What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Coyote (Coyote Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Coyote
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Sci-Fi/Fantasy; guy in the military steals a space shuttle with a group of others and journeys to a new planet to start a new life. Life on Earth was controlled by the military [s]

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Future (obviously) a guy in the military steals a space shuttle with a group of others and journeys to a new planet to start a new life. Life on Earth was controlled by the military as was space travel. Sorry...I can't recall too much else, other than it was a great book with scares, drama, romance, adventure, etc.

Help???

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
was this part of a series? When did you read it? And are you sure he was military and that all he stole was a space shuttle?

Abigail (42stitches) | 21 comments Did he wear a kilt? Sounds very vaguely like Methuselah's Children

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

if it weren't for the military part it could be Pirates of the ThunderLords of the Middle DarkWarriors of the StormMasks of the Martyrs. Which, by the way, I can heartily recommend as a good read.

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob | 2 comments Thanks for the comments...it was not any of the books mentioned. I wish I could recall more. It was probably 7 or 8 years ago that I read it. I'm pretty sure the main character was a high ranking military man. As far as I know, it was not part of a series. And...I don't recall anyone wearing a kilt. I recall that there were beasts of some sort on this new planet that they had to contend with and one of the characters (maybe the main one) decided after a while to leave the group of settlers and take off on his own in a canoe...where he encounters life threatening events. I hope this helps further. Thanks again for your help and the suggested reading.

message 6: by Dawn (new) - added it

Dawn | 221 comments Coyote by Allan Steele?

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/68...

It's made up from several short stories/novellas combined into the one larger story. The canoe trip is in there, as is the high ranking military man stealing the space ship.

I'm not finding any descriptions that really go into details of the various stories, but if you can remember a guy waking up on the trip when he wasn't supposed to, and being forced to stay awake for the rest of it (his whole lifetime), then it's Coyote :)

MB (What she read) | 136 comments I'm seconding Dawn. Sounds like Coyote to me as well.

message 8: by Tess (new) - added it

Tess | 439 comments was it Coyote?

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) I sent a PM to Rob, but he's not active on GR at all, so no hopes...
Could we move it to Possibly Solved because Dawn & MB agree... ?

message 10: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

I agree Cheryl. And I've moved it down. 2 years with no OP activity usually means it's abandoned. But since we have multiple people thinking it's the same book, I'm all for possibly.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37753 comments Mod
I believe this is "Coyote." Moving to Solved.