PenPal Readers discussion

✳️ 2019 Challenges > P is for PenPal challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jan 22, 2019 07:23PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments *******************
Quicklinks to Participant threads: Essie | Chloe | Anne | Mion | Jazzy |

We’re a group from around the world who love to read and write to PenPals – so here’s a themed PenPal task challenge!

Starts:Anytime
Ends:When you're done. You can set a goal for # of tasks, or just jump in and see how far you get.

******************TASKS:***********************

P is for PenPal
- A book title that begins with letter ‘P’ (can be after ‘The’ or ‘A’ ) (ie. Prince Caspian, The Princess Bride, A Passage to India.)

A pair of Pals
- A book featuring two or more friends, pals, buddies (ie. Harry Potter, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, A Separate Peace, Percy Jackson,)

All nations
- A book title that includes a nationality (Anna And The French Kiss; How To Be A Kosovan Bride; Norwegian Wood, The English Patient, One Indian Girl, Outback:My Australian story, Zorba the Greek, An American Marriage)

It’s a small world
– A book written by an author with the same name as you (first or last), or an author who was born/lived in the same city/country as you.

Time to read
– A book title that includes a time-related word - time, second, minute, hour, clock, day, week, month, year, decade, century, era, early, late, now, never, soon, present, past, future, ( ie. A wrinkle in time, The Year of magical thinking, The Twelfth day of July, Never let me go, The Late Show)

Going Postal
– A book mentioning any of: stamps, letters, postcards, envelopes, cards, stickers, mailbox, post office (ie. The sweetness at the bottom of the pie, Death of a Postman, Toot and Puddle, Dracula, 84 Charing Cross Road, )

1600 members strong
– A book with a number in the title. (ie. Slaughterhouse Five, This One Summer, 1984, Three Blind Mice, Catch-22)

All year long, no matter the weather
– A book title that includes a season or weather – Spring, Summer, Fall, Autumn, Winter (White Truffles In Winter, The Winds of War, The Summer Queen, Before I Fall, The Snow Child)

PenPal Reader Recommended
– A book you discovered through any of group activities, or that a PenPal member has read/recommended.

P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E
- A book title that begins with any of the letters in the word Participate: A, C, E, I, P, R, T (exclude articles A, An, The, At, In, On, Of ) . (ie. T - A Tale of Two Cities; E-Everything, Everything ; P - The Princess Bride; )

READ. WRITE. SHARE. CONNECT
- A book with a one word title. (ie. Circe, Rebecca, 1984, Holes, Speak, Room, Middlemarch, Stardust, Outlander)

The fun starts at ONE
- Respond to ONE PenPal request or Join ONE Group Activity

message 2: by joanna (new)

joanna (nnewt) | 33 comments Sounds great, I’d love to do this challenge :)

message 3: by Chloe (last edited Apr 09, 2019 04:43AM) (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Thought I'd started a thread for this, so here it is:

P is for PenPal Poison

A pair of Pals - Heretics Anonymous

All nations

It’s a small world Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Time to read - Every Heart a Doorway

Going Postal - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

1600 members strong The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

All year long, no matter the weather The Summer I Turned Pretty

PenPal Reader Recommended The Sun Is Also a Star

P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E - Coraline

READ. WRITE. SHARE. CONNECT - Forbidden

The fun starts at ONE - January CopyCat Challenge

message 4: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Awesome Chloe!! January's not over yet and you completed 6 tasks already!! Great reads, too :)

I really want to read Coraline this year! ❤ Neil Gaiman

message 5: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 26, 2019 08:39PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments 🎉🙌🤸‍♀️ 12/12 COMPLETED 🎉🙌🤸‍♀️

✔️P is for PenPal - title begins with P
Pippi Longstocking

✔️A pair of Pals - book with pals in it
The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell
(Sam and Ernie - boyhood friends through to adulthood)

✔️All nations - title with nationality in it
Zorba the Greek

✔️It’s a small world - author same name or nationality
Sloth at the Zoom by Helaine Becker
(author is dual citizen Canada/US - she's living in Toronto, ON - the city I was born in)

✔️Time to read - title with time-related word in it
What Happens Next? Conversations from MARS

✔️Going Postal - book with any postal theme/words
The Art of Hearing Heartbeats (after a father goes missing, family finds a love letter he wrote many years ago to a Burmese woman they have never heard of, and the daughter travels to Burma to find her).

✔️1600 members strong - number in the title
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

✔️All year long, no matter the weather - title with weather/season in it
The Winter of the Witch

✔️PenPal Reader Recommended
The Travelling Cat Chronicles

✔️P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E - - book title starts w/ letter
C - Chernobyl: The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe

✔️READ. WRITE. SHARE. CONNECT - - one word title
Changeling

✔️The fun starts at ONE - PPR activity
January CopyCat Challenge

Chernobyl The History of a Nuclear Catastrophe by Serhii Plokhy The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid What Happens Next? Conversations from MARS by Adam Savage The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3) by Katherine Arden Changeling (Six Stories, #3) by Matt Wesolowski The Extraordinary Life of Sam Hell by Robert Dugoni Sloth at the Zoom by Helaine Becker The Art of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

message 6: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Anne ✨ wrote: "Awesome Chloe!! January's not over yet and you completed 6 tasks already!! Great reads, too :)

I really want to read Coraline this year! ❤ Neil Gaiman"

Yeah I've been trying to match all my books to challenges!! Sadly I didn't really like Coraline, I only gave it 2 stars. I really really loved the film so I think it was going to be hard to beat and it just didn't really do anything for me!

message 7: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments There's so many challenges that I totally missed this! Joining in now!

P is for PenPal
- A book title that begins with letter ‘P’ (can be after ‘The’ or ‘A’ ) (ie. Prince Caspian, The Princess Bride, A Passage to India.)

A pair of Pals
- A book featuring two or more friends, pals, buddies (ie. Harry Potter, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, A Separate Peace, Percy Jackson,)

All nations
- A book title that includes a nationality (Anna And The French Kiss; How To Be A Kosovan Bride; Norwegian Wood, The English Patient, One Indian Girl, Outback:My Australian story, Zorba the Greek, An American Marriage)

It’s a small world
– A book written by an author with the same name as you (first or last), or an author who was born/lived in the same city/country as you.

Time to read
– A book title that includes a time-related word - time, second, minute, hour, clock, day, week, month, year, decade, century, era, early, late, now, never, soon, present, past, future, ( ie. A wrinkle in time, The Year of magical thinking, The Twelfth day of July, Never let me go, The Late Show)

Going Postal
– A book mentioning any of: stamps, letters, postcards, envelopes, cards, stickers, mailbox, post office (ie. The sweetness at the bottom of the pie, Death of a Postman, Toot and Puddle, Dracula, 84 Charing Cross Road, )

1600 members strong
– A book with a number in the title. (ie. Slaughterhouse Five, This One Summer, 1984, Three Blind Mice, Catch-22)

All year long, no matter the weather
– A book title that includes a season or weather – Spring, Summer, Fall, Autumn, Winter (White Truffles In Winter, The Winds of War, The Summer Queen, Before I Fall, The Snow Child)

PenPal Reader Recommended The Book of Tea

P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E Ella Enchanted

READ. WRITE. SHARE. CONNECT Foundation

The fun starts at ONE January Copy Cat Challenge

The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1) by Gail Carson Levine Foundation (Foundation, #1) by Isaac Asimov

message 8: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 16, 2019 12:57PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments ✅P is for PenPal
A book title that begins with letter ‘P’
The Peppercorn Tree - Jill Lovett ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅A Pair of Pals
A book featuring two or more friends
Les Misérables - Victor Hugo ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

All Nations
A book title that includes a nationality
Jamaica Inn - Daphne du Maurier

✅It’s a Small World
A book written by an author with the same name as you (first or last), or an author who was born/lived in the same city/country as you.
The Murder at the Vicarage - Agatha Christie ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅Going Postal
A book mentioning any of: stamps, letters, postcards, envelopes, cards, stickers, mailbox, post office
Esther's Inheritance - Sándor Márai ⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅1600 members strong
A book with a number in the title.
4.50 from Paddington - Agatha Christie ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅All year long, no matter the weather
A book title that includes a season or weather – Spring, Summer, Fall, Autumn, Winter
Summers With Juliette - Emily Madden ⭐⭐⭐

✅PenPal Reader Recommended
A book you discovered through any of group activities, or that a PenPal member has read/recommended.
The Book of Tea - Kakuzō Okakura ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅P-A-R-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-E
A book title that begins with any of the letters in the word PARTICIPATE
The Castlemaine Murders - Kerry Greenwood ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅READ. WRITE. SHARE. CONNECT
A book with a one word title
Psycho - Robert Bloch ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

✅The fun starts at ONE
Respond to ONE PenPal request or Join ONE Group Activity
Sent HELLO card!

The Peppercorn Tree by Jill Lovett Les Misérables by Victor Hugo Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) by Agatha Christie Murder on a Midsummer Night (Phryne Fisher, #17) by Kerry Greenwood Esther's Inheritance by Sándor Márai 4.50 from Paddington (Miss Marple, #8) by Agatha Christie Summers With Juliette by Emily Madden The Book of Tea by Kakuzō Okakura The Castlemaine Murders (Phryne Fisher, #13) by Kerry Greenwood Psycho by Robert Bloch

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 2 comments I will try this challenge. It is almost March see how far I get.

message 10: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Nancy wrote: "I will try this challenge. It is almost March see how far I get."

It's an ongoing challenge so you can take as long as you like :)

message 11: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments If Candy Land was a nationality I would be ahead by one more book ;)

message 12: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) I'm only one challenge away! Just a book with a nationality in the title to go!

message 13: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Chloe wrote: "I'm only one challenge away! Just a book with a nationality in the title to go!"

Awesome, you got this! That task is one of the more limiting ones.... it's totally fine if it's the name of a country or nationality! (ie Greece or Greek)

message 14: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Anne ✨ wrote: "Chloe wrote: "I'm only one challenge away! Just a book with a nationality in the title to go!"

Awesome, you got this! That task is one of the more limiting ones.... it's totally fine if it's the n..."

Well I've got a long time to complete it, so I'll get to it one day ;)

message 15: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments I've been one away for over a month. I need the same one as well!

message 16: by Chloe (new)

Chloe Matthews (chloee_matthews) Jazzy wrote: "I've been one away for over a month. I need the same one as well!"

It's so annoying!

If I read Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan I could get to the sequel China Rich Girlfriend by the end of the year... I think that's my plan!

message 17: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Chloe wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "I've been one away for over a month. I need the same one as well!"

It's so annoying!

If I read Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan I could get to the sequel China Rich Girlfriend by the..."

I was going to read Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier but think I might read The Cellist of Sarajevo by Steven Galloway instead.