Start by marking “Golden Age and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Golden Age and Other Stories

Golden Age and Other Stories

(Temeraire)

Naomi Novik ended her acclaimed, beloved nine-volume Temeraire series last year with a stunning finale, League of Dragons. Fans missing their favorite series can now rejoice: Novik returns with an original Temeraire collection as unique as the world she has created, with each tale inspired by an accompanying piece of fan art.

The Temeraire novels provide a window into an a
Published August 31st 2017 by Subterranean Press

Start your review of Golden Age and Other Stories
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/09/02/...

Golden Age and Other Stories is a charming little anthology that is sure to please fans of Naomi Novik’s Temeraire, though if you are just getting started on the series or are hoping to sample some of the stories here before diving into the main books, this will not be the most ideal entry point. For that, I highly urge you to simply pick up His Majesty’s Dragon, one of my favorite fantasy novels of all time. While I don’t
Karl

069 - Succession
081 - Dragons and Decorum
127 - Drabbles

Dust jacket Illustration by Sandara Tang

Note: This is a First Deluxe Edition, the book has now gone into a second edition.

All stories copy-write 2017.

The Captain
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: here-be-dragons
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

Ah the beautiful cover with both dragons and ships lured me in. Arrrr! The author, Naomi Novik, hooked me and had me super excited to read this collection of stories revisiting the dragon, Temeraire and his world. This collection did not disappoint. It contains 6 stories and 26 drabbles. What is a drabble? I’ll get to that . . .

“Volly’s Cow”

This is a very short st
Judy Lesley
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thank you to NetGalley and Subterranean Press for the opportunity to read this digital galley.

I have been a fan of the Naomi Novik stories featuring Temeraire since I read the first sentence of the first book. When I saw this collection which seemed to be offering short stories to accompany the now finished series I literally almost broke my finger smushing it down on the "request" button. Naturally, since I already know the author's writing style I enjoyed this book. I don't know if that will b
Alysa H.
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Delightful! And frankly, altogether better than some of the books in the main Temeraire series.

Although the opening story didn't do much for me, and neither did some of the closing drabbles, all of the stories in between are gems. The longest -- which literally rewrites Jane Austen characters into the Temeraire storyworld -- is a bit self-indulgent but also amazing: the best kind of fan-fiction, really. I also enjoyed the story going into Jane Rowland's backstory, but my personal favorite may b
Emma
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all, I'd like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This little anthology is sure to be a hit with anyone who's read and enjoyed the Temeraire series. With 6 short stories, followed by 26 drabbles of exactly 100 words each, and an accompanying piece of fanart for each tale, this collection revisits some of the best-loved characters from the series and explores some alternate universes along the way.

I absolutely lo
Bookwraiths
Sep 06, 2017 added it
Shelves: d-n-f
I could not get interested in this collection. Probably because I'm not at all familiar with Novik's Temeraire series. I'm sure longtime fans will adore this book, as the stories here are about those characters and that world.
Cendaquenta
Okay, 5 stars is maybe a bit generous, I don't think this is perfect, but I loved it so much. There is nothing I like better than DRAGONS, especially, for some reason, 19th-century fantasy-of-manners-style dragons. ❤🐲
Emily
After a couple recent disappointing reads, I was feeling myself start to slip into a book slump. I knew I needed a guaranteed win, and who better to turn to than Naomi Novik? I thought I’d seen the last of Laurence and Temeraire until this lovely illustrated story collection popped up in my Goodreads feed. It was just the thing to defeat this book slump before it took hold.

I’ll break it down from least fave to fave:

3-3.5 stars for “Volly’s Cow,” “Planting Season,” and the “drabbles” at the end.
Margaret Sullivan
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, jaff
Well, that was perfectly delightful. If you're a fan of Naomi Novik's Temeraire novels, this is for you. (And if you haven't read them yet, for heaven's sake why not?)

The premise of this collection is that readers submitted fan art of the characters in the series, and Novik wrote short stories based upon the artworks. The stories are delightful in themselves, and the artworks lovely and fun.

The title story is a gorgeous re-imagining of how Laurence and Temeraire (with a different name here) met
Leigh
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish Naomi Novik would keep writing in this world forever. How does she make dragons so lovable and charming? Alternate histories are usually an automatic DNF for me, but I've read all 10 Temeraire novels and would gladly read 10 more. This is a great collection, with each story inspired by fan art. This means that Novik really goes out of the box with some if these stories, even writing some AU versions of her own world, and it's really well executed. It's great to see someone who has been su ...more
Veronica
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really fun collection of stories set in the Temeraire universe. The Pride and Prejudice mash-up is the longest and most detailed (and really delightful) but I have to confess my favorite story is the short bit of backstory on John Wampanoag, a dragon who shows up in the later Temeraire books. It says a whole lot, and wrenches a whole lot of heartstrings, in just a few words. ARC via netgalley, although I'll probably buy the book for completion's sake -- I own all the other Temeraire books.
Chris
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
*copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Golden Age and Other Stories is a short story collection from Naomi Novik, all set in her Temeraire universe – set in the Napoleonic period, with the inclusion of sentient dragons. I’ve really enjoyed Novik’s efforts recently – her Uprooted, which I reviewed last year, was brilliant. So this collection had me quite excited as I went into it.

The collection contains several short stories, and a set of ‘drabbles’, stories of exactly one hundred words. A
Lora Carney
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, anthology
I wanted to read something by Naomi Novik, but didn't realise this collection of short stories was fan fiction related to the Temeraire series, which I haven't read. Never mind, it's a good test of a story collection like this to see if it can stand on its own.

The first story, Volley's Cow, did leave me a little bewildered. I think there was an assumption of familiarity with the characters, both human and dragon, as well as adventures they had been through in the series. The second story, Planti
Julia
An enjoyable set of stories set in Novik's alternate history with dragons. The longest one was a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, with Elizabeth Bennet as a dragon-rider. The title story (Golden Age) is about Captain Lawrence (as a sea captain, not with Temeraire) meeting an independent dragon who has been leading a group of smaller dragons in piracy. My thoughts on reading it was that it was retrocon since my recollection of the first book in the series was that Lawrence had not had any prior ...more
Lorre
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This anthology is a must-read if you love the Temeraire series!

It was great to see Volly again. The small not too bright but so loveable dragon and his love for food, especially cows, made me smile.

The story of John Wampanoag, the American dragon, was of how he became a merchant and transporter of cargo.

The next story was of a younger Jane Roland when she in her early years as captain of a dragon. The sexist admirality expected her to be a captain in title only and let her second (a man) make th
Rick Brose
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Golden Age and Other Stories is a great dive back into the world of Temeraire. Within its stories, readers get to revisit some of their favorite characters, round out pieces of the world, and even have some moments of levity. It is a nice supplement to the series, and worth reading for any fan of Novik's work. The artwork is an excellent touch as well.
Meredith
The short stories had many sweet and poignant moments, with Golden Age and Dragons and Decorum as standouts. The drabbles (limited to 100 words inspired by fan art) were a bit more mixed. I’ve only read the first 4 books in the series and some story elements referred to aspects I think I have yet to read, but no big spoilers.
Nicole Luiken
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely artwork.

I love the Temeraire novels and reading these stories was like revisiting an old friend. My favorites were: The Golden Age (a re-imagining of how Temeraire and Laurence might have first met), Planting Season (set in colonial America), and Dragons and Decorum (a mashup of dragons at Pride & Prejudice).
Anna Richland
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-challenge
Delightful short stories - ranging from 100 word bits (Novik calls them "drabbles" I think) to a lovely story that is Jane Austen fan fic.

The thing I found lovely was that each story - even the 100 word bits - was inspired by fan art. Some of them are "alternate" stories (ie, a different way Temeraire, called Celeste, and Laurence meet). Others are just in the spaces around the novels. But the art was great. Unfortunately, in the hard back edition I was reading, the pictures are quite small and
Anna Smithberger
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a charming collection, and I love that Novik incorporated fan art in it, so cool! Definitely worth it just for the pride and prejudice + dragons story!
Nicole Jackson
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quick and delightful read. Fans of Novik’s other work will be enchanted to find themselves in Temeraire’s world again. Definitely recommend!
Otone
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
No retelling of Pride and Prejudice will ever top “Dragons and Decorum”: an AU with Captain Elizabeth Bennet in the Corps with a dragon?! Naomi Novik, you absolute genius.
MB (What she read)
As I read each of the Temeraire books upon publication (way back when), I found that I have only a very general remembrance of most of these characters and their backstories. This hindered my enjoyment.

So...unless you have a much better memory than myself, I would recommend this only for fans of the series and add a recommendation that it be read only after a recent series re-read for full enjoyment potential.

The fan art at the chapter headings makes for a nice bonus.

The Jane Austen tribute was
Kiwi Carlisle
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is perfect for those of us who haven't had enough of Temeraire's world yet. The short stories explore a wide range of possibilities and answer some interesting questions. One of the stories is among the funniest Jane Austen parodies I've ever read. Another seems to be set in yet another alternate universe. As usual, they are charming and well thought out.
ambyr
An ultimately unnecessary addition to the series. I enjoyed the art (although I wished it had been printed in color to allow even greater appreciation), but while the stories filled in gaps, few told me anything new. "Planting Season" was a nice glimpse at dragons in North America, and "Dawn of Battle" gave an insider's view of gender integration in the corps; otherwise, everything here was skippable for me.
J.M. Frey
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wish the short "Golden Age" had been longer, and I adored the Pride & Prejudice fusion. A wonderful read that kindled glowing nostalgia for the series. ...more
Diane
A short illustrated collection. I'm just a few stories along, posting notes as I go, and I already love the variety of art. The stories anre pretty good.
Update after finishing: I think a 3-star "I liked it" is a fair average.

Volly's Cow — VERY short: pgs. 7-10. Temeraire exercises draconic notions of political practicality, as well as patience and tact, dealing w/a distracted little courier dragon & a tetchy, prideful, middle-weight cross-breed. The drawing is a humorous action vignette.

Planting
Kris Sellgren
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is an utterly delightful collection of stories about dragons, set in the same universe as Naomi Novik's Temeraire series. Some stories feature Temeraire and Laurence, the dragon and human heroes of that series; others center on other characters, like Jane, Emily, Demane, or Tharkay. Each short story or drabble (100 words long) is accompanied by wonderful artwork by a different artist, which I loved. The best story in the collection is "Dragons and Decorum", about aviator Elizabeth Bennet, a ...more
Caroline
A fun collection. I thought it was really interesting that Novik did both stories that fit into the original timeline of the series and alternative timeline stories. I think that really helped the book stand out. The section of drabbles was especially fun since you never get those in published works.

However, one of the longer (the longest?) story in the collection, “Dragons and Decorum,” fell completely flat for me. It wasn`t poorly written, I just could not get interested in it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Penric's Fox (Penric and Desdemona, #5)
  • The Prisoner of Limnos (Penric and Desdemona, #6)
  • Wings of Fire
  • Little Free Library
  • From the Editorial Page of the Falchester Weekly Review (The Memoirs of Lady Trent #3.5)
  • The Dragon Book
  • The Orphans of Raspay (Penric and Desdemona, #7)
  • Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain
  • A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters, #12)
  • Cyador's Heirs (The Saga of Recluce, #17)
  • Heritage of Cyador (The Saga of Recluce, #18)
  • Aïda
  • Death or Glory (Ciaphas Cain #4)
  • Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce, #12)
  • Natural Ordermage (The Saga of Recluce, #14)
  • Mage-Guard of Hamor (The Saga of Recluce #15)
  • Ordermaster (The Saga of Recluce, #13)
  • Recluce Tales: Stories from the World of Recluce
An avid reader of fantasy literature since age six, when she first made her way through The Lord of the Rings, Naomi Novik is also a history buff with a particular interest in the Napoleonic era and a fondness for the work of Patrick O’Brian and Jane Austen. She studied English literature at Brown University, and did graduate work in computer science at Columbia University before leaving to partic ...more

Temeraire (9 books)
  • His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
  • Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
  • Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
  • Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
  • Victory of Eagles (Temeraire, #5)
  • Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
  • Crucible of Gold (Temeraire, #7)
  • Blood of Tyrants (Temeraire, #8)
  • League of Dragons (Temeraire, #9)