The Sword and Laser discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
Here we are in April already, so what else are you reading this month?

message 2: by Paul (last edited Apr 01, 2019 03:33PM) (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Hey all

As per usual there are quite a few group reads I'd like to get around to:

A Passage to India

Bird Box

The others are re-reads:

The Hound of the Baskervilles

The Demolished Man

I, Claudius

Who knows, I might even manage to read them this month!

edit: Also The 7½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

2nd edit: also Dogs of War & On a Red Station, Drifting

Damn, actually it looks like quite a full month...

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Collins | 164 comments Over the weekend I finished The Fated Sky. I quite enjoyed it. I think I would like to read a bit more about the characters and the alternate timeline. However, the next books I plan to read will be one of Gail Carriger's novellas and Theodora Goss' latest.

message 4: by Maclurker (new)

Maclurker | 120 comments Just finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Very compelling and a fun read. Although it's almost less of a laser read and more (view spoiler)

Now on to the BOTM. And just in time.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Maclurker wrote: "Just finished The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. Very compelling and a fun read. Although it's almost less of a laser read and more [spoilers removed]

Now on to the BOTM. And..."

Isn't that good? I've just read Claire North's The End of the Day, a wonderful writer

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8310 comments Currently listening to The Vor Game and reading Bookburners: The Complete Season 2.

message 7: by Stephen (last edited Apr 05, 2019 08:13AM) (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1322 comments Oh, April is a good month for me. Holy Sister comes out April 9th and A Time Of Blood comes out April 16th. I hope to read first The True Queen, the follow up to Zen Cho's wonderful Sorcerer to the Crown

message 8: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1309 comments Started the month by finishing The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August which was a fun read. Well written if quite similar to her book Touch in style and themes.

Started listening to Theft of Swords. About a 1/4 of the way through and hoping it picks up. Nice narration spoiled by a few annoying verbal ticks.

About to start Tales from the Inner City and then on to Red Sister to catch up with my Sword challenge.

message 9: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments I'm 50% through The Witchwood Crown by Tad Williams. I hadn't planned on reading this but I won a pre-release copy of the next book in the series, Empire of Grass in a giveaway. These are huge books, so this is going to take up most of my reading time for the next month, or two.

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 2257 comments More Chanur -- finished The Kif Strike Back and started Chanur's Homecoming.

message 11: by Silvana (last edited Apr 03, 2019 01:48AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Postponing my The Bird King read since my buddies are not ready, so I moved up The Blade Itself to the front of the queue. Yet another grimdark reread, back to back, since I just finished Chronicles of the Black Company.

message 12: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Silvana wrote: "Postponing my The Bird King read since my buddies are not ready, so I moved up The Blade Itself to the front of the queue. Yet another grimdark reread, back to back, s..."

Abercrombie's Third Law books are excellent - I'm sure his others are too, but I've not read them! I think the grimdark is a little misleading ( even though his twitter handle is @lordgrimdark ) as they are also very, very funny, interspersed with the horrific violence. Personally, i also think he's a much better writer than Glen Cook.

message 13: by Dipa (new)

Dipa  Raditya (diparaditya) | 1 comments I still gathering my mood to finish Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan and re-reading several classic Dragonlance :)

message 14: by Silvana (last edited Apr 03, 2019 02:08AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Paul wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Postponing my The Bird King read since my buddies are not ready, so I moved up The Blade Itself to the front of the queue. Yet another grimdark reread,..."

Yeah, First Law is pretty fantastic. I think I read everything by him - loved most of them except the YA trilogy (forget the series title, Shattered Sea?). I'll be rereading all FL books from this month to to prepare for the upcoming A Little Hatred in October.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Silvana wrote: "Yeah, First Law is pretty fantastic. I think I read everything by him - loved most of them except the YA trilogy (forget the series title, Shattered Sea?). I'll be rereading all FL books from this month to to prepare for the upcoming A Little Hatred in October. .."

Ooh, I'm a couple of books behind, i must catch up.

First Law, of course; you can tell I'm at work and attempting to multitask...

message 16: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 995 comments Paul wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Yeah, First Law is pretty fantastic. I think I read everything by him - loved most of them except the YA trilogy (forget the series title, Shattered Sea?). I'll be rereading all FL ..."

Abercrombie’s YA series is indeed The Shattered Sea (starts with Half a King) and tbh I enjoyed it more than the First Law books- for me the plotting and pacing was tighter, and I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic Viking setting.

message 17: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 995 comments I’m currently reading Witchmark which is really good so far

message 18: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Ruth wrote: "Paul wrote: "Silvana wrote: "Yeah, First Law is pretty fantastic. I think I read everything by him - loved most of them except the YA trilogy (forget the series title, Shattered Sea?). I'll be rere..."

I actually enjoyed the first book but not the rest.

Paul wrote: "First Law, of course; you can tell I'm at work and attempting to multitask...

"

Haha no worries, for a second I thought we were discussing Asimov. Anyway, I think Red Country is currently on sale at Kindle store just in case you haven't got it.

message 19: by Sheila Jean (last edited Apr 03, 2019 05:40AM) (new)

Sheila Jean | 317 comments In audio, I'm almost done with The Land: Founding. It is totally like I'm watching my husband play video RPG's. Then, onto my reread (listen) of Theft of Swords.

I have two books to check out at the library before doing some travel. I'll be reading Sea of Silver Light and Shadow of Night. Lots of pages ahead....

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 489 comments Ruth wrote: "Abercrombie’s YA series is indeed The Shattered Sea (starts with Half a King) and tbh I enjoyed it more than the First Law books- for me the plotting and pacing was tighter, and I enjoyed the post-apocalyptic Viking setting."

I do have Half A King on the nether slopes of Mount TBR so should read it. But, well, see my first comment above...

message 21: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1309 comments Blasted through Red Sister. Great read with a gripping plot and fascinating characters. Just been to the library to grab Grey Sister.

Finished The Crown Conspiracy on tape, which is so so in comparison. Started listening to the second half of the omnibus.

Really enjoying the vignettes in Tales from the Inner City which is a must.

message 22: by John (john) (new)

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 130 comments Tiamat's Wrath of course. The Bird King is on deck.

message 23: by Erik (new)

Erik Melin | 114 comments Finished ToS and am back on The Golden Compass grind. Around the 100 mark and think I'm about to really get going.

Was interested in checking out the Red Sister audiobook. I know a lot of people have mentioned it recently but couldn't remember if the audiobook was mentioned. Any opinions from those who've finished it? Spoiler I probably will just get it because I seem to like every audiobook so far (except Gateway *practices primal scream therapy*) but always interested in everyone's thoughts.

message 24: by Cup (last edited Apr 05, 2019 05:58AM) (new)

Cup of Joe | 6 comments Grey Sister, in preparation for the imminent release of Holy Sister. Will swap to laser picks next with the latest two Expanse novels!

message 25: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 1322 comments Heather O'Neill did the audio for Red Sister and is excellent in performing the story.

message 26: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 483 comments Finished my re-read of The Player of Games. Unlike Consider Phlebas none of this one really came back to me, so it was almost like enjoying a new book. A thoroughly enjoyable read. What a talent Iain Banks was!

Next Audible credit is going on After On: A Novel of Silicon Valley, which features Tom Merritt, amongst several other voice talents.

message 27: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 995 comments Just started the audiobook of The Raven Tower which is Ann Leckie’s first venture into fantasy. It’s good so far with interesting world-building and an unusual narrator.

message 28: by Seth (new)

Seth | 316 comments Ruth wrote: "Just started the audiobook of The Raven Tower which is Ann Leckie’s first venture into fantasy. It’s good so far with interesting world-building and an unusual narrator."

Definitely my favorite book I've read this year so far (though it's only 1/4 of the way through). It reminded me of the first of Leckie's Ancillary books the way the story is split in time, and the two timelines race towards each other as the story goes on. Hope you continue to like it.

message 29: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Struggled for a while to find anything grabbing my attention after I finished Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers Who Helped Win World War II. Finally settled on Semiosis by Sue Burke.

message 30: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Finished with The Blade Itself reread. Oh how I miss Sand dan Glokta.

Starting The Light Brigade on audio - written by Kameron Hurley and read by Cara Gee. Could not get any better, so excited!

Dara wrote: "Finally settled on Semiosis by Sue Burke. "

Woohoo!

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2783 comments Aside from Theft, The Haunting of Tram Car 015 was fun, quirky read. I can't remember how I learned about The Steerswoman by Rosemary Kirstein but I liked the book (first in a series) a lot. Rowan, the steerswoman, roams the world seeking knowledge and mapping the land. A discovery she makes seems to have upset some powerful people but she doesn't know why.

Next (late March really) was Zero Sum Game. Fun book, a bit too convoluted for its own good.

Since I've read the BotM already the rest of the month will be catch up on TBR stuff... The Raven Tower, Дом, в котором... (English title "The Gray House" though that's not what the Russian means) and The Office of Lost and Found

message 32: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3914 comments Finished Theft of Swords. While the first book started off a bit iffy with a convoluted plot, by the end of the second one Sullivan was really cooking. I'll keep most of my comments in the book of the month section, but will note that the series becomes addictive. I gave modest thought to stopping after the first "book" in this collection, but the second one had substantially better writing and a couple of great hooks. I've tagged the next two books in the library after returning the first, natch, for those waiting.

message 33: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Apr 07, 2019 05:37PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
I decided to listen to Second Hand Curses, from my backlog while I waited for Tiamat's Wrath to come out and ending up liking it quite a bit - ★★★★☆ - (My Review)

Then I listened to Tiamat's Wrath of course, and that was great and now I'm stuck waiting for the next season of the show and the final book to come out. - ★★★★★ - (My Review)

message 34: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Rader | 78 comments I finished Theft of Swords on audio. I liked it better the 2nd time than I did the first. The series does become addictive over the course of the books. I also finished Skyward by Brandon Sanderson and it was a fun read. Currently listening to Red Sister for the 2nd time and reading Ones and Zeroes.

message 35: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Just finished Tad Williams's The Witchwood Crown which I really enjoyed and am now reading the second book in the series Empire of Grass

message 36: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3914 comments Finished Keith Laumer's Assignment in Nowhere. It's every bit as good as I remembered. It's also barely above novella length so I rationed this one to make it last. This is an every-word-counts adventure, not like the lengthy tomes common today.

A probability storm threatens the Imperium. The worlds of the Blight - alternate universes where the crosstime drive malfunctioned and destroyed life as we know it on Earth, giving rise to hideous mutations - now threaten to collapse and take other timelines with them. Among those is the main world line of the Imperium.

One man could stop it, if he knew how. He's opposed by a man who wants to use the storm to reshape reality and put himself in charge.

There is a heavy historical bent here with Richard the Lionhearted. In one version he survived, to take on the drafters of the Magna Carta and kill them. Seven centuries later his descendant seeks to undo that fateful act. I missed most of the historical stuff as a teen, and it adds an extra layer of enjoyment now.

The central world of the Blight is probability chaos as magic. This seems to be Laumer's version of CS Lewis' Perelandra series. The almost-magical heroine of the Blight's central world and her beastly but intelligent companions could have come from Lewis' Venus.

If anything is bothersome about this book, it's that destiny features so strongly that it seems as if the MC doesn't actually do anything. He struggles, but having struggled victory is certain.

A minor quibble. This is a five star book for me. I tend to like alternate history and this is among the best. Even the coda is delicious.

And now, with nothing on the TBR pile available, I'm catching up on some Cthulhu. Specifically the first ten stories of the Dream cycle, all free on the HP Lovecraft site. May read more depending on what comes off library hold when.

message 37: by Colin (new)

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 483 comments Finished Broken Homes - the 4th in the P.C. Grant / Rivers of London series. Such a good series. I'm hooked and am even considering giving the graphic novels a try. (Not my usual fare!) This book ends on a major reversal for our heroes, so I immediately bumped the next book much closer to the top of my TBR list.

Next book I'm actually going to read, however, is A Conjuring of Light - finally getting around to the end of the trilogy, having read the first with The Sword & Laser almost 3 years ago. Not sure why it's taken me so long to reach this point as I enjoyed the first two quite a lot.

message 38: by AndrewP (last edited Apr 09, 2019 08:22AM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Colin wrote: "Finished Broken Homes - the 4th in the P.C. Grant / Rivers of London series. Such a good series. I'm hooked and am even considering giving the graphic novels a try. (Not my usual fa..."

I would recommend the graphic novels as some parts of them are integral to the overall story. They fit in between the novels and are referenced in a later volumes. The recommended reading order is here:
http://www.howtoread.me/rivers-of-lon...

message 39: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I lemmed Semiosis at 40%. Sorry, Silvana! I just didn't like it. My review.

Now I don't know what to read. I'm feeling uninspired.

message 40: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3914 comments ^ Mmmm....perhaps some Steampunk fun with Gail Carriger? She's got the 5 book Parasol Protectorate, the 4 book Finishing School YA series, and a multitude of fan-service novellas. Or try out her first short story sale My Sister's Song which is more awesome than a first story has a right to be.

message 41: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I was just talking about her in Felicia Day's Discord server. I might get back into the Finishing School series next. We'll see.

message 42: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 995 comments I’m now 80% done with A Skinful of Shadows and I have no idea how it’s going to end - the twists and turns keep surprising me!
I struggled a bit with this book at first because I found the dark tone jarringly different from the more gentle whimsy I normally expect from Frances Hardinge, but then I got into it and wow! Ghosts, magic, espionage, betrayal, the English civil war- this book has it all!

message 43: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 995 comments Now about a third of the way through the audiobook of The Raven Tower and it is not disappointing me in the least. The narrator’s unique voice and perspective is intriguing, as is the unusual chronological structure.
It’s written in mostly second-person, a technique only a writer as talented as Ann Leckie (or N.K. Jemisin) could possibly get away with.

message 44: by Silvana (last edited Apr 10, 2019 08:15AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Finally starting The Bird King because I just finished The Light Brigade. The later is a great addition to the military SF subgenre, though I feel it could be shorter. It was originally a short story for author's Patreon patrons and got picked up as a novel. Great voice as usual, though.

Dara wrote: "I lemmed Semiosis at 40%. Sorry, Silvana! I just didn't like it. My review.
"

You tried and to each his/her/their own ;)

message 45: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3914 comments Read the first nine stories in the Cthulhu "Dream Cycle." These aren't long; the whole thing might have scraped 20K words. All free at the HP Lovecraft site.

List is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream_C...

Good reads, but not what I expected. There's no extradimensional being ready to eat your soul. These are mainly visions of beautiful cities, and the consequences of interacting with them. Only one is properly creepy.

There's no clear message either. In some cases reaching for the next more beautiful vision causes loss of everything. In one a person is welcomed as king at the city of his vision since his imagination created it, which seemed almost Mormon in its conclusion. Others lead to dissolution of the self. At least two of them seemed to echo Jung's warning not to try to bring visions of internal unity to the outside world.

I'd be remiss if I didn't call out one by name: The Cats of Ulthar. For anyone who's wanted to punish those who mistreat pets, this is your story. A bit triggering though in the setup as the villains have truly earned it.

And now The Consuming Fire has come in, so I'll pause Cthulhu and go on to that.

message 46: by Rick (last edited Apr 10, 2019 05:50PM) (new)

Rick | 2783 comments Best laid plans... I was going to catch up on a few things but then someone marketing Ann Leckie's new book lost their minds and put it on sale the other day so I grabbed that for $3. Then I found out that Linda Nagata has a new book set in her Nanotech Succession universe, Edges (she did 3 books in this setting 20 years ago) and that was a easy BUY NOW! So, instead of catching up on backlogs I'm into 2 new books. Sigh...

message 47: by Allison (new)

Allison Hurd | 226 comments Since last I posted, I gave up on A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe . I'm told the back half gets better but the front half was annoying and disjointed and life is short.

But I finished:

- Early Riser which was fun but tried a few things that didn't work for me.

-Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell which was exactly the sort of book I love but it's pretty niche and not without some objective flaws. Oh well, subjectively I was finding more chores to do so I could keep listening!

Here and Now and Then did not work for me at all. So many found it to be sweet or a thriller and I think this dude should get "Worst Dad of All Time" put on his eventual gravestone, which I hope is then kicked over by the women he strung along.

A Stranger in Olondria was pretty but didn't tell me a story?

The Bone Witch was classic purple teen fantasy but with fewer action sequences than usual.

Beowulf was a re-read this time of the Heaney translation. Interesting how it differed in tone and focus from the Gummere, lots to compare!

The Vela was fun, and showcased each of the writers' talents really nicely, I thought.

Now reading and very much enjoying Assassin's Apprentice and absolutely adoring The Mere Wife which has no right to be as good as it is.

message 48: by Robert (new)

Robert Collins | 164 comments Yesterday evening I finished How To Marry A Werewolf. It was a good little romance story with some interesting drama and a few of Gail's touches. I quite enjoyed it.

message 49: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1309 comments Just finished off The Raven Tower which was an excellently written book that actually manages to be a unique entry to the fantasy genre. Not exactly the right book at the moment for me (not sure my concentration levels are good enough for the intricate storyline) but well worth look.

Small cast of interesting characters whose traits rather than their identities are important to the story which is anice change (view spoiler)

Listening to Point of Origin for my occasional murder book fix.

Went to the library yesterday and picked up my stash (order): Holy Sister, Tiamat's Wrath and Rise of Empire on CD!!! (23 of the suckers).

Dived straight in to Holy Sister as I have just read the first two in the last two weeks and started transferring the CDs to my phone so I can listen when I want.

message 50: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1618 comments Finished with The Bird King and I gotta say this one ticks all the boxes. Love the setting immensely.

Continuing my Black Company binge with The Silver Spike with low expectation since this does not have Croaker in it cmiiw.

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.