Start by marking “Lullaby” as Want to Read:
Lullaby

Lullaby

The fears and horrors of being a new parent take on a shocking dimension in in this heart-stopping original story, only from Audible. A young married couple, Matt and Gillian have just bought a gorgeous house located next to a lake in the Catskills. They want to escape the hustle and bustle of the city to raise their baby girl, Hope, in relative peace and quiet. When night ...more
Audible Audio, 14 pages
Published October 4th 2018 by Audible Studios

To ask other readers questions about Lullaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lullaby

Char
A free Audible Original for October 2018.

A dark little story about a haunted house. The narration was excellent, (Scott Brick), and the story was okay-it just wasn't dark enough to please this dark heart.
Aerin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: short-fiction, horror
Audible.com has recently started offering subscribers 2 free "Audible Originals" selections each month, from a selection of about a half dozen. They tend to be short (a few hours or less) and don't always follow the format of an "audiobook" - Dennis Kelly's incredible Girls & Boys is a one-woman play, and Esther Perel's Where Should We Begin? is a set of couples-therapy recordings. So far, my experience with them has been hit-or-miss, and this one was a definite miss.

It's a short story - v
Erin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Audiobook narrated by Scott Brick 37m An Audible original selection for October, Lullaby was a nice spooky treat but I felt more sadness at the end than terror.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This was a pretty good haunted house story. I thought that the narration was very well done and added to the suspense of the story. I found it rather entertaining and well done for a short piece.

Book source: Audible freebie
Rafael
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 to be fair, this short story is a spooky one about a hand that rocks a cradle, a dark entity habits their house and seams to be fond with their first born giving this family a thrilling experience, wasn’t that bad for a short story for Halloween and one worthy to tell in front of a camping fire.
Soo
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Short story on Audible Original. The narration was great but the story did not pull me in or feel haunted.
Mary
If you're a fan of Audible, Scott Brick needs no introduction. For twelve short chapters, his narration is the perfect blend of calm before the storm, leading you to believe there's nothing to fear. Suddenly, his voice is filled with chilling horror and goosebumps cover your arms. I assumed this would be a great October read and chose LULLABY as a late night listen. As the tropical rains poured against our windows, Maberry's frightening story, combined with Brick's brilliant storytelling, had me ...more
Brian McCrary
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Very short audio book that had some creepy parts in it. It did give me the chills when they looked on the baby monitor to see .....
Good listen if you have 30 minutes to kill.
Karen’s Library
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
This Audible Original story narrated by Scott Brick was one that I'm glad I listened to in the daylight hours. I'm sure I would have been seeing creepy hands in the dark if I had waited until bedtime. At one point, I was whispering outloud, "don't go there, please don't go there!". Maberry went there. Scott Brick was brilliant as always! This was a good spooky tale just in time for Halloween.
Tania
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, audio, suspense
Meh... It was short, it was free but it offered nothing new and made no impact.
SheriC (PM)
Entirely predictable haunted house story, but still very enjoyable. The author does a fine job of creating the spooky atmosphere and mood and imagery, even if the plot and characters were a little thin. I think Scott Brick's excellent narration elevates it.

Audiobook short story, free for download as part of their new 2 freebies/month Audible Originals perks for members.
Bill
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I suppose this was a decent little short short that was maybe a wee too short. The narrator did a great job and the story would have suffered without it. Ended up being just ok.
✘Tabby✘
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
A quick really creepy great read!
Anniken Haga
One of the free books from Audible this month.

I haven't read anything from the author before, and now I'm not sure I will.
This short was like a collection of cliche expresions and descriptions, which ended up making me roll my eyes a lot.

I also had trouble keeping up with the timeline. Not the story arc, that was really simple and not really surprising at all — part of that was the narrator. Talking in a calm voice when nothing happened and then a "creepy" voice when he started a chapter wher
Dan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was one of the free Audible originals for the month of October. The premise sounded interesting, but it wasn't terribly engaging. Despite the short length, I found myself tuning out quite a bit. It wasn't frightening, disturbing, or really successful in evoking any emotion in me whatsoever. Probably would have chosen something else if given the chance.
Katie B.
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Christine Arella
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
I liked it! Scott Brick did a great job narrating this short story about a young couple who buys a house they were forewarned was haunted. 3.5 stars.
Judith Elliott
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Judith by: No one
Shelves: 2018-reading
I’m not sure that I was supposed to be scared. The couple seemed irresponsible and silly to me, and the writing reminded me of the RL Stein books my daughter read in middle school.
Melissa
Oct 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Lame. Glad it was free and under an hour long. Maybe I'll go home, churn out a story just like this in an hour, and see if Audible [un]originals will buy it.
David
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: New parents, overpaid geeks, anxious mothers
One of Audible's new Audible Originals, this is an okay ghost story by horror author Jonathan Maberry. I've read a bit of Maberry's stuff before and thought it was okay, but it didn't blow me away, and that's how I felt about this haunted house story. A couple of new parents find a beautiful, secluded house in the Catskills which the realtor has to disclose to them is "haunted" (only because there's this silly law requiring disclosure about hauntings, hahahah) which is why it's priced far below ...more
Asheley
Nov 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
A haunted house short story for the fall season: a little bit creepy, but not as spooky as I thought it was going to be. I was a little bit surprised that there was a slight tone of sadness thrown in there. There are a couple of questions that I had while listening (why is the house haunted? who is doing the haunting?) but honestly I was just having fun with the story and didn't mind the little plot holes that much. This is, after all, a super-duper-short story. Just have fun with it.

EXCELLENTLY
MissSusie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, audible-books, audio
Meh
Susan
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks, fiction
A short, spooky story which just didn’t do it for me — oh, I was scared by the ending, but I was bored along the way. Audiobook dramatically read by Scott Brick.
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
Nov 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I felt the ending to be rather weak, but the audiobook was perfectly performed, and it would have been 5* if the very end was tweaked a bit.
Erica
Uncomfortable and with a creeping sense of... well, coach class dread. I think Lullaby was a bit too short to really reach its full potential, hence the three stars.

Full review to come.
Petra
Far too short, but love the narrator.
Tiffy_Reads
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My first audible original and I enjoyed it quite a bit. This is a short ghost story and I was really caught up in it. The ending was surprising. I’ll read more by this author for sure.
Alan
Haunted House Story Falls Short

This is of interest as an exercise to understand what doesn't work in a haunted house story. When the logic failures and the plot holes pile up you just lose faith in the story and it begins to lean into parody territory. I actually missed the twist the first time through as I was tuning out of the story by that time and I had to go back to listen to the last few chapters in order to understand what there was to scream about at the end.

The narration by the always r
Erin
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, short-stories
This was one of Audible's free books for the month. It was short with just a little bit of creep to it. The writing was good and the narration wasn't bad.

I think this one did suffer from being short. I was expecting more horror and this felt like everything was just getting started when it ended. I think it would have benefitted from being a little bit longer to really hit home on the creep.
Scott Firestone
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
When a book or story is about someone's kids being in danger, it runs the risk of feeling cheap, because that's an "easy" scare for a parent. This felt cheap. The story is too short to give much info on what's happening, which can help draw us in beyond the "A baby is in danger!" plot. So it moves too quickly, and we're left feeling that this is missing key pieces that make a story truly scary.
JONATHAN MABERRY is a New York Times best-selling and five-time Bram Stoker Award-winning author, anthology editor, comic book writer, magazine feature writer, playwright, content creator and writing teacher/lecturer. He was named one of the Today’s Top Ten Horror Writers. His books have been sold to more than two-dozen countries.

He writes in several genres. His young adult fiction includes ROT &a