Tanja wrote: "Would the Sense and Sensibility & Sea Monsters work as a MONSTER for Monster fest? :P

If not, I have a hilarious series to re-read. Katie MacAlister does a bunch of Vampire romance-comedy books...."

Sorry for the wait...didn't see the update notice on this thread. I'm afraid it won't work...it has to be one of the five "monsters" I mentioned.

Although...you should find a place to fit it elsewhere in the challenge and tell me if it's better than P&P&Z.

message 41: by Usako (new)

Usako (bbmeltdown) | 1341 comments I'm gonna read S&S&SM to see if it has sea travels. If not, may shove it into Erin's ABC task. Cause I *AM* gonna read it. Hehehehee.

Gonna stick to Katie MacAllister's novels. Have them on hand and it's a quick read. Unless I spot a more humorous one on the Halloween Display when I hit the bookstore Friday.

message 42: by Bridgit (last edited Sep 04, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Bridgit | 515 comments I HIGHLY recommend Kim Harrison's book for this challenge. It starts with Dead Witch Walking and is one of my absolute favorite series of all time.

message 43: by Kay (new)

Kay (neenamara) | 74 comments Bridgit wrote: "I HIGHLY recommend Kim Harrison's book for this challenge. It starts with Dead Witch Walking and is one of my absolute favorite series of all time. "

I just got Dead Witch Walking for this task! I tried to read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies for the second time and just couldn't do it. I wanted to like it so badly but it's just so painfully awful. And yet not awful enough to be Mystery Science Theater type awful/awesome...

message 44: by Greyweather (new)

Greyweather I ended up settling on The Patriot Witch by C.C. Finlay for this one.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) I'm not sure if this would work or not since it's not one of your "monster" words, but would a book with the word "Fae" in it count? Such as Faefever?

Fae can be demons, pagan deities, etc.

message 46: by Sam (new)

Sam (archieleach9) | 275 comments Amy wrote: "I'm not sure if this would work or not since it's not one of your "monster" words, but would a book with the word "Fae" in it count? Such as Faefever?

Fae can be demons, pagan deiti..."

It has to have one of the words (or a variation thereof) stipulated in the title--Devil, Witch, Vampire, Zombie, Or Werewolf--so that won't work.

message 47: by Amy (new)

Amy (signgirlamy) Okay, thanks :)