Start by marking “Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)

Pirates of the Thunder

(Rings of the Master #2)

Hawks had refused to help the ambitious Lazlo Chen in his quest to find the five gold rings that could break Master System's hold over humankind -- and that refusal had landed him on the deadly prison planet Melchior.

But when Hawks and some fellow prisoners engineered a bold escape, it seemed almost too easy. Hawks guessed that Chen was pulling the strings, but he couldn't
Published February 12th 1987 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about Pirates of the Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates of the Thunder

Gavin
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
After a slightly slow start this picked up to be a decent read. It was similar in quality to the first book. Fast paced pulp sci-fi with some cool technology.

The slow start can be blammed on the fact that the first 15% of the book was spent with the characters recapping what they had done in the first book. That would have been great if I'd read the books a year apart, but since I went straight from the first to the second it left things a bit dull and frustrating.

This picks up where we left o
Ian Massey
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Yeah - not enjoying these book as much as I remember from first time round. Maybe with greater maturity comes more criticism.

This, the second of four, doesn't really move the series on much at all - at the end of it, the renegades still have none of the five rings they are looking for, but have gained allies. Allies that, it seems to me, are more there to show how much the Master System has changed various member of humanity for its own purposes.

Reading this, I couldn't help but think of Blake's
Brian Turner
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Following on directly from Lords of the Middle Dark, Hawks and the other escapees from Melchior have managed to find a deep space ship.
Now they have to try and avoid Master System while searching for clues to the location of the first ring that could be its downfall.

Mostly concerned with them finding more people that could help, there's a bit less action and more discussion going on in this book, although it still moves at a decent pace.

Adds a whole bunch of new characters with differen
Oct 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
For a four-book series, this book still felt like more set-up than questing. I have ordered the two remaining books used online, so I can read them at my convenience, rather than requesting them via ILL.
Arwen
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
The follow up to "Lords of Middle Dark". It's a totally different kind of book. But still the author comes up with a unique story, and totally bizarre tech and worlds. It's bizarre, but it all fits together in a way that seems totally believable. Now the primitive cultures are in space. Good read.
Rik
Enjoyable, but it didn't make much progress with the plot. Setting the scene for what comes next I guess.
Justin
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Still waiting for the 12 days of Christmas reference. At least in here there was a Fellowship of the Ring(s) reference, a popular book at the time.
Lavendersbluegreen
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just saw this series and it has been years but I was in the mood... so a marathon re-read of the series ensued... and it was fabulous!
We start out many years in the future... Earth is under control of Master System, a computer. The population has been culled, changed, the universe seeded with our oddly changed descendants, and what is left on Earth has been reduced to limited populations of racially distinct groups isolated in area as well as era.
Each generation any who have the potential to cha
Allen Dodd
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing

My review for "Pirates of the Thunder": “Don’t judge a book by the cover” I’m told, but that’s what I did many years ago with this one and it was a good choice. This was the first “real” out-of-high-school book I can remember purchasing. I was at Safeway and saw it on the rack and decided I’d give it a try, because it “looks” cool. Well, it was great, but I had to stop a couple chapters into it and go to the book store to find the book before it in the series so I knew how the story began (Didn’
Roxanne
Mar 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
In this book, our heroes make it out into deep space. They make contacts among the freebooters, a community of space pirate types who fly under Master System's radar. Our heroes have some successes, including stealing some stuff they need and visiting a few planets, but their real quest for the secret gold rings hasn't yet begun. I'm really enjoying reading these again. Can't wait to move on to book 3!

::edit:: reread in October 2014
T J
Feb 24, 2015 rated it liked it
The renegades no running and hunting for the five gold rings that will end their slavery to Master computer who has tight hold on all the planets. This was a book two of The Rings of the Master and was good read. Looking forward to reading Book three: Warriors of the Storm.
Kevin Driskill
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
I found this series after I got hooked on Chalker and it is now one of my favorites. This is a series I was sad to finish. There is in these books such depth of creativity that it is staggering. The possibilities are endless and this takes you on the ride of your life.
MBybee
May 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best book of the series by far. Excellent sci-fi, good action, good drama, and good look at the "big questions", which is always essential for sci-fi.

Fantastic, and I recommend the series to anyone who can find it.
Don
The gathered have made plans and found allies. They are being sought and there is no room for a single error. One slip or loss of a member may be the end of the task in taking on Master System.

Great storyline. So many tangents in keeping the tale interesting.
Ray McCarthy
More like an episode than a standalone book. Is it a publisher thing? Should the four books be one volume? Seems curious that the second book of four ends without recovery of the first ring!
Howard
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Viola
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Book 2 in the series. Find it! Read it! :-)
Lew
May 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This isn't the greatest sci-fi series but has some nice twists. I would recommend to any sci-fi fan. It is easy to tell that it was written in the Star War era of the eighties.
Aaron Anderson
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
See what I said on "Lords of the Middle Dark".
Matt
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
I started the series at this book, not great but by no means awful. Definitely dated science fiction, but the commentary on human nature still applies.
Hugh
Jan 18, 2011
Terry
Mar 13, 2016
  • Matcher Rules
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • The End of All Songs (Dancers at the End of Time, #3)
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • The Last Day
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
  • Farthest Star
  • Wheelworld (To the Stars, #2)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Code of the Kyoushi (Miraibanashi, #1)
  • The Reincarnation of Peter Proud
  • Freedom Club
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • The Seventh Book of Lost Swords: Wayfinder's Story (Lost Swords, #7)
  • Hiero's Journey (Hiero, #1)
  • Right of Passage
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W

Rings of the Master (4 books)
  • Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)