This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

this is me being more active

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) i hate that i am reading this book right now because i was contacted on goodreads.com and asked to read/review it and its not the worst thing i have ever read, but its not for me. and i know its not for me. but its taking me away from my summer of classics and finishing my proust and other things that are more enriching but i cant stop reading it because i made a promise, but then i have to read/review the book i won on goodreads.com and these interveniences which i can make up a word because i am annoyed and it means intervening inconveniences are in turn pissing off the thousands of books here that are like - read me read me fucking read me already - weve been here since the nineties but noooo i have to read this book because some chick flattered me with her "i like your reviews - heres a free book". so thats where i will be for the rest of the day. but look - im involved in hating.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, I have one of those, too. And I haven't read it, yet, so I said no to a different person who asked me to review a book. You're right. They're very flattery. Did s/he bring up a couple of your reviews so you knew s/he was legit? That was a nice touch.

message 3: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Karen!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

What book is it, Karen?

I've tried that winning free books thing from goodreads, but I never have.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, some people have won several, but I'm pretty inconsistent with trying and also I only apply for like three at a time because that's usually how many interest me. Someday, tho.

Karen, I tried to win that one about dying that you won, you bitch.

message 6: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) hahaha ive won two now, but there are usually more than a couple that interest me each time, so its just the odds. i can send you the death book if you want, birthday girl. i didnt mean to rip it from your hands...the book is swimming in the sun... its fine. greg is reading it too but he hates it. we are going to be polite though. or i am anyway. i cant speak for greg. he wants to be mean, because he does not like it, but its small press nearly self published, so theres no sense in killing a dream. ive been bad - ive been sewing for someone elses birthday and not reading it. bad!

message 7: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments I wish I could sew.

message 8: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) i can only sew characters - i cant make a dress or anything. i know my one stitch and thats enough. but im learning crocheting soon.

message 9: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments Sew characters?? what is that? code for something?

message 10: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) hahaha no i make little monsters. here are some: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/.... but today i made a mouse.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to make the kidnapper from The Cute Book. He's so unmenacing by trying to be menacing, which is Cute.

There's a picture of him on this review:
http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/....

I also want to make the "Bad Guy" who has a little felt cigarette.

message 12: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) oh i have that book too!! damn i have a lot of craft books. after i make a little suitcase for my mouse i will take a picture of him.

message 13: by Greg (new)

Greg I do dislike the book, but I don't know what I'm going to say about it yet. Karen's right about it being pointless to just crush someone who is self-publishing. I'll end up being polite I'm sure and save my scathing hatred for some review of a dead author or someone who would pay more attention to a gnat than anything I have to say.

message 14: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 24, 2009 05:07PM) (new)

Hmm. Now I think you should send it to me when Greg's done, karen. I have to know for myself what this book is like.

I'll send it back when I'm done if you want! Or I could do a swap. I have this one, but I'd need to read it before sending it to you:

message 15: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) hahahah i have that book too!! i havent started it yet though - i just needed to have it right away! greg and i each have our own copy of the self-published book. i might be finishing it before him. i can send it to you, no problem... it got a little squooshed when i fell asleep on top of it today...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay, I'll think of a different book to swap! It'll be a surprise (I'll check your gr shelves, first). I'll send it with your birthday card, which so far does have one bird, but it's not pro-bird, so don't worry.

message 17: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) connor gave me a "decorative bird" for my birthday. it frightens me.

message 18: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) i will mail it to you tomorrow. no need to swap - the last thing i need is one more book. really. its absurd here.

message 19: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) although i do like surprises. torn torn...

message 20: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2009 06:19PM) (new)

Okay, I'll surprise you with something that is NOT a book, then. You made me a snail with teeth, after all. Ask Alfonso, I was dancing with him on video chat and also making him move very slowly across the screen (he laughed the most at this) and also making him pretend to keep biting my fingers with his 6 jaggedy ones.

message 21: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) hahahaha i didnt know he was a mean snail! eek!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

It was affectionate biting.

message 23: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) okay i found the right book!! sorry for the misunderstanding! good thing you caught me.

message 24: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 25, 2009 10:13PM) (new)

Thanks, Karen! You're nice. I love learning the ways we die. But if you didn't really want to part with that one, I'll understand.

Where are you putting your decorative bird? David Kowalski gave me a present once that was completely potty-humor related, which he knows I hate. Why do "friends" do that? And he wanted me to pose with it for an avatar and acted like he might cry if I didn't. :/

I didn't. But I did hide it in a basket of camisoles. Maybe you should do the same with your biiird.

message 25: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) hahahaha no i have to keep it where i can see it, otherwise it might peck out my eyes. birds are fine, as long as you keep em in sight. a bird pooped on greg yesterday. and to be fair, birds are his fear, i just got on board to keep him company, because he convinced me that they are here to take over. my fear is twins. and umbrellas. (although jen gave me a birthday ninja umbrella that i am looking forward to using and overcoming that fear)

message 26: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) you klnow you have to tell me about that present -its too taunting.

message 27: by smetchie (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments How come Harry hasn't popped up to chime in about the vileness of birds?

Karen, twins I get. They're creepy. It's just one person! split! that shouldn't happen. But please, share about umbrellas. Is it because you live in NYC and people try to stab your eyes with them as you walk down the street?

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

It's a poo pen, karen.

message 29: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) karen wrote: "connor gave me a "decorative bird" for my birthday. it frightens me."

Anyone who gives a decorative bird for a gift frightens me too...The decorative bird in and of itself is awful, but the thought that went into buying that...ugh!

message 30: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) Birds... do I need to rehash my hatred.

Feel free to catch up on why they suck!
I HATE BIRDS!

My wife, knowing damn well how I feel about birds, brought home a hanging bird bath or bird feeder...whatever, that's beside the point. She looks at me, all cute and innocent, and asks, "Honey, will you put this together?" I say, "sure no problem." Then it hits me! WTF!? Are we trying to attract birds to our home!?!? They will ruin any sense of peace we may have here!! NO! I will not put that devils tool together to attract those flying hell demons!

message 31: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) Amen!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I love birds. I have three bird paintings in my living room, a hand-embroidered state bird quilt in my bedroom and various birdish stuff in other spots. Even though one of them hit me in the head three times this year (I don't love that guy!).

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

And I love my birds in nests puppets!! You put a finger in each bird (shhh) and make them tweet for worms! Great, right?

And I have this hummingbird one with teeny little eggs under her. Cute!

[image error]

message 34: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) Montambo, you are evil! I am afraid of you.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Very good.

message 36: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) the hand puppet is great. i made greg a bird for his birthday last year. or christmas, i dont remember. and a fox. yes - umbrellas get in eyes and heads and people stop on stairs to open them or down stairs to shake them out causing pileups behind them, to which they are oblivious. its maddening.

message 37: by smetchie (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:45PM) (new)

smetchie | 5731 comments you just need one of these:

description

you can see the stupid fuckers coming and your eyes and head are protected. look how happy the lady in the picture looks.

message 38: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) it could still snap closed on her like a killer spider. might be for the best, in her case...

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Look! Alfonso bought me my favorite MOMA umbrella that I always wanted when I was in NY!

[image error]

It's okay if I love the things you hate, karen, right? Marie kinda hates snails and DEFINITELY hates slugs and look at us!

message 40: by karen (new)

karen (karenbrissette) oh totally - i dont begrudge anyone elses loves of umbrellas, just mind my eyes, please!!

message 41: by Harry (new)

Harry  (Harry_Harry) Thats one evil mother fucker under that pretty cloud umbrella!

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Harry wrote: "Thats one evil mother fucker under that pretty cloud umbrella!"

Why you gotta go inflating that ego?!

message 43: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Maybe Harry thinks it he keeps the flattery up, Fooz will eventually burst. Just an idea.