Start by marking “Batman: White Knight” as Want to Read:
Batman: White Knight

Batman: White Knight

(Batman: Miniseries)

He’s been called a maniac, a killer and the “Clown Prince of Crime” but “white knight”? Never. Until now…

Set in a world where the Joker is cured of his insanity and homicidal tendencies, The Joker, now known as “Jack,” sets about trying to right his wrongs. First, he plans to reconcile with Harley Quinn, and then he’ll try to save the city from the one person w
Published 2018 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
Aaron It's Teen+ because the content in this first trade paperback version is censored, just like the single issues. An uncensored adult rated version is…moreIt's Teen+ because the content in this first trade paperback version is censored, just like the single issues. An uncensored adult rated version is expected to release next year, according to creator.(less)
Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best of Batman
518 books — 843 voters
Batman by Sean Gordon MurphyBatman by Brian AzzarelloBatman by Alan MooreHarleen by Stjepan ŠejićBatman by Frank Miller
DC Black Label
35 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Batman: White Knight
Anne
If this is any indication of what DC's Black Label will be putting out, I'm all in.

description

Black Label is apparently a mature audience version of the Elseworlds stories, which means this doesn't take place in the regular DC universe. <--so, no harm, no foul.
I like this kind of stuff because writers can screw with the characters and whatnot...without futzing up
Khurram
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome story. This is the best comic mini series I have read in a long time. The blurb at the back said that this was

"Unlike anything we've seen before".

For once this is not just hype. This is truly unlike any Batman story I have ever read. Every Batman fan has heard of the Joker and everyone has an option on him. Now I met Jack Napier, and he could be even more dangerous then the Joker.

Removing the Joker' s insanity was one thing the made this comic great, the second i
Alejandro
Oh, boy, you are in for a show here!

I bought this in its single comic book issues, and even I did reviews of each one of those, however I thought that it was wise to arrange a review of the whole story, using fragment of the previous individual reviews. This TPB collects “Batman: White Knight” #1-8.

Creative Team:

Writer & Illustrator: Sean Murphy

Colorist: Matt Hollingsworth

Letterer: Todd Klein

THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE!!!

Joker might have been responsible for ter/>/>Creative
Sam Quixote
May 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
The Joker takes some magic pills and is no longer “crazy”. In his newly sober state, he decides to help Gotham by ridding it of its greatest scourge: Batman!

Oh boy, White Knight is all kinds of hot garbage! I knew Sean Murphy wasn’t a good writer after reading his laughable book Punk Rock Jesus but I thought he might’ve improved after five years – nuh uh! If anything he’s gotten worse.

The only way Murphy can make his feeble story work is by writing everyone out of character. So Batman is sudde
Sean Gibson
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a general rule, I’m not a big fan of What If?/alternate universe-type stories. On some level, it feels like cheating to take characters created by others, throw off the shackles of continuity under which most of their creators have to operate, and do whatever you want with them with no repercussions. It’s like if you were an Olympic diver who only needed to pull off a half-assed belly flop (or maybe a no-assed belly flop, because if your belly and ass can hit the water at the same time, methi ...more
Chad
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-netgalley, 2019
So I guess DC's Black Label is intended to be a mature version of Elseworlds. I'll start with saying Sean Murphy's art is amazing. It's got some Jock and Bill Sienkiewicz influences but with more definition and flare. Murphy's character and Batmobile designs are top notch. I love the look of his version of Batman's rogues gallery.

To enjoy the story though, requires a heavy suspension of disbelief. Characters are written severely out of the norm. Batman is a huge asshole who cares nothing about
Scott
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though I devour a fair amount of comics / graphic novels I was in the dark (haha) about DC's recent 'Black Label' imprint. Thanks to trustworthy Wikipedia (though we all know Abraham Lincoln once said "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.") I found that the idea is to use the known characters - such as Batman and Superman - in standalone stories intended for mature audiences.

If Batman: White Knight is any indication, I think it's a strong beginning. Taking much inspiration from - but no
Logan
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing read! This is honestly one of the best Batman stories I've read in a long time and I mean that fully! So the story is set in a alternate universe, where Batman has gone off the rails and has become more violent and careless about his actions, that effect the people of Gotham. Then The Joker takes some magic pills that turns him back into Jack Napier and he becomes a politician, with an anti-batman campaign and slowly turns everyone against The Dark Knight!

This is one of the very few Bat
Donovan
White Knight plays on the nature of villainy—villains as saviors and saviors as villains—and what it means to maintain one’s humanity in spite of such madness. Probably one of the most fascinating and original Joker stories I’ve ever read, especially because it so richly redeems this typically grimdark character. It’s incredibly illustrated, and detailed at a fanboy-level fanaticism.
Michael Finocchiaro
Great art, original story - the idea of switching Batman and the Joker is fun and engaging!
Tiago
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've wanted to check this out for a while, but I'll be honest... I couldn't finish it, the story makes absolutely no sense, its like an exercise in disbelief, for example, are we suppose to believe that Joker gets pardoned from prison after a life of terrorism just because Batman got a little too rough on him? There's also a lot of political messages on this one, its long, preachy and tedious to finish, not the kind of Batman story I like to read.
James DeSantis
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was on the fence about this title when first released but glad I gave it a go.

So the joker is reformed. He is no longer the crazy killer clown we all know. Batman doesn't buy this bullshit for one second and brutally beats down the joker. However as the story progresses we actually see the joker isn't lying. With surprise twist from characters like harley Quinn, a new take on nightwing, and barbs and more we have a elseworld that feels different.

Good: the art is of course great. Murphy alway
L. McCoy
Gosh... people like this? For real?

What’s it about?
Batman and Joker are fighting (big surprise) and Joker’s big plan is go un-crazy. He takes some pills to be sane and then becomes Jack Napier, candidate for city councilman (they’re acting like that’s better but TBH, at least a homicidal maniac is honest about being a criminal, a politician ain’t honest about anything). Batman of course doesn’t trust him.

Why it gets 1 star:
When I heard about the hype for this book I was skeptical because it sounded a bit lame and well I gotta say, I
Roy
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This completely flips the switch on the characters in Gotham. The art is amazing!! He has to be up there with Ribic as my fave artists. The story is unique. I know it takes traits ane ideas that made us fall in love with the original characters but I felt like it made its own. It wasn't trying to be the same, it was giving it a new flavour.
Craig
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Not terrible. There's the germ of a good idea here, but Murphy just isn't able to bring it to fruition. Basically, the Joker takes some pills that turn him into Jack Napier, a normal guy who is soon pointing out the corruption within the GCPD and the higher ranks of Gotham City, most of it revolving around Batman (there's a "Batman Devastation Fund" that is hidden in the city's books, and used to pay for the damage caused by fighting supervillains, etc.). Through a pretty contrived sequence of e ...more
Steve
I received this from Edelweiss and DC Comics in exchange for an honest review.

I think I'm in the minority here, but this was a lot of fun, and read almost like an old Elseworlds book: how would Batman respond, as well as the rest of Gotham City, if the Joker was cured of his insanity.

I read this expecting this to be another insane plan by the Joker and the other super-criminals, looking for the hidden secrets showing that I was right. I was surprised at how it played out.
Ray
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero, dc
Personally, I find Joker stories to be an overdone Bat-subgenre. Like how many times can are we supposed to freak out over the dichotomy of Batman as order against his chaotically disturbing violent stakes-upping archnemesis?

But with White Knight, artist extraordinaire Sean Murphy has actually crafted a Bat vs Joker tale with originality. In fact, Joker is the main protagonist of this miniseries. Or rather, his other personality Jack Napier.

And seriously: The art! Jagged figures and sharp arch
Scarlet Cameo
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rc-19
It was good but, it feel like that start so up and slowly go down.

I'm not completelly sure about how I feel with the end (view spoiler).

Not a must read but a fun One.
Wing Kee
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5! Pretty fantastic internal logic and world building.

World: The art is Sean Murphy, that's all you need to say. It's gritty, it's expressive and the art direction is fantastic. I've loved his art for so long and now I get to read something he's written and it's pretty great. The world building here is also absolutely fantastic. It's a mash up of all the best parts of Batman: Animated, TV, Movie, and comics. All the pieces we love are here and mashed together with a backbone of the
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

Where the hell do I begin? To mark the debut of their DC Black Label imprint, fans are served with a stand-alone Elseworlds story that joins the high ranks of comic book masterpieces that have graced this universe so far. With the imprint currently in the process of reprinting some of their most iconic stories, it could not have been a better choice but to begin the process with the release of Batman: White Knight and its bold re-imagining o
David Dalton
I liked this collection. Very well written and drawn. A super good storyline. Picked up the 1st two issues free (sort of) via Comixology Unlimited. But I got hooked and ended up buying the whole collection. One of the best Batman vs Joker thrillers out there.
Malum
The description of this story led me to believe that this was going to be about Batman being the bad guy and Joker being the good guy. I was really excited about that but, unfortunately, it's not really about that at all. Basically, the Joker becomes a lot less of an asshole, and Batman becomes a lot more of an asshole. Batman is still trying to save the day (and being a major jerk about it), and Joker is still unleashing terror on the city (but he's just so swell now).

There are also two Harley
Robert
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, hoopla
The Joker goes (dangerously) sane and poses the very real question, "Is Batman Gotham's greatest villain?"

As an Elseworlds tale this was one of the better ones I've read, and as a casual Bat-fan and DC Lore enthusiast I really dug all of the shout outs, nods and Easter Eggs SGM worked in to the text and the art. He particularly seems to have been influenced by Batman The Animated Series, which work
Marco
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Boring, mediocre and forgettable story, amazing art.
Shannon
Arguably the best Batman tale I have read in a long time.

MY GRADE: A minus to A.
Katherine
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5
Dang!
This was so much better than I expected.
Sumit Singla
Oh, so the Joker decides to clean up his act and become a 'white knight' for Gotham? Where does that leave the now redundant Dark Knight? This is an absolutely great alternate universe story where 'Jack Napier' decides to give Batman a run for his money (literally).

Renouncing his criminal past and his history as the Joker, 'Jack' is now running for office as a Councilman and talking about the danger Batman's vigilantism puts the city in. The most interesting part of the book is the b
Neil R. Coulter
This is one of the best Batman stories I've read, and also one of the best "serious" graphic novels. It's finally a story that takes contemporary issues and weaves them into the graphic novel format in a way that is very intriguing and compelling.

The basic plot is that the Joker takes a medication that seems to heal his mental instability (in this version of the Batman world, the Joker is diagnosably mentally ill, not simply a criminal genius as in The Dark Knight film). Finally able to th
Stewart Tame
As the back cover promises, “The Joker goes sane!” So we have the Joker popping pills to repress his darker side and working to make Gotham a better place, while Batman is feared and hunted by the police. It's your standard role reversal plot, though they don't quite go as far as having the Joker put on tights and fight crime. This is apparently not some alternate universe tale, but actual canon.

It was certainly an enjoyable story. Not having been a regular Batman reader in a long time, I
Yodamom
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Easily the best Batman Story I've ever read. Batman is darkly twisted in this alternate universe. The Joker is not so twisted and everything is.... amazing. This book felt much more grown up, more detailed and dover into darker places than the past Batman books i've read. The illustrations WOW, just fantastic, Matt Hollingsworth is a new favorite.
I am on board for this new series, sign me up for book 2.
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine editions 2 10 Jun 05, 2019 05:25AM

• Batman: Damned
  • Mister Miracle
  • Batman, Volume 7: The Wedding
  • Batman, Volume 8: Cold Days
  • Batman: The Dark Prince Charming
  • Batman, Volume 9: The Tyrant Wing
  • Dark Nights: Metal
  • Immortal Hulk, Volume 1: Or is he Both?
  • Batman: Curse of the White Knight (2019-) #1
  • Joker
  • Batman: Curse of the White Knight (2019-) #2
  • Heroes in Crisis
  • Dark Nights: Metal - Dark Knights Rising

Batman: Miniseries (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • The Untold Legend of the Batman
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
  • Batman: The Cult
  • Batman vs. Predator
  • Batman: Sword of Azrael
  • Batman: Two-Face: Strikes Twice!
  • Legends of the World's Finest