Graphic Novel/Manga Reading Challenge 2019 discussion

Prompt Discussions > 16. The Recommendation Challenge

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
Graphic Novel or Series that is recommended to you by someone else.

message 2: by 47Time (new)

47Time I'm just commenting so this thread won't stay empty...

Why don't we use this thread for people who (somehow) have never had anything recommended to them? Maybe leave a comment with something you like and get a recommendation in exchange.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt | 117 comments Mod
Excellent idea! I'll break the ice; I am a huge fan of sci-fi works, especially those of Rick Remender and Johnathan Hickman. If I had a one graphic novel that I would suggest, I would absolutely recommend Punk Rock Jesus by Sean Gordon Murphy. It was one of the first independently published comics I ever read, and the creative, mature, and emotional story really sold me on comics transcending their humble literary beginnings into something far more powerful. It also introduced me to Sean Gordon Murphy as an artist as well as a writer, and he has been one of my favorite artists ever since (some of you may know his work from the recently released DC graphic novel Batman: White Knight , which I also whole-heartedly recommend for anyone who remembers the Bruce Timm animated Batman series of the 90's).

message 4: by 47Time (new)

47Time Nice! Now I'll have to read those too. I wonder if Punk Rock Jesus can be squeezed under 'Walk in Your Shoes.' Then I'll put Batman: White Knight in 'Outside Your Window' and I'm set :)

I'll recommend some comics that I considered to be page turners.

Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas - a preacher gains control of a creature created from the coupling of a devil and angel. His adventures are epicly irreverent as he tries to get God to return to Heaven.

Northlanders, Vol. 1: Sven the Returned - a series of stories featuring multiple vikings and their lives in those harsh, violent times. It has more heart than you would expect from vikings.

100 Bullets, Vol. 1: First Shot, Last Call - an epic story with a moral twist. What would you do if you were given irrefutable evidence of someone who did you wrong and carte blanche to kill that person with no repercussions to you? It's a long one, but worth it.