Start by marking “Little Witches: Magic in Concord” as Want to Read:
Little Witches: Magic in Concord

Little Witches: Magic in Concord

Oni Press has acquired world rights to the middle grade graphic novel Little Witches: Magic in Concord by Leigh Dragoon. A retelling of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, the graphic novel follows Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy as witches-in-training. When Mr. Laurence, a witch­finder, moves in next door with his grandson to investigate renegade magic, the girls get caught up in th ...more
Published August 27th 2019 by Oni Press (first published August 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Little Witches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Witches

Start your review of Little Witches: Magic in Concord
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was really fun! I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did if I didn't already know the story of Little Women, but it was still a blast and I'm glad that I read it! My biggest complaint though and what is keeping this from being anything more than a 3 is that the ending was VERY abrupt. Like, I still don't even really know what happened, abrupt. ...more
Julia Sapphire
I received an ARC of this at BEA, all opinions are my own.

This story follows four sisters who live with their parents. They all practice witchcraft and this story is a retelling of Little Woman. I can't really speak on if it was closely related to Little Woman because I have yet to read that classic.

This discussed people abusing magic, abuse in school, and the Civil War. I really enjoyed the romance in this!! I thought it was refreshing and well done. If anything I would have loved to see a
Mitticus
+Digital ARC gently provided by publishers and netgalley for an honest review+

Age Range: 8 and up
Grade Level: 3 - 4

I was curious to read this book, which is an adaptation of the beloved classic Little Women by L.M. Alcott, with the proviso that the March sisters here are witches. Good witches, mind you, keeping even their ideas of Transcendentalism.

The plot is similar: four sisters living with their mother in Concord during the Civil War; the father is absent in the aforementioned war minding th
Emma
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an ARC of this graphic novel in exchange for an honest review.

This just didn't work for me.
I liked the fact that the author decided to use the March sisters as characters, it was a nice idea. The magic aspect was what intrigued me at the beginning but I don't think it was explained well and it kind of became useful only at the end of the book.
The plot was kind of complicated and I would have liked some more explanations.
Considering it was a 150-p
Celia McMahon
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was actually really cute.
Kris Bennet
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

I enjoyed this graphic novel and I loved the basic idea of reading The Little Women as witches with powers. It worked so well for me that I'm expecting to see a new comic with these ladies next year or a little soon after the publication of this one. Yes, the earlier the better. The artwork was good, especially the sceneries and the choice of colors that differ between indoor and outdoor landscapes: warm for the in
Bethany
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like Little Women and like magic, seriously go pick this up! It is a charming reimagining of the classic by Louisa May Alcott where the sisters are witches and magic exists. It does a wonderful job of hitting important beats from the original story, but with its own flavor. In a cool twist, Laurie and his grandfather are free African-Americans working to investigate misuse of magic. One example is the use of magic by slave owners to compel and punish slaves. (recall that Little Women is s ...more
Bruna Miranda
**I received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion**

Although I never read Little Women, I feel like I enjoyed this graphic novel as much. The artwork is not my favourite style but the story is really entertaining and I can see how some scenes might have been adapted to this format. I can see now with Beth and Jo are everyone's favourites (also, kudos to Laurie!) and THE MAGIC! I have no problem admitting that I am a sucker for historical and literary retellings a
Etienne
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
2,5/5. I would I like more magic!! There isn't close to be enough magic in this one. The story become more casual then fantastic and this was a downer for me. I think younger reader, probably even more for girl, might enjoy it though. And the art, even if it look very simple, has an original look and vibe to it that I really like. Not really for me, not necessarily great, but wasn't bad either! ...more
Lost
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My goodness, this was a cute read. It's a whimsical retelling of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, complete with witches, magic and all the family love you could ever want. I'm a big fan of a few of the large page spreads - they really give off that sweet, mystical vibe which fits the story so well!

The first few pages were difficult to get into - I struggled to tell the sisters apart at first, and could've done with an introduction type spread or something before the story starts. That being sa
Lauren (Northern Plunder)
My review was first posted on Northern Plunder, you can read more of my reviews there too.

Okay so I have to be honest with you guys – I’ve never read Little Women. I don’t know anything about Little Women and I picked this graphic novel up because I want to read more about witches.

I feel like talking about the plot is a bit weird as possibly everyone but me actually has some understanding of Little Women…

But I could be wrong so here goes.

In this retelling the March women are witches and it opens
Dana Cristiana
I'd like to thank Leigh Dragoon, Oni Press and NetGalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.

I have never read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, although it's on my TBR list, but this book was cute overall. This is a retelling of the classic mentioned above.
I had problems with getting into this book. At first, the pacing was too fast and I couldn't understand who was who, but then it slowed down and I caught up with their names eventually.

What I liked about this book was the graphic
Joanna Bennett
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This magical retelling of a classic, Little Women, features your favorite March sisters but with a delightfully witchy twist.

I haven’t ever read Little Women but I have always enjoyed the movie. I saw this title and was instantly drawn in because who doesn’t love a story about witches? The cover is gorgeous as well.

I thought that the story of the March sisters was very cute. There was a touch of magic and also had important lessons, like working together and not judging a book by its cover. Alth
La Coccinelle
The premise of this graphic novel is decent, but the execution is really uneven. (And can I just say how much I hate the cover? It wasn't until I zoomed way in that I realized Beth didn't actually have a beard.)

The March sisters are portrayed much the way they are in Alcott's original novel, with their defining characteristics. Jo's not really a writer here, though, so that's a little disappointing. Laurie is black, and how his grandfather--an escaped slave--made their fortune is a little far-fe
Kailey (Luminous Libro)
In this retelling of Little Women, the March sisters are all witches, training to learn magic from their mother, Marmie, and from crabby old Aunt March. Old Mr. Lawrence moves in next door with his grandson, but they are witch-hunters! As long as the Marches abide by the laws of Concord, the witch-hunters won't bother them, so the Marches try to befriend their new neighbors. Jo and Laurie get involved in a magic investigation and try to unravel a curse, but will the March sisters' magic be enoug ...more
Annemieke / A Dance with Books
Thank you to Oni Press and Netgalley for the review copy in exchange for an honest review. This does not influence my opinion of the book in any way.

The title of this might sound somewhat familiar and it is because it is a play on Louisa May Allcott’s Little Women. In fact this is a retelling. I don’t consider it inspired as other reviewers have said because it holds to close to known events. While I might not have read Little Women I do know a bit about the story.

In this graphic novel retelli
Karissa
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-children-s
A charming and creative spin on a classic story (the "Little Women" are magical witches), told in a cartoony graphic novel format that middle grade readers will love. Some pages are full of brown, antique-ish looking colours, reminiscent of the "classic" status of the original book. Others are bursting with bright colours and magic.

Magic is exposed to be influential in a few historical events, including slavery and the Black Plague. I see how this could be controversial, but I think it will spa
Arybo ✨
3.5✨✨✨

This was really cute and fun! It starts really slow, but the ending is really god. I remember that I loved Little Women when I read it, but I can't remember the little details as I wish. Anyway, this is a really good graphic novel and I recommend it, even if the drawing style is simple. The story is captivating and the colors beautiful.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review
Meegy
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was super cute, I enjoyed all the images in this graphic novel. If more of this Little Women retelling comes out, I definitely want to read it!
Elena (Leen)
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gnovels
Thanks to Netgalley and One Press for sending me a bow of this book in exchange for an honest review.

“Little Witches. Magic in Concord“ is a cute adaptation for the graphic novel of “Little Women“. The reason that prompted me to request and read this retelling was the mention of magic in the title and the idea of making the March's sisters as witches - and I really loved it! I also liked the story, the characters and the drawings! I would have preferred only a more magic.
Jenny
Jan 16, 2021 rated it liked it
Very cute retelling of Little Women with a magical element that takes the March sisters on an exciting adventure. I enjoyed it and I think my 8 year old will also.
Teresa Grabs
Little Witches is an interesting retelling of Little Women. While the illustrations were cute, I was just not a fan of this rendition. Young readers will enjoy the graphic novel format and it is a nice way to introduce new readers to the characters.

Thank you NetGalley and Oni Press for the opportunity to read an advance reader copy.
DB  (DB's Guide to the Galaxy)
A cute easy read that will certainly make you reread Little Women and wish there’s magic and witches in there (just in time for the movie remake, right?). I didn’t remember much of the original Little Witches, except that I liked Jo the best, probably because she reminded me of George from the Famous Five series by Enid Blyton (also my favourite character. Timmy and Julian were like tied for second place).

I’ve become more used to reading Comics and Graphic Novels, and while I am (most definitely
Madhu MaBookYard -
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
My Rating : 4

This story follows a family of witches who has to protect their magic and be nice to their Witch hunting neighbours. It deals with how the girls deal with acceptance, family bonds, envy and a bigger threat that is destroying everyone in their town is the main concept of this story!
Thank you Netgalley for providing me with a review copy in exchange for my honest opinion. All opinions are my own and is not influenced in any way.
First, I really love how this shades over the story of
Tams
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author : Leigh Dragoon
Genre : Middle grade, Graphic novel, Retelling, Fantasy

Publication date :  August 27th 2019 by Oni Press

Number of pages : 160 pages

Synopsis : A retelling of Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, the graphic novel follows Jo, Meg, Beth, and Amy as witches-in-training. When Mr. Laurence, a witch­finder, moves in next door with his grandson to investigate renegade magic, the girls get caught up in the action.

I received this eARC for free from Netgally and Oni Press in exchange for
Suzanne
May 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Little Women is one of my favorite classic novels, so when I saw this was a mashup of Little Women plus WITCHES, I was super excited. The resulting comic is a little light on plot, with lots of promise but not enough development to be satisfying.
In this retelling, Laurie is a Black teen living with his Black, formerly enslaved grandfather. The way the comic is colored, it's nearly impossible to differentiate the grandfather's skin from his features. I could have excused it since the illustration
Lauren
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a creative and great adaptation! I really enjoyed it. It stayed close enough to the original content that I could see the cleverness in how it was re-envisioned, and it strayed in all the right ways.

My qualm is the same one I had with Moonstruck by Grace Ellis and Shae Beagle: the dialogue cuts off somewhere in the final confrontation, and the rest of the book is very quiet. Sort of eerily so.

At that climax, I'm reading fast: things are happening fast, I'm excited, I want to see
Jill Kenna
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a retelling of Little Women by Louisa May Alcott but with the sisters being witches. I really enjoyed this book. I have read and loved Little Women so I knew the basic plot going into the book but I was pleasantly surprised to read all of the changes that were made to the original book. I was very glad that the author didn't change the sisters personalities that much, they were essentially the same as in the original just having added powers. I think this book is geared towards midd ...more
Marisa
An odd but interesting concept. Sometimes the modern references threw me off so I couldn’t tell if this was supposed to take place during the Civil War or during modern times, but due to the context of everything else, it’s Civil War like Louisa May Alcott’s Little Women. Because of that, it gives off the impression that it’s desperately trying to be modern and unique when it just feels odd. Honestly, I think that this would’ve been much more compelling as an original period piece without the Ma ...more
Margarida de Sousa (IcthusBookCorner)
I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all if I didn't already know the story of Little Women, so I do recommend reading Little Women first.
The magic aspect was what captivated me at the beginning but I don't think it was explained well enough and it only became useful at the end of the story, which is bummer.
The artwork was good and I appreciated the different colour pallet for indoors and outdoors.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Magic Fish
  • Displacement
  • Stepping Stones
  • Kodi (#1)
  • Doodleville (Doodleville, #1)
  • An Embarrassment of Witches
  • The Witch's Hand (The Montague Twins, #1)
  • Ever After
Leigh Dragoon (born May 6, 1976 in Plattsburgh, New York) is a professional American comics writer and illustrator. She currently lives in Sacramento, California.

Leigh Dragoon’s work first appeared in Girlamatic, publisher of her urban fantasy webcomic By the Wayside, which won the Kim Yale Award for Best New Female Talent in 2006. She contributed art to Sam Kieth’s My Inner Bimbo graphic novel. I

News & Interviews