The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
archived nominations from 2019 > Nominations for the June 2019 BotM

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (last edited Mar 31, 2019 12:35PM) (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Let us know what you think would make a great BotM Group Read from The Golden Age of SF!

This time we are looking for nominations for any sci-fi novel or collection of short stories written between 1940 and 1959 that has not previously been read by the group. Please check the bookshelf (https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...) & the nomination rules (https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...) before nominating a book.

Please also add your nominated book title as a clickable link directly to the goodreads' book page, so it looks like this:

Around the World in Eighty Days
Ideally, add the author, too: Jules Verne.
And mention the Publication Year, please,

Everything you can do to help the moderators' bookkeeping will help the group flourish, so thank you!

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 3964 comments Mod
If you need some help picking an author or book that was written during the Golden Age of SF, this topic has a list.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 3: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments I suggest 1984 by George Orwell.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Marc-André wrote: "I suggest 1984 by George Orwell."

There's no requirement in this group to second a nomination, but I'm going to do it in this case. I find it hard to believe that this group hasn't read it & it's been far too long since I last did.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Ditto. Please, everyone, we'd love to see more nominations, after all this era will cycle around again... but I am of the opinion that the group really needs to read this classic.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed Erwin | 1823 comments Mod
I've nothing against re-reading 1984, which I read in 1983 and should re-read, but I'll offer The Space Merchants.

message 7: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Oh that's a good one, too.

message 9: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 54 comments Gosh The Space Merchants , I had to translate it for my German Exam in 1975, a great book.

But I'm going to nominate They Shall Have Stars by James Blish 1956

message 10: by David (last edited Apr 04, 2019 12:46PM) (new)

David Lutkins | 33 comments I'll nominate The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov, published in 1955. If I understand the rules correctly, we can have up to 3 novels by the same author in the same period, so I think this book would be allowed as the third book of Asimov's from the Golden Age, unless I've missed something

message 11: by Jim (new)

You're right, David. We've only read 2 of his from the Golden Age & 1 from the New Age, so this would be the last for the first, if it wins.

message 12: by Adrian (new)

Adrian | 54 comments Wow, some serious contenders for June, especially with ole Isaac.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim  Davis | 190 comments I am a big fan of classic Sf. I find the date range - 1940 to 1959 - far to wide to make a good choice. SF had a distinct character in the 40's that was different to the 50's. It seems that splitting this up into two groups - the 1940's and the 1950's - would allow choices to be made between books from similar historical context and similar ideas. So far with the exception of "1984" from 1949 all the other books are from the mid 50's. Unfortunately I think that there were a lot fewer good novels from the 1940's then from the 1950's and would be much less likely to be chosen in a category that includes the 1950's.

message 14: by Marc-André (new)

Marc-André | 298 comments Jim wrote: "I am a big fan of classic Sf. I find the date range - 1940 to 1959 - far to wide to make a good choice. SF had a distinct character in the 40's that was different to the 50's. It seems that splitti..."

The group use to focus on one decade at a time. It took a year to do a cycle and it was hard to come up with titles in some early decades. This is a good formula even if imperfect.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim wrote: "I am a big fan of classic Sf. I find the date range - 1940 to 1959 - far to wide to make a good choice. SF had a distinct character in the 40's that was different to the 50's. It seems that splitti..."

You make a very good point, but this isn't the place to discuss it. Let's take this to the "SF or Influential Authors" topic.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 16: by Oleksandr (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 731 comments I nominate Dorsai!, which was published in 1959

message 17: by Jim (new)

Oleksandr wrote: "I nominate Dorsai!, which was published in 1959"

For anyone who looks at the book link & sees 1960 as the first published date, it was actually originally a serial in "Astounding Science Fiction" starting in May 1959, so it qualifies for the 50s. My 1960 Ace edition of the book is titled "The Genetic General".

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 605 comments Oleksandr wrote: "I nominate Dorsai!, which was published in 1959"

I would really like to read that one. Space Merchants and 1984 were also both terrific.

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Closing the thread; we've got a perfect list for the poll!

message 20: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) Poll is up!
Note new schedule we're trying, to make sure there's plenty of time for a run-off and for people to get a copy of the book(s).
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) The Space Merchants won the poll, but only by a plurality. We'll be reading that in June, but remember your favorite runners-up and nominate them again when this era comes 'round next time!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.