Devour Your TBR discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Completed Months > MAY 2019: LET'S TALK PROGRESS

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Kathy - Books & Munches (booksandmunches) | 58 comments Mod
description

Once the reading challenge starts, you can come over here and share the first book you're reading! Maybe you'll find someone else reading the exact same one?

Have you finished a book? Tell us as well! Maybe even add some of your thoughts about the book. Did you enjoy it? Or didn't you?

What's going to be your next read?

Every small progress you make, you can share here! Even if you just want to talk about a huge event that just occurred and you need to shout about it for a bit.

message 2: by Megan (new)

Megan | 26 comments So far, I've finished two books on my TBR (it's May 2 here in Australia). One was a graphic novel (Giant Days, Vol. 3), so I flew through it in very little time, and the other - The Binding - was one that I had already started reading.

Next, I'll be looking to pick up One True Loves, by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I bailed on Stella and the Timekeepers, which was a Goodreads Giveaway Win and unfortunately my first win. I'm starting Magyk now.

message 4: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments Jamie wrote: "I bailed on Stella and the Timekeepers, which was a Goodreads Giveaway Win and unfortunately my first win. I'm starting Magyk now."

That's a bummer, but on the bright side, at least you didn't waste good money on it. I've only ever won once - Mary Kubica's When the Lights Go Out - and thankfully, it was good (even if the end ticked me off).

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

@Aymee at least there's that lol I'm sorry the end of the book you won ticked you off.

message 6: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments @Jamie - I can forgive it because the rest was so good. Hahaha.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@Aymee that's good lol

message 8: by Bryce (new)

Bryce (brycereads) | 27 comments started on the priory of the orange tree. it will probably take me the month to read though due to the sheer size of the book and how many times i have had to check a glossary to work out what something is or who someone previously mentioned was

message 9: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments Bryce wrote: "started on the priory of the orange tree. it will probably take me the month to read though due to the sheer size of the book and how many times i have had to check a glossary to work out what some..."

This is where a Kindle is soooo handy. Press and hold and you get a dictionary. Also, if the book has the x-ray option, it'll give you information on characters or places. SO handy. Anxious to hear what you think, I've been wanting to pick this one up.

message 10: by A Robin Reads (new)

A Robin Reads (arobinreads) @Jamie Have fun with Magyk! I loved the series when I read them a couple of years ago. Hope you like it!

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 32 comments I finished reading The Truth (Discworld, #25; Industrial Revolution, #2) by Terry Pratchett which I loved, so funny!

I just started Serious Moonlight by Jenn Bennett which I'm a bit nervous about since I loved one book by this author and hated the other so hopefully this one is more of the former and less of the latter? I'm really picky about YA contemporary. But it seems cute so far!

I have a bunch of books in my "library check outs" page and also I started a couple of buddy reads so here's to hoping the next few weeks are productive but also fun since I tend to be a bit too enthusiastic about reading goals sometimes lol

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@Robin Thank you 😊 I'm 36 pages in so far(didn't get to read much yesterday or today yet) but I'm enjoying it so far.

message 13: by Summer (new)

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 59 comments so far this month I have finished Blameless by Gail Carriger and Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire. Blameless is a reread of a book in a series I love and I enjoyed the first book in the Wayward Children series quite a lot. I'm starting the next book Down Among the Sticks and Bones next.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) | 207 comments Mod
I haven't finished any novels yet for May, but I'm blowing through graphic novels and manga right now so I'm okay with it!

message 15: by Alex (new)

Alex (greywardenblue) | 16 comments I re-read the entire Bartimaeus trilogy, which I've been planning to do but kept putting off until now. I'm currently reading the prequel novel that I haven't read yet. The Ring of Solomon (Bartimaeus, #0.5) by Jonathan Stroud

I also read Penpal by Dathan Auerbach and Haffling (Haffling #1) by Caleb James - these were truly spontaneous because I just saw them while browsing my books and felt like reading them. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy either.

message 16: by Warda (new)

Warda (wsharif) | 4 comments I started reading The Foxhole Court but had to DNF it. Now I'm reading The Astonishing Colour of After and Serious Moonlight, both which are awesome contemporaries so far. :D

message 17: by Mary-Faith (new)

Mary-Faith | 11 comments I just started re-reading The Queen’s Rising by Rebecca Ross yesterday. It’s one of my all-time favorites, so I’m very happy to be reading it again.

message 18: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy (thewildmageslibrary) | 6 comments Alexa wrote: "I re-read the entire Bartimaeus trilogy, which I've been planning to do but kept putting off until now. I'm currently reading the prequel novel that I haven't read yet. [bookcover:The Ring of Solom..."

Ooh how is the prequel? I haven't read that one either. Need to reread the trilogy as well! <3

message 19: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 117 comments Just finished my 1st book, A Girl Called Shameless, which was a brilliant sequel- and I'm also a good portion of the way through Circe, which I'm loving. :)

message 20: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments I just finished rereading Shadow Kiss (Vampire Academy, #3) by Richelle Mead Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead last night and I liked it even more than the first time.

Now I'm currently reading Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) by Colleen Hoover Hopeless by Colleen Hoover and so far, so interesting. :D

message 21: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments I found a novella for free on Amazon and I started it because I was in the mood for it! The Tin Rose (The Elemental Web Chronicles, #0.5) by Anne Renwick

message 22: by A Robin Reads (new)

A Robin Reads (arobinreads) I read Red dragon by Thomas Harris, the first book in the Hannibal Lecter series. I read this book as a buddy read with someone from Goodreads. I really liked this book, I gave it 4 stars.
I DNF'ed a lot of books this week unfortunately:
- Cinder by Marissa Meyer (De Lunar-chronicles #1)
- Gone girl by Gillian Flynn
- The hunters by John Flanagan (Brotherband #3)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Magyk by Angie Sage and I'm starting Flyte by Angie Sage now.

message 24: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments I finished The Tin Rose (The Elemental Web Chronicles, #0.5) by Anne Renwick The Tin Rose last night.

message 25: by Summer (new)

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 59 comments Hey! I recently finished the audiobook for Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I am starting the next book in the series, Opal, today. I'm meeting this author in June and want to have finished the series by then. I also have an ARC of her new book, Storm and Fury that I need to finish by the middle of June so I hope to read the other books set in that world first! I'll probably finish Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire today as well and continue on to the next book Beneath the Sugar Sky. That's my update for now... hope all is going well for everyone!

message 26: by Tabatha (new)

Tabatha Shipley (tabathashipley) | 3 comments Let's see, I finished the YA trilogy from my middle school years. The nostalgia factor influenced my rating, for sure. Then I finished the 9th book in the House of Night series, which was pretty equivalent to the rest of the series. Then I finished the 2nd Mortal Instruments book, which I liked more than the first. So now I'm onto the 3rd right away because it's MOODY MAY and I FELT LIKE IT! ;)

message 27: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments Tabatha wrote: "Let's see, I finished the YA trilogy from my middle school years. The nostalgia factor influenced my rating, for sure. Then I finished the 9th book in the House of Night series, which was pretty eq..."

WOOOO! You GO, Girl!

message 28: by Rita (new)

Rita (anarittafp) I fiinished The Red Scrolls of Magic on Tuesday and I loved it but now I don't know what to read next...I guess I'm not much of a mood reader lmao

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished Flyte by Angie Sage and I'm starting Physik by Angie Sage now.

message 30: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments I read a comic book and it was amazing! Business Cat Hostile Takeovers by Tom Fonder

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I unfortunately bailed on Physik by Angie Sage so I won't be continuing with the Septimus Heap series. I'm now staring Across The Great Barrier by Patricia C Wrede.

message 32: by Megan (last edited May 11, 2019 03:04AM) (new)

Megan | 26 comments I've just added Missing, Presumed (which I'm about to start) and Sherwood to my TBR after picking them up from the library earlier today. I'm really looking forward to getting around to reading Sherwood; I thought the author's Hunted was a great read, and I'm ten different kinds of excited for a gender-bent Robin Hood retelling. :D

message 33: by Dana (last edited May 11, 2019 06:04AM) (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments Yesterday I also went to the library and took the physical copy of Hopeless by Colleen Hoover, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe and Amy & Roger's Epic Detour. Can't wait to read those! ^_^

message 34: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments And today I read 2 short books: an arc from NetGalley and a freebie on iBooks: Seeking the Truth (Through Lya's Eyes, Vol.1) by Carbone (ARC) and The Vampire Hunter's Daughter (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter #1) by Jennifer Malone Wright .

Also, guys. Starting Sunday 12 am I want to do my own 24 hour readathon and I was wondering if you would like to participate also. I'll create a group for this and leave the link in the chat thread. ^_^

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] (howlinglibraries) | 207 comments Mod
Dana wrote: "And today I read 2 short books: an arc from NetGalley and a freebie on iBooks: Seeking the Truth (Through Lya's Eyes, Vol.1) by Carbone (ARC) and The Vampire Hunter's Daughter (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter #1) by Jennifer Malone Wright.

Also, guys. Star..."

I can't promise how much I'll be able to read but I would love to join! <3

message 36: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments destiny ♡⚔♡ wrote: "Dana wrote: "And today I read 2 short books: an arc from NetGalley and a freebie on iBooks: Seeking the Truth (Through Lya's Eyes, Vol.1) by Carbone (ARC) and The Vampire Hunter's Daughter (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter #1) by Jennifer Malone Wright.

Als..."

Thank you! <3

message 37: by Mary-Faith (new)

Mary-Faith | 11 comments I finished The Queen’s Rising, and I’ve started it’s sequel, The Queen’s Resistance.

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 117 comments Mary-Faith wrote: "I finished The Queen’s Rising, and I’ve started it’s sequel, The Queen’s Resistance."

How did you like the first book? I really enjoyed and need to buy The Queen's Resistance as soon as I can! :)

message 39: by Dana (new)

Dana Cristiana (silvermoon1923) | 67 comments I finished 4 graphic books today:
Super Fun Sexy Times by Meredith McClaren , Princess Ninjas by Dave Franchini , Summer Green to Autumn Gold Uncovering Leaves' Hidden Colors by Mia Posada and Stage Dreams by Melanie Gillman .

I'm now currently reading Apologies that Never Came by Pierre Alex Jeanty . I'm crying! This poetry book is the most accurate thing I ever read!!

message 40: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 117 comments Took a bit longer than I'd planned, but I've finished Circe and loved it. Now I'm onto The Devouring Gray, which I'm 30% into and is going good so far.

message 41: by Summer (new)

Summer (speaking_bookish) (speaking_bookish) | 59 comments I just finished Dreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor. This book/series has one of the most beautiful endings ever written, Laini has such a gift. I'll also be finishing Dragon Pearl by Yoon Ha Lee today and I've just begun a graphic novel The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins.

message 42: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 117 comments Finished The Devouring Gray and today and was brilliant! I've started The Tethered Mage as well, and I'm not in a slump now like I was the first time I tried to read the book, so let's see how it goes this time.

message 43: by Mary-Faith (new)

Mary-Faith | 11 comments I finished The Queen's Resistance (very good!) and have started Wuthering Heights.

Kelly wrote: "Mary-Faith wrote: "I finished The Queen’s Rising, and I’ve started it’s sequel, The Queen’s Resistance."

How did you like the first book? I really enjoyed and need to buy The Queen's Resistance as..."

I loved the first book!! It's one of my all-time favorites. The second was really good too.

message 44: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 117 comments Mary-Faith wrote: "I finished The Queen's Resistance (very good!) and have started Wuthering Heights.

Kelly wrote: "Mary-Faith wrote: "I finished The Queen’s Rising, and I’ve started it’s..."

I'm hoping to buy book 2 this week. That's good to know. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't been good about updating my status here but I'm updating on my "post your tbr" comment. I've recently discovered Manga and have been devouring them!

message 46: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments Jamie wrote: "I haven't been good about updating my status here but I'm updating on my "post your tbr" comment. I've recently discovered Manga and have been devouring them!"

I just finished one like ten minutes ago. LOVE manga!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

@Aymee I started watching anime when I started dating my husband(9 years ago!) but just got into reading Manga last week. I thought it'd be like graphic novels, which I tried once and didn't like. It was a graphic novel of a book I had already read so maybe that was a factor of my opion. I am glad I have Manga a chance, I LOVE it! I've been back to my library a couple times to pick up giant stacks of Manga to read. There have even been a couple I've loved so much I need to own them!

message 48: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments Jamie wrote: "@Aymee I started watching anime when I started dating my husband(9 years ago!) but just got into reading Manga last week. I thought it'd be like graphic novels, which I tried once and didn't like. ..."

That's awesome! Growing up in the 80's, so many of the cartoons were either anime or anime-like that it carried over into adulthood for me (I was watching My Neighbor Tototro this morning). But that's awesome you're enjoying the manga - the stories are good and some of the artwork is simply amazing.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

@Aymee I picked up My Neighbor Totoro manga when I was at the library yesterday :)

message 50: by Aymee (new)

Aymee (asphaltcowgrrl) | 47 comments @Jamie: that's awesome. I'm about halfway through the movie right now and it's SO CUTE. But then, all of Miyazaki's stuff is.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.