Start by marking “Punk Rock Jesus” as Want to Read:
Punk Rock Jesus

Punk Rock Jesus

(Punk Rock Jesus #1-6)

A New York Times Bestseller!

A reality TV show starring a clone of Jesus Christ causes chaos across the U.S. of the near future in PUNK ROCK JESUS, a new graphic novel written and drawn by Sean Murphy, the acclaimed illustrator of JOE THE BARBARIAN and AMERICAN VAMPIRE.

J2 causes both outrage and adulation. Religious zealots either love or hate the show, angry politicians wo
Published April 9th 2013 by Vertigo (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Punk Rock Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk Rock Jesus

Start your review of Punk Rock Jesus
Anne
I felt like I was reading something written by an angry teenager.
You know the kind I'm talking about...all angsty and earnest, because they know how the world works. And if 'we adults' would just listen to them, then everything would be sunshine and roses.
Poof!
Say goodbye to hatered, war, famine, and poverty!
Mr. 17-And-Knows-It-All has the answers!
Because everything is black and white, right?
Right?
All Republicans are evil, all Christians are bigots, & America is a country brimming with the
Fabian
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jam-packed with badassery and wicked anarchy fun. As poignant as Watchmen, though more accessible & a 'lil less serious.

The punk rocker is one of those authentically unforgettable figures. I still have the searing image of an extremely handsome young dude on the cover of my Punk-O-Rama Vol. 5 CD in my brain... yeah, yeah. I know. Sporting the ever-elusive Mohawk, wearing metallic bracelets, (perhaps some eyeliner?,) a leather jacket, a Black Flag torn-up T (the result of the almighty-albeit-ins
Sam Quixote
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
I feel like I should qualify this review as it deals with a major religion in a clearly blasphemous way and I wouldn’t want anyone thinking I didn’t like this book for religious reasons: I’m not a Christian and I’m not religious in any way. If I had to label myself anything it’d be secular humanist.

Ok, now that that’s out of the way: Punk Rock Jesus is a dumb book. It’s dumb like Point Break except it’s not nearly as funny and I get the feeling it’s trying to be intellectual and profound which
Melki
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
“I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows.”
Bart Simpson

What a great concept!

Let's take DNA from the Shroud of Turin and clone us a new messiah! And make it a reality TV show to boot! Leapin' Lazarus! How can we go wrong?

I don't know...but you did.

I didn't find this book offensive.
Just very, very boring.

Donovan
One of the greatest works of social commentary on organized religion, fundamental Christianity, and the entertainment industry in American culture I’ve ever read. Sean Murphy is one of my all time favorite illustrators, so this being written by him is a bonus, and it being a full length book is a real treat, even in black and white.
Gavin
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Umm...I had no idea what to expect, I purely reserved it based on the title...
and for once? I made a good choice!

Imagine the Truman Show, except with a clone of Jesus Christ, made with DNA samples taken from the Shroud of Turin...and implanted in a Teenage Virgin.
24/7 Cameras document his entire life...

Now imagine, this boy is protected by a former IRA Terrorist, hoping to atone for his sins...a killer known as the Cemetary, due to all the crosses tattooed on his back for every life he's taken..
Nicolo
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: collected-comics
What if a private corporation cloned Jesus and recreate the circumstance of his birth; virgin conception, Christmas birth date, and a twist. Give him a televised upbringing in a reality show. Jesus clone or J2 or Chris is essentially a Kardashian raised in a conservative and fundamentalist Christian environment with a creationist education. That sums up the main story of Punk Rock Jesus.

Sean Murphy initially conceptualized Punk Rock Jesus as an OGN or original graphic novel; his editor, the grea
L. McCoy
So I guess my opinion on Murphy’s work is nearly the opposite of what many say about it.
I know I see a lot of people on this site love Batman: White Knight but think this is stupid. Yeah, I actually really enjoyed this book despite hating White Knight.

What’s it about?
In the futuristic world of 2019 (this comic was written a few years ago) there’s a new reality TV show coming: J2. The producers have a plan to clone Jesus Christ. They’ll have this big thing where they film his life on camera, not
Nick
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was the case of the story just not living up to the premise. A science fiction comic book about a clone of Jesus Christ who gets into punk rock? Sure, sounds fun. In reality, J2 as he's called is an ancillary character who ends up being a mouthpiece for mediocre diatribes against religion. Thomas the Irish bodyguard and former IRA terrorist was a much more interesting character, but just didn't seem to jell with the story. The whole comic feels like a half-baked attempt to bring two interes ...more
মাহাতাব রশীদ
A multinational entertainment company starts a project called J2, which creates a clone from Jesus Christ's DNA, and make a 24 hour live reality show on clones daily life from birth. Half of the world considers it as the second coming of christ, and other half names him as the Antichrist and declares war against him, and the show TRP keeps getting higher and higher. The story unfolds with different characters around the project, and each of them has different reasons to be in this story.

Definit
Alexander
Jul 07, 2020 rated it liked it
artwork great, story eh, nihilistic worldview childish
Callie *Fights Censorship*
This book was ultimately a disappointment, I'm not entirely sure what the point was other than there is no God and religion sucks. The problem is that this story proved to be just as narrow minded and didactic as the author claims religion to be.

Ultimately the premise of the story could have been something really thought provoking and different but it was very one sided and ironically all independent thought is smothered by the author's obvious opinions. He does not ask you to think, he tells y
Jedi JC Daquis
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Jesus has been cloned. Unfortunately, the world he's been living in believes that the only ways of life are watching reality TV shows, waging wars and attending punk rock concerts.

There is one ridiculously wrong setting premise in Punk Rock Jesus: that everybody has gone dumb. Everybody, even the Jesus clone are all one-dimensional. There is no character development and depth. J-clone going all rebellious and punk is not worth the hype.

There is so much blasphemy in this material. I'm okay with t
Raina
In a near future, a reality television show begins - starring the clone of Jesus Christ.

Honestly, it doesn't feel that far off. It's a Truman Show-like concept, plus the added religious fervor.

I found the author's note at the end about his own personal convictions very interesting. The scientist and polar bear which live on the complex with "Chris" were my favorite characters.

I was a little disappointed that a big chunk of the plotline focused on the head of security for the show. He had an in
47Time
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-fiction
The Shroud of Turin is a fake, but let's assume it's real. DNA from the Shroud could only have remained viable if frozen and vacuum-sealed - did they have fridges and vacuum cleaners in Jesus's time? How about for the following, say, 1900 years? No? OK, but it's a story, right? I mean the scientist claims to have developed a method to undo 2000 years of damage to the DNA, so there you go. She also mentions pheromone production as important in a child's development. Humans can't detect pheromones ...more
Eli
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The complete book version of this is pretty thick but, unknown to me at the time, it’s half filled with post-story drawings, character write-ups, cover gallery, etc. Since this was only 2 stars, I finished it a lot sooner than anticipated by skipping the entire second half.

One thing I can say is that it’s anticlimactic. Considering I did have a whole half of the book left to read, I was still shocked when I saw “the end.” I was kind of just like “...that’s it?” Felt like a small buildup to absol
Francis
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a good graphic novel. The art and characters were very well posed for the frames and you can tell this book was meticulously planned and designed.

The story however while promising, is not written well. This was a missed opportunity to put this book amongst the greats.

Almost but I enjoyed it
Venus Maneater
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I fell head over heels in love with Sean Murphy's wild style when I read Tokyo Ghost, one of my absolute faves.

So when a friend recommended me PRJ I jumped to the chance after I spend the night at his and needed something to read while waking up over a cup of tea.

Is it great breakfast reading material? Well, it is when your partner in breakfast is reading the newspaper and political & religious turmoil is almost radiating off the pages. Chris' anger made all the more sense to me with the curren
Kelli Trei
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Man, I'm only above one star because of Thomas's story. This book is just...dumb. it's overly simplified teen angst with tired arguments. The idea is good but poorly executed. And what's with the angels?? Sigh.
Mark
Feb 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Found this graphic novel at my local comic book store. Been wanting to read this for a while.
Shane Perry
May 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am not exaggerating when I say that this is perhaps the most important comic book since Watchmen. Anyone who tells you this book is blasphemous trash must have stopped reading halfway through. It is a book that will make many readers uncomfortable and that is a great thing. It is great because it allows for a very important dialogue to be opened up: are there dangers to our desire to cling to religion? There are multiple view points brought forth in this comic, and, while the author does take ...more
Danielle Long
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Note: I'm not a real religious person so my opinions on this is strictly that and from years of going to church in my youth:

I did enjoy Punk Rock Jesus but I have some issues with it.

1.) Recreating a clone of Jesus and following him on live t.v. as a reality show doesn't sit well with me.

2.) The author make the Christians why too crazy. I know that we have gun carrying bible thumbing people already in this society.

3.) If Jesus does come back it going to be by nature or by the will of God hims
Lubna
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. .

I am normally attracted to anything that has the word "punk" in it, but this did not live up to a standard. It was okay, it actually had one hell of a core to the story, but it was not executed in the desired way. The pacing was off, either too fast and lacking essential detail or too slow and overly detailed. The middle volumes were the my favorite, they were the ones that dealt with the whole "punk" scene and I wish more of the story was like that. All in all, I would recommend thi
Jessica
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Punk Rock Jesus was obviously a labor of love for writer/artist Murphy, and his enthusiasm shows through on every page. The writing is a bit uneven in places, but the emotion he conveys through his art covers up a multitude of sins. You may not agree with all of his conclusions or the choices he makes, but you will be moved by his passion and his detailed yet moody black and white art. Punk Rock Jesus is a bit heavy-handed in places, but it is a very satisfying story supplemented by gorgeous art ...more
Patrick
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A daring concept! Decent artwork! The storyline kept me intrigued up until the last few pages. Then it seemed like Murphy got to a point where he said "The story is told, now how do I bring this all to a close?" A fairly controversial idea and I could see how a lot of religious fanatics would be hear over heels upset by this book - I like that!
RG
Nov 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A story written and drawn by Murphy where a reality tv show places a clone of Jesus Christ at the forefront. Chaos throughout the media amd religious groups begin. Its pretty cool and is a clever little novel. Murphy's art style has grown on me over the read quite a bit. Reccomend this for people who want something a bit different.
rhea
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
WWPRJD

(Ask GG Allin... cuz his name was Jesus Christ...or read this book)
Miriam Rodrigues
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
what an amazing, controversial story.
Andrew
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The pile of new atheist hack books in our hero's bedroom isn't enough to hurt my five star rating for this incredibly engrossing and interesting work. Punk Rock Jesus deserves to be considered among other classic graphic novels. While I feel very fortunate that my public library had a copy of this, I'm going to need a copy of my own.
Jason Pym
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Jesus Christ is cloned from the Turin Shroud, and his clone 'J2' appears on a reality TV show.

This series first came out in 2012, and if I'd read it then I'd have had some issues with how things play out. After four years of the current president, I think this is exactly how it would play out, unfortunately.

"J2 producer Rick Slater witnessed the miracle first-hand and is calling on the Catholic church to officially declare this event as a Eucharist miracle. Minutes later a tweet was released fr
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Planetary Omnibus
  • Tokyo Ghost, Vol. 1: Atomic Garden
  • Ascender, Vol. 2: The Dead Sea
  • Superman: Up in the Sky
  • Chrononauts (Chrononauts #1-4)
  • The Animal Man Omnibus
  • Bog Bodies
  • A.D.: After Death
After breaking into the industry at a young age, Sean Murphy made a name for himself in the world of indie comics before joining up with DC. In his tenure, he has worked on such titles as Batman/Scarecrow: Year One, Teen Titans, Hellblazer, Joe The Barbarian, and the critically acclaimed miniseries American Vampire: Survival Of The Fittest and The Wake with Scott Snyder. Murphy also wrote and illu ...more

Punk Rock Jesus (6 books)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #1 (of 6)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #2 (of 6)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #3 (of 6)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #4 (of 6)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #5 (of 6)
  • Punk Rock Jesus #6 (of 6)

News & Interviews