Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > The Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge - December 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Jan 03, 2019 08:24AM) (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7033 comments Mod
Our Overflowing Bookshelf Mini Challenge for December 2018

To-do: Reserve a comment for your tracking list, then fill it with the titles you'd like to read this month from your physical (or digital) TBR. :)

If you'd like a link to the guidelines for this mini challenge, click here.

Go ahead and chatter away - I'll make links to your comments in a few days once everyone has jumped aboard.

Good luck, everyone! :)

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Dec 06, 2018 12:06PM) (new)

Mine:

1. Gardens of the Moon [Read]
2. Stardoc [Currently Reading]
3. Doomwyte
4. Bite Club
5. Eye of the Labyrinth

message 4: by Anni (last edited Jan 02, 2019 01:55PM) (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I simply start with adding aaaaall the books I haven't read last month 😅

Carried over from last Month
1.) The Six-Gun Tarot 📖
2.) The Night Circus
3.) The Empire of Ashes
4.) Red Country
5.) Knight's Shadow
6.) Ruin and Rising 📖
7.) Edgedancer

Buddy Reads December
8.) Red Sister
9.) Sharp Ends
10.) Super Powereds: Year 1
11.) Princeps' Fury
12.) First Lord's Fury

Solo Reads
13.) The Hollow Crown
14.) The Silent Shield 📖
15.) The Forsaken Throne
16.) Hero at the Fall 📖

message 5: by Virginie (last edited Jan 03, 2019 02:42AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments I'm leaving on the 17th for Paris so I'll keep the list short this month :)

Buddy reads
1. Dread Nation
2. Home
3. The Night Masquerade
4. Super Powereds: Year 1

Solo reads
5. Crucible of Gold
6. Blood of Tyrants
7. League of Dragons
8. Golden Age and Other Stories
9. Blackdog

New releases
BONUS In the Vanishers’ Palace
BONUS Planetside

message 6: by Karishma (last edited Dec 01, 2018 10:26AM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Bill, have you started, do you have a date for journey to the centre of the earth yet? I want to read that one too!

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Karishma, I already started and have about 3 hours left on the audiobook. Unfortunately I’m finding it extremely dull. It’s a shame because I really enjoyed everything else by Verne that I’ve read.

message 8: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Bill wrote: "Karishma, I already started and have about 3 hours left on the audiobook. Unfortunately I’m finding it extremely dull. It’s a shame because I really enjoyed everything else by Verne that I’ve read."

Oh no, then I will skip it for now. Any favourites by Verne? I read some when I was a kid and don't remember any except around the world in 80 days.

message 10: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments I'm interested to see what you'll think of the sudden appearance of hope! I read it earlier this year :)

message 11: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments I have quite a long list this month. Not sure if I'll get to all of them...
Inkdeath, The Unexpected Everything and Ruin and Rising are not a priority, so I'll carry them over to next year if i have to.

Backlog from november:
In the Afterlight
HP #6

Through the Dark
(Inkdeath?
The Unexpected Everything?
Ruin and Rising?)

Buddy reads december:
Gut aber tot
The Big Bad Wolf
Faefever
Dreamfever
Shadowfever
Down and Out in Paris and London
HP #7

2/10

message 12: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Karishma wrote: "Bill wrote: "Karishma, I already started and have about 3 hours left on the audiobook. Unfortunately I’m finding it extremely dull. It’s a shame because I really enjoyed everything else by Verne th..."

Think 20000 Leagues Under the Sea is still my favorite. I have to read through the descriptions because I read a bunch before joining GR but don’t have them added and can’t remember which they were.

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Omgsh guys...

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

... I finished Gardens of the Moon!!! 🎉🎉🎉

message 15: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "... I finished Gardens of the Moon!!! 🎉🎉🎉"

That ...... That....... Speechless........!
:-P

message 16: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Congratulations Nikki - now you can join us all for the rest of the books!

message 17: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "... I finished Gardens of the Moon!!! 🎉🎉🎉"

That's amazing Niki!!! Well done! 🎊

message 18: by Kathrine (last edited Jan 02, 2019 08:35AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments My list for what I wanna read in December. Not a whole lot of fantasy on here, but I have so many books I keep pushing back reading because I'd rather read my fantasy books, so I figured it was time to tackle some of them 😂

1. The Iliad ✔️
2. The Odyssey ✔️
3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ✔️
4. A Closed and Common Orbit ✔️
5. The Casual Vacancy ✔️
6. Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence ✔️
7. The Christmasaurus ✔️
8. The Phantom of the Opera ✔️

I'm afraid it might be a bit ambitious but hopefully I'll have plenty of time to read during Christmas break

message 19: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "... I finished Gardens of the Moon!!! 🎉🎉🎉"

So... It's going to snow today? Good to know. I'll dress warmer.

Hum.. I meant: Congrats (ex-) Captain! :D

message 20: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Don't forget Super Powereeeeeds :)"

Ah yes, that goes without saying! :)

message 21: by Hailee (last edited Dec 02, 2018 06:15AM) (new)

Hailee | 2427 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "... I finished Gardens of the Moon!!! 🎉🎉🎉"

Yay well done!!! I know how good it must feel to finally finish it. I was in pretty much the same situation earlier in the year. I started Gardens of The Moon on Jan 1st and finished it on June 11th. I felt like throwing myself a party ;-)

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Y'all are so sweet to me haha. Thank you!!! I feel kind of like a new person today lmao. I might get a head start on the next one, but I'm sure I'll still be reading it when the BR starts. XD

message 23: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Good job on finishing Gardens of the Moon Niki !!!

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Thank you! ^_^

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I'm loving seeing everyone's ambitious lists. I think this is my month to kick some butt, so I need to get adding titles.

message 27: by Hailee (last edited Dec 02, 2018 08:31AM) (new)

Hailee | 2427 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I'm interested to see what you'll think of the sudden appearance of hope! I read it earlier this year :)"

Thanks, I'm reading all of Claire North's books in publication order and the books of hers I've read so far (The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August and Touch) I have really enjoyed so I have high hopes. Did you like it?

message 28: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments I did! Took me a while to get into it though. I've been meaning to read harry august for a while, sounds really intriguing.

message 29: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Bill wrote: "Karishma, I already started and have about 3 hours left on the audiobook. Unfortunately I’m finding it extremely dull. It’s a shame because I really enjoyed everything else by Verne that I’ve read."

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never read any book by Verne... :o

message 30: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Do the free audible originals work for this challenge? I have 6 now so I could easily use them to finish my pledge. Other than Emma by Jane Austen which is just over 8 hours the rest are fairly short. One is 4.5 hours, one is 3.5 hours and the other 3 are under 2 hours.

message 31: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Bill wrote: "Do the free audible originals work for this challenge? I have 6 now so I could easily use them to finish my pledge. Other than Emma by Jane Austen which is just over 8 hours the rest are fairly sho..."

I’d say definitely yes. I’m counting physical books I got for free and arcs and stuff.

message 32: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I bought a book today from the audible sale just to help me hit my goal for the year. it was 50% off and I had a $5 coupon so it only cost me $3.74. It will also bring me utd on a series so I felt like I had enough justifications.

message 33: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Any one of those things would’ve felt like justification for me to buy an audiobook lol.

message 34: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Lol. I’ve been pretty bad everytime an audible sale comes around so this was actually huge restraint on my part.

message 35: by Kathrine (last edited Dec 26, 2018 11:22AM) (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Gah, six five days left of the month and the only book on my December TBR list I haven't read yet is The Odyssey but I'm just not motivated at all to read it... I'd rather read something cozy and winter-y and preferably written in the last century...

How's anyone else doing with their challenge?

message 36: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments ... Bad ?

message 37: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Actually better than I expected, I finished all my Buddy Reads from this month and some of the ones I carried over. I'm currently at 9 out of 16.

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

I finished Gardens of the Moon on the first, then have proceeded to read exactly 0 others from my physical collection.

I've been really lax with this challenge because of the Empress vs the Captain one. I literally can't do both at the same time because most of my incomplete series are unowned books lol.

Looking to 2019, I want to get back to this one and restart my 5 for 1 challenge. I need an excuse to treat myself to a new book every once in a while and I always find it particularly motivating when it comes to reading owned books.

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I have two left on my list and they will also get me to 100 for the year.

message 40: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Bill wrote: "I have two left on my list and they will also get me to 100 for the year."

Omg... that’s amazing.

message 41: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Thanks Niki. I was just looking at my main overflowing thread and I only had 24 done at the beginning of June so I’m absolutely thrilled that I’ve been able to get even this close to finishing.

message 42: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Bill wrote: "Thanks Niki. I was just looking at my main overflowing thread and I only had 24 done at the beginning of June so I’m absolutely thrilled that I’ve been able to get even this close to finishing."

I'm impressed for sure. I had a goal of 100, but I think I need smaller, more attainable goals for 2019 so I'm shooting for 50.

message 43: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments I’m definitely going smaller in 2019 too. Im planning on doing the remainder of my 2018 purchases which I think is somewhere in the 30s and then some of my other owned books. So will probably aim for 50 too. Most of the new series I plan to start next year are available from my library or Hoopla so trying to think of a way to work that into this challenge too.

message 44: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

That seems like a reasonable goal. I’ll be curious to see how you incorporate the library/hoopla titles. Most of my reads are going to be working through the YA books I keep bringing home, one trilogy at a time. If I can’t read a significant chunk, then I’ll need to have a serious talk with myself to keep from buying more. Damn book outlet sale gets me every year.

message 45: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Sales killed me too. I got 39 out of 77 books this year from sales. Which is great because they were a lot cheaper but still doubled my purchased books for the year.

message 46: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Haha yeah, my most recent one on cyber Monday I got 43 books for $100. Recognizable titles too. I plan to do the same next year, so I’d better get on the ball and actually start reading some of them.

message 47: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Wow that’s really good. My biggest day was $143 for 27 audiobooks. I bought 12 in the morning then saw my sister at my grandmothers 90th birthday and she got 12 then I went home and bought another 3.

message 48: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2130 comments Finished my 12th book for the month and 100th for my book pledge. I definitely wouldn’t have got close if we didn’t do these monthly goals. So thanks for setting it up Niki.

message 49: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments WOW! Congrats, Bill!

message 50: by Elinor (new)

Elinor | 1548 comments Congrats Bill !! Very very good job !!

« previous 1