Who's Your Author? discussion

Archives 2018 > Read 3 Books Quickie Challenge September 2018

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments WYA Read 3 Books Quickie Challenge
Duration: September 2018

Spring/Fall/Wattle Day/Bushfire Season a month early due to Drought

descriptiondescriptiondescription

Rules: Read at least 3 books from the options given

1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover.
3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet.
4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice.

message 2: by Tina (last edited Sep 08, 2018 12:23AM) (new)

Tina Bartz | 612 comments September WYA Quickie Challenge

Competed: 4/4 on 09/07/2018

✔ 1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre (Fantasy)-
Heir of Fire Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas 09/01/2018

✔ 2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover. (Wildflowers & roses in story; rose petals on cover)-
Reflections Reflections (Indexing, #2) by Seanan McGuire 09/03/2018

✔ 3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet.-
Double-Sided Magic Double-Sided Magic (Legacy, #1) by McKenzie Hunter 09/07/2018

✔ 4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice. (new relationship; new state, La, temporarily)-
Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1 Whiskey Witches - Complete Season 1 by S.M. Blooding 09/06/2018

message 3: by Leigh (last edited Sep 11, 2018 02:11PM) (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments I'm in!

WYA Read 3 Books Quickie Challenge

1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1) by Ilona Andrews 9/2
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover. Batman Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2) by Marie Lu 9/2
3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet. Divine Tarot (Elder Races, #3.5 & 4.5) by Thea Harrison 9/10
4. Read a book that has a new relationship Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre 9/11

message 4: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (last edited Sep 12, 2018 10:44PM) (new)

1/3 completed

1. PNR/UF/Fantasy genre
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover.
3. Out for a while: Ocean Light
4. New beginnings ~ Baby: Magic Triumphs 12/9/18 ★★★★★

Ocean Light (Psy-changeling Trinity, #2; Psy-changeling, #17) by Nalini Singh Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews

message 5: by Laurajean (last edited Sep 09, 2018 02:53PM) (new)

Laurajean Jones | 31 comments Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice. Circle of Death (Damask Circle, #2) by Keri Arthur
Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre Circle of Desire (Damask Circle, #3) by Keri Arthur
Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet A Bit of Bite by Cynthia Eden
finished 3

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Sep 14, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments Done! as of 9/13

1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark 9/1
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover. (A story about a garden club certainly fits.) The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1) by Susan Wittig Albert 9/13
3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet. (Considering this book came out in 1989, I'd say that's a while.) Thriller Diller (The Three Investigators Crimebusters, #6) by Megan Stine 9/2
4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice. The Tale of Hawthorn House (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #4) by Susan Wittig Albert 9/8

message 7: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Joseph, I loved the Three Investigators when I was a kid, looks like they've updated it, is it any good?

message 8: by Chrissy (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:21AM) (new)

Chrissy (bookwormchrissy) | 30 comments Rules: Read at least 3 books from the options given

Challenge completed 9/10

✔ 1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre
Night and Silence (October Daye #12) by Seanan McGuire ***** (read 9/04)

✔ 2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover.
On the Edge (The Edge, #1) by Ilona Andrews ***.5 (finished 9/08) -- The MC's name is Rose... does that count as flowers in the story? There's also some yellow in the cover, so I'm counting it ;)

✔ 3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet.
Magic Mourns (Kate Daniels, #3.5) by Ilona Andrews *** (read 9/08) and Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5) by Ilona Andrews **** (finished 9/09)
These also have yellow-ish covers, so I guess they could count for either 2. or 3.

✔ 4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice.
Iron and Magic (The Iron Covenant, #1) by Ilona Andrews **** (finished 9/10) which has a pretty big new beginning for Hugh.

message 9: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Sounds good to me Chrissy. Any month with that many IA books is wonderful.

message 10: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (bookwormchrissy) | 30 comments Sandra wrote: "Sounds good to me Chrissy. Any month with that many IA books is wonderful."

Definitely! With IA I'm in that wonderful stage of having discovered a new author and still having a backlist left to work through :)

message 11: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Whereas I'm savouring #10 but still just about finished it, cause then I've got nothing left :(

We may or may not get the next instalment of Innkeeper this weekend, they sound pretty tired & exhausted from the book tour & Dragoncon (on their blog).

message 12: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (bookwormchrissy) | 30 comments Sandra wrote: "Whereas I'm savouring #10 but still just about finished it, cause then I've got nothing left :(

We may or may not get the next instalment of Innkeeper this weekend, they sound pretty tired & exhau..."

Haven't read any Innkeeper so far, that series is next on my list of things to catch up on.
#10 is soooo good, right? I'm going to miss Kate, even if we're still getting other new stories in her world :(

message 13: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Love Innkeeper, so looking forward to the new novella in Hidden Legacy & absolutely on Kate & Curran :)

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne | 318 comments Let's try this month.

message 15: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments Sandra wrote: "Joseph, I loved the Three Investigators when I was a kid, looks like they've updated it, is it any good?"

Not updated as far as I can tell, at least not any more. They may have been at the time of printing, but considering the original series was from the 70s and the Crimebusters came out in the late 80s, I can't say reading a mystery where the boys go looking for a phone booth to drop a quarter in, for example, is very up to date. But that's part of the fun of reading them, going back in time. In fact, I wouldn't want to read an updated version like they did with Hardy Boys, I think that ruins the book.

message 16: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Yes I definitely agree with that. Some of them were the 60's, cause I read them then ~ just checked & yes mid to late 60's :)

message 17: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Congrats Tina!

message 18: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Hooray, Tina!

message 19: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (bookwormchrissy) | 30 comments Congrats Tina! What did you think of the Indexing books? It's the only Seanan McGuire series I haven't read yet (except for the ones under the Mira Grant name).

message 20: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 208 comments Chrissy wrote: "Congrats Tina! What did you think of the Indexing books? It's the only Seanan McGuire series I haven't read yet (except for the ones under the Mira Grant name)."

IMO, Indexing and its sequel Reflections are definitely a lot of fun to read. I gave them both 4 stars.

message 21: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Congrats Chrissy!

message 22: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Hooray, Chrissy! Well done!

message 23: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 612 comments Chrissy wrote: "Congrats Tina! What did you think of the Indexing books? It's the only Seanan McGuire series I haven't read yet (except for the ones under the Mira Grant name)."

I agree with Joseph...I really liked this series and I gave them four stars, also. I was intrigued by the Aarne-Thompson Classification Index for folktales and by several of the lesser known tales mentioned in the books. Thank goodness for Google, lol!

message 24: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 612 comments Leigh wrote: "Congrats Tina!"

Thank you!

message 25: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 612 comments Sandra wrote: "Hooray, Tina!"

Thank you!

message 26: by Tina (new)

Tina Bartz | 612 comments Thanks Chrissy, and congratulations to you!

message 27: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Finished!

WYA Read 3 Books Quickie Challenge

1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1) by Ilona Andrews 9/2
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover. Batman Nightwalker (DC Icons, #2) by Marie Lu 9/2
3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet. Divine Tarot (Elder Races, #3.5 & 4.5) by Thea Harrison 9/10
4. Read a book that has a new relationship Grimspace (Sirantha Jax, #1) by Ann Aguirre 9/11

message 28: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Hooray, Leigh!

message 29: by Abi (last edited Sep 11, 2018 06:04PM) (new)

Abi (booksa144) 1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre The Shadow Queen (Ravenspire, #1) by C.J. Redwine (read 9-1-2018)
2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover. A Bite Out of Love Werewolf Shifter Romance (A Monstrana Paranormal Romance Book 0) by Lacy Andersen (read 9-3-2018)
3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet. My Plain Jane (The Lady Janies, #2) by Cynthia Hand (read 9-6-2018)
4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice. Fooling Around With Cinderella (Storybook Valley #1) by Stacy Juba (read 9-8-2018)

message 30: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Hooray, Abi!

message 31: by Abi (new)

Abi (booksa144) Sandra wrote: "Hooray, Abi!"
Thank you!

message 32: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy (bookwormchrissy) | 30 comments Joseph wrote: "IMO, Indexing and its sequel Reflections are definitely a lot of fun to read. I gave them both 4 stars."

Tina wrote: "I agree with Joseph...I really liked this series and I gave them four stars, also. I was intrigued by the Aarne-Thompson Classification Index for folktales and by several of the lesser known tales mentioned in the books. Thank goodness for Google, lol!"

I guess I'll have to move Indexing up on my TBR then :)

message 33: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Thanks Sandra!

message 34: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Congrats Abi!

message 35: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 126 comments Who's Your Author?
Read 3 Books Quickie Challenge September 2018
Duration:
September 2018

Progress: 3 out of 3

1. Read a book from the PNR/UF/Fantasy genre

2. Read a book with a yellow cover or with flowers in the story or on the cover:
Uprooted by Naomi Novik - ***** - 9/10/2018 - 435 Pages - Yellow Cover

3. Read a book that's been out for a while but you haven't had a chance to read yet
The Masque of the Black Tulip by Lauren Willig - ***** - 9/20/2018 - 453 Pages

4. Read a book that has new beginnings either a baby or new relationship or a new puppy, something new, your choice.
Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen - ***** - 9/9/2018 - 304 Pages

Uprooted by Naomi Novik Garden Spells (Waverley Family, #1) by Sarah Addison Allen The Masque of the Black Tulip (Pink Carnation, #2) by Lauren Willig

message 36: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Congrats Suzanne!

message 37: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Hooray Suzanne!

message 38: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

3/3 completed

1. PNR/UF/Fantasy genre Secret Maneuvers 22/9/18 ★★★
3. Out for a while: Ocean Light 21/9/18 ★★★★★
4. New beginnings ~ Baby: Magic Triumphs 12/9/18 ★★★★★

Secret Maneuvers (Ex Ops #1) by Jessie Lane Ocean Light (Psy-changeling Trinity, #2; Psy-changeling, #17) by Nalini Singh Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews

message 39: by Leigh (new)

Leigh | 1180 comments Congrats Sandra!

message 40: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4552 comments Thanks Leigh :)