Start by marking “Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master, #1)

Lords of the Middle Dark (Rings of the Master #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,139 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Long ago, the machines had rebelled, wiping out most of humanity and exiling the survivors in widely scattered reservations. Master System ruled unchallenged, the key to breaking its power -- five microchips disguised as gold rings, carefully hidden away. But then an Amerindian called Hawks stumbled across information about the five rings, and suddenly Master System develo ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 357 pages
Published June 1986 by Random House Inc (first published May 12th 1986)

Gavin
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was an entertaining and fast paced pulp sci-fi. Not the best Jack L. Chalker book/series I've ever read, but a fun read none the less.

In the distant past humanity found itself at the risk of extinction by its own hands. Two super nations had arisen and war between the pair was inevitable. With the advanced weapons and super computers thrown into the mix it had the potential to destroy the world. In the hopes saving humanity from itself a crack group of scientists created a super AI called
Roxanne
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this series in years but it's stuck with me and I absolutely love it. It's a big complicated sci fi treasure hunt in space--our small group of heroes have to find the five gold rings that will unlock Master System, the super computer that controls the destiny of humanity. In this book we meet the key players and they concoct a series of of daring plans that ultimately lead to them meeting up with each other and starting out on their search.

::edit:: Reread this in October 2014. Bec
Liutauras Elkimavičius
Apr 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Sunkiai metu nebaigtą seriją. Dar sunkiau, nebaigtą knygą. Net nepamenu, kada esu labiau piktesnis nei smalsesnis. Juk net didžiausia nesąmonė vilioja sužinoti kaip baigsis. Bet šitas Harkos ir prieštvaninės sci fi derinys mane pribaigė. Buvo toks filmas fantastinis su Travolta, Battlefield Earth. Tai va šita knyga tokio pat tūpumo kaip tas filmas. Nea. #LEBooks #LordsOfTheMiddleDark #JackChalker #RingsOfTheMaster
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the series I was thinking of when I read the Well World series last year.

Although still clunky in several ways, the writing in this book is smoother than the earlier series. It can still be choppy-- dialogue is either curt and modern or overly romanticized. There is an insane amount of information to set up the universe and it's often clumsily handled, one character lecturing another. But for a series launch, there is quite a bit of action.

I'm pretty sure I discovered this author on the
Nina C
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to love it. Definitely in the sci-fi genre. The Matrix and Total Recall plus The 5th Element combined. The fact it was published in 1986 makes me wish I had read it younger and owned the paperbacks. Reading it now only made me see it as a movie. An R rated movie that would give Starwars a run for it's money... Nah! Looking forward to the rest of the series.
Arwen
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very different premise for a sci-fi novel. Unique story, not at all what I expected. After reading the whole series now, it's hard to rate this first one, because the groundwork is so different from the other stories. He blends primitive cultures with an all powerful computer overlord, and a totally new governmental system. Like nothing I've read before. Well worth the read.
Lijadora Del Prado
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super readable science fiction. Interesting concepts, protagonists to root for. If - as I read in other reviews - this is one of the lesser Chalkers, I'm curious for his other work.
James Frame
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first series of Fantasy !

Loved it
Justin
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sci-fi trash!
Harold Ogle
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommendation: a must-read, particularly for fans of British science fiction television.

Review: Although I'm a big fan of Chalker's "Well of Souls" science fiction series, this book sat on my shelf for close to 20 years before I finally got around to reading it last week. For some reason, it just never grabbed me; I'm embarrassed to admit it was probably the cover art, since I never actually tried to read it before last week.

Once I started, though, I was quickly hooked. The book is set in a far
L.
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
A future earth, that seems to be stuck in the 1500's. Ruled by a "Master Computer" that was developed long ago, when man was at the brink of destroying himself. Now the computer has devolved mankind into a state of technology (1500's) that can be brutal and savage...but, doesn't have the ability or technology to wipe out the world in the process.

This master computer controls all technology and knowledge in this world. However, it does use some of the "brightest" people from each culture to help
John
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, scifi-fantasy
1986 Grade B-. Book Rm1.
2016 Grade B-.

Basic content warning: Jack Chalker builds some very strange worlds and, to be honest, some rather unpleasant ones. Faint-hearted readers might want to avoid them. In the books I have read, society is controlled by a master system of some kind with most of humanity at various primitive levels. The master systems are very advanced and have the ability to transform people in all ways. This includes complete physical conversion even to animal shapes and complet
Matthew Hester
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Before starting, I thought this book was going to be one of two things; a humourous parody of classic fantasy stories, such as Lord of the Rings, or a serious fantasy story with a surprise twist of science fiction origin.
Instead it turned out to be a third; just a regular, terrible science fiction story.
While it surprises me to actually be disappointed by that fact, it doesn't change the fact I am.
I'd say that Chalker missed an opportunity to actually take an interesting path with the story he w
Don
Was going through a few boxes of stored books and came across this series that I read back in the late 1980s, and remembered enjoying, so... Another go-around was long overdue for a classic series.

5 Rings to stop the Master System, a System that has long enslaved humanity to the rules it provides in keeping rational, yet warped, guidelines and stifling mankind in a very domineering check. Clues left by its original makers of over 900 years ago spoke of a backdoor into the beast. Destiny or death
Brian Turner
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
The opening book for the series "The Rings of the Master".

Humanity has been put under the control of Master System, as a way to prevent them destroying themselves, by the people who created it.
It keeps the majority at a technical level from their history so none of them will be able to create the weapons that nearly destroyed everyone before.
A select few are let into the secret to perform tasks for Master System, and keep an eye on their people.

One of these elite discovers there was a fail-safe
Lavendersbluegreen
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Just saw this series and it has been years but I was in the mood... so a marathon re-read of the series ensued... and it was fabulous!
We start out many years in the future... Earth is under control of Master System, a computer. The population has been culled, changed, the universe seeded with our oddly changed descendants, and what is left on Earth has been reduced to limited populations of racially distinct groups isolated in area as well as era.
Each generation any who have the potential to cha
Jody
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first thing Master System did was kill the scientists who created it. Tasked with preventing humanity from killing itself off, it reduces Earth to a pre-industrial level and then develops the technology to spread humans to countless worlds. With no time to terraform, humans are changed to match their environments. 5 computer chips imbedded in rings, a children's rhyme and the logical imperative to give humans access to these rings are all that serve as a fail-safe. When a Hyiakutt named Runs ...more
Aaron Anderson
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
My second favorite Chalker series, barely behind Four Lords of the Diamond. It's technically pure sci-fi, but of the variety where the sci-fi is so far ahead, and ridiculous, that it may as well be fantasy. Plus there's a lot of body-morphing, which has a very fantasy feel to it.

It's a "machine's take over" story, kind of like Terminator. But the Master System (this series Skynet) never breaks its base programming to "protect humanity", though the manner in which it enforces this is VERY much ag
Lietric
Dec 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I enjoyed the concept of this book the matrix feel to it. I also enjoyed the characters created of the chief, his wives, the china girl and friends, & the champions. I didn't enjoy how chalker threw in these sexual items in their I felt like it was done just to make it fit as a pulp scifi book. It distracted vs. added to it.. as if that was all the book came to. I felt the momentum for the first 1/2 then it sorta fizzled into nothing. Yet the first half had me intrested enough that if I actu ...more
Christopher Litsinger
One of those books that I could never possibly like if I hadn't read it when younger.
Pure pulp with all sort of swashbuckling, pulp silliness, and the writing isn't much better: stuff like "she certainly felt the strong cultural ties to her ancestors and their customs and ways very strongly" is sprinkled throughout the book.
This may be the weakest book in the series, which gets a little better (hard to say with a straight face) when it moves into space.
In spite of the awfulness, I have enough no
Ray McCarthy
Reminded me a little of Blakes 7 and also Harry Harrison.

Blake's 7 is earlier
Four 13-episode series of Blake's 7 were broadcast between 1978 and 1981. It was created by Terry Nation, who also created the Daleks for Doctor Who. The script editor was Chris Boucher. The series was inspired by a range of fictional media including Passage to Marseille, The Dirty Dozen, Robin Hood, Brave New World, Star Trek, classic Westerns and real-world political conflicts in South America and Israel.
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I did not expect to like this book as much as I did; however, the twists and turns of the plot intrigued me, as did the technology in the book and how it was skillfully woven into the plot. Certain elements of the narrative bothered me, but overall it was an enjoyable read. I would read on in the series. 3.5 stars.
Lew
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first of four books. It wasn't the greatest but it was good enough to continue on to Book 2. I had never heard of Jack Chalker until I found these a used book sale. You could call this a basic quest story complete with not one but four rings and it includes misfit group looking for them.
T J
Jan 29, 2015 rated it liked it
This book has it all from natives living primitive to space ships. Earth is ruled and regulated my a master computer and people are at it's mercy. This is a story about how a bunch of misfits decide independently to try to shut it off. Many story lines that come together.
Juan
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Amazing book with so much economical, socialogical, and technological future theory behind it. This book, or series, is not for the weak of heart. If you like your science fiction heavily saturated with elements of philosophical and higher thought, then you will thoroughly enjoy this.
Bill
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I almost stopped reading during the Indian climbing phase but it got a lot better once he was at the top and the story generally got better all around. I'd be willing to read the rest of the books, if I trip over them.
Mallory Bumb
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fantastic
It was an interesting read! There were some cool concepts that made reading the sci-fi book seem a bit unique to anything I had read before. The plot lines were good and compelling but the style of writing took a bit to get used to. Overall a good read. I will be reading the rest of the series.
Derek
Aug 09, 2012 added it
gotta love them microchips. interesting the thievery
MBybee
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent book and a fun read. Can't wait to continue the series!
Maria Judice
Mar 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Good bad sci-fi.
  • Matcher Rules
  • Star Trek Log One (Star Trek: Logs #1)
  • The End of All Songs (Dancers at the End of Time, #3)
  • Way of the Pilgrim
  • The Unreasoning Mask
  • Farthest Star
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)
  • The Breaking of Northwall (The Pelbar Cycle, #1)
  • Stowaway To Mars
  • Right of Passage
  • Whispers of the Dead (Miraibanashi, #1)
  • Deadman Switch
  • Dead Americans and Other Stories
  • The Rapture Effect
  • Chaining the Lady (Cluster, #2)
  • Jupiter War (Owner Trilogy, #3)
  • Ripper (Event Group Thriller #7)
Besides being a science fiction author, Jack Laurence Chalker was a Baltimore City Schools history teacher in Maryland for a time, a member of the Washington Science Fiction Association, and was involved in the founding of the Baltimore Science Fiction Society. Some of his books said that he was born in Norfolk, Virginia although he later claimed that was a mistake.

He attended all but one of the W
More about Jack L. Chalker

Rings of the Master (4 books)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)