Start by marking “The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)

The Devil Wears Prada

(The Devil Wears Prada #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  726,128 Ratings  ·  8,477 Reviews
A delightfully dishy novel about the all-time most impossible boss in the history of impossible bosses.
Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job “a million girls would die for.” Hired as the assistant to Miranda Priestly, the high-profile, fabulously successful editor of "Runway "magazine, Andrea finds herself in an office that shouts "Prada! Arm
Published May 30th 2006 by Anchor Books (first published May 31st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil Wears Prada, please sign up.
Veronica Don"t waste your time. The movie was much better with stronger characters and a more robust story. Also the visuals of the fashion industry are…moreDon"t waste your time. The movie was much better with stronger characters and a more robust story. Also the visuals of the fashion industry are beautiful in the movie.(less)
Meghana Not YA per se. The main character is 23 and the book does not contain any material that would be inappropriate for YA.

Darth J
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it

In Defense of Miranda Priestly
The premise of this novel as most know it is OMG, my boss is a total dragon lady!!!, but I think that is both an unfair assumption and oversimplification. Little background is given of the title character other than she grew up in a lower class family, changed her name, and worked her way up the corporate ladder to her current position as editor-in-chief. The audience isn’t given much more than that to round out her character, though Meryl Streep gives her
Samantha
Jan 28, 2008 rated it did not like it

God have mercy, I finally finished this horrific book! Honestly, it wasn't so bad, just tedious and repetitive. I picked it because (a) the movie was coming out and (b) I recognized the title as a popular book, albeit a couple years ago. The premise to the book is that a young woman takes a Junior Assistant position at a high-fashion magazine and the She-Devil who runs the show. The movie had the same premise, but that's practically where the similarities end.

Andrea Sachs takes the job, even t

Sep 21, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: chicklit, nytimes
This is one of the only books I have ever read in my entire life where the film actually improved my perception. It took me about three years to read this, and the only reason I ever finished it was because everyone else seemed to think it was so great, I thought I must be missing something.

I am generally bothered by books and films wherein the main character is offered an incredible opportunity, but because they are worried they are sacrificing themselves, they toss it out the window. (I am wi
Miranda Reads
The movie was too good.

Huuuuuuuuge gulf between the book and the film. I kept thinking: maybe the beginning was just slow? Maybe the middle needed a bit more time?
description
Despite all my deep breaths and meditation, I could not stand this book. The main character (Andrea) is so wholly irredeemable that she ruins the book. Sure, she sacrifices her a few years for Miranda (ha! name buddies) Priestly but Andrea whines her way through every little task and I lost all sympathy within the first chapter.

He
Carol
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor-satire
I read this a few years ago, and still remember what a rollicking good ride it was. I was mesmerized by the horror. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. In a good way, that is. I'm sure there's a good way to watch a train wreck if we think about it long enough.

In the interest of full disclosure, I spent several years in what we shall charitably call the fashion industry. So young, insecure, underpaid, working for creative tyrants, living on coffee and celery, and not being able to
Michelle
Oct 29, 2007 rated it it was ok
A woman came up to me while I was reading this book and said, "Oh, how is that book? I've been meaning to read it." I answered, "Um, well, it's kind of fun." She raised her eyebrows at me. "I see." I added, "I wouldn't pay full price for it. I got it on sale for, like, a dollar." She nodded as she began to walk away, "Okay, I know what you're saying."

I can explain more if you still feel like reading this book. Honestly, I won't stop you from reading The Devil Wears Prada, I just don't suggest yo
Lori
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should've skipped the reread.
Lyn
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
“Millions of girls would die for this job”

OK, I know what you’re saying, “you’re that knuckle dragging redneck from Tennessee, what’re YOU doing reading about high fashion in New York and Paris”???

Fair question. I’d say it’s important to read different books, try on diverse genres from talented writers I’ve never explored before, think outside the box. My wife bought the 2006 David Frankel film starring Meryl Streep and I’ve seen it multiple times and liked it. The book seemed interesting, fresh
Jack
Jul 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad, I suppose—especially interesting when compared to the film adaptation, which I'd seen first.

The movie was no great shakes, really, although the cast did a solid job with what they'd been given. Still, I sought out the book because I felt that, as with most film adaptations, a lot of depth had probably been jettisoned, and rightly so, in the translation to the screen. After all, a novel can tackle a lot more than two hours of screen time can.

Imagine my surprise to find that the movie had
Belinda
Jul 25, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE
The only reason I waste words on this piece of trash is that it holds the distinction of being THE WORST BOOK I EVER READ. The title was held previously (for a good 15 years previously) by "The Bridges of Madison County," and it took some DOING to surpass that awfulness.

I could write for three days about how much I hated this book. I still can't believe I finished it, and the only explanation I have is that it was kind of like not being able to look away from a trainwreck. Actually, "trainwreck"
Erica
Oct 14, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one ever
this book blows. it's poorly written, the author uses the same words over and over, characters just do things at random and don't seem to have identifiable personalities of their own. if i was still in 5th grade and decided to write a book about working at a fashion magazine when i'm all grown up, this is what it would be like. i hate that the girl who wrote this is probably a millionaire. i'd like to hit her with a rock. as far as i can figure, it gets one star because she bothered to type it i ...more
Casey
Sep 05, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book was terrible, and I'm someone who enjoys chick lit. The Devil Wears Prada is a roman-a-clef by Lauren Weisberger, a mediocre writer who takes herself too seriously. The plot is just a series of bad decisions made by the novel's unlikeable protagonist Andy Sachs, who thinks the best way to become a writer for the New Yorker is by becoming an assistant at a Vogue style magazine for a year. Andy spends most of the novel whining about her mundane entry-level job and stealing designer cloth ...more
Inge

I’m going to be quite honest here: I saw the movie before I read the book. Several times, in fact. The movie came out in 2006, when I wasn’t a reader yet. The Devil Wears Prada is one of those movies that they play on TV quite regularly, and is one of those movies that I almost always watch when it is. Because it’s a really great and entertaining movie – Anne Hathaway’s, Meryl Streep’s, Stanley Tucci’s and Emily Blunt’s performances are absolutely top notch. So when I saw the book in th
Megan
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i was reading this book at the same time i was working in a very similar environment as andy, the main character. i laughed and cried with her because i could relate to her character so much. miranda liked her perrier placed everyday on a certain side of her desk. my old boss, mehmet, liked his evian room temperature from the bakery across the street. miranda would dump her coat and bags on andy every morning. mehmet would hold out his arms for me to put his YSL coat on and bow his head down for ...more
Alaina Meserole
Reading crime #5000 for the month of January.
I saw the movie first.
I loved the movie.
This is the first time I have read this book.
I didn't like the book.

Before I begin I should say some nice words. While reading this book, I kept picturing the actors/actresses from the movie. It was like re-watching the movie again but in my head. I'd rather watch the movie - it was less painful.

The Devil Wears Prada was not a perfect book. It really wasn't. It was beyond terrible. It had so many flaws that I do
Rebecca McNutt
The Devil Wears Prada (I have yet to see the film adaptation), is a quite bizarre yet creative and comedic book that anyone who has ever worked a lousy job will be able to relate to.
Briar's Reviews
I first read this book in my first year of high school for a book report (we could choose ANY book we want, and I was obsessed with the film version of this novel at the time). Since it's been...well, years...it's about time I finally give this book a review to add it to my collection!

This book was super popular and a sequel has come out (which is currently sitting on my to-read shelves waiting for me to dig into it) in recent years. For those who don't know about the first book in this series,
Megan Johnson
Mar 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I really wasn't that into this book. There were some parts of the book that were great, but mostly it was a VERY slow read and pretty hard to get into.

I think that it didn't help that I had watched the movie multiple times and LOVED it. I had high expectations for this book and it did not deliver!
Cassandra Babino
Jan 26, 2008 rated it did not like it
I kept thinking *THIS WILL BE A GREAT MOVIE* but never a good book. I was really disappointed and on a side note ... when I DID watch the movie I was so disappointed because all I could think was * This would be a GREAT book.
R
Feb 19, 2013 rated it did not like it
It's funny how you forget about a book. I read this when it first came out 10 years ago and thought it was a fast, fluffy read, but nothing else really stuck w/ me. Then, I saw the movie and thought "I know it's been a while, but I really don't remember all this happening" - so, when I saw the book on the charity table, I figured it's only a quid, why not.

Criminey, the things you forget - like what a whiney and generally unlikeable person the main character is. She bitches, she moans and she ess
Adita ✨The Slumbering Insomniac✨
I love these people so much that nothing else but The Devil Wears Prada could make me want to give them bloodied noses.

Nicola
Jun 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well, that was a waste of time. I LOVE the film. It's one of my favourites and I've seen it dozens of times. The book, however, was not even remotely impressive. The dialogue was just so...flat. I felt no emotion in any of the characters and none of them really felt individual to me. I couldn't bring myself to care about any of them and their interactions seemed so stiff and forced. Most of the book is taken up with references to fashion labels, so much so that it was like reading one big giant ...more
Syndi
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oh I love this chick lit. I enjoy the movie. I can relate to the characters. Having a nightmare boss who demands everything must be ready for her, is just funny as hell.

This is the ultimate chick lit.
Jamie
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Where to start with this one! Seldom have I ever read a book that actually made my blood boil with rage, but this did it! I can, unfortunately, relate to the utter misery that Andy faces while at Runway, while my own clearly does not amount to her cataclysmic year of agony.

Having seen the movie well over 20 times, I found the book to be very little like the movie in most regards. The book is far more depressing, but far more real, and thus far more enjoyable. If you've never read this book, do s
Lau
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quienes hayan tenido jefes tiranos
Llegué al libro por haber visto la película (sino no se hasta qué punto me hubiese interesado por él), y aunque esperaba que se parecieran, terminaron siendo dos historias muy diferentes. Se mantiene la idea básica de la jefa déspota, pero nada más.

El argumento es bastante sencillo, ya que gira en torno al trabajo de la protagonista y las relaciones y emociones pasan a un segundo o tercer plano (además de que aunque quisiera seguir con su vida, no tendría tiempo de hacerlo).

El diablo viste de Pr
Salwa
Mar 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book, read-2017
*3.5 stars
Overall, it was good. I'm quite suprise how much I love this book. Surely, it started with a very slow and almost to the point boring that it took me ages just to reach 100 pages mark. I actually stop reading and watched the movie instead. But l'm glad that it getting more and more interesting after 100 pages mark.

I enjoy the day to day task that Andy had to deal with. And Miranda way of bossing and scaring people around her was absolute b***h. But you can't called Miranda evil wears P
Ana T.
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
I finished The Devil Wear Prada last night. I had some trouble getting into the book, those first descriptions of Andrea's adventures before joining the magazine were really not that interesting to me. After she enters the magazine world I became more interested in her relationship with everyone else. Meaning I'm not that into fashion so some people might actually appreciate the fashion angle in this book more than me.

Andrea Sachs, a small-town girl fresh out of college, lands the job "a million
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Maybe because I saw the movie before reading the book; I can't say I enjoyed this book. Found it far too long for the story it tells, and although the subject was intriguing the writing style was nothing special for me.
William Daza
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desde que vi la película me enamore de la historia de Andrea, siempre me pregunte como seria trabajar para una empresa y si algún día tendría una jefa como Miranda, la verdad es que no me ha tocado tan duro como a Andy, pero si me identifico con muchas cosas de esta historia.

Siempre quise leer el libro, y al fin lo hice, y me ha encantado. Es diferente a la película (no en la línea base) pero si en situaciones y algunos comportamientos de los personajes (para tener en cuenta)

Pero la historia de
Rebecca Weller
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked this movie but I think I liked the book more. As is the case with most book/movie combos. Andy was a great character and I like how her confrontation with Miranda went on the pages more than on the screen. Definitely more satisfying!
Books Set in New York 1 6 Apr 10, 2018 01:55AM
For Love of a Book: The Devil Wears Prada - Buddy Read September 7 17 Sep 27, 2017 07:58PM
Books2Movies Club: The Devil Wears Prada - book and movie 3 22 May 31, 2016 05:58AM
  • The Nanny Diaries (Nanny, #1)
  • Mr. Maybe
  • Shopaholic & Baby (Shopaholic, #5)
  • The First Assistant: A Continuing Tale from Behind the Hollywood Curtain
  • Good in Bed (Cannie Shapiro, #1)
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • Something Borrowed (Darcy & Rachel, #1)
  • The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • Legally Blonde
  • Slightly Married (Slightly, #4)
  • Sex and the City
  • Holly's Inbox (Holly's Inbox #1)
  • Anybody Out There? (Walsh Family, #4)
  • Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (Bridget Jones, #2)
Lauren Weisberger was born March 28, 1977, in Scranton, Pennsylvania, a locale recently made even more chic, if possible, by The Office. She was joined four years later by sister Dana, a.k.a. The Family Favorite, and moved to Allentown, Pennsylvania, at age eleven. At Parkland High School, Lauren participated in all sorts of projects, activities, and organizations for the sole purpose of padding h ...more

The Devil Wears Prada (3 books)
  • Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns (The Devil Wears Prada, #2)
  • When Life Gives You Lululemons (The Devil Wears Prada, #3)
“Oh, don't be silly - EVERYONE wants this. Everyone wants to be *us*.” 156 likes
“…This… ’stuff’? I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh I don’t know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you’re trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don’t know is that that sweater is not just blue, it’s not turquoise, it’s not lapis, it’s actually cerulean. You’re also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves St Laurent, wasn’t it, who showed cerulean military jackets? …And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of 8 different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it’s sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of stuff.” 137 likes