SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > What after the classics?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophie (new)

Sophie Garaglia | 1 comments Eragon, LOTR, Harry Potter, game of thrones... I read and loved them all! Any suggestions on what to read next?

After reading these classics I wonder if there are any other books which are as genius and well written as these! Suggestions? I really want to be swept away!

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1 comments My suggestion is "The First Law" trilogy by Joe Abercrombie!

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 291 comments Sophie wrote: "My suggestion is "The First Law" trilogy by Joe Abercrombie!"

I second Joe Abercrombie. I think you'll like Robin Hobb, starting with Assassin's Apprentice

Also, N.K. Jemisin, Ursula K. Le Guin, Catherynne M. Valente, Neil Gaiman.

For fantasy in a modern setting ( but certainly not what is usually referred to as Urban Fantasy ) Charles de Lint is probably one of the finest writers in an genre working today.

I think you're TBR list will grow with this thread! Enjoy!

message 4: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new)

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
You can't go wrong with A Wizard of Earthsea.

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Aug 28, 2018 05:02AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Oh, gosh. There's so many! Just get one of everything, start there ;-D

Well, if that sounds a bit much, you could try the other epic fantasy greats:

The Eye of the World
Gardens of the Moon
Pawn of Prophecy
The Way of Kings (this series isn't finished but it's seriously amazing so far)
The Name of the Wind (this is one of our present group re-reads!)
The Fifth Season (this might be perfect, a bit of GRRM's grimdark with the whole new world feeling of the others!)
We're also reading the fourth book in the Earthsea trilogy. The first three are short, starting with A Wizard of Earthsea and exquisitely well done. Maybe you can catch up and join in our discussion of Tehanu!

message 6: by Anthony (new)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I second and third many of the choices expressed here — especially the work of Le Guin and Jemisin — but I wanted to make an extra special seconding of Robin Hobb’s work, which I find to be quite spectacular, and which seems to be a little under many folks’ radar.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike I’d recommend Jack L. Chalker’s Dancing Gods series.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/4290...

What he does in these books is codify the tropes of Fantasy into actual rules of a fantastical world, and then each chapter of the story uses that rule. Since you’ve read a good deal of Fantasy, I think you’ll find these entertaining.

message 8: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Sophie wrote: "Eragon, LOTR, Harry Potter, game of thrones... I read and loved them all! Any suggestions on what to read next?

After reading these classics I wonder if there are any other books which are as geni..."

I would highly recommend the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson The first one is The Final Empire. It is one of my all time favorites with a very unique magic system.

If you're up for it, Allison's suggestion of Eye of the World by Robert Jordan is the first in the Wheel of Time series. It is 14 looong books, but one of my absolute favorites. Similarly, Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson is the first in the 10 book Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The Robin Hobb books are also great Fantasy I would recommend. There are a lot of them, but they are broken down into smaller series of 3 or 4 books each.

I love these threads because I get to talk about and remember some of my favorite books, as well as be reminded about some of the greats that I plan to read but haven't gotten around to yet.

message 9: by Rachel (last edited Aug 28, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

Rachel | 3 comments Sophie wrote: "Eragon, LOTR, Harry Potter, game of thrones... I read and loved them all! Any suggestions on what to read next?

After reading these classics I wonder if there are any other books which are as geni..."

What about the Gormenghast trilogy? A contemporary of Tolkein, Peake's writing is fantastical but can be a bit difficult to get into initially but definitely worth it in my opinion.
Titus Groan Gormenghast and Titus Alone

message 11: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Mark Lawrence is brilliant. Prince of Thorns might be a good place to start. It’s the start of the Broken Empire trilogy. Red Sister is the first in the Book of the Ancestor trilogy. Prince of Fools is the start of the Red Queens War trilogy. He’s apparently writing/has written a science fiction trilogy too.

If you’re ok with swearing and half orcs who are obsessed with sex then The Grey Bastards by Jonathan French is really good. The story and the action more than makes up for the swearing. I saw somewhere it’s like Sons Of Anarchy where they ride actual hogs. Never did watch Sons but yeah the bikies are half orcs and the hogs are actual pigs.

message 12: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Oh and Isabelle Carmody....brilliant.

message 13: by Clifford (new)

Clifford Wong | 1 comments After the books you mentioned
I would suggest the following
Magician by Raymond E Feist.
David Eddings books someone mention Pawn of Prophecy- excellent
L.E modesitt Jr - The magic of recluse

Some these are books that enjoyed so much that I read read them every couple of years.