Start by marking “Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas” as Want to Read:
Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas

Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas

(Preacher #1)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  63,350 ratings  ·  1,563 reviews
One of the most celebrated comics titles of the late 1990s, PREACHER is a modern American epic of life, death, love and redemption also packed with sex, booze, blood and bullets - not to mention angels, demons, God, vampires and deviants of all stripes.

At first glance, the Reverend Jesse Custer doesn't look like anyone special-just another small-town minister s
Comics, 336 pages
Published March 1st 1996 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Preacher, Volume 1, please sign up.
Lukas No, but if you could, Arseface's voice would be priceless.
Roberto Diaz Gone to Texas only has issues 1-7 of the series, there's a new collection called Preacher Book 1 that collects issues 1-12. This one is good if you…moreGone to Texas only has issues 1-7 of the series, there's a new collection called Preacher Book 1 that collects issues 1-12. This one is good if you are beginning to read and can find it cheaper than the new collection, or you're completing the first editions of the collections.(less)

·  63,350 ratings  ·  1,563 reviews

Start your review of Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas
Mark Lawrence
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The young woman with the nose stud who took my payment for this in Forbidden Planet (Bristol) said: "You're starting a weird and wonderful journey, enjoy."

She was not wrong. And I did.

The story thrives on a combination of graphic violence, humour, and weirdness. The main character, Jessie, the eponymous preacher has acquired a rather fine super-power, he has the voice of God, and when he uses it everyone has to obey him. He is ably supported by his girlfriend (currently a
Kemper
Preacher has so much graphic violence that the makers of the Saw movies can’t read it without projectile vomiting.

Preacher has such profane language that Chris Rock would cover his ears if he heard it.

Preacher has acts of sexual perversions so disgusting that Larry Flynt once said he would have never taken his case to the Supreme Court if he knew that this was the kind of stuff that would get published.

But damn, is it a great story.

Jesse Custer, a reluctant redneck minister in a/>/>
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
This book is something else! Violence, sex, booze and craziness. Sign me up!

I read that Seth Rogan is trying to make either a show or movie from this. Lawd Help.
Reverend Jesse Custer is just a Texas preacher-then at a service he bonds with a spirit force named Genesis that makes him be able to get people to do as he asks..just by saying it. He teams up with his gun toting ex-lover Tulip and Booze hound Vampire named Cassidy. And dudes..these are the good guys.

This book is something else! Violence, sex, booze and craziness. Sign me up!

I need the rest of these books..Right now.
Patrick
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, one of the best things about this series is its beginning.

If you've never read Garth Ennis before, this is a good place to start. Because odds are, you're going to love this series, or hate it. And, by no small twist of fate, odds are that you're also going to either love or hate Garth Ennis.

Why would you hate Ennis? Well, because his work contains graphic ultraviolence, vulgarity, and blasphemy on pretty much every conceivable level.

Why would you love Ennis? For pretty much th
Bradley
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
So great! I mean, if it hadn't been for just watching the first season of the TV series, I probably never would have picked this up to read, but then I would have been missing out on more irreverent goodness!

Believe it or not, this picks up right at the end of the first season's action, although, all the character building has already been done on the show, so I'm rearing to go and ready to see what comes next. Thankfully, there's plenty to enjoy!

The Saint of Murderers is
Brad
This did not go the way I expected at all. I haven’t heard a dissenting voice from anyone about Preacher. Not one, although I’ve not looked at any of the reviews here on goodreads. In fact, I’ve had numerous friends say, “You have to read this book,” and, “Dude, you will love this book,” and since it was all from people I trusted, loving Preacher was my expectation.

Nope. I hated this book.

First, this book is populated by the most idiotic array of stereotypes and caricatures (certainly these chara
Sh3lly
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sh3lly by: Hunger For Knowledge
They're making a TV show based on the comic!!! This could be really cool! And it's got this guy (Dominic Cooper) playing the lead character named Jesse Custer.

I can get behind this idea. So this story is about a - yes you guessed it - preacher who is having doubts about his faith. He gets possessed by a half-demon, half-angel hybrid named Genesis. This entity can make people do whatever it wants.
Trudi

After reading Kemper's awesome review I knew I'd be getting to Preacher eventually -- now after having read the first volume I'm left wondering why the hell did I wait so long?!

It's bloody, gory grit and gasoline pulp Texas style, with demons and angels and a possessed preacher, an Irish vampire and a supernatural gunslinger known as the Saint of Killers -- who reminded me instantly of Roland Deschain crossed with Randall Flagg.

Something has gone very wrong in heaven: a terrifyingly powerful entity (the offspring
Ɗẳɳ  2.☊
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was ok
WTF?!

Oh man, I was really expecting to be blown away here, but this was just a colossal disappointment. 😭 So much so, that I'm not sure if I even care to continue—it was a struggle to even make it through this one.

Let's see here . . . two dimension characters, cringe worthy dialog, terrible jokes that mostly fell flat, and a rather dull, juvenile storyline lacking that vital spark. In particular, all the scenes with the Adelphi (some sort of administrative angels) were extremely lame. I didn't care much for the
Rebecca McNutt
Quite a weird book, but intriguing nonetheless and it's worth checking out for the immaculate artwork alone.
Renégade ♥
5 stars

Wow.

I don't even know what to say...

(view spoiler)

This is not the kind of tale that won't sound a bit nuts if I try to explain or describe
Raeleen Lemay
WELL THAT WAS WEIRD
Christian
Mar 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
My problem with some of these "comics for adults" books is that they seem like just that. Its as though a child wanted to prove how adult he was so he filled his book full of sex and swearing and crude jokes so everyone would know he was really mature. And so, as I have found with a lot of these adult comic books, it ends up feeling more juvenile than many of the ones that do not attempt to be labeled as adult.
I really wanted to like this book. I had heard it was funny and thought provoking but
Brandon
Nov 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Brandon by: Sylvia
Shelves: 2012, comix, fiction, vertigo
This was probably the easiest five stars I've handed out to a comic collection. From the insane violence combined with the wildly original story, the first volume of Preacher did exactly what it was supposed to do: hook me and leave me begging for more.

Following it's unexpected escape, the dangerous offspring of an Angel and a Demon bonds with Jesse Custer, a lone Texan minister. Now with the word of God embedded within him, Jesse forms an alliance with his ex-girlfriend Tulip and a drunken Iris
Paul Nelson
I may be a little late jumping on the Preacher bandwagon but thankfully I'm on it and this is yet another one I should have read a long, long time ago.

Jesse Custer is our faithless priest who gets possessed by Genesis, the powerful offspring of a forbidden relationship between Angel and Demon. So the story takes place mainly on terra firma with interludes to heaven, where the powers that be don't really want Genesis around, too dangerous and too powerful. So they send the mean old s
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, z2017
3.5 Stars.

To be honest, I was so close to marking this as a DNF at the start of this volume. I thought it was really hard to get into it and I wasn't enjoying it at all. I'm glad I gave it a chance though because I feel like I'll really enjoy reading this comic series. The second half of the volume was definitely much better than the first half. It also made a lot more sense to me. I wasn't really enjoying the artwork much either at the start but it definitely grew on me. I feel like this is a
Donovan
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: absolutely no one on the face of the earth
Well I wish could go back in time and punch myself in the face, because this book is awesome. Take it from me, sometimes one read is not enough for something that's really different.

Preacher is this insane mix of western, supernatural horror, romance, and black comedy. One of those "impossible" genre combos but it seems to work, at least for me on a second read. It's dark, romantic, creepy, hilarious, exciting, crude, and horrifying. It can definitely be offensive to the religious, the animal l
Andrew
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Some weeks ago I’ve seen the trailer of the tv series and with the help of a friend here (thanks a lot, Jessica) I started this first book. I didn’t know much about the plot, only the few things I read in some reviews and on the book page. Nothing could prepare me to this. I heard the name of Garth Ennis for the first time with this comics, but I will not forget anytime soon.

This is an incredible story, with at the center three unlikely heroes: Jesse Custer, a precher possesed by a s
Oriana
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it
book #11 for Jugs & Capes
& my latest entry at CCLaP

First of all, I understand that it is totally unfair to read only the first two volumes in a series and purport to have a reasonable grasp of said series. My friend Keith, a crazed comics fan who has become the unofficial backseat-driver of my comics tastes, criticized Jugs & Capes for this when we read the first two volumes of Fables a few months ago. He sees this as a problematic pattern: the indie comics we're reading are all se
Danger
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
2ND READ-THROUGH: It’s been about 8 years since I first read Preacher, and since I’ve been watching (and loving) the new television series, I figured what better time to revisit the source material? While the show and the comic are vastly different, at least in terms of story (the characterizations seem fairly consistent), I found this first volume to be everything I remembered. Violent and funny and nihilistic and strange. Since originally reading this, I’ve regarded it as my “favorite comic se ...more
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphicnovel
So far so Good i will do quick character introduction of every well made character we have seen so far
1-Jesse Custer (The Preacher)

Jesse is a preacher who have lost his faith we know that when he spills out all the secrets of the little town he lived in that was supposedly told to him in the confines of the church
Jesse is possessed with a heavenly spirit called g
Sam Quixote
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Garth Ennis is definitely one of my all-time favourite comic book writers. I forget which series I read first - his Punisher MAX run I think followed by The Boys - but I do remember coming to Preacher very late in the game, despite being told it was his finest work to date. And I remember reading it and thinking, no, it’s not. Re-reading it recently, I’m still not convinced and I’m baffled at most readers’ overwhelmingly positive response to it.

Jesse Custer is a former bad boy turned preacher i
Ronyell
Preacher

Introduction:

After reading so many graphic novels that were geared towards older teens and adults (Neil Gaiman’s “Sandman” series and Bill Willingham’s “Fables” series), I never would have thought that I would come across a graphic novel that has coarse language practically littered out throughout the entire story while dealing with a subject matter that is so controversial to many readers. That graphic novel, my friends, is “Preacher: Gone to Texas” and man, was I in for a wild ride of my reading life!

Whatlife!
[Name Redacted]
Aug 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Philip Pullman, fans of Family Guy, fans of Michael Moorcock's "Behold the Man", teenagers
I honestly do not understand why this series was so beloved. I found it dull and derivative, with inferior art-work and unremarkable writing. I tried reading several volumes, but not a one of them reached above a "1 star" rating, and I've long since forgotten which they were. My advice: give this one a pass and move on to something better, like "The Sandman", "Persepolis" or "The Unwritten".

UPDATE: Upon reading many of the reviews I think I understand a little better the root of this
Stephen
5.0 to 5.5 stars. Smart, original, very well written and a ton of fun to read. Garth Ennis is a master. Highly recommended!!
Justin
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damnit, now I'm into digital graphic novels which I can't afford!
Mike
Preacher and Transmetropolitan: the two adult-theme-heavy comics that sucked me back in, HARD, to my youthful addiction. And both funny, gory and angry to boot.

I'm re-reading these - not because in any way do I think there's nothing else good worth reading these days, but simply: they're fun, I enjoyed them immensely the first time around, and dammit, I'm gonna read what passes Sims' "going out the door test" rather than "what are all the cool kids reading right now".

Ennis does a he
Ayman Gomaa
Jun 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
From the one who read Sandman \ Saga and many comics with weird stories , this one was also so weird but unlike Sandman and Sage i wasn't fascinated about it , find it okay but not great unlike many of my friends .

Maybe i will try it in another time and like it who knows but now i don't think so.

قرات كوميكس كثيرة اغرب منها بس غرابة الكوميكس ديه لم تسحرنى , وجدتها غريبة بطريقة مثيرة للشفقة , كان الكاتب تعمد ادخال عناصر كثيرة غريبة للابهار , لا استطيع الحكم من جزء واحد فقط , هى جيدة لكنها ليست
Stephen Robert Collins
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have read this before but now that is a TV series I wished to see the differences between the too.
I was quit surprised they have succeeded in get the dark blasphemous atmosphere of Custer's morbid frame, but Tulip & The Vampire Cassidy. The two devils Tulip is blond bitch but not in TV series, Cassidy is just to tidy but I suspected that if ever made these graphic novels into a TV series they would have to cut the over the top harsh life down.
Roy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cool 1st Volume. Weird wacky and gory. I think my watching of the tv show may have ruined the occasional twists and major plot points a little.
Why We Use Velofel Nz? 1 1 Nov 05, 2019 11:24PM
What Is Krygen Xl? 1 1 Oct 28, 2019 12:33AM
An Overview Of We The People Cbd Oil Update 2019:- 1 1 Oct 15, 2019 11:54PM
International Boo...: Preacher 1 3 Mar 05, 2018 11:22AM
ABQ Graphic Novel...: February 4, 2017- Preacher v 1 3 9 Mar 04, 2017 10:20AM
SciFi and Fantasy...: Preacher 12 86 Sep 01, 2016 02:47PM
COMIC BOOK CRAZIES: PREACHER 10 39 Apr 26, 2016 12:02AM

• Kingdom Come #1 "Strange Visitor"
  • Batman: La Leyenda - Año Cero, Parte 1 (Coleccionable Batman, La Leyenda, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man, Vol. 1: Unmanned (Y: The Last Man, #1)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street
  • Conjurors
  • Batman: The Long Halloween #1
  • Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)
  • Vertigo Essentials: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #1
  • Lucifer, Vol. 5: Inferno
  • Animal Man, Vol. 2: Origin of the Species
  • From Hell, Vol. 1
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • Marvel 1602 #1
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Hellboy, Vol. 1: Seed of Destruction
  • Watchmen #1: At Midnight, All The Agents....
Ennis began his comic-writing career in 1989 with the series Troubled Souls. Appearing in the short-lived but critically-acclaimed British anthology Crisis and illustrated by McCrea, it told the story of a young, apolitical Protestant man caught up by fate in the violence of the Irish 'Troubles'. It spawned a sequel, For a Few Troubles More, a broad Belfast-based comedy featuring two supporting ch ...more

Preacher (9 books)
  • Preacher, Volume 6: War in the Sun
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • Preacher, Volume 8: All Hell's a-Coming
  • Preacher, Volume 9: Alamo
“I thought you an' I'd already settled the roles in the fucker/fuckee relationship! I guess I thought wrong!” 17 likes
Criminal: You can suck my dick, motherfucker!

Detective Bridges: You suck mine! [shoves barrel of pistol in the Criminal's mouth] An' you get used to it, cause you get to Rykers you're gonna find a lot of dick on the goddamn menu! Now grunt twice for yes! You through bitchin'?”
4 likes