Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Archives Retired Folder Threads > Reading George Eliot 2019 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9189 comments Mod
George Eliot was the pen name of Mary Ann Evans, one of the leading English novelists of the 19th century. Her novels, most famously Middlemarch, are celebrated for their realism and psychological insights.

This year (2019) would be her 200th birthday.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

George Eliot

George Eliot was born on 22 November 1819 in rural Warwickshire. When her mother died in 1836, Eliot left school to help run her father's household. In 1841, she moved with her father to Coventry and lived with him until his death in 1849. Eliot then travelled in Europe, eventually settling in London.

In 1850, Eliot began contributing to the 'Westminster Review', a leading journal for philosophical radicals, and later became its editor. She was now at the centre of a literary circle through which she met George Henry Lewes, with whom she lived until his death in 1878. Lewes was married and their relationship caused a scandal. Eliot was shunned by friends and family.

Lewes encouraged Eliot to write. In 1856, she began 'Scenes of Clerical Life', stories about the people of her native Warwickshire, which were published in 'Blackwood's Magazine'. Her first novel, 'Adam Bede', followed in 1859 and was a great success. She used a male pen name to ensure her works were taken seriously in an era when female authors were usually associated with romantic novels.

Her other novels include 'The Mill on the Floss' (1860), 'Silas Marner' (1861), 'Romola' (1863), 'Middlemarch' (1872) and 'Daniel Deronda' (1876). The popularity of Eliot's novels brought social acceptance, and Lewes and Eliot's home became a meeting place for writers and intellectuals.

After Lewes' death Eliot married a friend, John Cross, who was 20 years her junior. She died on 22 December 1880 and was buried in Highgate Cemetery in north London.

Reference: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/historic...

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Works by George Eliot

Novels
Adam Bede by George Eliot Adam Bede, 1859
The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot The Mill on the Floss, 1860
Silas Marner by George Eliot Silas Marner, 1861
Romola by George Eliot Romola, 1863
Felix Holt The Radical by George Eliot Felix Holt: The Radical, 1866
Middlemarch by George Eliot Middlemarch, 1871–72
Daniel Deronda by George Eliot Daniel Deronda, 1876

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life by George Eliot Scenes of Clerical Life, 1857
The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob by George Eliot The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob, 1864
Maggie and Tom Tulliver by George Eliot Maggie and Tom Tulliver

George Eliot also wrote non-fiction, poetry, and essays.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

You can personalize your challenge to read as many of her works as you want for the year.

Only books read between 1 January 2019 - 22 November 2019 can be included.

This challenge can be used in conjunction with all of our other challenges. So you can double up and use the same book for as many as you like!

NOTE: When posting advancements on your challenge, please copy and re-post your original selections with your changes or post the original message number so interested members can follow your progress.

message 5: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

You might want to use this list to start your challenge post. Then you can fill in the dates as you read the books.

Also feel free to add to the group discussions for George Eliot's books.

Novels
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Silas Marner
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life
The Lifted Veil
Brother Jacob
Maggie and Tom Tulliver

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Reserved

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy's George Eliot 200 Celebration Challenge

Novels
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Silas Marner
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life
The Lifted Veil
Brother Jacob
Maggie and Tom Tulliver

message 8: by Aubrey (last edited Dec 05, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments Oh, now I have to read Silas Marner and Romola. Nice. That'll make for five Evans' works. I'd like to think there'll be more, but I'm not going to push it

Novels
Silas Marner
Romola

message 9: by siriusedward (last edited Dec 03, 2018 06:09AM) (new)

siriusedward (elenaraphael) | 2011 comments Elena's GE 200 challenge

Adam Bede
Scenes of Clerical Life
Essays

And maybe
Some poems by her.

message 10: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3579 comments Kathleen's George Eliot *Celebration* (under construction)

Novels
Adam Bede
Daniel Deronda

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life

Essays

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Does anyone know anything about "Maggie and Tom Tulliver"? Because it sounds like an abridged version of The Mill on the Floss.
(i.e., not a separate work)

Also, I believe The Lifted Veil and Brother Jacob are long narrative poems.

message 12: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Christopher wrote: "Does anyone know anything about "Maggie and Tom Tulliver"? Because it sounds like an abridged version of The Mill on the Floss.
(i.e., not a separate work)

Also, I believe The Lifted Veil and Brot..."

Haven't read any of those so can't say. I was just pulling works off of web pages about Eliot. I guess we will find out over the year

message 13: by MK (last edited Dec 04, 2018 05:09PM) (new)

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments These really long 1800s novels haven't proved to be my favorites ... but Middlemarch has been on my bucket list for a long time. I'll commit to that one, and see how it goes ;-)

MK's Reading George Eliot George Eliot 2019 Challenge:

1. Middlemarch by George Eliot

--------------------------------------------------------------------

MK's 2019 Challenge Threads (or Posts) ...

A-Z Author Challenge
A-Z Title Challenge
Classic Bingo Challenge
Old & New Classic Challenge
Reading George Eliot 2019 Challenge
Quest for Women Authors Challenge

MK's Other Challenge Threads (or Posts) ...

message 14: by Anetq (last edited Dec 03, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Anetq | 309 comments I have been considering giving Middlemarch a go - I guess it's the year!
We'll see how it goes and what else to add...

Novels: Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, Romola, Felix Holt The Radical, Daniel Deronda, Middlemarch
Novelas: Scenes of Clerical Life, The Lifted Veil, Brother Jacob
Maggie and Tom Tulliver

message 15: by Candi (new)

Candi (candih) | 743 comments I really enjoyed Middlemarch, but loved The Mill on the Floss! Daniel Deronda was a bit harder to get through initially, but the payoff was worth it.

I'd like to read one or two Eliot's this year in celebration of her 200th birthday. My top choices to try in 2019:

1. Romola
2. Scenes of Clerical Life

message 16: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments Anetq wrote: "I have been considering giving Middlemarch a go - I guess it's the year!
We'll see how it goes and what else to add...

Novels: Adam Bede, The Mill on the Floss, Silas Marner, Romola, Felix Holt Th..."

You won't regret it!!

message 17: by Susie (last edited Aug 15, 2019 03:40PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Susie's George Eliot 200th Birthday Celebration Reads...

3/5

1. The Lifted Veil 1/6/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2. Adam Bede 5/30/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐

3. The Mill on the Floss.

4. Scenes of Clerical Life

Alternate and/or if time!
5. Silas Marner - 8/15/19 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

message 18: by MJ (new)

MJ | 180 comments So.... this is your way of saying I should finally read Middlemarch? I bought it several years ago and has been on my tbr even longer, but have never managed to get to it. I haven't read anything of hers. I'm in!!

message 19: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

So nice to see many of you interested in reading George Eliot in the coming year.

message 20: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2357 comments Katy wrote: "So nice to see many of you interested in reading George Eliot in the coming year."

I sure hope so! She's fab.

message 21: by KarenMc (new)

KarenMc | 24 comments Novels
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Silas Marner
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life
The Lifted Veil
Brother Jacob
Maggie and Tom Tulliver

message 22: by KarenMc (last edited Dec 05, 2018 12:14PM) (new)

KarenMc | 24 comments I am so excited for this challenge! I read Middlemarch last year with my book group and we absolutely loved it! I have been wanting to read more of her books and this is the perfect challenge to motivate me to do so. :)

Happy Birthday Ms. Evans!!

message 23: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 125 comments I'd like to read them all even though I've read Middlemarch, Silas Marner and Daniel Deronda. But considering I had a really "off" reading year for 2018, I can only promise to try to get to as many as I can. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Katy. One thing is certain, I love Eliot's writing! :-)

message 24: by LiLi (new)

LiLi | 85 comments I have loved every one of Eliot's novels that I've read. She's my absolute favourite. I still haven't read _Romola_, _Daniel Deronda_, or _Felix Holt_, because I wanted to save some Eliot for the future! I'll probably try to read one of them next year. I'm also interested in rereading _Middlemarch_. It was the first Eliot I read, back in 2001, so it's been a long time.

message 25: by Susie (last edited Dec 05, 2018 04:49PM) (new)

Susie | 731 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I have loved every one of Eliot's novels that I've read. She's my absolute favourite. I still haven't read _Romola_, _Daniel Deronda_, or _Felix Holt_, because I wanted to save some Eliot for the f..."

I'm saving my Jane Austen reads the same way...one a year and I skipped this year, so 2019 is looking good for another one! 🤗

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 731 comments MJ wrote: "So.... this is your way of saying I should finally read Middlemarch? I bought it several years ago and has been on my tbr even longer, but have never managed to get to it. I haven't read anything o..."

We read here as a quarterly read and that helped my motivation/commitment to start, but the book itself did the rest. Enjoy!

message 27: by Leni (new)

Leni Iversen (leniverse) | 1183 comments Excellent! I have read three of her novels (Middlemarch, The Mill on the Floss, and Silas Marner) and I'm ready to add to that! I also have her Essay collection and while it's not on the list here, I mean to read it in 2019.

message 28: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 1578 comments I've read Middlemarch and Silas Marner, so I will try for two more this year.

1. The Mill on the Floss
2. Adam Bede

message 29: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 179 comments Leni wrote: "Excellent! I have read three of her novels (Middlemarch, The Mill on the Floss, and Silas Marner) and I'm ready to add to that! I also have her Essay collection and while it's not on the list here,..."

Good point, Leni.

The Essays of "George Eliot" Complete

message 30: by Pink (new)

Pink | 6556 comments I've read Middlemarch (loved it) and Silas Marner (didn't love it), so I'll aim for one book in 2019. I'm not sure which to pick yet and will probably wait and see what comes up in group or buddy reads.

Novels
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
Daniel Deronda

message 31: by George P. (last edited May 10, 2019 04:47PM) (new)

George P. | 522 comments I haven't read any G Eliot, and it seems time I did with this stimulus. Most of her books are pretty lengthy, so I think I will do what most readers do and read Silas Marner first. Of my ten GR friends who've read it only two rated it less than 4 stars. I suspect its less-than-outstanding average rating to be due to it being required of a lot of people in school who would otherwise not choose it.
If I enjoy Silas, I'll go on to probably either
Daniel Deronda or The Mill on the Floss. I liked the miniseries of D Deronda that I saw.

message 32: by Renee (last edited Dec 17, 2018 03:39AM) (new)

Renee | 864 comments I haven't read anything by George Eliot either, so I think I'm going to try Silas Marner, and The Mill on the Floss since I already own those two. We'll see if I can get to more of them during the year.

message 33: by Pradnya (new)

Pradnya (pradnyad) | 2 comments Will read as many as i can!

message 34: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 44 comments I'd certainly like to read more Eliot - Silas Marner and Mill on the Floss are available in the Penguin English Library editions I already collect, so I'll pick them up during the year.

message 35: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 28, 2019 01:58AM) (new)

Elizabeth | 58 comments I'm going to try and read most of what she's written over the next year. I'm going to try and incorporate them into other challenges! Let's see how this goes...

Scenes of Clerical Life 28/01/2019
The Lifted Veil 21/01/19
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Silas Marner
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
How Lisa Loved the King
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda
Brother Jacob
Impressions of Theophrastus Such
Selected Essays etc.

message 36: by Vicky (last edited Sep 28, 2019 11:20PM) (new)

Vicky | 49 comments I am going to try to read some of her work,however,this will have to suffice for this year-an excellent novel-certainly one of the finest I have ever read:

The Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
The Mill on the Floss ✔19/1/19★★★★★

message 37: by Nathalie (new)

Nathalie | 325 comments Nathalie’s George Eliot 200 Celebration Challenge

Novels
Silas Marner
Middlemarch

I’ve never read anything by George Eliot so I’ll start with these two.

message 38: by Anonymouse (new)

Anonymouse | 38 comments I'm in. Have read all the novels except for Felix Holt and Romola. Would like to read those and reread the rest. If I don't run out of time and/or enthusiasm would like to read the novellas as well.

message 39: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4563 comments Mod
I'd need to read Felix Holt: The Radical, Romola and The Lifted Veil. That would leave me only the poetry and essays to tackle.

message 40: by Annette (last edited Nov 21, 2019 09:27AM) (new)

Annette | 442 comments I am hoping to read or reread all of the Eliot writings that I can get my hands on in 2019. I enjoyed reading a number of her novels in school. (Edit: Sadly, I'm not going to make it through all of the rereads before her birthday. I've decided to concentrate on finding and reading the ones new to me.)

Novels
Adam Bede - reread, June 2019, 5 stars
The Mill on the Floss -reread, August 2019, 5 stars
Silas Marner - previously read
Romola - first read on kindle/listened on Audible, Oct-Nov 2019, 5 stars
Felix Holt The Radical - first read, listened on Audible, Aug-Oct 2019, 5 stars
Middlemarch - previously read
Daniel Deronda - first read, Sept-Oct 2019, 4 stars

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life - first read, July 2019, 4 stars
The Lifted Veil - first read, July 2019, 3 stars
Brother Jacob - first read, July 2019, 4 stars
Maggie and Tom Tulliver - first read, August 2019, 4 stars

Poetry
Two Lovers - first read, September 2019, 4 stars
How Lisa Loved the King - first read, September 2019, 4 stars
I Grant you Ample Leave - first read, September 2019
In a London Drawingroom - first read, September 2019
The Choir Invisible -- first read, September 2019

message 41: by Karen Michele (last edited Apr 14, 2019 08:59AM) (new)

message 42: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

I think I will start my year of Reading George Eliot with this book:

Selected Essays, Poems and Other Writings by George Eliot Selected Essays, Poems and Other Writings

message 43: by Kev (new)

Kev (kevruiz) | 11 comments Love The Mill on the Floss IN 2018 I read Middlemarch which had sat on my shelf for over a decade...and I struggled. Have Daniel Deronda and Adam Bede on my shelf..and have had for over a year now, but I have promised myself I will read them in 2019 as well as a 6th re-read of Mill on the Floss

message 44: by George P. (new)

George P. | 522 comments Kev wrote: "Love The Mill on the Floss IN 2018 I read Middlemarch ......I will read them in 2019 as well as a 6th re-read of Mill on the Floss.."

Sixth reading? Omigosh I've never read a book more than twice and not many of those. Have you read other books multiple times as well?

message 45: by Anonymouse (new)

Anonymouse | 38 comments Started reread of Adam Bede yesterday.

message 46: by Tonia (new)

Tonia (yestonia) | 250 comments I have been aiming to read some George Eliot in my challenges for the last couple of years but for whatever reason (too much else going on usually!) I just haven't ever gotten around to it.

I WILL read something of hers this year!!

Novels
Adam Bede
The Mill on the Floss
Silas Marner
Romola
Felix Holt The Radical
Middlemarch
Daniel Deronda

Novelas
Scenes of Clerical Life
The Lifted Veil
Brother Jacob
Maggie and Tom Tulliver

message 47: by Anonymouse (last edited Feb 08, 2019 11:21AM) (new)

Anonymouse | 38 comments Finished reread of Adam Bede last night. It had been a couple of years since I had read any George Eliot. Now I remember why I love her books so much that several of them would be "Desert Island Book Shelf" choices. She just wrote so beautifully and richly that it is a pure pleasure to read her work.

Loved the descriptions of country lives and personalities in pre-railroad rural England so vividly captured in Adam Bede. No spoiler here: the shocking and suspenseful parts still gripped me the second time around which is for me evidence of superior writing. I am aware of the imperfections of this book but the perfections shine so brightly for me that they more than compensate for any of the deficiencies.

message 48: by Sara, Old School Classics (new)

Sara (phantomswife) | 4563 comments Mod
I agree, nothing not to like about Eliot.

message 49: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Shaver | 172 comments Adam Bede was great, but a little slow in places.

message 50: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 3579 comments I'm reading Scenes of Clerical Life. I am loving it, but it is going very slow. Mainly because I'm reading lots of other books too, but it does strike me that she packs so much into this, that it just isn't something you can whiz through.

I've read two of her other novels, and I get the feeling that she learned as time went on to maybe hold back a little bit, in order to make for a better narrative flow. This was her first work of fiction, and this is the one (only) area that I think she improved on!

I'm just mentioning this because I think there were a few people who were going to read Scenes of Clerical Life as their first book of hers, and I'm not sure this is the best one to start with, but I'd love to hear what others who've read it think.

« previous 1 3