Who's Your Author? discussion

Paranormal Writers > Gena Showalter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments So I just picked up Intertwined by Gena Showalter. I've never read any of her books before, but the premise of this one just really intrigued me! Just wondering if anyone else has read it or anything else by her.

message 2: by Laura (new)

Laura | 6 comments I have not read anything by her but I have been wanting to pick this one up and read it. I thought the release date was sometime in September.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just got my copy today, but Dreamfever is my first priority.

message 4: by Kelley Anne (last edited Aug 20, 2009 08:33AM) (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I got Dreamfever on audiobook, so I'm kinda torturing myself, making myself wait to only listen to it at work. As for Intertwined, I'm about 150 pages into it so far. It's really intriguing. It's not quite a grab me and not let me go book, but very good. It's also very different from what I though it'd be.

message 5: by Literary Ames (new)

Literary Ames (amyorames) | 237 comments I have only read [Book:The Darkest Night], the first of the Lords of the Underworld series. It runs along the same lines as [Author:J.R.Ward]'s BlackDagger Brotherhood series and [Author:Sherrilyn Kenyon]'s Darkhunter/Dreamhunter series. [Book:Intertwined] sounds interesting, it's going on my to-buy list.

message 6: by Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (last edited Aug 20, 2009 08:32AM) (new)

Jamie ~ Bad Boy Inspector (jamie_badboyinspector) | 18 comments I have been reading her Lord of the Underworld books and they are very good. I am going to start on her Alien Huntress series next. These series are her adult series and are both highly recommended. I am buying intertwined as soon as it comes to Walmart.

message 7: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I just finished Intertwined today. I really enjoyed it, but I did feel like there could have been a lot more action and suspense. Also, technically the book is ended on a cliff hanger, but it's one that wont drive me crazy while I wait for the sequal to come out next year. But I loved the premise of the book. Really intriguing!

message 8: by Jess (last edited Aug 20, 2009 12:38PM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I haven't read Intertwined yet, but I've read all of her Lords of the underworld series minus the newest one. I like her writing style, and it's a unique take on the paranormal genre

message 9: by Christie (new)

Christie Parker | 1 comments I've read the Lords of Underworld series and her Atlantis series. Intertwined is on my list to buy. I am getting ready to start her Alien Huntress series.

message 10: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Oh yeah I read the first book in the alien huntress series. That was definitely interesting. I still have the newest Alien book to read.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I've liked the Alien Huntress books I've read so far--the first adult one and the two YA ones. I thought they were unique enough in the SF-romance genre to keep me interested. I like the way she has classified and imagined her alien groups. Plus I like that nifty crime-scene perimeter bubble that they put up to preserve a crime scene's atmosphere. I bet real cops would love one of those!

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (shinhbang) | 12 comments I thought Gena was a good author. I liked her Lords of the Underworld series. It was interesting. :]

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I just got the new Lords book today, and I hope to start it soon. How do you write a book if the hero can only tell lies??

message 14: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (marissagarrison) | 8 comments The LOTU series is great!!! I really like it, probably my fave's from GS. I like some of the Atlantis series, but not all, some of them are just ok reads. There was "Playing with Fire" which looked like it was gonna be a series, but then she never wrote anymore on that - I really really liked that story though... Not sure how I feel about the alien huntress' stories yet. read the first one, have the other 3, but haven't moved on to those yet... probably cause I just got the new lords book yesterday, and that is next to read!!!

message 15: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just got the newest book in the series, I'm going to start it as soon as I get home.

message 16: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 106 comments I am on Darkest Whisper. I love the Lords of the Underworld. I am going to read her Atlantis series next. I am so glad my cousin recommended this author.

message 17: by Vivi (new)

Vivi I read Jewel of Atlantis, it was a great book :)

message 18: by Kayzo (new)

Kayzo I am reading The Darkest Whisper right. The Lords of the Underworld series is really good. I also like the Alien Huntress series. I try to stay on top of any new releases by this author.

message 19: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments I've been wondering about the Lords of the Underworld series. On the website where I get audiobooks, they have a package for the 4 books for the price of 2, so I've been tempted.

message 20: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Kelley Anne it's a great series!! That's an awesome deal too. I would go for it!

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments I like the series a lot. I was trying to think of comparisons to other series, but it's hard! It's a little like if you mix the cursed heroes of KM Moning's Highlander series with the warrior aspect of the Black Dagger Brotherhood and throw in some Greek mythology--then you've got LOTU.

message 22: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol, I'll have to take advantage of the package and get them! I was just hesitant, because I wish that I could have read the first one before buying all 4, but it sounds like it'll probably be worth it.

message 23: by Kelley Anne (new)

Kelley Anne | 1619 comments lol! Kathy Anne, sometimes when I am just glancing really quickly at a name to see who wrote something, I think that it's me when it's really you! I read your post and glanced quickly to see who said that, and the thought went through my head, "I didn't write that!" lol, I guess that our names are just too close!

message 24: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yeah there is one annoying character in the series.. but besides that it's awesome.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Jess wrote: "Yeah there is one annoying character in the series.. but besides that it's awesome."

Anya?

message 26: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments LOL. YESS!!!

message 27: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Can't stand her. I still liked her book, but it's my least fave so far. Love Reyes, though, which made up for it.

I'm still waiting for the day when Mr. Promiscuity gets his book. :)

message 28: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Yes. that should be an interesting one!! I'm interested in Lies... that's going to be very interesting. How will she write him to have someone love him when he can only lie??

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments Let's all pause while his love interest translates his statement into the exact opposite of what he said. Talk about the ultimate language barrier.

But then agian, these guys don't necessarily need to speak to communicate what they want...

message 30: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I just finished reading Playing With Fire, and I really enjoyed it. For some reason I thought it was going to be a YA and that's why I hadn't read it sooner.

It ended up being excellent, and I definitely recommend it to those who enjoyed her other series. :)

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I've enjoyed all of G. Showalter's books that I've read, but I much prefer the Lords series. Reminds me a lot of S. Kenyon's Dark Hunter series.

message 32: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Are these all the books in the Lords series and is this the correct reading order?

The Darkest Night
The Darkest Kiss
The Darkest Pleasure
The Darkest Whisper
The Darkest Fire
The Darkest Prison

I do not see how she writes so much!And I feel like I missed one or two.

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah  | 766 comments The Darkest Fire is a prequel to the series, so it should go first. Otherwise, I think you've got them all, and in the right order.

message 34: by Jess (last edited Mar 25, 2010 07:54AM) (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Which one is the Darkest Prison? I haven't read that one yet.

Showalter also has some other series that are pretty good. I really like the new one, it has two books so far: Playing with Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #2) by Gena Showalter

message 35: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Darkest prison is an e-book short story or mini book I guess, it is on Kindle. Anyway here is the blurb:

The Greek Goddess of Strength Nike (heroine) and the Lord Titan (Atlas) are two well developed characters that develop an intense hate-love relationship. This relationship quickly reverses itself to a love-hate relationship when the tables are turned and Atlas imprisons Nike to get his hard sought revenge after being imprison by her for centuries. However once revenge has been achieved it does not taste as sweet as he would have like. Atlas seeks for ways to make Nike prison life more miserable yet with each way he tries to torture her he is further torture by his growing feelings of love.

I just picked up Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #2) by Gena Showalter I haven't read it yet.

I liked her short story in Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #5) by Kresley Cole , I think it is part of the Alien series, so I am also going to check out Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1) by Gena Showalter just as soon as someone returns it to the library.

message 36: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Dawn wrote: "Darkest prison is an e-book short story or mini book I guess, it is on Kindle. Anyway here is the blurb:

The Greek Goddess of Strength Nike (heroine) and the Lord Titan (Atlas) are two well develo..."

Oh okay, no wonder why I didn't recognize Darkest Prison. I'll have to look into reading that.

I like the Alien series but I don't think it's as good as the others. Let me know what you think of it when you get to it :)

Ang -PNR Book Lover Reviews (pnrbookloverreviews) I Just Finished The darkest whisper, Lords of the Underworld, It was fantastic i love this series.. cant wait till the next one comes out.

message 38: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 28, 2010 10:02AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I've read:

The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld, #3) by Gena Showalter The Darkest Fire (Lords of the Underworld, #.5, Prequel) by Gena Showalter

and

Playing with Fire (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #1) by Gena Showalter Twice as Hot (Tales of an Extraordinary Girl, #2) by Gena Showalter

I like The Lord of the Underworld series, but the first book sort of took a turn at the end with one of the characters that made be feel she was trying to copy one of the characters from Kresley Cole. Didn't feel that way, however, after reading rest of the books and love the series.

The Tales of an Extraordinary Girl series started off a little boring, but shortly picked up and got interesting. Really glad I didn't start reading this one until the second book came out. Hope there will be more.

Dawn according to goodreads there are the following books in the Lord of the Underworld series:

The Darkest Passion (Comes out May 25, 2010)
The Darkest Lie (June 29 2010)

I read somewhere that Showalter cranks out books very quickly. From what I've seen it must be true.

message 39: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4054 comments Thanks for letting me know about her two new books. She writes super fast, it seems like she must put out at least two or three books a year.

The thing I like about her is that while her books tend to be predictable I really do enjoy them. Which is rare for me usually if I know where you are headed plot wise I normally am not interested.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I'm officially sucked into the LOTU series. I've been a fan of GS for several years, from her Atlantis series. I like the LOTU even more. Awaken Me Darkly was good, rather noir. I liked the idea, even though aliens are not my thing. I'll read all her books except the straight contemporary.

message 41: by Gemma (new)

Gemma (bookmoodreviews) | 101 comments I have two of these books from a friend. I never really got round to reading them and they are still sitting there. Are they any good? (I don't know which books they are)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) The first LOTU book, The Darkest Night, is a little rough. I loved the second book, The Darkest Kiss. Anya seems to annoy a lot of readers. I loved her. Her Atlantis series is a little more on the sweet side:

Jewel of Atlantis (Atlantis, #2) by Gena Showalter Heart of the Dragon (Atlantis, #1) by Gena Showalter The Nymph King (Atlantis, #3) by Gena Showalter The Vampire's Bride (Atlantis #4) by Gena Showalter The Amazon's Curse (Atlantis #5) by Gena Showalter

I haven't read the last two yet.

This one is related:

The Stone Prince  by Gena Showalter

message 43: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "The first LOTU book, The Darkest Night, is a little rough. I loved the second book, The Darkest Kiss. Anya seems to annoy a lot of readers. I loved her. Her Atlantis series is a little more on t..."

Ugh I hate Anya!!! She is so irritating. Whenever she pops up in the other books I want to put the book down, I'm trying to learn to ignore her ridiculous conversations.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Jess just proved my point. LOL.

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela (angbens) | 106 comments The Atlantis series is good. I have to read the last two yet thouhg.

message 46: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments I liked her Atlantis series, Tales of an Extraordinary Girl series (although I haven't gotten to the second one yet), and LOTU-my fav so far is Darkest Whisper but I'm waiting for Lies, that one will be great I think. I wasn't so crazy for the Alien Huntress series or Intertwined. I just couldn't get into them.

message 47: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I read the first in the Atlantis series.. it was okay. It was a little too sweet for me. I like her edgier books.

message 48: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 326 comments Anyboday read Intertwined, the first Aiden Stone (I think that's the last name) novel for YA? I want it!!!!

message 49: by Crystal (new)

Crystal (crys25) | 237 comments I did start to read Intertwined but I did not finish it. I really like Gena Showalter but for some reason I couldn't get into this series.

message 50: by Jess (new)

Jess | 3721 comments I haven't read it yet, but I have it on my TBR list.

« previous 1