Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

Q and A > What Bookmarks Books Do You Own But Haven't Read?

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I know many of us have unread books on our shelves. Others, like myself, can't pass up a book bargain and keep stacks of to-be-read books. I don't want to not have something to read; plus I have to be able to satisfy any mood.

What Bookmark reviewed books do you have waiting to be read on your shelves? And which Bookmark inspired books have you recently purchased?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I know I have lots of unread Bookmarks reviewed books on my shelf, but I'm just going to start with the ones I came home with today from Goodwill.

Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott - Hardback
One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson - Hardback
The Night Watch by Sarah Waters The Night Watch by Sarah Waters - Trade

I got all three for under $6.00. I always get excited when I find Bookmark books for a steal.

message 3: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Lisa wrote: "I know many of us have unread books on our shelves. Others, like myself, can't pass up a book bargain and keep stacks of to-be-read books. I don't want to not have something to read; plus I have t..."

Oh my goodness, the list is too long to post! Many of the ones I've gotten lately, I've been inspired to get because of reviews from the people on this group.

message 4: by Lisa (last edited Sep 03, 2009 10:07PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Betsy, join the club. I'll post my long list of owned but unread. If enough of us post, then maybe we can find some common shelf sitters to read together.

2004 Books:
* The Falls A Novel by Joyce Carol Oates The Sunday Philosophy Club (Sunday Philosophy Club, #1) by Alexander McCall Smith
2005 Books:
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova * The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks I Am Charlotte Simmons A Novel by Thomas Kennerly Wolfe Baker Towers by Jennifer Haigh Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult
2006 Books:
* The Book Thief by Markus Zusak The Poe Shadow A Novel by Matthew Pearl In the Company of the Courtesan by Sarah Dunant The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen Eat, Pray, Love One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert A Wedding in December by Anita Shreve The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion
2007 Books:
Mistress of the Art of Death (Book 1) by Ariana Franklin The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver Out Stealing Horses A Novel by Per Petterson
2008 Books:
People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks American Wife A Novel by Curtis Sittenfeld * Song Yet Sung by James McBride The Ten-Year Nap by Meg Wolitzer * Another Thing to Fall (Tess Monaghan, Book 10) by Laura Lippman * [image error]
2009 Books:
Scarpetta (Kay Scarpetta, #16) by Patricia Cornwell * The Whiskey Rebels A Novel by David Liss

* I have these books on my schedule to read during the Fall. I'm hoping to work a few others into my schedule. As I was posting, I noticed that quite a few of these are recent purchases from my local Goodwill store. I've really been hitting the jackpot on my bargain book excursions there!

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Here's what we have in common:

People of the Book I have on my bedside table, and Charlotte Simmons, Dragon Tattoo and Whiskey Rebel are on my TBR list, but I don't have them yet.

I started, but didn't finish and swapped, Post-Birthday World. I found the main character mildly annoying and finally gave it up. I have too many books to spend time forcing myself to read something I'm not liking.

message 6: by LynnB (new)

LynnB Betsy wrote: "Here's what we have in common:

People of the Book I have on my bedside table, and Charlotte Simmons, Dragon Tattoo and Whiskey Rebel are on my TBR list, but I don't have them yet.

People of the Book is great and I'd highly recommend it, but my book club read I Am Charlotte Simmons and we all thought it was a big waste of time and extremely boring. If you haven't bought it yet, I'd suggest not buying - if you really want to read it, just check it out from the library and spend the dollars on a good book.

message 7: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Lynn wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Here's what we have in common:

..."

Hmmmm. I haven't bought it yet. Has the group read other Tom Wolfe and enjoyed them? I'm a big fan of his.

message 8: by LynnB (new)

LynnB I haven't read other Tom Wolfe books than I Am Charlotte Simmons, that was the first -- and didn't make me want to read others. If you are curious why, I think it's best summed up in the Bookmarks magazine review of the book. I totally agree with the review. I understand some of his other books are very different, but I don't have the desire to try any after that one.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I picked up another 3 Bookmarks reviewed books, all hardback, for $6.50 today at Goodwill.

[image error] Sharp Objects A Novel by Gillian Flynn Exit Ghost by Philip Roth

message 10: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments My gosh, I own so, so many that I have lost track. I was over at my parents' house today and their neighbor had set up a card table in his driveway with a bunch of books and a sign that said "free". Uh, can anything be more tempting? Along with Me Talk Pretty One Day, I picked up Sightseeing, which was reviewed in February. It looks pretty good and I was psyched to get a hardcover copy for nothing!

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Jaime, you need to show me what you've got. I get such a thrill out of seeing all those bookcovers. Plus, I need to be reassured I'm not the only one with this book buying addiction!

Free! Did you clean off the whole table? LOL!

message 12: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliecarter) | 5 comments Oh my gosh! I have SO many books I could list here. Maybe if I have some free time I'll list them tomorrow, but you will be shocked at the number, I'm sure! I have a terrible book buying habit. Although I swear my Kindle (and the free books I can get) is helping some!

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Julie, did you see the 38 "unread" books I posted? Nothing will shock me, LOL. I have at least 200 unread books on my shelf, but who's counting?........hopefully not my husband.

message 14: by Aylin (last edited Sep 02, 2009 09:01AM) (new)

Aylin | 16 comments Have but haven't read Water for Elephants, Eat Pray Love (among many others- just posted at bottom of my profile page).

I like Tom Wolfe and did like "I am Charlotte Simmons". It drew you into the setting (Duke?) and characters, was well written as one would expect from Wolfe, and kept you turning the pages. However, it did not have as much substance as Bonfire of the Vanities or Man in Full. For me it was worth reading, but non-Wolfe fans may not feel the same way.

message 15: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Can someone explain to me how to post the covers of books here? I am a computer-idiot!

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Jaime wrote: "Can someone explain to me how to post the covers of books here? I am a computer-idiot!"

Jaime, at the top of the comment box you'll see "add book/author". Click on this, then click book. Enter the title, then the book will appear in the list. At the bottom of the lists, you will select 'cover' to post book jacket or 'link' to post title. You may have to click "other editions". When you have the correct book, click "add book." You may have to play with it a little to figure it out. Hope this helps!

message 17: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Thanks, Lisa! I've added titles like that before, I guess I never noticed how to add the covers.

message 18: by Jaime (last edited Sep 02, 2009 08:33PM) (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Okay......this is almost embarrassing. Here is my list of books that I own that received four star reviews in Bookmarks that I haven't read. I am on a waiting list for several more on a book swap site.

In the Company of the Courtesan A Novel by Sarah Dunant
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Moral Disorder and Other Stories by Margaret Atwood
All Aunt Hagar's Children Stories by Edward P. Jones
[image error]
The Last Witchfinder A Novel  by James Morrow
Digging to America by Anne Tyler
March by Geraldine Brooks
The March A Novel by E.L. Doctorow
The History of Love A Novel by Nicole Krauss
Gilead A Novel by Marilynne Robinson
Lost in the Forest A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Sue Miller
On Beauty by Zadie Smith
The Ha-Ha A Novel by Dave King
The Hummingbird's Daughter by Luis Alberto Urrea
A Million Nightingales by Susan Straight
Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian
The Plague of Doves A Novel by Louise Erdrich
The Commoner A Novel by John Burnham Schwartz
The Palace of Illusions A Novel by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri
Olive Kitteridge A Novel in Stories by Elizabeth Strout

Two I can think of that got 3 1/2:
The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
The Falls A Novel (P.S.) by Joyce Carol Oates

Pretty bad, huh? Looks like I should be spending more time reading instead of posting the books I NEED to read!

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Who am I to judge? In comparison to me, your list doesn't look bad at all!

I know you're going to remove The Falls off this list onto your currently reading list soon, right? :) That should help, or if you're like me, I read one and add three more.

message 20: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Yup, I'm definitely like you, Lisa! I can NEVER catch up. I don't think I'd want to. What would I have to look forward to? My sister just gave me a gift card for B&N for my birthday. Time to find some more books!

message 21: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Two More:

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

message 22: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Here is my list of the three 1/2-two stars ( I don't have any one stars):

The Lace Reader by Brunonia Barry A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman The Painted Drum A Novel (P.S.) by Louise Erdrich The Ghost Writer by John Harwood Queen of Dreams by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni Blackbird House by Alice Hoffman The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The Mermaid Chair by Sue Monk Kidd Son of a Witch A Novel by Gregory Maguire Possible Side Effects by Augusten Burroughs Saving Fish from Drowning A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) by Amy Tan The Almost Moon by Alice Sebold

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments HaHa! You just surpassed me. I had 38 posted unread books and now you have 39. Except, I went to Goodwill today and I know at least one of the books I picked up was a Bookmarks book. So for now, we are equally bad. I could have worse vices, then again ..................

message 24: by Jaime (last edited Sep 03, 2009 08:14PM) (new)

Jaime | 216 comments 40, if you count Sightseeing posted before the rest! Sightseeing by Rattawut Lapcharoensap

And that's not even close to the "to read" books I have on my shelves. It's very bad.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I spent under $3 today for:
New England White (Vintage Contemporaries) by Stephen L. Carter Lush Life A Novel by Richard Price

So Jaime, we're both at 40 Bookmark shelf sitters.

message 26: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 16 comments I now have bookshelves for:
to read and own it
to read wish list
to read sometime library list
Bookmarks mag

The Bookmarks books I own but haven't read are:
Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien Eat, Pray, Love One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert Gilead A Novel by Marilynne Robinson Istanbul Memories and the City by Orhan Pamuk The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid A Memoir by Bill Bryson Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Well, the Goodwill has caused me to add more books to my Bookmark shelf sitters. (Better they sit on my shelves than theirs.) I discovered these books today:

Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan Saving Fish from Drowning by Amy Tan - Bookmarks Issue: 20-Jan-Feb-2006
Before You Know Kindness A Novel by Chris Bohjalian Before You Know Kindness A Novel by Chris Bohjalian - Bookmarks Issue: 14-Jan-Feb-2005
[image error] The Hour I First Believed A Novel by Wally Lamb - Bookmarks Issue: 38-Jan-Feb-2009
The Fallen A Novel by T. Jefferson Parker The Fallen by T. Jefferson Parker - Bookmarks Issue: 22-May-June-2006
Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston Happiness Sold Separately by Lolly Winston - Bookmarks Issue: 25-Nov-Dec-2006
The Road by Cormac McCarthy The Road by Cormac McCarthy - Bookmarks Issue: 25-Nov-Dec-2006, Pulitzer, National Book Critics Award

The first 4 books are hardback and the next 2 trade, all for about $12.

message 28: by Lisa (last edited Sep 21, 2009 01:16PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I picked up two more books today from Goodwill to add to my unread Bookmark shelf:

Heart-Shaped Box A Novel by Joe Hill Heart-Shaped Box A Novel by Joe Hill - Bookmarks Issue: 18-Sept-Oct-2005

1776 by David McCullough 1776 by David McCullough - Bookmarks Issue: 18-Sept-Oct-2005

Both were hardback for about $4.50.

message 29: by Lisa (last edited Sep 28, 2009 12:05PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments The Goodwill is feeding my book obsession and growing my "own-but-unread" Bookmarks TBR. I've just added these reviewed books to my collection:

The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty - Bookmarks Issue: Sept/Oct 2003
The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon - Bookmarks Issue: 29-July-Aug-2007
The Twelfth Card (Lincoln Rhyme, #6) by Jeffery Deaver The Twelfth Card by Jeffery Deaver - Bookmarks Issue: July-Aug 2007 - Great Mysteries Vol II
In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick In the Heart of the Sea The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex by Nathaniel Philbrick - Bookmarks Issue: July/Aug 2006 - 101 Crackerjack Sea Books(#40)
[image error] - The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith - Bookmarks Issue: July-Aug 2007 - Great Mysteries Vol II

The first 4 are hardback and the last trade paperback. I got them all for $10.25.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I've added a few more Bookmarks books to my shelves thanks to Goodwill and it only cost me $8.

Hardback:

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - Bookmarks Preview Issue: Summer 2002
Thunderstruck by Erik Larson Thunderstruck by Erik Larson - Bookmarks Issue: 26-Jan-Feb-2007
[image error] The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman - Bookmarks Issue: 38-Jan-Feb-2009

Trade Softbacks
Abide with Me A Novel by Elizabeth Strout Abide with Me A Novel by Elizabeth Strout - Bookmarks Issue: 23-July-Aug-2006

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa wrote:

The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty [book:T..."

This is one of my favorite books. I'm not even sure exactly why, but it struck a cord with me, and I loved it.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Lisa,
Elizabeth Strout is great, and I really enjoyed Abide with Me. It's a goodie!

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I can't wait to read them. It's nice to hear your endorsement too. I often buy lots of books from Goodwill, even if I don't know too much about them. I continue to be amazed at the good ones I find.

I'm excited to be turning my living room into a library. Hopefully, by the end of the month it will be complete. I'm afraid though my books will still runneth over!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

I would love to do that! My bedroom pretty much is a library at the moment. I've never tried Goodwill for books. I should definitely do that.

message 35: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1246 comments Lisa wrote: "I've added a few more Bookmarks books to my shelves thanks to Goodwill and it only cost me $8.

Hardback:

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde The Eyre Affair by [author:Jasper Fforde|44..."

I enjoyed Eyre Affair - it's the only one of his I've read and I enjoyed it for its uniqueness, but I don't know that I need to read any others.

I thought Thunderstruck was weak in comparison to Devil in the White City. My husband and I both read it (a rarity for us), he enjoyed the Marconi piece more, and I enjoyed the murder story better. Different strokes...

message 36: by Lisa (last edited Oct 15, 2009 09:09PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments I read The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2) by Jasper Fforde The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde last month. It's part of his nursery crime series. It was imaginative and entertaining, but not something I'm going to race out to read the next in the series. I've heard lots of positive comments regarding The Eyre Affair, so I happily grabbed it off the shelf.

I still need to read Devil in the White City. I started it 5 or 6 years ago and didn't get very far, because of work and kids; then I just never picked it back up.

message 37: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Most of the local libraries near me have ongoing used book sales. I went to return a couple books today and found [image error] The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for 50 cents. Score! This book is all the rage in many, many online and local book clubs that I know of. In fact, one group that I sometimes go to right up the road is reading this for January. Maybe now I'll have the motivation to join them. I also picked up The Whole World Over A Novel by Julia Glass The Whole World Over A Novel. I only paid $2.50 for those and three other books not reviewed in Bookmarks (including a brand new centennial edition of East of Eden). It was a good book-buying day today!

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments What a great way to spend a Saturday. Enjoy Guernsey!

message 39: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments I brought my son to the B&N children's storytime today. On my way out, I noticed they had a display of newer hardcover books for 50% off. Her Fearful Symmetry was one of them, so I picked it up. I got an additional 10% off for being a member, so it was a pretty good deal. I can't wait to get started on it!

message 40: by Tracey (new)

Tracey The Bookmarks book I've had for a long time but haven't read is, I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company. I don't know why I never get around to reading it. If someone could push me toward it that would be great.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Tracey wrote: "The Bookmarks book I've had for a long time but haven't read is, I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company. I don't know why I never get around to reading it. If someone could push me toward it t..."

I give you a strong nudge in the direction of this book. I read it several years ago and loved it! I thought Hall told the story beautifully from several perspectives. I also know Stephanie plans on reading this soon, so you can compare notes as you read.

message 42: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Lisa wrote: "Tracey wrote: "The Bookmarks book I've had for a long time but haven't read is, I Should Be Extremely Happy in Your Company. I don't know why I never get around to reading it. If someone could push..."

Thanks, Lisa! It's official...I'm moving it up to (almost) the top of my "to read" list! I appreciate the response.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 986 comments Your welcome! :D

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Arcadia Falls by Carol Goodman. I'm embarassed to say I won this book in the spring and I just haven't gotten farther than the first page. It's going on the plane with me when we go to the Grand Canyon in June.

message 45: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Here are some Bookmarks books I have sitting on my shelf right now...

The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1) by Jasper Fforde Carter Beats the Devil by Glen David Gold The Story Sisters by Alice Hoffman American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards Waiting by Ha Jin New England White A Novel by Stephen L. Carter Away A Novel by Amy Bloom The Echo Maker by Richard Powers Heir to the Glimmering World by Cynthia Ozick

There are a couple on that list that I am not sure are Bookmarks books because I was going on memory. I will update it later. ;)

message 46: by Robin P (new)

Robin P I started a separate list I call "Owned" for books that I already have in print, on ebook, or on audio and haven't yet read. This includes things I've bought at library sales or otherwise acquired over the years. So they certainly aren't all Bookmarks books. I use the "To Read" list for books I don't own, and I figured out how to download it as a spreadsheet so I can take it with me when I go to my next sale. (The fact that there are 386 books on my "owned/not yet read" list doesn't stop me from acquiring more!)